• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins October Previews

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Dear God, that's a lot of viewpoints to unlock.

58 to be exact. I for one love the viewpoints. Fast travel, updates my world map, get to see an amazing view of Egypt and is connected to Senu.

So tempted to get a PS4 Pro for this. My daughter has been eyeing my PS4 so tempting to justify a Pro so I can let her have it, haha. She's also a huge fan of AC (she's completed more of them than I have). Is it a good time to jump in to the Pro? I read that a batch of them were noisy. Also, is the performance difference between the standard and Pro going to be eye-popping for AC:O I wonder? Too bad it is too early for comparison videos.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I’ve found contradicting information regarding the HDR support.
Will the PS4Pro version support it?

So tempted to get a PS4 Pro for this. My daughter has been eyeing my PS4 so tempting to justify a Pro so I can let her have it, haha. She's also a huge fan of AC (she's completed more of them than I have). Is it a good time to jump in to the Pro? I read that a batch of them were noisy. Also, is the performance difference between the standard and Pro going to be eye-popping for AC:O I wonder? Too bad it is too early for comparison videos.
Form what i have heard PS4 Pros are generally more silent than original PS4 models. Mine is surely more silent.
Wether or not it is the right time for you to jump in with a Pro depends on if you own a 4k TV or not. If you do it will most definitley improve your expierience visually.:
Higher Rsolution
Better draw distance
There should be no difference performance-wise (as in FPS) though.

Truant

One thing Witcher 3 did better than any other open world I’ve played was the sense of realistic scale and the shift from wilderness to countryside to outskirts to suburbs to city. It felt completely natural

The footage I’ve seen of Origins looks similar, with the sizable wilderness, the little villages, the larger costal towns, and the huge cities

Yeah, no other open world game has really managed to get both scale and proportions right.

Mifec

I'd rec a PC over a pro since you already own a PS4 but I know that a lot of people with kids on gaf don't want to bother with them.

shiba5

I'm dying for some Ps4 footage ;_;

Me too. I'm a bit worried how it's going to look on the Pro compared to the X1X since that's all we've seen.

I love my Pro and if you have a 4K TV, the difference is pretty substantial. HDR makes it even better.
I have a regular PS4 on a 1080P TV and Destiny 2 looks significantly worse on it.
Mine is quiet but not as quiet as my regular PS4.

J3ffro

In the last week or so I've gone from "yeah, at some point I'll pick it up when I've stalled on Destiny 2" to day one or so.

Now just to wait for impressions on PC performance vs PS4. Leaning heavily PC because it's substantially more powerful than the PS4, but worries about the PC ports of yesteryear.

Form what i have heard PS4 Pros are generally more silent than original PS4 models. Mine is surely more silent.
Wether or not it is the right time for you to jump in with a Pro depends on if you own a 4k TV or not. If you do it will most definitley improve your expierience visually.:
Higher Rsolution
Better draw distance
There should be no difference performance-wise (as in FPS) though.

Have a 65" Samsung KS8000, so probably worth it to just take the plunge. Also have Horizon and it was nice even on the PS4, would be nice to have the better visuals in time for the DLC.

I'd rec a PC over a pro since you already own a PS4 but I know that a lot of people with kids on gaf don't want to bother with them.

Yeah, I've sort of moved on from PC gaming largely. I spend 8+ hours tethered to a PC at work, not too eager to get home and do that. And while I could get a better living room PC (I have an Alpha) I just find myself gravitating towards consoles for ease of use.

Me too. I'm a bit worried how it's going to look on the Pro compared to the X1X since that's all we've seen.

I love my Pro and if you have a 4K TV, the difference is pretty substantial. HDR makes it even better.
I have a regular PS4 on a 1080P TV and Destiny 2 looks significantly worse on it.
Mine is quiet but not as quiet as my regular PS4.

I can't remember, does the regular PS4 not do HDR? I thought I had HDR when playing Horizon but maybe I'm just misremembering. Still, sounds like I should get a PS4 Pro for sure.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Seems we don't have a dedicated spoiler thread, but here we go, click at your own risk.

Massive Origins Spoiler:
Playable 3rd person Modern Day is back and you play as a character named Layla

CrazyDude

I hope they actually develop the historical characters. I feel like after the Ezio trilogy the series has used the historical characters like a conveyor belt. It just felt like it, "Hey look it's that famous person!" and they're no longer involved in the story after that.

shiba5

Have a 65" Samsung KS8000, so probably worth it to just take the plunge. Also have Horizon and it was nice even on the PS4, would be nice to have the better visuals in time for the DLC.

Yeah, I've sort of moved on from PC gaming largely. I spend 8+ hours tethered to a PC at work, not too eager to get home and do that. And while I could get a better living room PC (I have an Alpha) I just find myself gravitating towards consoles for ease of use.

I can't remember, does the regular PS4 not do HDR? I thought I had HDR when playing Horizon but maybe I'm just misremembering. Still, sounds like I should get a PS4 Pro for sure.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

The original does do HDR.
You have the same TV I do. Horizon on the Pro will blow your mind.

Theorry

Some footage from Twitch con. Not the best looking because of the stream but some cool stuff and the player is decent. Those hallucination are awesome btw. So longer in the desert wiill affect Bayek.

Animal Taming
Senu Marking
Poisoning Combat
Traps
Viewpoint Synchronization
Egyptian Astrology/Gods
Tomb Exploration
Underwater Exploration
Desert Character Effects/Hallucinations
World Boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIMkyqlhpCs

AnxiousSecondhandCoqui-size_restricted.gif

That shadow on the right tho.

Dunan

Huge. Devs compared it to Black Flag’s, but mostly all land

AC-Origins-full-map.jpg

I'm not even looking at the map; I'm looking at those hieroglyphs on the left.

They look real.

Many of the signs you see in those columns are real Egyptian phonetic signs, which usually consist of one, two, or three consonants:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration_of_Ancient_Egyptian#Uniliteral_signs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_biliteral_signs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_triliteral_signs

I know a guy who can read these things (and speaks Coptic, which is "modern Egyptian") and want to show it to him. One of the things that made AC2 into an absolutely amazing game was all the stuff they hid in the backgrounds like this. They abandoned this in the later games and if it is coming back, I'll be buying this game. (They got a day-one purchase of Brotherhood from me basically because I wanted to be the first to solve some of those puzzles. Do it again, Ubisoft!)

Simo

I believe the same hieroglyphics were put up as a giant ad in Australia and there was a Twitter thread where someone actually deciphered it, and yes it's actually a message.

I'll have to find it but i believe Kotaku did a story on it too. The message was basically the Assassin's order code iirc.

I think some early review copies are now out? Thought I saw someone on Twitter from some PS Trophies website installing the game. The game is also out in the middle east, per usual, along with Wolfenstein 2. If you go to the Live from PlayStation tab on your console someone uploaded a screenshot that looks to of been taken in photo mode too.

ISee

I cant wait to explore Alexandria. Ancient Egypt is such an interesting period.

This and the modern day stuff picked my interest and made me preorder it.
Now let's hope for solid PC performance, like in WD_2.

Another topic, I already asked this in another thread, but didn't get an answer: When are reviews supposed to come online?

I'm not even looking at the map; I'm looking at those hieroglyphs on the left.

They look real.

Many of the signs you see in those columns are real Egyptian phonetic signs, which usually consist of one, two, or three consonants:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration_of_Ancient_Egyptian#Uniliteral_signs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_biliteral_signs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_triliteral_signs

I know a guy who can read these things (and speaks Coptic, which is "modern Egyptian") and want to show it to him. One of the things that made AC2 into an absolutely amazing game was all the stuff they hid in the backgrounds like this. They abandoned this in the later games and if it is coming back, I'll be buying this game. (They got a day-one purchase of Brotherhood from me basically because I wanted to be the first to solve some of those puzzles. Do it again, Ubisoft!)

Not only are they real, and capable of being translated, but Ubisoft learnt so much from this project that they've teamed up with Google to create an AI, machine-learning, translation tool for hieroglyphs. It's huge for this field of ancient history.

Coupled with the education mode that they're patching into Origins next year, I've never been so excited by how much video games can offer to the world.

dex3108

This and the modern day stuff picked my interest and made me preorder it.
Now let's hope for solid PC performance, like in WD_2.

Another topic, I already asked this in another thread, but didn't get an answer: When are reviews supposed to come online?

Probably day before release.

I'm avoiding the videos and everything since I want to go in fresh. But have the media said anything about NPCs? I loved the many many different NPCs in Watch_Dogs 2 and their behavior which made that city look very alive. Anything been said about ACO?

Not only are they real, and capable of being translated, but Ubisoft learnt so much from this project that they've teamed up with Google to create an AI, machine-learning, translation tool for hieroglyphs. It's huge for this field of ancient history.

Coupled with the education mode that they're patching into Origins next year, I've never been so excited by how much video games can offer to the world.

That's amazing. For better or worse, Ubisoft really, really take the franchise seriously.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm avoiding the videos and everything since I want to go in fresh. But have the media said anything about NPCs? I loved the many many different NPCs in Watch_Dogs 2 and their behavior which made that city look very alive. Anything been said about ACO?
So far the world and its inhabitants look really good. NPCs seem to have their daily routines and work. All seems very lifelike.

Sanctuary

This might actually be the first AC game that I'll be able to stand playing more than five or six hours after finishing AC2. I don't need the combat to be as refined as the best out there (and I never expect this series to come close anyway), but it has to be more than the non-event that it was in all of the previous games. These previews read as though it will be quite the change. Plus, the region and era is probably the most interesting to me that it's been in a while.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Do you know a good place to pre-order it for PC ?

Btw I'm not sure whether I should go with PS4 version or PC ? (I have a 1080 on PC and have a PS4 Pro)
CDkeys

GTX 1080 is more powerful than a PS4Pro, so it depends on what your preferences are, what CPU you are using and what kind of media setup you are using.
My PC isnt hooked up to a 4kTV, so i vastly prefer my PS4Pro.

Some footage from Twitch con. Not the best looking because of the stream but some cool stuff and the player is decent. Those hallucination are awesome btw. So longer in the desert wiill affect Bayek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIMkyqlhpCs

That shadow on the right tho.

Holy fuck this is the best looking AC game ever and maybe even the best looking open world game of the year. I've been wanting the Egypt setting ever since this franchise was created and this looks like a majestic realization of it.

So far the world and its inhabitants look really good. NPCs seem to have their daily routines and work. All seems very lifelike.

Awesome. I am very much looking forward to exploring and checking out what they are doing.

Tell me about it. I wanna see how this runs/looks on standard PS4s and the lack of footage is really worrying me.

Don't worry, it's exactly the same as how Bungie didn't once show Destiny 2 on Xbox One and it turned out fine. It's all due to marketing deals.

RPGCrazied

Tell me about it. I wanna see how this runs/looks on standard PS4s and the lack of footage is really worrying me.

Me too. Unity at launch was a mess. I don't know about Syndicate because I got that game a year after it was out and for the most part was fine. It was 900p though with drops, so its not the best I was hoping.

I fear for this game at launch. Maybe I'll play Mario Odyssey first if Origins is broken. Surely they will fix it.

CDkeys

GTX 1080 is more powerful than a PS4Pro, so it depends on what your preferences are, what CPU you are using and what kind of media setup you are using.
My PC isnt hooked up to a 4kTV, so i vastly prefer my PS4Pro.

i7 6800K and 2K screen. It could be nice to play it on a TV but I kinda want to play it on PC with highest settings possible but when I play games on PC, I usually rush to finish it I don't know why. Maybe I just have to change my chair. lol

Me too. Unity at launch was a mess. I don't know about Syndicate because I got that game a year after it was out and for the most part was fine. It was 900p though with drops, so its not the best I was hoping.

I fear for this game at launch. Maybe I'll play Mario Odyssey first if Origins is broken. Surely they will fix it.

No way they will make the same mistake twice. These are the creators from Black Flag. I am sure it will run fine on the PS4.

Top Bottom