• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Diablo III expansion is "Reaper of Souls", teaser site is live

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

Awesome. New class I hope.

People should go back and compare early Diablo 2 with late Lord of Destruction. That's a pretty big leap in content and fine-tuning. I have confidence that Diablo 3 will turn out great in the end (the core game is still very good in my opinion).

And for those people who take breaks from the game and come back for later patches, that is exactly how most people played Diablo 2. The only difference is all your shit is still there when you come back.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I am waiting for Diablo 4. I have no confidence that they are able to fix Diablo 3.
Are we even alive at that point?

This reminds me of a picture I took with my girl a couple of days ago... saw this D3 console advertisement on the wall:

tSg0Yry.jpg

Thoraxes

Damn, now that we know which is for which game, i'm really curious as to what The Dark Below is.
Azshara plz.

I'll also be buying this as I literally got way more than my money's worth out of D3.

ezekial45

Banned
How did the paragon system work out? Did it help to make things more interesting?

Anyway, I'm having a hell of a time trying to log into my battle.net account. I got a new phone, and I forgot to disable the authenticator before syncing it with my new phone.

>_<

Zertez

Im excited to see the new things the new expansion will add. D3 has come a long way since launch and imo it gets better with every patch. After admitting the problems with the launch ,removing Jay Wilson, and changing the direction for the game, the game has become a lot more enjoyable. There is still many things they can improve upon, but I have fun every time I play D3 now. I made a decent amount of money when the rmah went live, so that more than made up for the bad launch. I got a game I will play for years free, so it is tough to be upset over the first 5 months on a game that will be around for a long time.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Gaf seems to have forgot Diablo 2 only had 1 patch in its first 2 year's and had some pretty big bugs and glitches during those 2years

Keikaku

I have about 200 hours into D3. They need to fix the loot and do something, anything about the RMAH.

Barring that, I'll likely buy the expansion when it drops in price a bit or on sale. Without major shakeups to the gameplay, I won't get it day 1. Gimme something new and good and I'm there day 1.

Gaf seems to have forgot Diablo 2 only had 1 patch in its first 2 year's and had some pretty big bugs and glitches during those 2years
There was a lot of this selective memory in the StarCraft 2 thread. People forgot how terrible StarCraft 1 was before Brood War, especially some of the real game breaking bugs like SCVs being able to heal marines...in multiplayer :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
D3s issue was never "big bugs and glitches" though...

spootime

Diablo 3:

1. Story was a complete joke. It was so bad that it borders on comedy.
2. Blizzard still cannot get itemization right over 1.5 years
3. No PVP
4. Extreme class balance issues for almost a year

Pretty much what I'm getting is that instead of fixing their shitty product and patching it like they said they would, Blizzard wants me to pay them $40 for things that should have been patched in to the original game within the first few months. Fuck that.

Trickster

Remove AH completely. The gold based economy absolutely kills the joy of getting new items, as well as encourages goldfarming.
Remove matchmaking and reinstate the game creation system from D2
Totally revamp item stats to not just be boring as shit wow type items
Make all zones, not just dungeons, actually randomized. Not the halfassed stuff currently in D3.

Make these changes and I will buy it.

Trickster

You just described Diablo 2. Why don't you just buy that?

I pointed out the biggest things most people hate about the game, for valid reasons. If you like D3 in it's current state then more power to you. But there's a reasons a huge amount of people hate the game, and blizzard for letting it happen.

Yoshichan

You just described Diablo 2. Why don't you just buy that?
Diablo 2 is the perfect recipe for a good game. Having similar decisions in other games wouldn't be a bad idea.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
So, Dark Below pretty much confirmed being WoW Expansion at this point.

N'zoth/Azshara as main enemies is the most likely scenario.

Remove AH completely. The gold based economy absolutely kills the joy of getting new items, as well as encourages goldfarming.
Remove matchmaking and reinstate the game creation system from D2
Totally revamp item stats to not just be boring as shit wow type items
Make all zones, not just dungeons, actually randomized. Not the halfassed stuff currently in D3.

Make these changes and I will buy it.

There's been a lot of talk from the devs about how the AH ruined the game. I think it'll be removed or limited in someway.

They are revamping all the items. This is something they've been working on for a while now. I remember reading something that said they're looking to make things more random. And they've recently started talking about a ladder system.

Trickster

There's been a lot of talk from the devs about how the AH ruined the game. I think it'll be removed or limited in someway.

They are revamping all the items. This is something they've been working on for a while now.

They've also said they're looking to make things more random. And they've recently started talking about a ladder system.

There might be hope for the game afterall, good to hear.

JSoup

Banned
Well, being that I got my copy of D3 'free' via the WoW annual pass, I'm thinking I won't be as disappointed with this expansion as I probably should be. Then again, I'm sure there is going to be plenty "What the fuck is this shit?" going on in my head when the $40 price tag is slapped on it.

Ristlager

My biggest gripe that they must fix in order to get me back in: Bring back the skill tree

I never felt like I got any more powerful unlocking new skills/leveling up. I could almost be playing the whole game with the first skils. They need to be statbased, so I get the feeling of being more powerful leveling them up. Now it was: A new skill, wooo, then I look at it, nope do not help me more than my current skill. Never use it. I want to develop skills, so I can unlock other skills.

This also helps getting more interessting weapons, as they could have a pluss to the skill. Now it is just a tiny glimse at the dps score before throwing it away or equiping it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Diablo 3 was an awesome game.... if you played it without AH on Normal and Nightmare. After that it became bloody mess, which they tried to fix with countless patches.

I will play this expansion gladly, expecially if they cut gold AH and RMAH, and fix the drop rate of items to award normal players, not only bots and crazy people.

KaiserBecks

They banned my account the other day for a violation of the D3 terms of service (haven't played that game in ages, I assume it got hacked after the Ubisoft account data was stolen). I tried using their "support" for half an hour but kept getting redirected and ultimately decided their games (Starcraft 2 was on that account as well) aren't worth the trouble anyway. Blizzard is never going to see another single penny from me.

Azusa

Hype.

I loved Diablo 3 more than boring D2. I played D3 more than 100 hours and had some fun, while I couldn't finish one playthrough of D2.

My biggest gripe that they must fix in order to get me back in: Bring back the skill tree

I never felt like I got any more powerful unlocking new skills/leveling up. I could almost be playing the whole game with the first skils. They need to be statbased, so I get the feeling of being more powerful leveling them up. Now it was: A new skill, wooo, then I look at it, nope do not help me more than my current skill. Never use it. I want to develop skills, so I can unlock other skills.

This also helps getting more interessting weapons, as they could have a pluss to the skill. Now it is just a tiny glimse at the dps score before throwing it away or equiping it.

I think we'll see the skill tree make its return. There was small hints that they're adding more customization to your character. I think there was a post saying that they're thinking of letting players distribute stats with the paragon system. Though, there was more to it that I can't remember.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
D3 had issues, but it was still a far better game than the general GAF consensus, hopefully they add Ladders back and let people play without AH/RMAH and other sorts of stuff, they should just copy some of the things PoE is doing.

V_Arnold

D3 had issues, but it was still a far better game than the general GAF consensus, hopefully they add Ladders back and let people play without AH/RMAH and other sorts of stuff, they should just copy some of the things PoE is doing.

Of course it was. Then again, GAF Consensus in D3's case gets made with a not so deep inspection into the game's heart. I will not try to dismiss people's opinion who actually took the time to articulate their problems, but hating the concept of AH does not turn games shit that actually use them.

With a proper ladder, good goldsinks and actually great itemhunt/crafting game, I will take AH again any day over shitty "trade me please...guys? Someone?" system found in PoE.

If they don't remove the AH I'm not even going to bother, unless they magically manage to fix everything that's wrong with current itemization and lack of randomization within level design.

Most certainly not a Day 1 purchase, in any case.

Cels

they haven't even fixed the base game, it's pretty scummy to make an expansion

PvP? (don't give me this garbage dueling system and call it a day)
DH garbage in endame (MP8+)
Class balance?
Item overhaul?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I booted up the other day and the actual, minute to minute combat is still tops in the genre. So good ripping through shit with my Barb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom