• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[April Fools] Google Maps 8-bit for NES

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hachiko

8MOHp.png

Jigsaw

Banned
i didn't even wanted to click on the thread until i read in the april fools rules that this is supposed to be awesome

indeed it is,mind blown :O

One of my good friends from high school (genius, went to Harvard) who now works for Google as a programmer was working on this project for a while now. He's a big gamer, wouldn't surprise me if really had some say in this.

No landmarks in my city, though the did well drawing the river as forest, as its really a park.
Also all the landmarks that are parks are done as forest. Pretty well done.

BTW, searched for Disneyland and it seems the only one (of themeparks) were the rivers and lakes were done correctly, thats atention to detail (they could have use a dragon quest castle in the middle as a joke though)
0Nw73.jpg

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Ha! There is a little 8-bit St. Louis Arch. I'm a bit upset that there's nothing for Disney though, I guess my area is pretty boring...

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really wish my house was on street view. I would totally save and frame it somewhere :(

ZenaxPure

Feels like random battles when you're in street view is a huge missed opportunity.

Regardless this is pretty much amazing and I doubt the lies are going to get better than this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'd buy the NES cart if it ever came out, even for a stupid amount of money. Unfortunately I don't think speech-to-text would work since the NES controllers lack mics. :(

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
When I first saw the youtube video, I thought it was a joke.
My mind was blown when I realised it was an official Google project.

Dishwalla

Banned
The Street View of my house is pretty out of date, the car parked in front of the house is one that I haven't owned for nearly 3 years(and when I go down the street the McDonalds isn't there). Sure is weird to see the ol' Neon all pixilated though, it makes it appear like it's three different colors instead of just blue.

RE lover

Haha I'm already checking the world's most famous landmarks just to see what they did

Already checked Moscow, Sydney, Athens, Rio... :D

Top Bottom