• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

MzXydDg.jpg

Naminator

Banned
LMAO!

With those guidelines any huge YouTuber can just make a video with that Tag, with 30 seconds of some Xbone game and just simply talk about how stupid this whole idea is, get 1.25+mil views, bank the money and shit all over this practice.

We don't know the specific "guidelines" since they are a part of the "assignment" which we cannot read from the details posted here. I am sure someone will share them soon enough.

Microsoft is the not the first to use underhanded tactics to promote their products. I still remember Sony's infamous "All I want for XMas is a PSP."

ramuh

Do Youtuber's follow the same ethical standards as journalists? I don't know. Since there part of a network (Machinma) I would think as long as the parent network mentions it somehow (probably even just the message they sent to their partners), there shouldn't be anything illegal. I say if you don't like it or that it's blatantly obvious, unsub. IMO.

Shin-Ra

Regaining trust clearly isn't high on the list of priorities for Microsoft. Thanks for reminding us about last year's astroturfers.

Did you really think things like this weren't happening already?

Oh I believe it is and was. I just didn't think how low can it be. I've seen what can happen and has happened, and the launch of XBO was the pinnacle of madness that surrounds game critics' mind and workflow. Its as if neither game publishers and critics are personally motivated to work unless a bone is thrown at them. We've had people complain about critics getting rewarded with unique gifts, vacations, bag of goodies, exclusive embargoes and more for doing something they want you to do, and it seems that publishers are too lazy to be motivated to provide their customers with great set pieces of entertainment. Its just too time consuming for them, so they rather generate hype by paying for that hype.

Its just sad that critics will still continue to receive an amazing treatment even if everyone (and I mean everyone that is a major game critic) decides to boycott these practices. The fact that the majority of them are following these practices means that anyone who decides to say no and back off must be someone big (like Kotaku burning the $50 cheque by EA). All it'll take is for everyone to burn the cheques and get their living by genuinely giving a fuck about what they do and not being a half-assed ass who is sitting in starbucks and bitching about a shitty cofee; at least the one making the damn coffee isn't getting paid every time and screaming "This Coffee is being brewed in a Keurig. Buy it now at Walmart.com for $99 and receive a free Starbucks K-Cup Pack!"

Is it 30 seconds yet?

Things I have gathered from this thread:

1) People overreact.
2) People have short memories.
3) We probably can't use the IGN bribe gif now, since it's illegal.
4) Most video game websites and videos already likely fall foul of this law as they are often given games for free.

Did you really think things like this weren't happening already?

A prior campaign similar to this ran from November 22nd through December 6th.

DzZNF7j.png

Honestly, it doesn't seem like all that bad of an idea if kept under wraps. It's underhanded and deceptive, but it definitely has potential for success if widely disseminated throughout popular YouTube celebrities.

Now that it's exposed, though? More negative PR for Microsoft.

BPoole

This campaign caps at 1.25 million views.

Microsoft is paying $3750. Total. This is nothing.

That won't stop every corporate drone from promoting the fuck out of the XBone in hopes that they cash out the big bucks. Cheapest ad campaign ever and will reach millions of people. Fuck ethics.

Hahaha... no, putting an indecipherable tag of "XB1M13" on your video in no way represents disclosure of payment for the endorsement, and I'm not sure how you could even come close to thinking that it would be.

If the standard in the law is "conspicuous disclosure" than an inscrutable tag obviously does not apply.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
$3cpm? Cheap bums. You can charge more than that, that's below rate card.

You should ask for at least $5

$3cpm? Cheap bums. You can charge more than that, that's below rate card.

You should ask for at least $5

Microsoft is preying on the naive, greedy YouTube channels who think they can make a quick buck. But who is the real winner at the end of the day? Microsoft.

Cheap, crowd-sourced advertising. Millions of impressions. Let the personalities do the advertising for you...it's brilliant. I applaud their 21st-century way of marketing.

Now if it only wasn't so deceitful...

nib95

Banned
I wonder how much Microsoft has spent on this type of paid shillery, promotion or false advertising since the inception of the Xbox One? I know we've had a truck load of posters banned for it. It's weird that Machinima is behind this though. You have to wonder how much Microsoft has paid them, or what sort of incentive they are being offered by Microsoft for this.

Certainly dents the credibility of Machinima too imo.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It's not deceitful and it's not some evil MS plot, this is fairly standard digital marketing practices.

Also these you tubers get like $80k for videos on average, it's the business days

Dartastic

LMAO!

With those guidelines any huge YouTuber can just make a video with that Tag, with 30 seconds of some Xbone game and just simply talk about how stupid this whole idea is, get 1.25+mil views, bank the money and shit all over this practice.

10/10 for the effort.
Hey guys I have 75k of student debt anyone wanna help me with this?

Amir0x

Banned
It's not deceitful and it's not some evil MS plot, this is fairly standard digital marketing practices.

Also these you tubers get like $80k for videos on average, it's the business days

I mean it's obviously deceitful if you go on youtube and you have no idea whether someone pimping the XBO is being genuine or not or if they're just wanting to get paid. If it were not deceitful, there'd be a disclaimer before the "promotion" video that it was, in fact, a promotion video. If you are not abreast of this pay scheme, as many clearly were not, then you could easily be fooled into thinking such positive impressions were someone's real and honest opinion.

Now it's clear that you can never be sure when someone is being honest about the system or just a paid shill.

Same would be true if it were Nintendo or Sony, and if this is a common practice, all it means is youtube videos are pointless for impressions since we now have no way of knowing who is being truthful or not.

_hekk05

Banned

Astroturfing is pretty standard everywhere. They are still banned on Gaf if they get found out.
Am I right about this? Someone confirm pls

A somewhat crass tactic. Smart, but crass. So far tho it's still MS following the "money will fix all our problems" mantra, and money just doesn't do that. You can't buy gamer cred, you have to earn it. They earned it with the OG Xbox and 360, and began losing it with XBO.

Curious; is there a clause in this preventing promoters from also promoting PS4 in the exact same video? Gamers can be sneaky bastards after all ;)

Afrikan

Microsoft doesn't give a fuck anymore.. I mean like for real for real this time...lol. Has anyone seen their Google Chromebook commercial?

Top Bottom