• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Edzi

Anyone ever considered setting up meet ups at SF game night? Been trying to get a group from work to go, but haven't met with much success.

AcridMeat

Banned
Anyone ever considered setting up meet ups at SF game night? Been trying to get a group from work to go, but haven't met with much success.
Have done so a few times. Always game to go, but it's tough as the game night is only on week nights and bay gaf are pretty spread apart.

Edzi

Have done so a few times. Always game to go, but it's tough as the game night is only on week nights and bay gaf are pretty spread apart.

Yeah, I wish it was either closer or on weekends, since I'd probably try to go more often if that was the case.

Btw, would you happen to know if they have SFV casuals set up even on days when they don't have the SFV churning the butter tournament? Their fb page isn't super informative on their actual format.

AcridMeat

Banned
I know anyone can enter their tournaments, and they have SF on a few consoles that aren't used during them. You should be able to find a casual game pretty easily.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So,

I have a 2nd round job interview Wednesday in San Francisco. They are flying me out from NYC tomorrow. The company is located on Bryant Street.

It pays well so hopefully I get it, but other than that I got a free trip.

M52B28

Banned
here in the south bay we have drink and draw at art boutiki. not too far from the peninsula. its like a wax night/gallery and there is also a raffle to get your art printed on a t-shirt

hmmm there are some other places i know about but i cannot think of them for the life of me.

watch this space
Any thing?

So,

I have a 2nd round job interview Wednesday in San Francisco. They are flying me out from NYC tomorrow. The company is located on Bryant Street.

It pays well so hopefully I get it, but other than that I got a free trip.
Good luck.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Anyone have any leads on some part time work?

Yes. Brother just got a job at Onigilly and they are looking for workers pretty desperately. Specifically the one by ramen underground.

On another note, Jane Kim just called me and convinced me to vote for her.

Back to work...

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I got the job yay!

And I found out I still have some family that lives in SF that I can live with!

All around good day.

GamerJM

Banned
Yup high scores arcade. It just opened in August. It's amazing, $5 for an hour or $10 to play all day.

I really need to go to the Round One down here in SJ. I recently started playing Lunatic Rave 2 so I definitely want to play IIDX on an actual cabinet some more. It's kinda far to Uber to and I don't have a car, though I think there's a bus that goes there.

M52B28

Banned
I would love to go to High Scores, but I'm in the Peninsula without a car. It seems like it'll be a pain in the ass to visit via public transit.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Anyone going to Day of the Devs?. I rsvped but also registered for a Hackathon that weekend too so can't decide which one I'm going to next weekend lol.
edit: Hmm apparently the Hackathon ends early on Saturday so may be able to do both.
Double Fine Productions and iam8bit are teaming up for the 4th Annual Day of the Devs, a festival that brings together the gaming community to celebrate the indie games that inspire and delight fans of all ages. This year the free festival features several games that will be playable for the first time, including Knights and Bikes, Moblets, and Yooka Laylee, among other new and unreleased indie titles, as well as food trucks, art exhibits and live music sets by SCNTFC, Jim Guthrie and Baiyon.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/4th-an...uble-fine-iam8bit-tickets-28693598325?aff=es2

M52B28

Banned
Being a student and living in the Bay Area is pretty much impossible.

I'm really just thinking about taking school part time and working full-time so I can get my own room or place.

I have another semester until I'm off to finish my degree in SF, but I'm buckling.

Either I go off on my own and work full time and finish school late or move back to my parents home in the Midwest and finish there. I'm a California citizen again after moving back to California, so moving to my parents seems like a waste, I'm only considering that.

What should I do? I only have a part time job and am living with a relative that I absolute can't stand anymore.

I could probably have a friend move out here with me and split rent with me.

Being a student and living in the Bay Area is pretty much impossible.

I'm really just thinking about taking school part time and working full-time so I can get my own room or place.

I have another semester until I'm off to finish my degree in SF, but I'm buckling.

Either I go off on my own and work full time and finish school late or move back to my parents home in the Midwest and finish there. I'm a California citizen again after moving back to California, so moving to my parents seems like a waste, I'm only considering that.

What should I do? I only have a part time job and am living with a relative that I absolute can't stand anymore.

I could probably have a friend move out here with me and split rent with me.
Do that or look for a roommate(s) to split the rent. I mean SF living is prob out of the question but if you're willing to commute East Bay rent shouldn't be as heinous

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
That rain right now.... Came early this year! Amazing how green everything gets so fast, after only a couple rainfalls.

v1lla21

That rain right now.... Came early this year! Amazing how green everything gets so fast, after only a couple rainfalls.
Yeah, it was great. Went out for some pho with my gf and it was wonderful. It also reminded me that I needed to buy new wipers for my car. Lol.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
My realization is the Transbay bus schedule is all lies.

Says my bus is arriving at 8:30 then delayed to 8:49, now it's 8:55 and the bus is no longer coming so I have to catch a different one at 9:07.

Wtf...

Edit:

Now a different bus shows up going to the same place, but the bus never showed up on anything I looked up online.

I'm sad going to be late on my first day to work now :(

M52B28

Banned
Yeah, that'll happen. The transit systems in the Bay Area can be reliable at points, but when they are unreliable, expect the worst.

That said, knowing your employer is in San Francisco, they should be a little lax on such problems. Just let them know, and I'm sure they'll understand.

The only thing is that they'll come to expect you to make up that time or wake up earlier.

I remember missing an entire class due to terrible reliability. Just have to swallow it and roll with it.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that'll happen. The transit systems in the Bay Area can be reliable at points, but when they are unreliable, expect the worst.

That said, knowing your employer is in San Francisco, they should be a little lax on such problems. Just let them know, and I'm sure they'll understand.

The only thing is that they'll come to expect you to make up that time or wake up earlier.

I remember missing an entire class due to terrible reliability. Just have to swallow it and roll with it.

Noted for future reference. They didn't want me in till 9:30am for orientation, so it isn't as if I'm running super late but still....

It's funny I thought getting an 8:20 bus would get me there on time lol

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm sitting at my new job just browsing GAF cause I have nothing to do...

AH, I missed having a desk job.

Edzi

Anyone here interested in some arcade sticks? I've decided to sell a couple of mine in the East Bay, so I figured I'd let you guys know. The original Hori RAP4 Kai and the new Qanba Crystal. Both are PS3/PS4 sticks, but the Qanba Crystal is also PC compatible.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
From the programming thread . . . I may be moving to SJ in a few months. The job is located near south SJ.

Like is it a fun place to live. What's cool about it, what sucks about it. I mean I'm coming from LA where everything is, so I just want to know what to expect.

I know SF is like an hour north, and I'll probably check it out once in a while.

What kind of opinions? Having to do with programming somehow? Job market related? I live in SJ but not sure what you're looking for
Like is it a fun place to live. What's cool about it, what sucks about it. I mean I'm coming from LA where everything is, so I just want to know what to expect.

I know SF is like an hour north, and I'll probably check it out once in a while.

Just looking for general thoughts on the area. 😅

From the programming thread . . . I may be moving to SJ in a few months. The job is located near south SJ.

Just looking for general thoughts on the area. ��

Specifically where in South SJ? South SJ is the biggest division and most populated. South SJ has the most suburban feel that ranges from the most expensive neighborhoods (Almaden Valley, Willow Glen, Silver Creek) to slightly less expensive in SJ haha (Blossom Valley, Santa Teresa, Coyote Valley).

San Jose is a big sprawl, obviously not as big as LA. Downtown is hit or miss, depending on what you're into. Nightlife in downtown changes so much from year to year. Better nightlife can be had nearby in Campbell and Los Gatos, but it's nothing crazy. Good thing is that San Francisco is 1 hour away for that.

It's definitely a working culture here that overflows the surround areas of Santa Clara, Milpitas, and Morgan Hill. Anything else you could want is 1 hour in any direction. Also don't expect traffic to be much different from LA now. Traffic has gotten so bad during commute hours the last couple years here. Ten mile commutes can take as long as 45-60 minutes, luckily late night and weekend traffic is not nearly as bad as LA.

GamerJM

Banned
Anyone here interested in some arcade sticks? I've decided to sell a couple of mine in the East Bay, so I figured I'd let you guys know. The original Hori RAP4 Kai and the new Qanba Crystal. Both are PS3/PS4 sticks, but the Qanba Crystal is also PC compatible.

I might be interested depending on how much you're selling them for. Probably not unless they're cheap though. Also I'm a little ways away from the East Bay so idk.

What's cool about SJ is... two really good cocktail bars, a craft-brew-and-sausages place, and one really fucking phenomenal coffee shop downtown? The almost complete lack of violent crime relative to any other big city? The airport being easy to get to and low-traffic? The fact that it's an hour closer to Santa Cruz and Monterey than the cool parts of the bay? Oh, and the annual Taco Festival of Innovation is super rad.

What's not cool about SJ includes, but is not limited to: most of the people, most of the nightspots, a pretty good amount of the food, the odious rent (that gets worse each year), the sanity-grinding commute (that also gets worse each year), the techbros, the college students crowding up the couple of places that are decent, the ludicrously higher-than-normal rate of property crime against cars, the racist cops, the societal cruelty on display against the massive homeless population, the sexually harasser weirdos on the street, the amount of places that reek of piss (though it's no patch on SF here), and working in the vast suburban desert of south San Jose with no decent food or culture anywhere to be found.

I dunno, in 2017 I don't think I could in good conscience recommend anyone move here.

EDIT: I did forget the most important thing. GO SHARKS! ������

EDIT 2: All the pizza here is extremely bad except for one "New York Style" place that is actually New York Style and one Neapolitan place (which isn't much like any other kind of pizza you're used to.)

olympia

Just looking for general thoughts on the area. ��

I've lived in SF and I live in the south bay now. obv nothing is like living in SF especially when you compare walkability and public transit and just general cool stuff but I find san jose to be a pretty cool community with a sick arts scene, cool stuff to do and places to hang out and people to meet. i kind of think SJ is the bay area's best kept secret tbh. west sj/downtown/willow glen/rose garden are the prime spots. i like it here

the shitty thing about it is the housing situation like charlequin mentioned, and the bedroom-community kind of nature of it. also VTA fucking blows

M52B28

Banned
I'm in Burlingame, but I go to Redwood City just to kick around sometimes.

I find the downtown area small, but entertaining.

Definitely better than Burlingame.

Just looking for general thoughts on the area. 😅

If you just want to go to work and go home, it's a great place to live. If you're looking for a hopping night scene, look somewhere else.

charlequin mentioned no decent food or culture anywhere to be found, but I disagree. The Vietnamese food rivals that of Orange County (although it's still no match for Houston).

GamerJM

Banned
If you just want to go to work and go home, it's a great place to live.

Although I agree, this can be said for basically any place in the US as long as you can get a job lol (though the job market is better here than most other places). And even if you do this you still have to deal with the ridiculous rent. I like living here, but I like living here because I live with my parents and don't really do anything all day so I'd probably be fine regardless of where I lived as long as I lived with my parents and had access to basic necessities/decent internet. I also have sensory processing disorder to food culture is a moot point to me.

A lot of Charlequin's points seemed sound, though idk what the problem with "most of the people," is. I've lived here all my life and I've had....quite a few not-so-great experiences with people over the course of my life, but I never got the feeling that was because of where I lived. SJ's a place with a lot of nice, diverse people, or at least that's what it seems like to me. Maybe he was just referring to the "tech libertarian," douchebags in the tech industry, idk, but that's not really the entirety or majority of people who live here.

What's cool about SJ is... The almost complete lack of violent crime relative to any other big city?

That's partly because of Proposition 47 where former "non-violent property and drug crimes" have been reduced from felonies to misdemeanors. While more serious violent crimes are relatively low, non-serious violent crimes have gone way up. This includes a lot of stolen vehicles and burglaries that run rampant compounded by the fact that SJPD is extremely understaffed and only respond to violent crimes in progress. Criminals know this and just get a slap on the wrist, let out the next day.

What's not cool about SJ includes, but is not limited to: the techbros, the ludicrously higher-than-normal rate of property crime against cars, and working in the vast suburban desert of south San Jose with no decent food or culture anywhere to be found.

The "techbros" that most people think of work closer to the Peninsula and SF at giant companies such as Facebook, Google, AirBnb, Salesforce, Genentech. The others (hot startups) are closer to the Peninsula areas in close proximity to venture capitalists in Palo Alto. San Jose doesn't really host much hot companies that attract these "techbros". It's rather the opposite with older networking and semiconductor companies where the workforce is generally 1-2 generations older aka the "tech oldies".

Higher than normal rate of property crimes against cars are due to Proposition 47.

Mexican and Vietnamese food culture is HUGE in SJ. One of the biggest Vietnamese communities in the US. Great Japanese food culture in West San Jose/Saratoga and Japantown. Art & music scene has been on a decline, but not all is lost. It's host to SubZero (art & technology festival), Cinequest Film Festival, a huge skateboarding and graffiti culture.

EDIT 2: All the pizza here is extremely bad except for one "New York Style" place that is actually New York Style and one Neapolitan place (which isn't much like any other kind of pizza you're used to.)

Bibo's Pizza in Willow Glen is really good. They opened up another location, but recently burned down :(

charlequin mentioned no decent food or culture anywhere to be found, but I disagree. The Vietnamese food rivals that of Orange County (although it's still no match for Houston).

Yeah to be clear that comment was geographically specific! The Vietnamese food in SJ is indeed incredible (I'm sure there's nowhere better outside Vietnam), what I hated when I worked in deep south SJ was having to drive 30 minutes to get to any of it.

There's a great scene in this short doc that reminds me of why I left SJ. Recommended viewing if you live in SJ, or have been connected to the city in the past: https://youtu.be/c9BEbWu8Ygc

Pretty sure I've ridden that exact 22 bus. And yeah, I'm not sure you could sum up the nature of the problem with how the homeless are treated here better than this film. :(

The "techbros" that most people think of work closer to the Peninsula and SF at giant companies such as Facebook, Google, AirBnb, Salesforce, Genentech.

I work in tech in the South Bay, believe me, there are still plenty of them.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Specifically where in South SJ? South SJ is the biggest division and most populated. South SJ has the most suburban feel that ranges from the most expensive neighborhoods (Almaden Valley, Willow Glen, Silver Creek) to slightly less expensive in SJ haha (Blossom Valley, Santa Teresa, Coyote Valley).

[...]

Ten mile commutes can take as long as 45-60 minutes, luckily late night and weekend traffic is not nearly as bad as LA.
My LA commutes have been 1 to 1:45 hrs, so 45 mins would be nice. :p

The office is in the middle of nowhere (IBM - coords 37.211063, -121.80560). :/

I'm trying to figure out where I should move. This is the most important part, maybe some of you can give me some insights. 😅😅😅

I can pay 2.5K for a 1 bedroom, but wouldn't want to go higher than that. :|

What's cool about SJ is... two really good cocktail bars, a craft-brew-and-sausages place, and one really fucking phenomenal coffee shop downtown? [...]

What's not cool about SJ includes, but is not limited to: [...] working in the vast suburban desert of south San Jose with no decent food or culture anywhere to be found.

I dunno, in 2017 I don't think I could in good conscience recommend anyone move here.
It sounds boring af, like Irvine . . . I wouldn't move if this wasn't for this almost white elephant gift of a job. I think I will try to make it work for at least six months.

If you just want to go to work and go home, it's a great place to live. If you're looking for a hopping night scene, look somewhere else.
I don't want to just work and go home, but that's what's probably going to happen most days. :/

I would like to go out and eat different types of food, of course.

Yeah to be clear that comment was geographically specific! The Vietnamese food in SJ is indeed incredible (I'm sure there's nowhere better outside Vietnam), what I hated when I worked in deep south SJ was having to drive 30 minutes to get to any of it.

What? A lot of the Vietnamese food is in East San Jose, and there's no way it takes 30 minutes to get there from South San Jose.

The office is in the middle of nowhere (IBM - coords 37.211063, -121.80560). :/

I'm trying to figure out where I should move. This is the most important part, maybe some of you can give me some insights. ������

I can pay 2.5K for a 1 bedroom, but wouldn't want to go higher than that. :|

I used to work at that IBM Almaden Research site. It's not exactly in the middle of nowhere, it's on top of a hill with 2 entrances to dense suburban areas. North entrance is close to the Almaden Valley area which is $$$. South entrance is the Santa Teresa area. Santa Teresa area is one of the last neighborhoods of San Jose before you hit Morgan Hill. Beautiful area with access to hiking/mountain biking trails. Not kidding that theres a turkey crossing up there, frequent coyote sightings, and the occasional snakes at that IBM site.

$2.5k will get you something really nice. Downtown Campbell is cool and the quirkiest of the South Bay. Downtown SJ will definitely get you the more "downtown" feel with some newer high rise apartments. Just stay away from that new development on Cottle Rd. which is closer to that IBM site. It's an overbuilt area with barely any addition to the infrastructure there and no nightlife. Since it's new it will cost you a lot. There's plenty to do, see, and eat if you look deep within SJ and it's surrounding areas. For a better culture/night life look in Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Oakland, Palo Alto, which are about 1 hour away or less...but also more expensive to live in.

I work in tech in the South Bay, believe me, there are still plenty of them.

I lived/worked in South Bay all my life and experienced the whole culture change. If you're talking about South Bay in general, then yes techbros are scattered here. San Jose specifically? Ehhhh not quite as much.

There's a great scene in this short doc that reminds me of why I left SJ. Recommended viewing if you live in SJ, or have been connected to the city in the past: https://youtu.be/c9BEbWu8Ygc

It's sad and has gotten worse. There are encampments all over SJ behind neighborhood walls, on highway cloverleaf off-ramps, alleyways, etc. There are some discussions around building a place for them, but the arguments are where, cost, and maintaining order.

Top Bottom