• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Cheebo

Banned
The special editions look to be the officially canonical entries though at least it seems. For example the new topps trading cards for Jabba note his favorite song is Lapti Nek, the Jabba Palace song that was made for the SE. The writer of the cards said this info came straight from the story group.

Will be interesting to see, the original edits might get released under a Legends banner possibly.

Dpp1978

Neo Member
The special editions look to be the officially canonical entries though at least it seems. For example the new topps trading cards for Jabba note his favorite song is Lapti Nek, the Jabba Palace song that was made for the SE. The writer of the cards said this info came straight from the story group.

Will be interesting to see, the original edits might get released under a Legends banner possibly.

"Lapti Nek" is the song from the 1983 cut. The Special Edition had the somewhat bafflingly titled "Jedi Rocks".

Rootbeer

Banned
Does anyone know when the Topps Card app resets the day? it's now 2AM and still telling me to wait for the next day for my next credits... boohoo

Also have any of you guys had luck getting bonus credits by completing the 'offers'? some are easy like installing an app (which you can uninstall immediately) but some of them try to load a website and it's not working for me :T

Does anyone know when the Topps Card app resets the day? it's now 2AM and still telling me to wait for the next day for my next credits... boohoo

Also have any of you guys had luck getting bonus credits by completing the 'offers'? some are easy like installing an app (which you can uninstall immediately) but some of them try to load a website and it's not working for me :T

It normally resets at 9pm in Australia. (30mijs from now)

I normally only watch the videos for bonus credit.

Rootbeer

Banned
It normally resets at 9pm in Australia. (30mijs from now)

I normally only watch the videos for bonus credit.

yeah those are by far the easiest and fastest. i'm going for the app installs too. but all the others i'm not touching, too much personal information wanted and/or money -__-

yeah those are by far the easiest and fastest. i'm going for the app installs too. but all the others i'm not touching, too much personal information wanted and/or money -__-

I can't see any install apps for Aussies. They are all Web games. They require Facebook and I'd prefer not to.

Decided to jump in on the new comics. Leia 1+2 and SW 1-3 arrived today. Pretty exciting to be a part of the new canon as it unfolds.

How are the novels?

Rootbeer

Banned
This damn cards app... they are rolling out the exclusive cards way faster than I can keep up. It's criminal how much the credits cost or i'd plunk down some dough for some.

Would love to get some of those Rebels inserts

ghostmind

This damn cards app... they are rolling out the exclusive cards way faster than I can keep up. It's criminal how much the credits cost or i'd plunk down some dough for some.

Would love to get some of those Rebels inserts

Wait until tomorrow, when the final Nightbrothers card drops - it's going to be a bloodbath.

I do like what they are doing with the Planetary cards though...the chase will be long, but it will be fun.

Gravidee

Wait, so
Geonosians are going to be involved in the construction of the Death Star?
I can see that possibly pissing some people off.

This was already hinted at in Episode II when Poggle the Lesser handed over the designs of the Death Star to Count Dooku.

Death-Star-plans-in-Episode-II.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
Wait, so
Geonosians are going to be involved in the construction of the Death Star?
I can see that possibly pissing some people off.

They always were. If you watch Rebels or read any of the new Marvel comics it is very clear they aren't trying to ignore the prequels at all. Lot's heavy prequel references and locations.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just opened a pack that had Kylo Ren and today's Bossk bounty in the same pack.

Best pack so far :3

NEED:
X-Wings in formation

HAVE:
Finn on the run
Millennium Falcon

1 for 1, please

anyone up for a trade?

And... QUESTION: The app stopped offering me a free pack every day :( Anyone know why that is

Rootbeer

Banned
interesting... i'd love to watch it live but the panel will be put online anyway won't it? fans always record these things, which is why I love anytime there is a big convention. Even if I can't go, I can watch MOST of the panels that interest me on youtube, sometimes within less than day if not mere hours after they are over.

interesting... i'd love to watch it live but the panel will be put online anyway won't it? fans always record these things, which is why I love anytime there is a big convention. Even if I can't go, I can watch MOST of the panels that interest me on youtube, sometimes within less than day if not mere hours after they are over.

I don't think they're supposed to but it's inevitable really.

I'm sure the trailer will be put online on the 16th after it's shown at the panel anyway and that's the main attraction.

MattyG

Banned
Are all the new books worth reading so far? I was thinking of starting with Tarkin and moving on to Heir to the Jedi and then New Dawn (even though I haven't seen Rebels yet). Are they all worth it?

ghostmind

Just opened a pack that had Kylo Ren and today's Bossk bounty in the same pack.

Best pack so far :3

NEED:
X-Wings in formation

HAVE:
Finn on the run
Millennium Falcon

1 for 1, please

anyone up for a trade?

And... QUESTION: The app stopped offering me a free pack every day :( Anyone know why that is

Check your trades ;)

Also, the free packs are only for the first few days (to get you hooked).

ghostmind

Are all the new books worth reading so far? I was thinking of starting with Tarkin and moving on to Heir to the Jedi and then New Dawn (even though I haven't seen Rebels yet). Are they all worth it?

I'm enjoying New Dawn, and I've heard good things about Tarkin, but mixed reviews on Heir to the Jedi.

Cheebo

Banned
There has not been a Star Wars home release of the original trilogy that did not contain changes ever I believe. 2011 blurays had some changes, 2004 dvds had some changes, 1997 SE's had some changes. And continuing on the 1994 THX release, early 90's laser-disk, 80's original VHS releases even all had small changes be it with the crawl or different voice dubbing on Owen/Beru, etc. I don't believe there has ever been a home video release without at least something changed from the last release.

Dpp1978

Neo Member
There has not been a Star Wars home release of the original trilogy that did not contain changes ever I believe. 2011 blurays had some changes, 2004 dvds had some changes, 1997 SE's had some changes. And continuing on the 1994 THX release, early 90's laser-disk, 80's original VHS releases even all had small changes be it with the crawl or different voice dubbing on Owen/Beru, etc. I don't believe there has ever been a home video release without at least something changed from the last release.

The changes began in 1977. Star Wars (the film, not the franchise) had 3 different sound mixes in its initial run. A 6 channel 70mm mix, a 4 channel Dolby Stereo mix and a single channel mono mix. The mono mix, which was the last to be completed, is the one with the different voice for Beru and C-3PO's lines about the tractor beam, as well as a number of other minor sound changes. It is the version I know best as it is the one I grew up with.

It wasn't until the 1981 re-release that it became Episode IV: A New Hope.

Empire's initial 70mm release had a different sound mix and additional shots of the Rebel fleet were added to its 35mm wide release prints. I think Jedi was released with only one version.

The home video releases were pretty much the same versions, using the Dolby mix for all films and the same cuts of the films. There were different masters, but the film was essentially untouched until the 1993 Definitive Collection on laserdisc. That had a new mix for Star Wars based on the 70mm 6 channel version, with some additional sound effects added to it. We once again lost '3PO's tractor beam lines. There were a few broadcasts which used the mono mix but that was, to the best of my knowledge, never officially released. It was from a VHS recording of one of these broadcasts that I first saw Star Wars.

The '93 master was used for the 1995 "one last time" release and latterly for the 2006 DVD bonus discs.

The Special Edition was released on VHS and laserdisc which was the same as the cinema release and, as you noted, there have been additional changes for both the DVD and Blu-ray releases.

Who knows what version we will get should this not be an April fools joke. There has been a new 4k scan which has been worked on by Reliance Mediaworks, so maybe this will be its debut.

Cheebo

Banned
Who knows what version we will get should this not be an April fools joke. There has been a new 4k scan which has been worked on by Reliance Mediaworks, so maybe this will be its debut.

I have heard that LFL has rejected those transfers. I'd say it's safe to assume it will be the same transfers of the 6 films we got in 2011. Especially since if this April 10th release is true it is being released with little to no fan-fair.

But I am still curious to see if Lucas made any more tweaks from 2011 before he retired from LFL. Going to be re-watching these digital releases with a close eye when they drop.

I am already dreading the GAF topic if these come out April 10th. All the feigned shock & anger over them not being the theatrical/laserdisc/etc cuts.

Rootbeer

Banned
60,000 credits on the 3 hour limited rebels pack, not one single rebels card. This app will never get a dime out of me.

Dpp1978

Neo Member
I have heard that LFL has rejected those transfers. I'd say it's safe to assume it will be the same transfers of the 6 films we got in 2011. Especially since if this April 10th release is true it is being released with little to no fan-fair.

I don't know about that but judging from the video on the Reliance web site they clipped the whites quite significantly. That is as far as you can judge anything from low bit-rate internet video. Disney likes to do these things in house so who knows what they've been working on.

But I am still curious to see if Lucas made any more tweaks from 2011 before he retired from LFL. Going to be re-watching these digital releases with a close eye when they drop.

I am already dreading the GAF topic if these come out April 10th. All the feigned shock & anger over them not being the theatrical/laserdisc/etc cuts.

I suspect even if a fully restored set of the original cuts were to be released there would be those who would pick holes in it.

Of the new canon, the books rank in this order: Lords of the Sith (out this month), Tarkin, A New Dawn, and then Heir to the Jedi.

Rootbeer

Banned
thanks for all the trades in the cards app guys! Especially ghostmind you've been really helpful :)

Any GAFers feel free to add me: Zulith (I may soon have an alternate account Zulithe so I can trade with myself, so try one or the other)

Zombine

Banned
Are golds more abundant now? I just went from 3 or so to 10 in just a few packs. Some even had multiple golds!

Also, Kanan: The Last Padiwan was REALLY good.

Zombine

Banned
No one should be surprised by this. The bluray edits are the official cuts. They are never going to undo Lucas's changes in the official main releases. Any future theatrical cut releases were always going to bonus content sort of material.

I think they should add more vanishing rocks to hide R2. God the Blu-Ray edits are amateur garbage.

Cheebo

Banned
Wait a minute the window behind darth isnt that the original look?

image.jpg
Was same way in SE and on for that scene. And if you watch the trailers there are multiple instances of SE shots.
Off the top of my head in the digital release trailer I noticed:
CGI version of Falcon leaving Mos Eisely
CGI X-Wings flying toward Death Star
CGI Yoda in Phantom Menace.

Top Bottom