• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A SINGLE aspect kept me from loving this game"

stufte

Everytime I read this I have to go kills something cute. The RTS battles were the game, you didn't like the game, that's fine but it has no place in this thread. And the battles were awesome, great concept, balance of armies and execution of strategy mixed with close up action. I wish it had a decent multiplayer following.

From wiki: "Brütal Legend is a third person action/adventure game incorporating real time strategy elements."

It was a *part* of the game. A HUGE swath of the game was open world exploration and hack/slash. Just because you liked that part doesn't mean it isn't a valid complaint.

I know TONS of folks who were put off by this part of the game.

Veelk

Banned
Inverted instance: If not for the great art direction and production values and music (three things rather than 1, but still), I would have no idea what sane person could possibly like the God of War franchise.

Arc Rise Fantasia-Great character designs, decent graphics, and potentially fun combat. But god the voice acting. Could not enjoy the game because of it.

Gears of War 3-I was able to handle the other 2, but so much Cole and so much stupid story pretty much made me dislike the game.

Dragon Quest-The first person view in battle. I'm sorry, I want to see my characters. Probably could get into the series if not for this.

El Shaddai-I would possibly be able to play through the game if not for the terrible 2d platforming levels.

Never got past this point. I actually don't understand how it's possible. He just annihilates me completely.

That's fair. The fight is winnable given foreknowledge, but going into it unprepared after saving is a death sentence. Honestly I don't remember how I beat it the first time - I might have been a high level anyway, totally unaware of what was to come.

i dont honestly remember how i beat this the first time i played through tactics (to be honest i may remember the fight that immediately follows being harder and needing lich at 33% hit to win), but on subsequent playthroughs i realized how much ramza's squire abilities can completely trivialize this fight and the entire game. you can avoid weigraf on (almost?) every turn by moving away from him and just raise your speed and strength to the point where you are a one man wrecking crew.

in that battle all you had to do was get any one of them to critical health. if you cant do that you're horribly under leveled or bad. would only require ~250 damage from you entire team.

We got a tough guy, here.

My complaints have absolutely nothing to do with fighting. It's the fact that the fight can and often does end before your party can even encounter the enemy. If that fight were nothing more than reducing someone to low health I wouldn't have posted it.

i dont honestly remember how i beat this the first time i played through tactics (to be honest i may remember the fight that immediately follows being harder and needing lich at 33% hit to win), but on subsequent playthroughs i realized how much ramza's squire abilities can completely trivialize this fight and the entire game. you can avoid weigraf on (almost?) every turn by moving away from him and just raise your speed and strength to the point where you are a one man wrecking crew.
Yeah, Ramza's Squire class was incredible. I often used Squire or Lancer for this fight.

Good thing VIII, IX and X don't do this.

VIII does.

dq8-29.jpg

It's only when they execute the battles do you see the characters. Unless, there is a way to change this. Please tell me.

As for 9 and X. X is an mmo and I have no interest in that and IX is on the DS and I dont have a DS, nor am I interested in it's structure

BibiMaghoo

God of War 3.

The 'quicktime' sex scene. It litterally ruined my opinion of the game, and turned it from a mature title to a purial one.

Opinions on this differ, as with most things, but it really buged me as I found it so completely unnecessary.

Shogun: Total War.

Loading times. Nope. Don't care what game is, don't care what it's about, do not care a bit. I am not waiting 60+ seconds doing jack shit both in and out of a battle. Sorry. Hope your game is good though.

Veelk

Banned
God of War 3.

The 'quicktime' sex scene. It litterally ruined my opinion of the game, and turned it from a mature title to a purial one.

Opinions on this differ, as with most things, but it really buged me as I found it so completely unnecessary.

So what makes it different than any other sex scene in the series?

Boney

Banned
VIII does.

http://hardcoregaming101.net/dragonquest/dq8-29.jpg[IMG]

It's only when they execute the battles do you see the characters. Unless, there is a way to change this. Please tell me.

As for 9 and X. X is an mmo and I have no interest in that and IX is on the DS and I dont have a DS, nor am I interested in it's structure[/QUOTE]

I thought what VIII would be enough to satisfy you. Clearly not!
It works the same way in IX and yeah X is a Wii MMO so [I]heh[/I]

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The final dungeon(s) for FFIII which I played on the DS killed all the enjoyment I had for that game. The length of the dungeon, coupled with the dungeon inside the dungeon, coupled with no save points, coupled with the need to grind = enjoyment killer.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Brutal Legend stuff makes no sense. The RTS parts were short, easy, and pretty fun. And I am the worst RTS player on earth. I have a certificate and everything.

Record of Lodoss War - sound effect for boots
Far Cry 2 - respawning enemy camps
Lost Odyssey - load times. need to try it again with hard drive install.

gogogow

- Games that doesn't have camera sensitivity settings. Binary Domain PC Demo, Witcher 2 PC.

- Games in which the camera automatically follows you. It makes camera control very akward and annoying. I remember this was in FFXIII, FFXIII-2 demo, Yakuza etc. mostly Japanese games. I still like Yakuza, but everytime when I rotate the camera it reminds me how annoying it is.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Final Fantasy IX: The amount of transition time from world map > random battle > load battle > pan and zoom around the battle field > wait for ATB to charge slowly > make your first action

It's still one of my favorite video games ever, but damn. It's nearly unplayable in 2012 with the amount of time it takes to get into combat from the start of the battle.

Hobbun

A lot of you people need to learn to grind, no offense. This is a Japanese SRPJ. The truly ruthless fight is against Elmdore on the roof of Riovanes Castle because it's entirely dependent on luck, and the odds are stacked heavily against you. Lose condition is the death of a moronic defenseless NPC who actively seeks combat with one of the most powerful enemies in the game. It usually takes no more than one turn to lose that fight, and you probably won't even come into contact with the enemy.

Actually, the trick that battle is
make everyone, or at least Ramza, a ninja. Then they/he will act fast enough to engage Elmdore and keep him off Rafa.

But yeah, if you don't do that, the battle is all luck.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Far Cry 2 - quick respawning checkpoints. ARGH Soclose to being an all-time FPS experience...still pretty good but that was a huge pain to deal with. If I clear out a checkpoint with my (always jamming) gun, don't refill the point 5 minutes after I leave.

Tuck

Phi in Skyward Sword had the potential to do this for me, and she did have me cursing her names (aloud) several times, but thankfully the game was so good that I could tolerate her.

Metroid Prime 2 - The fetch quest at the end. I still haven't finished the game. The stuff before it was wonderous however.

DS Zelda games
controls

Always amazed me how people focus on the controls of these games, not the shitty take on Wind Waker's fantastic art style, the piss poor, uncreative dungeons, train (and to a lesser extent, boat) garbage, and lame stories.

I thought the controls were the best part - not that that is saying much.

EDIT: Just in case that came off a little mean spirited, I'm not knocking you for disliking the controls. I just think there were far bigger problems with the games.

This has probably been said already, but the enemies respawning in Far Cry 2. I still really like the game, but it just becomes such a pain to play.

It's not even the fact that the enemies respawn, they just respawn ridiculously fast. Two good examples from when I was playing the other day: I cleared a checkpoint, walked around to the other side of a plateau to get a mission from a phone tower (probably about 30-50 feet away) and when I came back the enemies had already respawned. How could that even be possible?

A mission called for me to go to a spot to meet someone that was behind a particularly large enemy encampment (how the guy managed to get past all the guys is a mystery in itself). The guy told me to go somewhere else and kill a guy- not very far away either. Within sight in fact. I had to return two more times to finish the mission, and every single time I had to pass through the camp everyone had respawned. It got to the point where I just drove my truck right through the camp and ran up the hill. They still followed me though, so I pretty much had to engage in combat with these guys. I would have tried stealth if that wasn't totally broken too.

tl;dr - the enemies respawn every time you turn around and it made exploring this awesome world a total chore.

dummydecoy

Have you ever been able to solve it by fooling around with a game's FOV? I've heard low FOV can induce motion sickness in some people.

Oh man this. I can play all other FPSs no problem, COD, counterstrike and Quake, etc, but half life for some reason makes me puke. Maybe it is the FOV! Too bad I don't have a copy of it anymore. But then again, Killzone 2/3 has low FOV and I don't have any problems with that as well.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
RE 1-4, and Code V....Tank Controls I love the story and everything else about these games except the gameplay...feels bad man

RE5 was a step in the right direction hopefully RE6 goes all the way

Nimajneb

Darksiders - The sheer amount of enemies. It turns the whole game into a tedious grind, it's borderline unplayable.

The damn looting in The Witcher 2. At least with an Xbox controller on the PC. Everything else almost plays perfectly with the exception of the looting system.

Shogun: Total War.

Loading times. Nope. Don't care what game is, don't care what it's about, do not care a bit. I am not waiting 60+ seconds doing jack shit both in and out of a battle. Sorry. Hope your game is good though.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat also had loading times from hell, so I quit shortly after I reached Pripyat. Such a great game otherwise. 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive and loading maps still took 5 minutes. WTF

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

OMG. I totally forgot about that fight, but always retained my dislike for Sands of Time. Now I remember why that game pissed me off so much: stupid fights with blocking enemies that respawn endlessly and totally break the flow of the perfect platforming awesomeness. It's why I've liked pretty much every game that has come since far more than Sands of Time
(except Warrior Within).

Borderlands - My biggest gripe with the game is how quickly enemies such as skags respawn after you kill them, it literally felt like I would turn a corner, come back and there they were again. It would have been better if they respawned after a few in game days or something.

Batman Arkham City - The city.

I loved AA. I loved the setting of AA. Then they pulled it out and into a generic city that looked like every other open world game ever created, had terrible side quests and made no sense in terms of story. That setting ruined so much of what is otherwise an amazing game.

From wiki: "Brütal Legend is a third person action/adventure game incorporating real time strategy elements."

It was a *part* of the game. A HUGE swath of the game was open world exploration and hack/slash. Just because you liked that part doesn't mean it isn't a valid complaint.

I know TONS of folks who were put off by this part of the game.

Except it wasn't. Wiki wasn't the be all and end all. Literally every mission was teaching you and building on the RTS elements, the side missions focused on specific units and the other side quests made you more powerful for the stage battles. Or gave you back story and rocking choons.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

stufte

Except it wasn't. Wiki wasn't the be all and end all. Literally every mission was teaching you and building on the RTS elements, the side missions focused on specific units and the other side quests made you more powerful for the stage battles. Or gave you back story and rocking choons.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Ok? You win? I don't care?

Lyude77

Binding of Isaac: The art style. It just sickens me for whatever reason. I think I would like it if it had been based on a different theme...

Ok? You win? I don't care?

Dude you're the one who was pulling out the wikipedia and shit, you clearly do care. And then you replied. If you didn't care you wouldn't engage at all, so nyah. I do care though so I am taking the time to reply. Anyway the game's marketing was clearly disingenuous but the action elements were related to the way you commanded your troops in battle, similar to pikmin, or little king's story, or sacrifice. Like I said if you do not like the way it did RTS that's cool, but take that away and there would be no game. Just a really kick ass metal compilation.

I loved AA. I loved the setting of AA. Then they pulled it out and into a generic city that looked like every other open world game ever created, had terrible side quests and made no sense in terms of story. That setting ruined so much of what is otherwise an amazing game.

You are full of shit.

nickcv

Myst V
i love the series, i've got the collectors edition of every single game (if they made one of course :p)... but i couldn't stand the jump from pre-rendered graphics to real time... i think everything just looked soul-less, less charming and much more ugly.

and while Apollo Justice had several problems there were two clear deal breakers for me:
story-wise No Maya? No Fey family? Get out of here!
gameplay-wise take away my magatama and replace it with a silly "spot the difference" game? who the h**l approved this s**t?

Orayn

Mass Effect 1: The existence of Mass Effect 2 and 3.

RE 1-4, and Code V....Tank Controls I love the story and everything else about these games except the gameplay...feels bad man

RE5 was a step in the right direction hopefully RE6 goes all the way

Prepare to have about a dozen GAFers jump down your throat for this post.

Bayonetta_C14V1_A.jpg

I love the game regardless, but that shitty flying section that goes on forever...argh. Plus, if you ever want to replay the best boss fight in the game, you gotta go through it agian.

EctoPrime

The yellow filter used in DIRT. I would like the game alongside others much more if Codemasters would just stop using it.

stufte

Dude you're the one who was pulling out the wikipedia and shit, you clearly do care. And then you replied. If you didn't care you wouldn't engage at all, so nyah. I do care though so I am taking the time to reply. Anyway the game's marketing was clearly disingenuous but the action elements were related to the way you commanded your troops in battle, similar to pikmin, or little king's story, or sacrifice. Like I said if you do not like the way it did RTS that's cool, but take that away and there would be no game. Just a really kick ass metal compilation.

Hah, OK dude. I guess we just both played a different game. I'm glad you liked it though!

Arklite

Gran Turismo 4 --> Horrible default soundtrack set

Terrible selection for racing but it saves itself through a jukebox mode where you can turn off the mountain of crap and you're left with 20-30 good songs. Most mind blowing is that the awesomely iconic Daiki Kasho tracks are off by default. I don't know who greenlit the default selection but its all kinds of bad.

Loved the setting for the game but the side missions were very inconsistent in quality.

I liked the augmented reality missions as they kept me occupied for a while, as well as the riddler trophies/missions because they were also awesome. The Bane and Mad Hatter missions was good but short, the Zsasz and Deadshot missions were also okay.
But the Azriel and Hush missions just seemed like teasers for any inevitable DLC or sequel we get, and as for the rest of the missions such as the missions where you go and get a gadget of someone or have to save Nora, I didn't seem very substantial enough to be classed as a side mission.

Top Bottom