• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

I keep coming back to San Jose. I get sick of it, leave, then come back and something else is going on that pulls me back in. It has that much going for it.

As far as the homeless situation goes, I tell myself that at least they don't freeze to death like they do in NYC. Not a comforting thought, but.. there are worse places for them to be.

Crayon

I keep coming back to San Jose. I get sick of it, leave, then come back and something else is going on that pulls me back in. It has that much going for it.

As far as the homeless situation goes, I tell myself that at least they don't freeze to death like they do in NYC. Not a comforting thought, but.. there are worse places for them to be.

I've been in San Jose a little more often lately and at least once, I was like "why don't I live here?".

olympia

My LA commutes have been 1 to 1:45 hrs, so 45 mins would be nice. :p

The office is in the middle of nowhere (IBM - coords 37.211063, -121.80560). :/

I'm trying to figure out where I should move. This is the most important part, maybe some of you can give me some insights. ������

I can pay 2.5K for a 1 bedroom, but wouldn't want to go higher than that. :|

with that budget you could probably afford to live somewhere cool like near midtown or willow glen and avoid traffic to work since it's way the fuck down there in santa teresa (morning traffic is typically northbound). my friend was paying 2.3 for a 2 bed near rose garden. the commute would probably be around 30 mins. you could also try los gatos which has a cute lil downtown area

It's sad and has gotten worse. There are encampments all over SJ behind neighborhood walls, on highway cloverleaf off-ramps, alleyways, etc. There are some discussions around building a place for them, but the arguments are where, cost, and maintaining order.

theres a proposal in santa clara right now to build temp housing with shipping containers, apparently

What? A lot of the Vietnamese food is in East San Jose, and there's no way it takes 30 minutes to get there from South San Jose.

Yea all the great places are in little saigon around tully rd extending out to curtner which is actually really close to South SJ. I think the trick is knowing the right places ;-)

That said, Houston > San Jose > Orange County for Vietnamese food IMO. SJ is pretty damn good, but Houston just blows everything away (source: spent a significant number of years in both places)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
with that budget you could probably afford to live somewhere cool like near midtown or willow glen and avoid traffic to work since it's way the fuck down there in santa teresa (morning traffic is typically northbound). my friend was paying 2.3 for a 2 bed near rose garden. the commute would probably be around 30 mins. you could also try los gatos which has a cute lil downtown area
I don't need a 2 bedroom, but using Zillow I see that there's a lot of them. Any particular reason why?

$2.5k will get you something really nice. Downtown Campbell is cool and the quirkiest of the South Bay. Downtown SJ will definitely get you the more "downtown" feel with some newer high rise apartments. Just stay away from that new development on Cottle Rd. which is closer to that IBM site. It's an overbuilt area with barely any addition to the infrastructure there and no nightlife. Since it's new it will cost you a lot. There's plenty to do, see, and eat if you look deep within SJ and it's surrounding areas. For a better culture/night life look in Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Oakland, Palo Alto, which are about 1 hour away or less...but also more expensive to live in.
Wait, from SF to that office it would still be an hour? Kinda hard to believe, since I'm used to LA. 😅

Still wouldn't want to drive more than 20 miles.

I don't need a 2 bedroom, but using Zillow I see that there's a lot of them. Any particular reason why?

My guess is that SJ was built more of a suburban sprawl for families.

Wait, from SF to that office it would still be an hour? Kinda hard to believe, since I'm used to LA. ��

Still wouldn't want to drive more than 20 miles.
I meant to say that normal drive times from San Francisco to San Jose is about 1 hour. San Francisco to San Jose in rush hour traffic can be anywhere from 1.5 - 2 hours. Depends how deep in SF you are.
20 miles north of that IBM site would be Mountain View/Sunnyvale. Would take about 45 minutes in rush hour. Normal drive time for that is like 15 minutes.

hateradio

My guess is that SJ was built more of a suburban sprawl for families.

I meant to say that normal drive times from San Francisco to San Jose is about 1 hour. San Francisco to San Jose in rush hour traffic can be anywhere from 1.5 - 2 hours. Depends how deep in SF you are.
20 miles north of that IBM site would be Mountain View/Sunnyvale. Would take about 45 minutes in rush hour. Normal drive time for that is like 15 minutes.
Definitely want to keep the drive to 30 mins or less. 15 would be ideal, since I could bear that weekend traffic if I want to go up to the city.

none that I can think of, just posted that as a frame of reference wrt the type of place you could afford.
I would go cheaper, but I can't find anything on that site, or others. 😆

The office is in the middle of nowhere (IBM - coords 37.211063, -121.80560). :/

Yeah, this is near where I worked. Pretty poor options for food unless you've got time to do a reasonably hefty drive.

I can pay 2.5K for a 1 bedroom, but wouldn't want to go higher than that. :|

This is doable, you can get a nice 1br in a bunch of places in town for that much.

What? A lot of the Vietnamese food is in East San Jose, and there's no way it takes 30 minutes to get there from South San Jose.

Half-hour is probably an exaggeration, but 20 minutes easily. Maybe it's different if you live there your whole life and know every random hole in the wall, I dunno.

Wait, from SF to that office it would still be an hour?

Lol no. That commute's gonna be up to 2 hours many days.

vaporeon

Any Redwood City Gaffers??? Sunnyvale was boring af so I moved out there and the downtown area is way better than the Sunnyvale one...
"Climate best by government test!"

Redwood City changed like crazy over the years, so much gentrification. I guess it was inevitable when it's lodged between San Carlos and Atherton. Redwood Shores is hella boring, unless you enjoy watching geese at Oracle or running along bay trails.

It's pretty nice, though, I have to admit! Thanks Box for making it all possible. I'm glad you're enjoying it here.

What's cool about SJ is... two really good cocktail bars, a craft-brew-and-sausages place, and one really fucking phenomenal coffee shop downtown? The almost complete lack of violent crime relative to any other big city? The airport being easy to get to and low-traffic? The fact that it's an hour closer to Santa Cruz and Monterey than the cool parts of the bay? Oh, and the annual Taco Festival of Innovation is super rad.

What's not cool about SJ includes, but is not limited to: most of the people, most of the nightspots, a pretty good amount of the food, the odious rent (that gets worse each year), the sanity-grinding commute (that also gets worse each year), the techbros, the college students crowding up the couple of places that are decent, the ludicrously higher-than-normal rate of property crime against cars, the racist cops, the societal cruelty on display against the massive homeless population, the sexually harasser weirdos on the street, the amount of places that reek of piss (though it's no patch on SF here), and working in the vast suburban desert of south San Jose with no decent food or culture anywhere to be found.

I dunno, in 2017 I don't think I could in good conscience recommend anyone move here.

EDIT: I did forget the most important thing. GO SHARKS! ������

EDIT 2: All the pizza here is extremely bad except for one "New York Style" place that is actually New York Style and one Neapolitan place (which isn't much like any other kind of pizza you're used to.)

What's the coffeeshop at downtown? Hannah's? Crema?

Alcander

Any Redwood City Gaffers??? Sunnyvale was boring af so I moved out there and the downtown area is way better than the Sunnyvale one...

RWC has gotten really nice lately. I live in mountain view, but we find ourselves going to RWC pretty often.

We ALMOST relocated our office to RWC a few years back, but opted for SF instead (this was right as the downtown was really starting to blossom.)

hateradio

So, I've been looking at a few places, all one bedroom.

A) This one caught my attention, because it's about 20 mins from work (in traffic). It also looks nice and has a few nice amenities.

1 ba 675 sq ft $1,795

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4951-Cherry-Ave_San-Jose_CA_95118_M20040-40059

B) This one looks nice, but it's a bit pricier. Also about it's around 35 mins from work.

1 ba 650 sq ft $1,948

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2130-Southwest-Expy_San-Jose_CA_95126_M20615-95581

C) This is the closest, about 15 mins away.

1 ba 586 sq ft $1,830
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/229-Blossom-Hill-Rd_San-Jose_CA_95123_M20240-14605

I'm leaning towards the first one, since it's the least expensive, has more footage, and not far, but is it situated in a decent spot?

olympia

The second location in/near campbell is definitely more central area that's close to a lot of stuff. there are a couple of record shops (streetlight and rasputin), the pruneyard (with a cool small 3-camera theater, some more restaurants and shops). theres a frys and a whole foods in that location wrt to "big" stores and a bar/resturant called the garrett. you're also like super close to downtown campbell and it's not too far from downtown san jose. that's the area i'm most familiar with out of the three and it's a pretty nice area to live in. if you go up bascom there are some things of interest around the san carlos/moorpark intersection. mini gourmet, the two big shopping centers (valley fair and santana row). take a right onto san carlos and theres some interesting secondhand stores and falafel drive-in, which is a must try if you live in the area.

The question is really how much you care about your commute. The Campbell location is a ten minute walk from Whole Foods and maybe 20 minutes from Campbell center so it's pretty much a walkable neighborhood; it's also very convenient to downtown SJ. The thing is: the difference between a 15 and 35 minute commute is huge. You're gonna be doing that both ways five times a week, and when there's traffic or something 35 minutes is gonna turn into an hour plus. Everyone who's studied it has concluded longer commutes have a bigger negative effect on people's happiness than anything, so think about whether those amenities are worth it! (That said, my office just moved from right near my apartment to a 30 minute drive and I didn't move to follow it, so.)

Between the first and third place, I'd go with the first one since it's a bit more convenient to the highway and a little bit less out of the way.

falafel drive-in, which is a must try if you live in the area.

yes falafel drive-in is like one of the five best things in SJ, it is a Must

I'd go with the first one as there is a bit more around that area than just being near the highway. All of the stores you could think of are near that area. You're really close to Oakridge which has a movie theater and the area is generally quieter. Seriously though in a three block radius is just about everything you can think of. It's great and has the best Costco of the area hands down.There isn't much of a nightlife near there, but the tradeoff is that you can easily get to campbell or downtown sj easily via the highway, which is a cheap uber ride away.

hateradio

That all sounds very nice, but the distance is killing it a bit. :/

You're gonna be doing that both ways five times a week, and when there's traffic or something 35 minutes is gonna turn into an hour plus. Everyone who's studied it has concluded longer commutes have a bigger negative effect on people's happiness than anything, so think about whether those amenities are worth it!
My commute is currently an hour, and after suffering that for so long, a short commute is very high on my list of must haves. 20-ish minutes seems just about tolerable.

I definitely don't want to be in traffic very long, so traffic ballooning up to an hour is making this one becoming less appealing.

I'd go with the first one as there is a bit more around that area than just being near the highway. All of the stores you could think of are near that area. You're really close to Oakridge which has a movie theater and the area is generally quieter. Seriously though in a three block radius is just about everything you can think of. It's great and has the best Costco of the area hands down.There isn't much of a nightlife near there, but the tradeoff is that you can easily get to campbell or downtown sj easily via the highway, which is a cheap uber ride away.
I'm definitely leaning more towards this one. I think ubering/driving on the nights/weekends to go further up would definitely be more doable. :]

v1lla21

Heh, my gf lives on cherry Ave. First one is definitely a great spot. Easy access to 87 or 85, decent shopping areas and places to eat as well.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Rain hasn't started here yet, but the forecast is rain for a week straight... Hope it will help fill up the creeks, rivers, and resevoirs, at least.

olympia

guadalupe river is projected to get to a pretty high level, iirc.

As far as fav coffee spots go, I like chromatic. although it's not as central as b2 or philz or whatever

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Any good bars/clubs around Geary Street. Bar I'm at is a bit dead cause of the rain.

M52B28

Banned
Cuz our inundation and infrastructure are shit and werent built for this during the 70s/80s lol
Haha. El Camino Real is flooded in my neighborhood. The sidewalk is just un-walkable. This shit has been happening for years beyond mine here.

I'm not sure if they're planning any road rebuilding or what.

clav

How's SF GAF?

Seeing a lot of headlines regarding downed powerlines + trees falling on roads + train tracks due to the weather.

How's SF GAF?

Seeing a lot of headlines regarding downed powerlines + trees falling on roads + train tracks due to the weather.

880 was shut down for a bit because of downed power lines

Holy crap driving though 101 earlier.....

You guys slow down to a crawl when it rains I'm not used to this shit. Miamians don't give a single fuck during the rain and drive like 100 mph on I95 all the time.

BART hit multiple trees tonight I think, shit's wild. Flash flood warning for Alameda County too.

And I saw lightning for the first time in what must be years

Fjordson

Was a road closed down for flooding by me (near Morgan Hill). Can't remember the last time we got rain like this. Been pretty constant since Friday.

MindofKB

So, I've been looking at a few places, all one bedroom.

A) This one caught my attention, because it's about 20 mins from work (in traffic). It also looks nice and has a few nice amenities.

1 ba 675 sq ft $1,795

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4951-Cherry-Ave_San-Jose_CA_95118_M20040-40059

B) This one looks nice, but it's a bit pricier. Also about it's around 35 mins from work.

1 ba 650 sq ft $1,948

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2130-Southwest-Expy_San-Jose_CA_95126_M20615-95581

C) This is the closest, about 15 mins away.

1 ba 586 sq ft $1,830
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/229-Blossom-Hill-Rd_San-Jose_CA_95123_M20240-14605

I'm leaning towards the first one, since it's the least expensive, has more footage, and not far, but is it situated in a decent spot?

The wife and I considered the first place January of last year. The location is great and the staff was very friendly too.

We ended up moving close to the 2nd place and being that close to downtown Campbell, the Pruneyard, and lots of grocery stores is a huge plus. Downtown San Jose is 10 minutes away and Lightrail is literally across the street from that 2nd complex. If need be, you can walk across the street in the morning, hop on Lightrail and ride it to the Diridon Caltrain station next to SAP Center. From there you can easily travel up and down the Bay.

Was a road closed down for flooding by me (near Morgan Hill). Can't remember the last time we got rain like this. Been pretty constant since Friday.

My parents live in Gilroy and they said the flooding is unreal. I was planning on driving down tomorrow but I think I'm gonna chill on that for a few days lol.

880 was shut down for a bit because of downed power lines

Holy crap driving though 101 earlier.....

You guys slow down to a crawl when it rains I'm not used to this shit. Miamians don't give a single fuck during the rain and drive like 100 mph on I95 all the time.

Freeways aren't built with the same road grading, drive like that here and you'll hit a patch of standing water that if you're lucky will just ruin your day

Yesterday was just unreal at times with the weather here in the south bay. I was out and about most of the day and the amount of flooding was unreal. I had to swerve out of the way of a falling tree while I was on 280 last night. This area is just not able to handle this much water. We need to invest in our infrastructure around here.

I love this weather and seeing a lightning storm from a high rise on the bay was one of the coolest weather moments I've seen.

So does anyone know of any other computer part stores in this area besides Central Computers/Frys? I miss having Micro Center around these parts.

olympia

Yesterday was just unreal at times with the weather here in the south bay. I was out and about most of the day and the amount of flooding was unreal. I had to swerve out of the way of a falling tree while I was on 280 last night. This area is just not able to handle this much water. We need to invest in our infrastructure around here.

I love this weather and seeing a lightning storm from a high rise on the bay was one of the coolest weather moments I've seen.

So does anyone know of any other computer part stores in this area besides Central Computers/Frys? I miss having Micro Center around these parts.

17 had a massive mudslide yesterday that took out a news van

I also miss micro center!!! Ugh I was so pissed when they closed it

The roads get slick here after even a slight rain in a way that anywhere on the East Coast would take an absolute downpour. It's true that Californians drive like morons in the rain but it's at least in part because the roads are actually just not very safe in the rain.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Weather wasn't as bad on my end, surprisingly. And yet today there's some sunshine out, now! Probably won't last until tomorrow, but we definitely need for some of this flooded water to dry up a little. I think rains are supposed to be back tonight, again.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Meanwhile, farther up north in Sonoma county:

4TrdnAu.jpg

In the East Bay near El Sobrante:

7JyZNuT.jpg

And on I-80 a section of the freeway is closed due to:

2UAo46k.jpg

And even farther up north on I-80 near the Nevada border it's closed due to:

OiNFCR7.jpg

vETn3qd.jpg

Some areas in Tahoe report 4 feet of snow in the last 24 hours due to that last storm, over 10 feet toal over the last week of storm systems.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Whew that was some thunderstorm this morning. Very pleasant to wake up to. It's been a long time.

finalflame

Gold Member
Had to drive to work today like some kind of animal instead of taking my usual company shuttle because walking 8 minutes in that rain didn't seem like a great idea. Woe is me.

With that said, I'm super stoked we're getting all this rain. Hope it continues all weekend as forecast!

Top Bottom