• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Tales of' Producer Hideo Baba Talks About His New Studio/Project With Square Enix

Sounds like Baba wants to make something more akin to Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Symphonia (maybe more leaning towards Phantasia), though the light-heartedness without a "blood-thristy atmosphere" makes me think of older RPGs where you experience the world at a slower pace and are allowed to take in the surroundings while evil still looms in the shadows and (through the course of your adventure), you peel back the layers of what's afoot. Nowadays, it seems like more RPGs are "danger, danger, danger" and urgency (no time to rest, bad things are HAPPENING!!). As a result, you are rushing around because the danger's on your tail. There is still mystery, but not like before. Where as, in older RPGs, the mystery might have been "what is the threat?" (there is a hint something is going on, but that's uncovered throughout the adventure), the threat is very clear in newer RPGs, but the specific individual (and motive) behind it might still be unknown (and revealed via a twist).

Some Nobody

One of the worst shounen franchises of all time made by an author who previously made IMO one of the best shounen manga of all time

It could be nothing else but Fairy Tail

So this is just going to be a thread where people say wrong things. Cool, let me join in:

This is clearly where the next Final Fantasy comes from, right?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So this is just going to be a thread where people say wrong things. Cool, let me join in:

lol. its true though.

an overabundance of fanservice to mask paper thin plot contrivance nonsense with inexplicable outcomes based on nothing but because the writer felt it would be cool without thinking about anything else

Cornbread78

What are these from?

Fairy Tail. It's a harmless and fun Anime. Yes it's generic, yes it relies a lot on the "Power of Friendship," but you know what? The characters are unique, the world is beautiful and it's just a fun show to watch. Granted I've only gotten through about 80 episodes out of a couple hundred so far, lol. With that being said, here have been some really REALLY good moments so far in the show.

The lighthearted, bright and fun world from anime/Manga would fit perfectly with this show.

Oh and you've probably heard the theme before because it is great:

https://youtu.be/wxiGYKqCgA4
(This is a long looping version)

LOL, savage.

Byvar

So since the studio is called Istolia, the games they make will be... Tales of Istolia?
Did he steal the next Tales title for his new company?

The way he describes it sounds pretty good, though. Character-focused RPGs on consoles are great.

Wagram

Star Ocean has never been a good series though. It literally has not had a single good game in 5 entries. I feel like people keep forgetting this.

That's because you believe your opinion is the one and only true one. I like Star Ocean 1 through 4 a lot. Must mean they're total shit because YOU say so?

That's because you believe your opinion is the one and only true one. I like Star Ocean 1 through 4 a lot. Must mean they're total shit because YOU say so?

It's okay to like bad games. Hell I like SO4 too even though it has admittedly has some of the worst writing in jRPG history (which is why I find it entertaining).

FirLocke

Quite liking the sound of this! Chocobo series art is brilliant as well, nice to see it perhaps getting some limelight.

Brokun

(What platforms will it be released for?) I don’t know what it will become in the end, but we have a strong desire to stick with stationary consoles. However, I also want to consider platforms with business chances, including smartphones.

Well this is encouraging. A new RPG at Square that isn't Final Fantasy and I immediately jump to mobile game. I do like Tales games but I'm generally not a fan of the battle system. I'm interested to see where he takes this new project on a Square Enix budget.

Oregano

Well this is encouraging. A new RPG at Square that isn't Final Fantasy and I immediately jump to mobile game. I do like Tales games but I'm generally not a fan of the battle system. I'm interested to see where he takes this new project on a Square Enix budget.

I wonder what system he could possibly mean? There's so many stationary consoles on the market like the PS4 and.... the PS4 Pro.

cafemomo

Finally a tales game that stars Lightning
Bvlm1WSIUAAYszo.jpg

ubercheez

I like that he says he wants to focus on consoles. Slight glimmer of hope. Although he does go right on to talk about business opportunities on mobile, bleh.

i don't know, its always had annual releases...how much more commercialized has it really gotten? They've always really not broken any sort of mold outside of being safe entrees for RPG fans to get into

Dunno about the whole "affecting the story and characters" bit in the post you quoted, but I'm still annoyed that additional costumes are almost all DLC instead of side quest unlockables from Graces onward.

Top Bottom