• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

GamerJM

Banned
I'll never forget the guy who was basically hating on Melee for being hard. Was hyped for Smash 4 because he "could play competitively without having to spend hours every day practicing dumb advanced techniques."

I think there are a decent number of people on GAF who just really "mainstream" and casual gamers and don't understand much beyond that. It came up briefly in a previous Melee topic, but speedrunning also has a similar stigma.

I get the impression that they're not really "mainstream," but that they're more concerned with experiencing gaming as a hobby in terms of breadth rather than depth. There are so many games out there that it's hard to spend a lot of time playing one game and getting really into it if you want to play a lot of different games (especially when you're an adult with limited time which seems to define a lot of GAF).

I get the impression that they're not really "mainstream," but that they're more concerned with experiencing gaming as a hobby in terms of breadth rather than depth. There are so many games out there that it's hard to spend a lot of time playing one game and getting really into it if you want to play a lot of different games (especially when you're an adult with limited time which seems to define a lot of GAF).

Basically this.

I mean, currently I'm juggling:

Overwatch
Hearthstone
Dota 2
Smash (Melee / PM, some Smash 4)
Tekken 7

And then sometimes I play some other single player games lol.

Still haven't finished BotW despite having it since launch.

Fugu

Anyone going to GOML? I haven't been to a Melee event in about a half a decade and I wouldn't mind meeting some GAF folks.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dreamhack top 8 could turn out pretty fun. Hbox, M2K, Plup, and SFAT in winners, Axe, Moon, Dfox and Ryan Ford in losers.

More likely than not it will be predictable and Hbox will sweep, but realistically anyone in winners has a shot.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dreamhack grand finals are on: http://www.twitch.tv/dreamhacksmash

Hbox vs Plup and hbox won the first set to reset grands

Plup bounces from looking really good to really bad, back to really good lol.

Plup wins, awesome. Won three sets over gods, M2K once and Hbox twice.

DJ Nintendo says he's basically retiring from Melee singles to be a full time commentator and just play doubles.

Funny, he said as much in the interview about the up and down quality of play. Fell apart in the second half of the winners set but then pulled it together to clutch it out, then gave up on GF set 1 after Hbox went up 2-0.

Also the first time a non-god other than Leffen has won a tournament with two gods in attendance since 2010.

Pappasman

Haven't had a chance to watch much melee recently but I just caught the end of that plup/hbox match. Really cool to see plup take it.

Apparently his trophy broke a couple minutes later though.

Codeblue

So ready for the era of Melee where Plup starts winning everything.

Happy for Plup. He's been so good for so long that it's crazy that this hasn't happened yet.

Now he just needs to beat Armada, in arguably the period of time where the distance between Armada and the rest of the pack is the largest it's ever been, and join Leffen as a godslayer.

Edit: Plup beat PPMD at 5 Gods I'm pretty sure.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Even if Plup hadn't beat PPMD I don't think he would have much trouble if/when he starts playing again. 2+ years out of the meta is going to be rough for PPMD, Leffen was out less than a year and still hasn't reached the level he was at before the visa issues.

Look I know we all miss PPMD but he's been out of it just as long as Hax$ until they can like make top 8 at a major don't count them as gods to kill lol.

Lucumo

Look I know we all miss PPMD but he's been out of it just as long as Hax$ until they can like make top 8 at a major don't count them as gods to kill lol.
Pretty much what I'm thinking.
Happy for Plup. HBox didn't look too hot in the double matches, so I had hopes something like this would happen (wasn't able to watch top 8 of singles though).

DaShizWiz thread in gaming.
Please.

I feel the same way about Shiz as I do PPMD and Hax$.

Until they start placing top 8 again meh.

But PPMD and Hax$ don't have criminal records so eh.

The Kotaku article, though. It was clearly for clicks, as y'all could tell by it taking multiple posts for Hyuga to be named instead of it just being "that one guy" lol. Most of those people don't even touch Melee tourneys.

Erheller

I was messing around in friendlies with the Skilled Roy and when the bracket got announced, I went "shiiiiiiiiiiiit".

I didn't get 4-stocked or anything and I got him to last stock on game 2, but I messed up my punish. They weren't games where I got utterly destroyed (he might have been sandbagging a little) and it definitely highlighted some weak points in my game so I'm pretty happy about that. The guy's pretty cool too.

First experience having people watch and cheer for the other guy though, haha

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao, that Westballz waveshine. Shined all three other players off stage and then shine spiked everyone, including his teammate.

Uthrow -> Roll right. True combos?

Codeblue

Hbox should have went to the ledge. Going super aggro while Leffen was camping him cost him the lead in every single game of grands.

Fugu

I feel like we're going back to when every grand finals was x vs. HBox with HBox taking the L nearly every time. It's disappointing to me both as an Hbox fan and as someone who likes to watch good sets.

Fugu

Yeah, he's been such a consistent thorn in everyone's side that I'm sure he'll be able to figure something out. I just wish his time at the top had lasted for more than like... two weeks.

Shine also crossed 1000 entrants for Melee, looks like we're gonna have 5 1000+ tournaments this year (assuming The Big House doesn't collapse).

Thoughts on the MIOM ruleset?

I feel them making handwarmers 30 seconds instead of the coin battle minute, not allowing B0XX or Mem Cards for Dashback, and the no coaching thing are kinda eh.

emb

I don't like the no coaching thing. Feel mixed on the box and 7 minute timer stuff, but kinda lean toward wanting both of those allowed. So I guess I'm not crazy about the ruleset, but it's all stuff that doesn't really bother me either way.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's super conservative, they didn't want to change much. I pretty much agree with Nintendude on every issue they voted on.

Codeblue

Not allowing alternate controllers is dumb for two reasons.

You're basically saying that if you have hand problems, there's no room for you in our scene. Also, if you're going to ban alternate controllers, and controller fixes, then you need to provide a solution for the controller lottery.

GamerJM

Banned
Handwarmers for 30 seconds is lame, but I'm the guy who doesn't mind it when Wizzy takes minutes to do it. I'd rather have longer wait times if it means better gameplay from top players tbh.

I also disagree with 1.02 being standard. I liked the rule I heard where 1.02 is generally the standard, but if a player requests 1.00 then they can play on that version. That way TOs don't have to go out of their way to hunt down a bunch of 1.00 copies of the game but if someone brings their own they can request to play on it.

B0XX being banned is iffy but as long as people follow through on testing it at the local/regional level I think it makes sense. Same for Memory Card dashback fix (though I still have a bit of a hunch Nintendo could have some issue with that for majors if they get involved with advertising, which seems to be an elephant in the room that no one really addressed when people were proposing that).

Anth0ny

oh hey it's a melee thread on gaming side...

giphy.gif

Peltz

I'll never forget the guy who was basically hating on Melee for being hard. Was hyped for Smash 4 because he "could play competitively without having to spend hours every day practicing dumb advanced techniques."

I think there are a decent number of people on GAF who just really "mainstream" and casual gamers and don't understand much beyond that. It came up briefly in a previous Melee topic, but speedrunning also has a similar stigma.

Melee isn't hard though. It's easier for a beginner to pick it up than Smash 4.

It has both a lower barrier to entry and a higher skill ceiling.

GamerJM

Banned
Who do you guys main?
I used to play Fox, now I'm playing a lot more Sheik.
PAL sheik :(

*Looks at avatar*

I've only ever mained Marth since I picked Melee back up. He just feels so nice, and I've never had a desire to switch. I love everything about him, from his movement, to janky low-level F-smash BS, to sick high level chaingrab combos. I don't think I've ever liked playing as a single character in a game like I do with Marth before. I've tried other characters for a short period of time but I never clicked with any of them like Marth. Fox is cool but doing all of the really technical Fox stuff honestly just seems kind of uncomfortable on a Gamecube controller, and I don't really have any desire to play a fundamentals Fox. Falco and Sheik feel weird to move around/jump with (which sucks because I really like Sheik otherwise and Falco too kinda). Icies I spent a small period of time trying to learn wobble/handoff stuff and none of it came easily to me.

febLey

I'm switching back and forth, but my true main is Peach.
Besides that I really like to play Sheik, Falco, Marth and Samus.
Also i'm currently learning to play Captain Fabulous.
I think my best characters are Peach, Sheik and Marth.

Codeblue

I waffle between Marth and Puff. I think my Marth is a tiny bit better, but I do better with Puff strictly because she's less common.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Who do you guys main?
I used to play Fox, now I'm playing a lot more Sheik.
PAL sheik :(

I've bounced around a lot. First Young Link way back in the casual days, then Marth.

Once I started playing again and trying to go to locals I picked up Falcon. I didn't feel like I was learning well with him so I ended up switching to Shiek. Used her for a while and while I felt like I was improving, I never felt comfortable with her. Dabbled with Fox a little, but ended up setting on Falco.

Need to play more. I still suck at wavedashing out of shine, even though I can do it out of shield fine.

Might be able to start going to locals again but it's awkward because I feel like an old man at 29 surrounded by high school and college kids.

GamerJM

Banned
Might be able to start going to locals again but it's awkward because I feel like an old man at 29 surrounded by high school and college kids.

I'm only 23 but this is probably part of why I'm going to stop (or at least go less frequently) in a year or so unless the community feels like it'll start to age up. Honestly I feel like it would be different if I was actually any good at the game, but it's weird getting my ass handed to me by a high schooler and having him give me advice. I suppose that's a little age discriminatory but eh.

Anth0ny

it's obviously different everywhere but in Toronto it's cool because there's the OGs like Unknown, Kirby Kaze and everyone else who's been around since like 2005, and they're always at events and always older... but then you have the young kids too that are clearly high school age or college/university

At 24 I feel like I'm right in the middle, so showing up never feels awkward. I can imagine that if you're a bit older it sucks if OGs are no longer showing up to tournaments in your area.

Erheller

I play Marth because his movement just feel right to me.

I'm 22 and just graduated from college and yeah, there are a lot of high schoolers but there's also a lot of people around my age too. I don't really mind at all, but then again I go less frequently than I want to because of work stuff.

Pappasman

I'm a marth main at heart, but I've been playing a lot more fox and falco just becuase I want to move my hands more. Although recently I've been going exclusively Luigi. Luigi is really fun and I am going to try to put in some time to be competent with him.

At 25 i think I am on the older side of my local scene but not too far off of the average age.

Top Bottom