• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Charcoal

Hey BayGaf, quick question for those of you who are cyclists. How far is your daily commute to work? I live south of Chicago and commute by bike roughly 10 a day.

Just trying to gauge what's considered "normal" for when I start apartment hunting.

Hey BayGaf, quick question for those of you who are cyclists. How far is your daily commute to work? I live south of Chicago and commute by bike roughly 10 a day.

Just trying to gauge what's considered "normal" for when I start apartment hunting.
I don't cycle to work since I live by a bart station in the east bay, but it'll really depend on where you're living. San Francisco is only 7 miles across, but a lot of those miles have some pretty steep hills you'll want to take into account. 5 miles will take you almost all the way across the city but I personally wouldn't bike more than 1 or 2 each way in SF.
Also, biking in the city is a risky business, pretty much everyone I know who bikes in the city has been hit by a car or bus at least once.

Charcoal

I don't cycle to work since I live by a bart station in the east bay, but it'll really depend on where you're living. San Francisco is only 7 miles across, but a lot of those miles have some pretty steep hills you'll want to take into account. 5 miles will take you almost all the way across the city but I personally wouldn't bike more than 1 or 2 each way in SF.
Also, biking in the city is a risky business, pretty much everyone I know who bikes in the city has been hit by a car or bus at least once.
Awesome, thanks for your input. I'm not familiar with the city or the transit systems at all so I'm just trying to get some general ideas about costs and commuting. Everything in general is so expensive, but I knew that going in lol

My potential office is in the North-East sector of the city, south of the financial district.

Awesome, thanks for your input. I'm not familiar with the city or the transit systems at all so I'm just trying to get some general ideas about costs and commuting. Everything in general is so expensive, but I knew that going in lol

My potential office is in the North-East sector of the city, south of the financial district.
so Financial District is the North-East sector of the city so you might be in the Embarcadero or Soma. That area of the city is relatively flat, so if you manage to get housing there (it's expensive, but everything is expensive) you could probably bike no problem. In general Market St. is pretty flat and a lot of people bike it, but it's also crazy busy sometimes. Also, look up The Wiggle, it's an unofficial bike path through the city, could be good to find a place along that

AcridMeat

Banned
Yes, everything was fine. They just opened the streets after thirty or so minutes.

You all see the forecast? There's going to be heavy rain all Friday and part of the weekend.
yeah it was somebody's gym bag. you could almost see the bomb guy's exasperation when pulling stuff out of it
That's a relief

Thankfully it wasn't raining too hard for my walk to my car. So glad the rain is here though, relaxing with some Fireside Chat now. Bring it on!

v1lla21

This weather sucks. It looked like it was gong to rain the whole day but nada. At least I was able to get stuff done which was good.

jdavid459

going to be spending a couple nights in SF next week. anything going on specifically that I should check out? Otherwise I just plan on just meandering around different neighborhoods. Always wanted to check out SF

M52B28

Banned
damn Treasure Island was not prepared for the rain. basically no music for hours at a time
Lol

A girl came into my job to buy a poncho for the festival. That thing is nice, but it's no match for that.

I was planning to go, but I saw that forecast and forgot about it.

damn Treasure Island was not prepared for the rain. basically no music for hours at a time

Lol

A girl came into my job to buy a poncho for the festival. That thing is nice, but it's no match for that.

I was planning to go, but I saw that forecast and forgot about it.

Me and the wifey went and that shit sucked ass. Soaking wet and no dancing. We ended up saying fuck it and left early

going to be spending a couple nights in SF next week. anything going on specifically that I should check out? Otherwise I just plan on just meandering around different neighborhoods. Always wanted to check out SF
Off the top of my head:

Castro district is a hot mess at night in a great way so go check it out

Mission burritos of course

The park in Ghirardelli square has a great view of the bay

Haight and Ashbury for the bohemian in you

Korean bbq in Richmond nomnom

Smuggler's Cove is a great rum bar (be prepared to feel like a sardine though)

MrGerbils

So this Comcast 1tb data cap limit is some real bullshit. I pretty frequently use a little bit more than 1tb a month. Looking for other options for high speed in the city. Sonic isn't available at my address, any other options?

Edzi

So this Comcast 1tb data cap limit is some real bullshit. I pretty frequently use a little bit more than 1tb a month. Looking for other options for high speed in the city. Sonic isn't available at my address, any other options?

The fact that there aren't any other options is why they can keep getting away with their BS.

As someone else who is affected by the Comcast nightmare of 2016. It's really easy to go over 1tb between two gamers and just one 4K tv. It doesn't help that the numbers Comcast reports is unreliable and in most cases off by gigs a day. Last month we used 1.4tb and streamed just over 11 hours of 4K content through Netflix at about 7.5gbs a hour, and on both of our Xbox ones we racked up 483gbs each. Between patches and downloading games it's maddening. I fear that this was a strategic number put in place before 4K becomes the norm.

Also having no other options and giving more money to a company who is no stranger to bribing our government time and time again really gets under my skin. But I don't have options because Comcast is the only allowed provider where I live.

MrGerbils

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do to burn through 1TB of data within that time frame?

Honestly I feel like I'm a pretty average internet user.

I'm a cord cutter, so there's a lot of TV streaming. I do like to fall asleep with the TV on, usually pass out with Netflix on basically every night, but that will only play a couple episodes before stopping itself, and just on a regular 1080p tv, so not 4k.

My wife is a photographer / photo editor, so she does some reasonable file transfers from home sometimes, but just photos, not like 4k video or anything.

I also play games on PC / xbone / PS4, but it's not like I download tons and tons of games. I actually lately mostly use gamefly, so haven't really been downloading much of any games at all. Though I suppose most games even when you insert the disc still end up downloading huge patches.

I dunno, I definitely use a lot of data (obviously), but it's not like I'm running a home business or running servers or hosting files or anything weird.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I feel like I'm a pretty average internet user.

Is your Internet secured? :x I actually went to check my usage out of curiosity, and it's way under 1TB, and there's a lot of streaming that goes on in my household, constantly. Not a lot of downloading has gone on lately, but game data itself doesn't seem like it would be worth that much, even after multiple games it seems.

MrGerbils

Is your Internet secured? :x I actually went to check my usage out of curiosity, and it's way under 1TB, and there's a lot of streaming that goes on in my household, constantly. Not a lot of downloading has gone on lately, but game data itself doesn't seem like it would be worth that much, even after multiple games it seems.

WPA2 personal.

Just checked and there's no unknown devices connected to my network right now.

I don't download anything unusual. Like I don't torrent / pirate anything at all.

I'm already at 615gb for this month...

I mean sometimes my wife leaves the HGTV or MSNBC live stream just playing on TV for hours a day as if it's cable... Maybe my cord cutting plan isn't gonna work out with shitty comcast data caps. My plan is $50 and they wanna charge me another $50 to remove the cap. At that point I could probably just get a TV package and end up streaming a lot less.... which is probably the whole point of their fucking cap I guess.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

There are a couple of other options but if sonic isn't available, they probably won't be either. I waited a year for sonic to finally come to my apartment as of yesterday. Couldn't be happier. When was the last time you checked with sonic?

monkeybrains might be an option depending on where you live, but I believe they also throttle if you go over 1TB on a residential account.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Muni-subway-San-Francisco-dream-lines-survey-SFMTA-9981268.php

San Franciscans would like to see a new subway line along Geary Boulevard, zipping riders between the avenues and downtown.

At least, that was the most requested new subway line in a recent survey conducted by the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA).

The agency's Connect SF planning department asked residents to identify routes they'd like the city to study and consider building, inviting them to draw subway lines and place stations on a map. They received 2,600 ideas in total.

The agency took the feedback and created a heat map showing the popularity of suggestions. While Geary was the most common request, routes along Divisadero, Lombard, Columbus, 19th Ave. and 16th St. were also desirable. (See the attached "heat map" of the most desirable routes)

"We are looking forward to combining these results with the other parts of the Connect SF planning process and helping to create a comprehensive transportation plan for our future," Rose said.

EQ97uJo.jpg

jdavid459

Off the top of my head:

Castro district is a hot mess at night in a great way so go check it out

Mission burritos of course

The park in Ghirardelli square has a great view of the bay

Haight and Ashbury for the bohemian in you

Korean bbq in Richmond nomnom

Smuggler's Cove is a great rum bar (be prepared to feel like a sardine though)

appreciate this. I'll try to check out some of these recommendations. i'm buying an unlimited pub transit pass for a few days so i should be able to get around easy enough

beat

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
3rd straight day of 30 minute bart delays. really considering just giving up and paying more to live in the city again

The ferry's not too bad if you live close enough to the Vallejo, Oakland, or Alameda terminals. Richmond is supposed to open a ferry terminal some time next year as well.

AcridMeat

Banned
3rd straight day of 30 minute bart delays. really considering just giving up and paying more to live in the city again
That miiiight have been related to the bomb threat in SOMA today. Was on 7th and Bryant I believe, they closed the Oakland on ramp over there and had a ton of diverted traffic.

M52B28

Banned
I'm having a hard time finding a place where I can have a drink and draw/do art.

I'm looking for a lounge of some sort in San Mateo County that I can do both at. Anyone have any tips?

Edzi

So apparently downtown Hayward has a small retro arcade I've never heard about, and it even has sf3: third strike. I wonder how many other gems I've been missing out on all my life.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So apparently downtown Hayward has a small retro arcade I've never heard about, and it even has sf3: third strike. I wonder how many other gems I've been missing out on all my life.
Yup high scores arcade. It just opened in August. It's amazing, $5 for an hour or $10 to play all day.

Edzi

Yup high scores arcade. It just opened in August. It's amazing, $5 for an hour or $10 to play all day.

Oh, so it's new? Man, I need to get out more. I've lived here my entire life yet still know nothing about what's around. Gonna try to find some people to check it out with soon.

olympia

I'm having a hard time finding a place where I can have a drink and draw/do art.

I'm looking for a lounge of some sort in San Mateo County that I can do both at. Anyone have any tips?

here in the south bay we have drink and draw at art boutiki. not too far from the peninsula. its like a wax night/gallery and there is also a raffle to get your art printed on a t-shirt

hmmm there are some other places i know about but i cannot think of them for the life of me.

watch this space

Top Bottom