• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mel Brooks says political correctness is the death of comedy.

East Lake

Mel Brooks can do what he wants.

My criticism of his personal view here is that he doesn't seem to acknowledge that other people might be operating from the same position he is, because he ties his view to such a loaded statement "PC is the death of comedy."
He didn't say his limit is the limit. To argue that he did is bs. If other people operate from the same position he does, then no jokes are off limits and comedians can feel free to explore whatever subject they may, while comedians individually avoid subjects at their own discretion.

If comedians operate according to your caricature of Mel Brooks' comments, then nobody tells holocaust jokes because they're offensive, and nobody can make a movie about Jesus because Jesus died and that's also offensive.

How about...maybe, comedy is evolving. Like it always has and will continue to. And if that means more people are being aware of the historical sensitivities of other groups, what's the big deal? That your racist joke won't be met with the same overwhelming social acceptance it once would have been?
This seems like a strawman. Are you arguing he wants to tell racist jokes but not jokes about the holocaust?

Oddish1

Maybe you should listen to the one guy that has done more to minimize and ridicule nazis than anyone else, hey?

this thread. you can tell who's young.

Who said that there are limits such as gas chambers or death of children or jews at the hands of nazis. I believe in the past he said he would never show a black man being lynched because it wouldn't be funny. So yes, we should listen to Mel Brooks admitting there are clearly limits on what can or cannot be seen as funny.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...rrect-society-death-comedy-warns-veteran/amp/

Well there you go, he won’t touch concentration camp jokes but everything is ok. Apparently it’s only pc gone mad if it doesn’t affect you personally.
That's not his only line. When he was making Blazing Saddles he made a comment that despite having a scene where Bart (the black sherrif) is headed to the gallows, he would never actually shown him hanging because the depiction of a black man being lynched would hurt too many people. That didn't stop him from making a hanging joke by having a horse headed to the gallows and even get a rope around its neck (and hanged off screen I believe).

royalan

He didn't say his limit is the limit. To argue that he did is bs. If other people operate from the same position he does, then no jokes are off limits and comedians can feel free to explore whatever subject they may, while comedians individually avoid subjects at their own discretion.

They can and they do! Nobody (at least in this country) is being persecuted for their comedy. Go ahead and tell the jokes you want to tell.

But you are NOT entitled to an accepting audience. And that's what all the whining about PC seems to boil down to.

And this doesn't mean that comedy is dead or that PC killed it. It just means that YOUR shit ain't funny anymore to a lot of people.

They can and they do! Nobody (at least in this country) is being persecuted for their comedy. Go ahead and tell the jokes you want to tell.

But you are NOT entitled to an accepting audience. And that's what all the whining about PC seems to boil down to.

And this doesn't mean that comedy is dead or that PC killed it. It just means that YOUR shit ain't funny anymore to a lot of people.
Yep

d00d3n

My go to response for the role of political correctness in comedy. BoJack Horesman's Raphael Bob-Waksberg sums it up perfectly in a VICE interview.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/...ship?utm_campaign=global&utm_source=vicefbanz

"Punching down" can lead to fantastic comedy though. Bill Burr is one of the best stand up comedians of all time, and most of his act consists of "punching down". South Park has been one of the best tv comedies for years, and it often punches down. It seems a bit hysterical to suggest that the world is worse off due a couple of unique comedy acts.

*Splinter

I think people are talking about 2 slightly different topics in this thread. People who "agree with Mel" say "no topic is off limits". People who "disagree with Mel" are a bit mixed but generally are more focused on his comments about PC culture being a problem / the death of comedy.

It seems that most of us actually agree on that first point - I think no topic should be off limits, but I don't think any topic actually is off limits.

Yeah you probably couldn't release Blazing Saddles today, but you can make the same jokes without saying "n***er" and release that. Is that change a sign of "the death of comedy"?

For example, this post by BocoDragon I basically agree with:
Comedy is actually about easing pain. Every joke trades on some kind of tragedy (even if it is a micro-tragedy like slipping on a banana peel). The humour reframes the pain as something which we can feel less profoundly shaken by and then allows us to move on with our lives.

And the best jokes strategically trade on society's darkest pains. This is why a Louis CK or Bill Burr set is way more hilarious than a knock knock joke or a"dad joke" (which we scoff at for being "safe" and not tackling real pains). The darkest shit makes for the best humour.

And this is why comedians often push back against restrictions on talking about certain pains. They need to be able to talk about disasters, racism, sexism, tragedy in order to deliver their medicine to the deepest wounds of society.

I would hope that they tackle these subjects in a way that cuts against them in a moral way (i.e. racist jokes that are clever digs against racism and racists >>> racist jokes that make fun of the perceived deficiencies of an ethnic group), but don't suspect the worst just because they ask for the freedom to play in the taboo darkness. They need that freedom or they can't even do what they do.
But it carries the implication that certain topics have become off limits to the detriment of comedy.

Boco do you think this has happened and can you give examples of topics we can't joke about? Or were you talking more about the fear of a censorship that hasn't happened yet?

I guess for a recent example how people were calling for Bill Maher's firing over his shitty joke. I'm fine with the consequence being lost viewers but trying to take away the whole show from his fans over one bad joke with an off limits word is some bullshit. Just call for an apology and move on. Rather a controversial joke be told followed by an apology and maybe a discussion about why it was inappropriate than a comedian hold back for fear of losing their job or advertisers.
I'm not going to disagree with your example (partly because I'm not that familiar with it) but if the backlash is around the use of "n***er" could he not have told the same joke without that word? If the only thing being censored is a racial slur then I don't think that's a bad thing?

I think you will agree that race and racism are not currently off limits for comedians?

CHC

Nobody should tell a holocaust joke but he's saying apart from holocaust jokes everything else is fine. Which is what I find a problem with.

I mean, yeah, that to me is the problem. I feel like you should kind of be all or nothing here. Mel Brooks is Jewish, the Holocaust is obviously an especially sensitive topic for Jewish people, thus it has personal meaning to him. So if you basically apply this attitude to every subject (i.e.; off-limits if it cuts deep for a given segment of the population) then you wind up where we are right now.

The problem is that these comedians are a bit biased. All they mean by political correctness is 'I don't want to be criticized for a joke.' A lot of the time comedy works off of a level of freedom of speech but when the comedian has other's rights to freedom of speech fed back to them, they can't hack it.

I mean, its relative. Brooks is saying that he wouldn't touch things that offend him but then side-swipes anything that would offend anyone else as stupid PC culture.

I don't think comedy should be stopped or regulated or banned unless it falls under individual laws of hate speech but I find the idea that comedians should shy away from criticism and not have to defend their art when that is what almost every other writer, filmmaker, songwriter has to do if someone takes issue as a bit stupid.

Comedians and comedy often seen held up as sacred or as though they shouldn't be criticized. They should be.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nothing should be off limits, and nothing is too soon.

And comedians should be given leeway to try and fail to make jokes. Takes time to develop. Don't do it on your special or your television show (cough Bill), but outside of that, they should feel free to take risks and audiences should support them.

I feel like the "PC is ruining comedy" is just an excuse by people who make bad jokes.

...in a thread about Mel Brooks?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Well there you go, he won’t touch concentration camp jokes but everything is ok. Apparently it’s only pc gone mad if it doesn’t affect you personally.

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.”

East Lake

So you've given up on the point that he's a hypocrite and now have shifted to the fairly general claim that comedy has evolved or something to better standards and these standards don't accommodate racists old men like Mel Brooks.

You know comedy is subjective right? Like maybe Mel has views on what comedy is or isn't and doesn't think people today appreciate it much. Don't hold up modern society as if it's some moral compass that negates what he's saying.

That's not his only line. When he was making Blazing Saddles he made a comment that despite having a scene where Bart (the black sherrif) is headed to the gallows, he would never actually shown him hanging because the depiction of a black man being lynched would hurt too many people. That didn't stop him from making a hanging joke by having a horse headed to the gallows and even get a rope around its neck (and hanged off screen I believe).

Word.

Yeah, I'm sure Brooks caught a lot of shit back then for even trying to make Blazing Saddles. It's kind of unfortunate he said it but he's definitely not like the usual dudes who complain about PC gone mad. It's like that Chappelle bit about Michael Richards fucking up lol

I like comedy with an edge. I don't expect everyone else to and it's the comic's problem if they can't handle the blowback from the audience. Although I take issue when people blow up over a single line or a word of mouth reputation while knowing nothing else regarding a performance. Parent reactions to The Simpsons in the 90s immediately comed to mind.

BTW - I know plenty of Holocaust jokes I've liked. South Park's "Death Camp of Tolerance" ironically comes to mind.

The problem is that these comedians are a bit biased. All they mean by political correctness is 'I don't want to be criticized for a joke.' A lot of the time comedy works off of a level of freedom of speech but when the comedian has other's rights to freedom of speech fed back to them, they can't hack it.

I mean, its relative. Brooks is saying that he wouldn't touch things that offend him but then side-swipes anything that would offend anyone else as stupid PC culture.

I don't think comedy should be stopped or regulated or banned unless it falls under individual laws of hate speech but I find the idea that comedians should shy away from criticism and not have to defend their art when that is what almost every other writer, filmmaker, songwriter has to do if someone takes issue as a bit stupid.

Comedians and comedy often seen held up as sacred or as though they shouldn't be criticized. They should be.

This! A hundred times this. Blaming the PC culture bogeyman is lazy distraction that plays into all the fears of dudes who are scared they can't say whatever they want without criticism. And that's not censorship or silence, that's just how the world works. Deal with it, Jerry Seinfeld.

Oddish1

And comedians should be given leeway to try and fail to make jokes. Takes time to develop. Don't do it on your special or your television show (cough Bill), but outside of that, they should feel free to take risks and audiences should support them.

A lot of good comedy is transgressive and hard to get right so I do think that it's understandable that it's difficult to keep up with a changing culture and changing transgressions so a little leeway is understandable and I think most people would probably agree. That said, audiences should not be obligated to support them. If a comedian loses audiences because of a tasteless joke then it's on them.

...in a thread about Mel Brooks?

Unless I'm forgetting something he hasn't done a lot great things recently.

8byte

Banned
Everything has humor in it. He's not wrong.

Everyone has their buttons, and now we live in a day and age where comedians often can't touch those buttons without consequences. Sometimes the consequences are just, sometimes they're way over the top.

royalan

So you've given up on the point that he's a hypocrite and now have shifted to the fairly general claim that comedy has evolved or something to better standards and these standards don't accommodate racists old men like Mel Brooks.

You know comedy is subjective right? Like maybe Mel has views on what comedy is or isn't and doesn't think people today appreciate it much. Don't hold up modern society as if it's some moral compass that negates what he's saying.

No, I still think he's a hypocrite. I think most people who rely on the PC argument are.

Mel has the right to believe what he wants, just like all comedians have the right to tell the jokes to hey want to tell. And in both cases, I reserve the right to criticize them for it.

Airola

But that has always been the case, and will continue to be the case. This is exactly how comedy "evolves," because as one thing becomes off-limits, other things become funny.

We always weep over jokes of the past no longer being accepted. Think about that in the reverse. How much of what we find hilarious today would have been funny 50 years ago. Judging by the look my grandmother gives me when I crack a joke, not very much.

I think there are three reasons your grandmother would give you that look.
1) She understands the joke but it isn't funny to her because, well, the joke just isn't good.
2) She doesn't understand the joke because, for example, she doesn't know what you are referring to with the joke (maybe it's about a meme or a celebrity or an invention she hasn't even heard about).
3) She is offended by the joke.

And at the same time:
1) You have your own reasoning what makes a joke funny.
2) You know about different things than your grandmother knows about.
3) You don't get why she would be offended by something you aren't offended about.

I don't think any of these have anything to do with jokes evolving.
A joke is a joke. It's our understanding of the world that either makes it or breaks it for each person. But as long as your grandmother lives she probably laughs at different things and you give her the same looks for the exact same reasons she gives them to you. Based on that no one can say if the jokes have been evolved or devolved. You would probably think they have evolved but your grandmother might thing they have devolved. But the only thing that is certain is that people's opinions and understanding of the world have changed.

Probably your grandchildren will be cracking jokes that will make you give them the look. And those jokes might offend you. Would you then say comedy has evolved or devolved? Or have people's opinions and understanding of the world just changed?

*Splinter

Everything has humor in it. He's not wrong.

Everyone has their buttons, and now we live in a day and age where comedians often can't touch those buttons without consequences. Sometimes the consequences are just, sometimes they're way over the top.
Examples?

Someone already gave Maher as an exam but as far as I know he's still gainfully employed and has his own show.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nothing's off limits if you can frame the joke well and follow through on it. There's plenty of modern comics that hit on taboo words and subjects and 'get away' with things your average person couldn't, because they're good at their craft, set up the punchlines well, and get laughs.

The problem with most people shouting "PC!" like it's a gag order is that they just want to pepper their conversations with epithets, they don't want to do the extra work to contextualize the vile shit or turn it on it's head, they just want to say vile shit and let it lie. The 'joke' of saying these things goes no deeper than "I said something offensive, isn't that hilarious?" No, no it isn't.

I would argue that the democratizing power of the internet, and the destruction of traditional filters, has led to a further lowest common denominatorification of many forms of media, comedy included, of which I would consider some to much of PC to be a subset. Nobody is entitled to an accepting audience, but the expectation that an audience needs to meet an artist halfway and not just lazily sieve everything through their own personal biases and neuroses appears to have eroded.

I largely blame capitalism, not PC, for this, however. It's the same BS you see on college campus where extremism that would have been laughed off by administrations past is now catered to because the commoditization of everything pushes culture toward a bland inoffensiveness.

Dude Abides

Banned
PC is killing comedy so much that a guy who tells lame jokes about transgender people just had two big Netflix specials and a run at Radio City.

East Lake

No, I still think he's a hypocrite. I think most people who rely on the PC argument are.
Well you're not making a great case for it.

Mel has the right to believe what he wants, just like all comedians have the right to tell the jokes to hey want to tell. And in both cases, I reserve the right to criticize them for it.
This is like saying I reserve the right to complain about the movie I watched. People care about the logic of your complaint, which is incoherent, not your right to do it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
IFor example, this post by BocoDragon I basically agree with:

But it carries the implication that certain topics have become off limits to the detriment of comedy.

Boco do you think this has happened and can you give examples of topics we can't joke about? Or were you talking more about the fear of a censorship that hasn't happened yet?

I'm not worried about any kind of PC censorship. Not in this moment of history (I mean Trump is president).

Just a commentary on attitudes (some of which are in this thread) that there are topics that are taboo, should be taboo, and that asking for the permission to joke about them implies some moral failing (i.e. you're a secret bigot or a milkshake duck, etc).

My point was that the inherent mechanics of comedy are to shine light on painful issues in society... so we shouldn't be surprised that comedians "ask" for the right to joke about sensitive topics because sensitive topics are the whole point of humour itself.

I would only push back against readings of comedians asking for the right to talk about taboo subjects as some secret request to be a bigot and make bigoted jokes. It's a secret request to be a comedian.

Cyframe

Question. If a comedian was booed at the Apollo Theater would people accuse the audience of being offended and too PC? If anything I feel like the bar for comedy has been lowered and people who say rather egregious things try to veil themselves with the lens of telling a joke, when that wasn't their intention, to begin with.

If a comedian tells a joke and the audience isn't receptive, that's on the comedian, not the audience. If you cannot read the audience, you aren't going to have a long-lasting career as a comedian.

Also, people have different life experiences and nothing is worse than someone who hasn't dealt with a topic personally telling others that they shouldn't be offended (that they aren't allowed to give an opinion).

I don't particularly like Louis CK because of his rather liberal use of the n-word. Do I think he should be silenced? No. But I'm not going to be lectured by white people who never had that particular racial slur aimed at them explaining 'comedy' to me.

I just wonder why those quick to dismiss offense won't have a dialogue with people instead of characterizing them as crybabies.

KaYotiX

Banned
It's a movie that has a ton of racial jokes, the n-word gets used a lot for the sake of comedy, there's a ton of rape jokes as well. It's a really funny movie that would absolutely not be made in 2017.

Movie is amazing and yeah no way in hell would it fly today.

I'm kinda surprised people aren't trying to get it removed like they did with Dukes of Hazard :p

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't think anything should be off limits in comedy, people should be free to cause offence and free to take offence as well. The audience will decide what they like or don't like.

If you want to deal with a taboo subject then be prepared for a backlash if the joke isn't funny. The line between jocular/malicious can be a very thin one.

Eidan

Comedy is one of humanity's longest enduring forms of entertainment. It will survive people telling you your rape joke wasn't funny.

Chris rock had a much better take on this. Or basically expressed the similar concerns a bit better, at least in regards to stand up.

Wish I could find the article, but he basically said he didn't necessary think anything was off limits, but it's just that even though really experienced comedians get how to construct their act in bits involving touchy subjects because they've been through it for so long, a lot of younger comedians don't. Louis CK and George Carlin didn't come out of the womb knowing how to tell jokes like they do. And if every club they were at when they were younger in their career had people recording them with video evidence then it could have killed them

There just really isn't an environment that is conducive to allowing comedians to "test" out their jokes. Because it's hard for them to know how others with interpret it or how things will come off, and what they need to say to make it play better with an audience. But there's a significantly shrinking "margin" for error now. And it might not seem like much but apparently according to him the current environment around comedy is dissuading younger people from getting into comedy all together because it's too stressful for some. Like I think even Chapelle makes everyone check their cellphones at the door when he's testing out a set

Personally I would have tested his knewer ones a little bit more before releasing them but you get the idea

Seesaw15

"Punching down" can lead to fantastic comedy though. Bill Burr is one of the best stand up comedians of all time, and most of his act consists of "punching down". South Park has been one of the best tv comedies for years, and it often punches down. It seems a bit hysterical to suggest that the world is worse off due a couple of unique comedy acts.

No where in the interview did they say "punching down" was wrong just to know your audience and be cognizant of why you're making the joke.

*Splinter

This is like saying I reserve the right to complain about the movie I watched. People care about the logic of your complaint, which is incoherent, not your right to do it.
But people complaining about PC are trying to limit that right to complain?

Here's a post that literally says comedians should be allowed to say anything but audiences shouldn't be allowed to criticise them for it:

Also even if the logic of the complaints is just "I dont like this because I find it offensive" then... is that incoherent? I don't think anything royalan has said has been unreasonable.

royalan

Things that were once funny can become not funny over time. That doesn't mean comedy is dead.

Feel free to disagree with that if you want.

I think there are three reasons your grandmother would give you that look.
1) She understands the joke but it isn't funny to her because, well, the joke just isn't good.
2) She doesn't understand the joke because, for example, she doesn't know what you are referring to with the joke (maybe it's about a meme or a celebrity or an invention she hasn't even heard about).
3) She is offended by the joke.

And at the same time:
1) You have your own reasoning what makes a joke funny.
2) You know about different things than your grandmother knows about.
3) You don't get why she would be offended by something you aren't offended about.

I don't think any of these have anything to do with jokes evolving.
A joke is a joke. It's our understanding of the world that either makes it or breaks it for each person. But as long as your grandmother lives she probably laughs at different things and you give her the same looks for the exact same reasons she gives them to you. Based on that no one can say if the jokes have been evolved or devolved. You would probably think they have evolved but your grandmother might thing they have devolved. But the only thing that is certain is that people's opinions and understanding of the world have changed.

Probably your grandchildren will be cracking jokes that will make you give them the look. And those jokes might offend you. Would you then say comedy has evolved or devolved? Or have people's opinions and understanding of the world just changed?

There's also:

4) A lot of comedy is contextual, and requires a shared lived experience. This can be lost across generations.

I'd argue that changed = evolved, by how you're using it.

No where in the interview did they say "punching down" was wrong just to know your audience and be cognizant of why you're making the joke.

Stand up comedian makes a joke at a club, one person gets offended, whines about it on twitter/facebook/snapface (BB reference) and somebody picks it up. Next thing you know, the comedian is apologizing. I'd rather have the comedian tell the customers who don't like the jokes to stay away.

I'm not seeing how his refusal to personally take on Holocaust jokes is somehow a violation of his point. He's saying that he personally won't take that subject on: he's not saying that it should never, under any circumstances, be the basis for comedy which is the broader type of thinking that he's arguing against.

The fact that his point is being missed by a portion of posters here isn't exactly a surprise. If competitive outrage were an Olympic sport, we'd field a championship team from our ranks every time.

Airola

Well for starters I don't think filmmakers, writers and songwriters should defend their art either. And I think it's a bit worrying that they have to and now comedians are getting close to having to do that too.

What people are concerned with when they are talking about things being too "PC" is that while people have always criticized things and it mostly has been about people just stating their dislike about things, with modern media it has already been seen how so called "internet mobs" start spreading their opinions about a person and while that in itself isn't a bad thing yet it has turned into public shaming (as if a certain negative quality in a person would make the person completely evil and subject to ridicule and shame) and calls for getting people fired.

People are concerned that the threshold for what makes a person subject to being publicly shamed and potentially lose their job is getting lower and lower. Like, one wrong word and you are out. You joke about one wrong thing and that's it, you have become a lesser person.

This makes people censor themselves in a manner that will eventually hurt what comedy can be. I think this is what people are concerned about. It's not just about people not able to take criticism. Hell, I would say most comedians have had absolutely dreadful performances or made works that have had tons of criticism pointed towards them. It's not as if they haven't taken criticism before or if they can take criticism. That's not why they are worried today. It's that people have become critics and judges and the executives who can have power in more than just telling the joke or the movie is bad. And people are using politics to do it. People are using politics to tell what is moral and they are using that to criticize instead of just the quality of the joke, and in worst cases it escalates into more than just mere criticism.

Eidan

People complaining about political correctness destroying comedy.,,exactly what do you want people to do? I mean so many arguments about "PC run amok" advocate so passionately for a person to be able to say what they want, so why do you want audiences to keep their mouths shut if they dislike something?

Good jokes can be made about anything. The problem with jokes about sensitive, controversial or painful issues is that you have to be an absolutely phenomenal comedian to pull those off and not sound like a hateful idiot or a cold-hearted asshole. Most comedians think that they are on that level but they really aren't. So when they try such a joke and it offends or upsets people they don't think "man I botched that joke hard, I need to improve my comedy skills before trying something like that again". Their ego makes them think "I told a great joke but damn political correctness is stopping people from acknowledging my brilliance".

The only problem with political correctness and comedy that I have personally noticed is that sometimes a bad joke that should make people think "that dude is a shit comedian" is interpreted as "that dude is a horrible racist/homophobe/bigot". Like Jim Jefferies likes to point out, saying stuff to get laughs doesn't mean that you actually believe them. It's an act, a performance and it should be criticized as such.

gamz

Stand up comedian makes a joke at a club, one person gets offended, whines about it on twitter/facebook/snapface (BB reference) and somebody picks it up. Next thing you know, the comedian is apologizing. I'd rather have the comedian tell the customers who don't like the jokes to stay away.

It depends on the comic and joke. Howard Stern goes places where others can't. Same for the late Joan Rivers.

Top Bottom