• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A SINGLE aspect kept me from loving this game"

Sebastard

Banned
Kinect

The Xbox 360 hardware is to weak to keep on some basic features it should include. Like finger detection or scanning items. Also, the lack of a physical button and joystick makes it completely impossible to be an alternative to serious gaming.

Bayonetta

The female character and her goofing around. The killer was when that giant heel from the sky squashes all the enemies.

GTA4

THE FUCKING CELL PHONE. I PLAY GAMES TO RELAX, NOT TO IMITATE THE MOST ANNOYING PARTS OF REAL LIFE.

I dont feel like taking out some NPC to a date or bowling just to keep him satisfied.

ronito

Lost Odyssey The battle duration times are too damn high!
Skies of Arcadia The random encounter rate is too damn high!
Suikoden: Tierkries A portable game with huge dungeons and no quick save? I'll pass.

Lost Odyssey - load times. need to try it again with hard drive install.
In my experience hd install helped but only a little. The time from world map to random encounter to issuing the first command was still around 12-15 seconds.

Rune Factory Frontier:
Runey system. Messes up planting crops so much if you choose to ignore it.
Seriously RFF would have been the best Rune Factory to date, but those damned Runey ruined everything.

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D
-Difficulty - Limited health capacity failed to scale to overpowered normal enemies and bosses with impossible patterns to memorize made it the most difficult game I played and made it difficult to get immersed in the world. If it had an easy mode.

You should go play darksouls. This complaint will actually sound slightly more reasonable.

As for being on topic, and I'm weird for this I guess, but conjuration in Skyrim was such a let down to me compared to Oblivion. It just doesn't feel as cool. It really made my experience with the game not as good.

ZenaxPure

The shooting in GTA4. I really liked most of the game, cool world, funny characters, etc. But I could not get past the shooting. I hated the lock on with a passion but free-aiming felt so wonky that I had to force myself to just use the lock on. It wouldn't of been a big problem but 90% of the missions in the game end in you shooting some dudes and it made me hate the game for it. Really hope this is fixed in GTA5 or I seriously will not be able to purchase the game.

Okami: Whatever they did with the art/graphics. I thought the game itself visually looked cool but staring at for more than 10 minutes at a time gave me some insane headache. I hate the blurriness (or whatever word best describes it) of the game and I have not gone back to finish it.

Raziel

Call-of-Duty-Modern-Warfare-2-Given-18-Rating-In-UK.jpg

entremet

Demon's Souls - No checkpoints within each level. Kills the game for me. I don't have all the time in the world to play games.

epmode

Demon's Souls - No checkpoints within each level. Kills the game for me. I don't have all the time in the world to play games.
You can quit the game at almost any time and it'll pick up from where you left off. If your beef is really with the unforgiving nature of the game, I can understand that... Even if I disagree completely.

No, links aren't easy for me at all. I guess I'm just plain horrible. Games like Blazblue, UMvC3 and Skullgirls feel a lot better to me than SF4 and SFxT so I'm not sure what it is. It's too bad.

entremet

You can quit the game at almost any time and it'll pick up from where you left off. If your beef is really with the unforgiving nature of the game, I can understand that... Even if I disagree completely.

Um no. You always end up in the Nexus. It's not really hard or unforgiving, I found. I just hate having to through the level again. It's more about monotomy and not respecting player's time.

epmode

Um no. You always end up in the Nexus.
Not true. Go in to the menu and choose Quit. You can pick up from where you left off.

But yeah, if you get murdered, it's back to the beginning. Most of the levels have shortcuts which are almost like checkpoints though.

Syril

Odd case since the game isn't actually out yet, but for the demo of Dragon's Dogma, the pawns constantly shouting is single-handedly keeping me from being interested in the full game.

McLovin

Rage
It's ending. The whole time I was going back and forth between ok and wtfisthisshit.gif and that ending threw me over the edge. Seriously wtf were they thinking?

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. GBA version

Oh crap! I need to do the Ars Arcanum attack! *Shifts through cards widly while dodging on the VERY SMALL field* Come on, come on, YES!

*enemy cancels out attack all together with better combo*

Me:
ngbbs49c4efdaa23bb.jpg

Alx

Kinect

The Xbox 360 hardware is to weak to keep on some basic features it should include. Like finger detection or scanning items.

I know I'm reacting too frequently on kinect questions, but this kind of features is not really a limitation of the xbox hardware, it's a mix between the sensor design and software. For one the sensor is based on separated IR emitters and IR sensor ; as a result, complex shapes like fingers give incomplete depth data, because fingers cast a shadow against each other.
Besides, reliable and efficient finger tracking algorithms based on depth data do not exist yet (actually, similar body tracking algorithms didn't exist before kinect).
Finally, scanning items can be done, it's one of the Fun Labs apps. Of course you can't expect high-resolution scanning.

Anyway to stay on-topic, I agree that the shooting part in Bayonetta is annoying, because you can't skip it. It didn't prevent me from loving the game, but I would play the following boss fight more frequently if it weren't for it.

Mzo

Kinect

The Xbox 360 hardware is to weak to keep on some basic features it should include. Like finger detection or scanning items. Also, the lack of a physical button and joystick makes it completely impossible to be an alternative to serious gaming.

This. A thousand times this. It's almost impressive tech but not quite.

I do approve of MS letting Capcom use the Kinect in conjunction with the controller for the Steel Battalion game. They'd been real pricks about that until then.

FHIZ

Skyward Sword.

The Motion+ was just too finicky for me. It's probably something I'm doing wrong as most people seem to be fine with it.

Nah. Those controls sucked. I was much happier with the Twilight Princes, just shake the controller and you make a swing controls. I got so fucking frustrated early on in Skyward Sword with Stalfos fights. It's like they switched stances exactly with my swings. I also hated the stuff like navigating the beetle. I'm sitting there having to contort my wrist to make it go a certain way thinking "man I wish I could just use the stick..."

NinjaBoiX

SFXTK Fun game, cool concept, deep fighter with a ton of mechanics to work around.
Cacpcom.
Thanks for that, really spelled out what you disliked about it.

Ikaruga HD - Feeds you extra continues after every few failures all the way up to 9, then decides you are so shit that you won't be able to do it without infinite continues. You're choice from then on is none, or infinite, making the game either fist bitingly difficult, or pretty much pointless. Such a stupid flaw. Why not let me choose from 0-99 and infinite? Dicks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GTA (the first 3D one I think) - the 3rd person controls generally, but aiming/shooting mainly. Just couldn't get my head around it and just gave up. Tried again with a later version of the game and had the same issue - never played any of the series fully because of it.

Tizoc

The King of Fighters XIII
I like the visuals, the system is very well done, I enjoy doing combos in it.
Aspect I don't like: It's more of the same KoF.
Yes I know this seems contradictive. I don't mind KoF's system in general, and as I wrote in XIII it's well done. ...but you'd think with NEW visuals we might get a new system built upon the older one making it stand out from the other KoFs, instead we get a 'remix' of 02's with some XI and 01 subsystems thrown into the mix. Oh and EX moves...which makes me wonder, why does K's EX Crow Bites do as much as damage as a Lvl. 1 super?

AkIRA_22

Bayonetta. It was just too ridiculous, too over sexualised and too incoherent for me to enjoy. Not even the great combat system could pull me into it.

Vlodril

Witcher 2
tone down the maturity level a little..its a bit much...

This is the weirdest critisism i have seen for a game. What does it even mean?

As for me i ll say FOV. I do not need to to right at the back of the character. I would like to see what is going on thanks. Hate it. Hate that most devs dont bother putting a way to change it either.

Sebastard

Banned
I know I'm reacting too frequently on kinect questions, but this kind of features is not really a limitation of the xbox hardware, it's a mix between the sensor design and software. For one the sensor is based on separated IR emitters and IR sensor ; as a result, complex shapes like fingers give incomplete depth data, because fingers cast a shadow against each other.
Besides, reliable and efficient finger tracking algorithms based on depth data do not exist yet (actually, similar body tracking algorithms didn't exist before kinect).
Finally, scanning items can be done, it's one of the Fun Labs apps. Of course you can't expect high-resolution scanning.

Anyway to stay on-topic, I agree that the shooting part in Bayonetta is annoying, because you can't skip it. It didn't prevent me from loving the game, but I would play the following boss fight more frequently if it weren't for it.

Its not because of the creaters of Kinect Star Wars that made the game suck, it was the Kinect itself. The creaters just made a game based on the limited technical the Kinect offers.

It is to limited to advance movements because of these reasons. If it cant detect finger movements you instantly remove 10 ways for the gamer to control the game. Now were only limited to swinging our arms or moving the hand in a direction.

There isnt any physical control or joystick. This will make the Kinect games doomed to eternal railshooters where the player will never be capable of moving the character himself.

And we have the problem of scanning. For Kinect Star Wars it could have been an alternative to be able to swing around easier by scanning an object to use it in game. How great wouldnt it be if you had a, lets say toy light saber in your house and could scan it in the game and you could use it.

Alx

Its not because of the creaters of Kinect Star Wars that made the game suck, it was the Kinect itself. The creaters just made a game based on the limited technical the Kinect offers.

You can't put all the blame on the hardware... there are much better kinect games than the SW game, so the creators could obviously have done something better with the same hardware. Besides the criticism against the SW game is more about content than control.

And we have the problem of scanning. For Kinect Star Wars it could have been an alternative to be able to swing around easier by scanning an object to use it in game. How great wouldnt it be if you had a, lets say toy light saber in your house and could scan it in the game and you could use it.

That's not scanning, that's detecting other objects than human limbs. And there's no technical limitation to it, you can already track objects by image alone, depth makes it even easier.

People downplay the performances of kinect, but the technology is already powerful enough to do a lot of things. Only time is needed to develop all the required software features, because all of this is new and has to be done from scratch.

yogloo

Bumper car effect on ridge racer type 4. This is maddening, everything so perfect with this game, and that effect ruins everything. Try driving slowly to the wall, instead of touching the wall, you bounce back faster. Completely bonkers.

Sebastard

Banned
Only time is needed to develop all the required software features, because all of this is new and has to be done from scratch.

Its been what. 3 years since it was announced? And we still havent seen any impressive games from it. Kinect Star Wars was suppose to be one but turned out to be a big joke instead.

H3xum

More on the hardware end of things, but

PS3's crappy controller (raises shield)

Yes, I know, It's me, but all multiplat games go straight to the 360 for me and I have let myself miss out on a ton of titles with the exception of AAA ones because of that.

Destroy me, GAF

CoD single player campaigns : no AI and epic linearity

Ok, that's two thing, but it's a shame but I love 60fps, and I love the feel of these games, I should like them, but I can't.

Anteater

The AIs in Assassin's creed 2 I think, I don't have a problem with the game but it would've been a lot more fun if they'd keep up, but half way through when I got used to the controls, it becomes really boring to continue.

Batman Arkham Asylum, terrible boss fights

Lost Odyssey, didn't like the story

Mario Kart DS, snaking, kind of killed the balance for some of the karts, since lighter karts = quicker pick up speed+boosts from snaking, which makes them better to use due to item spam which makes slow characters not very fun to use because you have less chance to reach maximum speed.

Sebastard

Banned
More on the hardware end of things, but

PS3's crappy controller (raises shield)

Yes, I know, It's me, but all multiplat games go straight to the 360 for me and I have let myself miss out on a ton of titles with the exception of AAA ones because of that.

Destroy me, GAF

You are not alone. I have the exact same problem as you. I just cant get a grip of the PS3 controller and what annoys me the most is the position the left thumbstick is at. It just doesnt feel natural to my Xbox fingers to hold my thumb in that direction.

Also Witcher 2 :
My computer can't run it properly, no matter how I tweak it, it runs at 20something FPS, which isn't acceptable, I guess I need a better CPU (so a new motherboard, so new RAM, etc.... too expansive for just one game that runs like shit)

Alx

Its been what. 3 years since it was announced? And we still havent seen any impressive games from it. Kinect Star Wars was suppose to be one but turned out to be a big joke instead.

see MP to avoid derailing the thread...

padlock

The level scaling in Oblivion.

I hated it. It felt like any sort of character progression was completely worthless.

Top Bottom