• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A SINGLE aspect kept me from loving this game"

Castlevania LoS:

The camera and controls at times. I really wanted to enjoy this game but I couldn't get passed how the game would handle the controls when environments changed.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Syndicate 2012 - OMG my eyes, the bloom, it is killing me.

Bad enough that you think that it is a good idea, even worse that there appears to be no straightforward setting/engine variables to turn that shit off.

Wildesy

I'm not offended by this so much as puzzled. The PS3's controller has always seemed pretty unoffensive to me.

It doesn't offend me to the point of consciously choosing to avoid games on the PS3 like the guy your quoted, but it is a pretty big gripe of mine. I originally had an X360, it red ringed so I switched to a PS3 and the one thing I without doubt miss the most in the 360 controller. It's about as close to perfection in a controller as you can get in my opinion.
I think my main qualm in the location of the left stick, it definitely feels more appropriate where it is on the 360 controller. I also find the weighting and size of the 360 controller to be infinitely better, the PS3 is too small and light.

So yeah, I wouldn't say the controller is particularly offensive, it doesn't really have any huge significant flaws that stop it from doing its job but I just think it could be improved rather than simply settling for the 'good enough 15 years ago, good enough today' thing it has going on.

Oh god yes, this. I found Squall, and to a lesser extent Rinoa, profoundly revolting.

Haha, some of the dialogue was just atrocious. I'd like to think it could be attributed to a bad translation because at times it reads like it was written by children, but I think the fact of the matter is it is just a terrible script.

So by the sounds you never actually finished the game? I take it you didn't make it to the portion of the game that took place in space? Lucky for you because there is a love scene that takes about 30 excruciating minutes to unfold and borders upon being vomit inducing. I genuinely felt awkward and uncomfortable having to sit through the game's forced attempt at an deep and emotional moment. It ultimately just boils down to Rinoa tumbling around in space for about 20 minutes and then two awkward pimply teenagers trying to broach the sexual tension between themselves. Makes me laugh just thinking of it again.

dezzy8

Shinobido 2: I actually loved this game when I first got it, but it got really repetitive after a while. I was just doing the same think over and over.

Battlefield 3: The level up system is so trash. And as for someone who can't put so much time into the game, I got turned off by it.

JB1981

Just disable it in the cellphone, that's what I did for my last 3 playthroughs. Then you can still go start missions when it's disabled. Then you just gotta work it in to your routine to disable it once and awhile.

The constantly re-centering camera is worse (still love the game tho)

JB1981

Red Dead Redemption: the aiming system. With aim assist on, it was entirely too easy and with it off, it became frustratingly difficult. I loved everything else about the game, but I never finished it because I just hated the shooting parts.

The game has Dead Eye which literally slows the game down and allows you to aim in bullet-time slo-mo. You tap RB and your targets are hit automatically. What could have possibly been so hard about shooting in the game? Aside from that shooting without Dead Eye was awesome and took some skill.

Wildesy

The game has Dead Eye which literally slows the game down and allows you to aim in bullet-time slo-mo. You tap RB and your targets are hit automatically. What could have possibly been so hard about shooting in the game? Aside from that shooting without Dead Eye was awesome and took some skill.

"With aim assist on, it was entirely too easy"

Shooting while riding your horse with auto-aim off was where the problems arose for me, largely in part due to having to repeatedly fucking mash a button to make your horse run. Seriously, whose idea was that and why aren't they unemployed?

steveovig

It gets a lot of hate, but I absolutely love it. Adds much needed tension & I wish more games would use it.

I respect that but I hope they do something different with the next game in the series. They've already done 5 or so games with the timer, how about just one without the timer?

Mass Effect 3: the ending. The first run was beautiful, a lot of amazing views and moments, then the ending happened. I tried to play it again with a different class, but I can't get over the first time Shepard reaches the Citadel. I just can't, knowing how it's going to end.

doomquake

GTA 4 was fantastic! but....

Unlike the XBOX 360 version, the PC version had one major flaw that kept me from loving it the same way... The PC version does not have the visual effect of the car exhaust smoke reflecting the rear tail lights. Very very bad.

Nizz

I don't know if it's been mentioned here but for me it's Battlefield 3. In the PS3 version, there's this horrible input lag that makes the controls feel like a sloppy mess. Which is surprising since in the beta the controls were perfect.

Everything else about the game I liked: the graphics, sound, the feeling of being in the middle of a war in the multiplayer. But the controls absolutely killed it for me. Which pissed me off since this game would have been my MP game for the season. I eventually traded it in. :/

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Midnight Club Los Angeles - Forward and reverse with the right stick and keep being interrupted by cops.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
199047-anotherworld_super.jpg

Another World

Love the art, the setting, the music, the atmosphere, the story... Love it all so much.

But I hate the fucking trial-and-error platforming. It's so frustrating that I can't play the game for more than ten minutes because I just find myself redoing the same sections over and over until the controls don't fuck me over.

:/

WernhamHogg

Neo Member
Gonna get some hate for this, but mine is Mario Galaxy because the awful shake the Wii-mote for the spin attack. Ruined the game for me, I couldn't get past it. And I could not have been more excited for its release. Such a bummer.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Console FPS games that lock to target when scoped with no option to turn it off. Horribly unfun and too easy. (Killzone 3)
Any game that maps an active function to the bumpers on 360 (DMC collection)
Any game that maps shooting to the R2 button on PS3 (Borderlands)

Demon's Souls - The inability to opt out of PVP while online. The top of a long list of bizarre design choices in this game but the only one that I truly hated.
Simply play in soul form.

Mxrz

I don't think the fight is that bad. The bad part is that if you can't beat Wiegraf then there is no way to leave and you effectively have to restart the entire game.

This happened to me. A lesson I learned and carry with me still: Multiple Saves.

Unicorn

Prototype 2: No Co-op. After the first game revealed to have Co-op, then they cut it, then the game got delayed for an additional 6 months, then they said that it wasn't to add Co-op, but they then promised it would be in the sequel. WTF?

Force Unleashed: I couldn't move while force grabbing people. Psi-Ops did this shit years ago, where's my spiritual or direct sequel at?!

DKCR: The waggle. The fact that it could clearly be a button, but they decided to make it waggle instead.

NiGHTS Journey of Dreams: All of its flaws would have been forgiven if they had just had a Soft Museum type level. That whole game lacked the "trippy" that the original had. Hopefully one day we'll get a true successor.

Infinite Space: The awkward combat mechanic. So much of the rest of the game seemed really appealing, but those early "dogfights" just felt like complete "dogshit."

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion: This one aspect is actually pretty major. Cyrodiil is supposed to be a dense, canopy covered, jungle infused kingdom. Think the Amazon as if it was the capital city of the continent. Why they chose to "retcon" the scenery to generic green hills and apple trees is beyond me.

Recent Sonic Games: Whatever the fucking gimmick is, whether it is a werehog, giant sword, or a human companion, they all turn me off from actually giving the game a chance.

LittleBigPlanet: the fucking jump physics. If you're going to make a platformer, the actual platforming in the game has to feel good.

Pikmin: The time limit. Proven by the fact that Pikmin 2 had no time limit and it INSTANTLY became one of my all-time favorite games.

Mario Galaxy(ies): The lame levels where for some reason I'm in a bubble and can't hit the edges. If I wanted to play a game like Kurururin, I would play that Annoying Spinning Stick game.

Prince of Persia (xbox): The first fucking boss. Is he even beatable? I guess I'll never know because I can't be bothered.

Witcher 2: The fucking combat. How did that get through playtesting? Early on it's nothing but restart, restart, restart as the player struggles to just survive 5 enemies.

Ninja Gaiden: The warehouse with the flying robots. I killed them wave after wave, but it never ended and I couldn't platform. My friend swears that eventually they stop spawning, but for me it seemed never ending. Stopped playing after that.

Animal Crossing City Folk: The grass wearing away. Actually, the fact that they fucked up the color schemes of the palettes that had otherwise stayed consistent with each iteration, meaning I couldn't "import" my old designs, completely ruined the main thing I play the series for.

Ico: The shadow people. The stress they caused ruined any of the fun I could have had trying to solve the puzzles. Towards the end of the game, it gets better because you can ditch the stick, but dear GOD.

And just for fun

Gears of War 2: it is almost too good. [/spoiler] I haven't even beaten GoW1, let alone played any of the rest.[/spoiler]

Kalnos

Banned
No you don't. The trick is to avoid triggering the transformation and spam Accumulate until your party is getting 2-3 turns for each of Wiegraf's. The buffs stay in place post-transformation and you can kick his ass pretty handily even if you're otherwise under-leveled. And you get a ton of JP out of it, too. ;)

That's a cool strategy but it's a moot point because if you didn't get the ability "Yell", the ability that raises speed which I believe you're referring to, then it isn't possible.

The length of every single battle in Legend of Legaia got to me. The boss battles were tough and fun, but when every encounter is long it gets to be too much. I prefer lower encounter rate with higher exp rates, which suit legaia's battle system better.

Also I never played final fantasy tactics but all these screenshots really make me want to find a copy.

Jackl

Bad writing/acting/voiceovers.

Example: This isn't about strategy or tactics! It's about survival!

Only reason I finished the game was they slowed down on the herp-a-derp that was piled on during the start.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Pacing. It bored me.
Mutant Mudds: I hated the timer. Glad I tried the demo first, I would have been pissed off otherwise. I still like RK, though :)
Infinite Space: Weird controls.
Epic Mickey: That camera...

JaseMath

GTA (ALL of them): Everything you can do in GTA you can do in real life. Videogame are about exploring the impossible, wish fulfillment, and suspending your disbelief. GTA provides none of that.

SSX (2012): Dying in blind pits/off the side of mountains. What. The. Fuck. I have such a biter love/hate relationship with this game.

Vagrant Story's weapon upgrade system.

Such an amazing and beautiful game, almost completely ruined by an overwrought and under-explained weapon system.

This one million times.

Ended up having to watch a let's play just to enjoy the story and the environments.

It's a damn shame, if only they went with something more intuitive.

1307890761001.jpg

i just got a call from a dude outta Russia saying to add him to the knowledge of this feel..it still amazes me so many can easily get past the upgrade system.

televator

ME3 - You know why.

MGS2 - the...WTF happened in that game?

MGS4 - Okay, there is way too much going on and they could definitely cut the cut scenes down by half. The beauties sob stories...oh, wankity wank wank.

Fallout NV: Idunno, it just didn't feel like Fallout 3. The humor wasn't the same and even the smallest common fodder enemies can rape you. There are people who dig that latter bit, but not my taste.

MGS4 - Okay, there is way too much going on and they could definitely cut the cut scenes down by half. The beauties sob stories...oh, wankity wank wank.

A full team of editors was needed on that game. No one should've let that guy write stories without an editor. Even the really awesome MGS3 could've used a few cuts.

AEGISX

Banned
GTA (ALL of them): Everything you can do in GTA you can do in real life. Videogame are about exploring the impossible, wish fulfillment, and suspending your disbelief. GTA provides none of that.

SSX (2012): Dying in blind pits/off the side of mountains. What. The. Fuck. I have such a biter love/hate relationship with this game.
So you are a man slaughter and a rapist?

Asura's Wrath
The parts where you actually play it. Seriously, I personally found them a chore for the most part, I'd probably rather the game were nothing but QTEs.

Myst V
i love the series, i've got the collectors edition of every single game (if they made one of course :p)... but i couldn't stand the jump from pre-rendered graphics to real time... i think everything just looked soul-less, less charming and much more ugly.

and while Apollo Justice had several problems there were two clear deal breakers for me:
story-wise No Maya? No Fey family? Get out of here!
gameplay-wise take away my magatama and replace it with a silly "spot the difference" game? who the h**l approved this s**t?

Ya wanted Myst 5 to be like previous games.the still are an eye candy.

GTA4- the checkpoint system can make lvls go frm bad to abomination.

Bully-super retard controls + uneven difficulty curve which made me want to delete the game at point where u run from the cops in narrow lane.

FFXIII-2 the secret end after getting 160 fragments.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm trying to play Persona 3 FES but the 'fall down' mechanic during battles is annoying. Why put this in the game?

qq more

Sonic Unleashed - Maybe not would love the game but the Werehog shit ruined the game for me. Everything else about the game was good!

Digishine

Banned
Killzone 3.

They deleted the fuck , shit words at last minute cause they it wasn't appropriate . When you can put your knife into the enemy eye...

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
GTA 4's high maintenance bromances

Madden's "catch up" superheroism

Mass Effect 1's inventory system

Top Bottom