• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
This campaign caps at 1.25 million views.

Microsoft is paying $3750. Total. This is nothing.

A hooker that's cheaper than a can of soda is still a prostitute though :p

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Why would this be illegal?

For the new page:

"The FTC recently amended its Guides Concerning the Use of
Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising (the “Guides”), which
address endorsements by consumers, experts, organizations, and
celebrities in advertising. The amendments, which took effect on
December 1, 2009, clarify – among other things – how the Guides
apply in the context of social and other “new media”.
The amendments to the Guides add examples to illustrate how the
longstanding requirements that “material connections”
(e.g, compensation arrangements) between advertisers and consumer
endorsers must be disclosed. Under the Guides, a material
connection is one that consumers generally would not expect and
that may affect the credibility or weight of the endorsement.
In determining whether a disclosure is required, the threshold
issue is whether an endorsement was made. If a blogger was paid
to blog about the marketer’s product, the blogger’s favorable blog
posts concerning the product will likely be considered an
endorsement under the Guides."

FiggyCal

Banned
This campaign caps at 1.25 million views.

Microsoft is paying $3750. Total. This is nothing.

Yes it really isn't. They're actually taking the cheap route with this. They stop paying after 1.25 mil views, but the videos are still out on the web and collecting more views and the producers get no money for it. So basically we won't see any big youtubers sell out (at least not with this particular promotion). The story was a lot more interesting before we knew the details.

JABEE

Really boggles my mind as to why people would have problem with this. How is it different from say MS, Sony or even publishers paying to advertise on a site like GiantBomb or IGN?
They are clearly labelled as ads?

Osiris

No, that tag tells the viewer nothing.

Disclosure is usually in the form of "This promotion brought to you by..." or similar.

JABEE

So, lets see what the FTC have to say, in their own words:

Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising

Yep, look at Section 255.5, if they don't disclose that they have been materially compensated for the promotion, they have broken the law.

Interestingly, Example 7 is specifically about Video Games & Videogame hardware.
Oh, let the games begin. :D
These kind of promotions have been happening for awhile with what is referred to as "Mommy Bloggers." Starting blogs to solicit free products. This is a case of creating normal videos with endorsements in them without disclosure.

Wouldn't the tag be sufficient?

Yea, I'm not a lawyer but I'm not buying that this is illegal. If a celebrity is paid to endorse a product, to what lengths do they have to go to disclose the agreement? I don't pay a ton of attention but it doesn't seem like Peyton Manning is required to say "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza, Papa John's paid me."

Einbroch

Banned
Yea, I'm not a lawyer but I'm not buying that this is illegal. If a celebrity is paid to endorse a product, to what lengths do they have to go to disclose the agreement? I don't pay a ton of attention but it doesn't seem like Peyton Manning is required to say "Better Ingredients, Better Pizza, Papa John's paid me."
Those are commercials made by the company. These are not made by Microsoft.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So at this point, it's up to people on Youtube to state that they're getting paid to promote the Xbox? As far as I can tell, it's still MS paying for advertising/paid testimonials. I don't get pissy when Giant Bomb promotes Stamps.com at the beginning of their podcast. In fact I hope they get different advertisers because they're killing it with those promotions.

The only thing I can see as being shady are the Youtubers who don't disclose that information. That's not really MS' fault tbh. That's on Machinima and the people promoting the Xbox One for the money. They have to make sure the viewer knows that at that point they're advertising.

Chobel

So at this point, it's up to people on Youtube to state that they're getting paid to promote the Xbox? As far as I can tell, it's still MS paying for advertising/paid testimonials. I don't get pissy when Giant Bomb promotes Stamps.com at the beginning of their podcast. In fact I hope they get different advertisers because they're killing it with those promotions.

The only thing I can see as being shady are the Youtubers who don't disclose that information. That's not really MS' fault tbh. That's on Machinima and the people promoting the Xbox One for the money.

Why do you blame the people when it's clearly that disclosing information isn't a mentioned at all?

proxy.png

Those are commercials made by the company. These are not made by Microsoft.

But they are a part of a network which is being paid and is participating in a promoting by MS. And they use the tag associated with the promotion.

I'm just trying to identify what it is that is legally expected of them to disclose that they are part of the promotion. Do they have to say so verbally? In the description? Why is the tag not an acceptable flag?

Once again, I don't think this is good practice but I think it's a stretch to think it's illegal, in my uninformed opinion.

Osiris

That is already covered under the FTC's guidelines, as are the requirements and responsibilities of bloggers and other 3rd party endorsers. Read them for yourself.

Why do you blame the people when it's clearly that disclosing information isn't a mentioned at all?

We don't know what the guidelines in step 4 were.

Orayn

proxy.png

To be fair, it could be in the "other guidelines" section.

But again, the amount of free advertising MS will get from improperly made videos is pretty messed up.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

proxy.png

What are the guidelines in step #4?

And that message in that image you posted is from Machinima and not MS as far as I can tell. My point still stands.

Well, I for one hate this shitty practice. Some people are sitting on the sideline taking a wait and see approach... that's fine. But who are we kidding here? This is a new day and age, and if you don't have that hype, you gotta manufacture it. It's not like this is some alien concept to MS, either.

El-Suave

I'm no legal expert and not from the US, but don't those FTC guidelines some are mentioning to make this appear illegal imply that they are just that - guidelines? That's a very flexible and soft term and a step below being a rule or a law.

Osiris

I'm no legal expert and not from the US, but don't those FTC guidelines some are mentioning to make this appear illegal imply that they are just that - guidelines? That's a very flexible and soft term and a step below being a rule or a law.

The guidelines are not the law, the guidelines are the advice from the FTC on how to stay within the law in easy to understand language and with relevant examples, the laws themselves still exist.

AngryFacing

Neo Member
There is nothing out of the ordinary here. Many networks partner with many different companies to run campaigns like this and give their content creators higher CPM/payouts for mentioning a product in their video.

Ever watch a video where their sponsor is Audible? Maybe the creator opened with a clip of something else and talked about it for 30 seconds? Well, Audible and these other companies do this.

So what if Microsoft is running a campaign through a network? They aren't forcing people to talk good about the Xbox One, only giving an reward to those who would.

Hexa

tumblr_m0w9a1IhKu1qjhjdwo1_500.gif

I know nothing about any of this stuff but this post reminded me of that and other moments from PotC.

That is already covered under the FTC's guidelines, as are the requirements and responsibilities of bloggers and other 3rd party endorsers. Read them for yourself.

FTC Endorsement Guidelines Section 255.5 Example 7 said:
Example 7: A college student who has earned a reputation as a video game expert
maintains a personal weblog or “blog” where he posts entries about his gaming
experiences. Readers of his blog frequently seek his opinions about video game hardware
and software. As it has done in the past, the manufacturer of a newly released video game
system sends the student a free copy of the system and asks him to write about it on his
blog. He tests the new gaming system and writes a favorable review. Because his review is
disseminated via a form of consumer-generated media in which his relationship to the
advertiser is not inherently obvious, readers are unlikely to know that he has received the
video game system free of charge in exchange for his review of the product, and given the
value of the video game system, this fact likely would materially affect the credibility they
attach to his endorsement. Accordingly, the blogger should clearly and conspicuously
disclose that he received the gaming system free of charge. The manufacturer should
advise him at the time it provides the gaming system that this connection should be
disclosed, and it should have procedures in place to try to monitor his postings for
compliance.

So the example here isn't perfect since we're talking about monetary compensation and not a free product being sent, but I think it applies and it does state that it's the manufacturer's responsibility to inform the blogger that he has to disclose his connection to the company.

The question then becomes whether the use of the tag to signify their participation in the endorsement is enough to warrant disclosure, assuming that's the only thing visible to the viewers that relates to the connection between the content producer and Microsoft.

I mean, common sense says that an acronym tag isn't real disclosure but I have a feeling that legally it counts, once again in my uninformed opinion.

Osiris

Wait, 1.25 million views TOTAL? Not per channel????

Is this even worth doing it?

You honestly thought some of these youtubers valued their integrity higher than a couple of bucks?

I didn't.

I mean, common sense says that an acronym tag isn't real disclosure but I have a feeling that legally it counts, once again in my uninformed opinion.

Hahaha... no, putting an indecipherable tag of "XB1M13" on your video in no way represents disclosure of payment for the endorsement, and I'm not sure how you could even come close to thinking that it would be.

So what if Microsoft is running a campaign through a network? They aren't forcing people to talk good about the Xbox One, only giving an reward to those who would.
Haha, I don't think any of the criticism here revolves around MS 'forcing people to talk good' about them, but thanks for pointing that out.

KoopaTheCasual

The fact that some people in this thread can't understand what is wrong with this is goddamn scary ...
And also the fact that people liken this to others ads, and can't see the difference between this and Microsoft's previous ad campaigns on Machinima's channel, is baffling.

There is nothing out of the ordinary here. Many networks partner with many different companies to run campaigns like this and give their content creators higher CPM/payouts for mentioning a product in their video.

Ever watch a video where their sponsor is Audible? Maybe the creator opened with a clip of something else and talked about it for 30 seconds? Well, Audible and these other companies do this.

To be honest, we don't know what they want people to do until we can see the "Guidelines listed in the Assignment" that users wanting to take part in this deal have to "follow."

See #4 of the details posted about this "promotion."

Top Bottom