• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Diablo III expansion is "Reaper of Souls", teaser site is live

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'd buy the expansion if my friends were but I don't think any of them will be. Diablo 3 was kind of fun to play-through with friends up to a point.

I like the game a lot, but it just rubs me the wrong way when companies lie about DRM. D3 requiring a constant net connection could have made it easier for them to build actual cool features. All they gave us was D2 plus an annoying and unpleasant chat window, and took away the offline play that I so loved.

I'm a whale, too. A whale who won't be buying blizzard games as long as they don't have offline modes. I don't want to lease my games, I want to own them.

My biggest issue with an offline mode is the ability for hackers to reverse engineer things. I always hear "why would you care if other people cheat?."

Well in a game where you can play online with random people and do PvP (I imagine more PvP in the future) isn't a fair balanced enviroment better? I guess I am in the minority, but I never played Diablo 2 offline. I don't see it being the same thing as Sim City at all.

Cheat only appear in offline? Did you even play diablo 3? Do you know how many exploits and bugs there were?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
My friend areo and I played all the way through to inferno at launch. I had fun, and then I had to go it alone on my wizard at which point it was not so fun since the difficulty balance was way fucked at the time. It was a good time but the replayability of D2 just wasn't there for me (a few hand made map variations, what were they thinking?). I'll definitely give the expansion a shot though.

My biggest issue with an offline mode is the ability for hackers to reverse engineer things. I always hear "why would you care if other people cheat?."

This is BS. Not saying you're doing it on purpose, but I ran into this argument a lot of the official forums when talking about offline mode.

Why is it BS? Because online players and the online ecosystem could function exactly as it does now, making all of the exact same server calls for the exact same things.

Offline mode would have these things provided by the client only when playing an offline character. It would be rife with all manner of chicanery but one thing it would not do is compromise a closed online ecosystem.

It's possible, and not very difficult, to solve this problem well. Hence, that oft repeated argument is just BS.

Ploid 3.0

Offline mode probably would have had mods that fixed the game the way the modder wanted it to be most likely. Something like XL mod for D2.

Hurf

Neo Member
Sounds too far in the other direction to me, good loot is supposed to be kind of rare. It was in Diablo 2.

Those are basically currencies, and the really good shit is suitably rare.

If you're interested in this genre of games I suggest you look into Path of Exile's currency system as it's the best yet designed for a Diablo-like. Orbs drop at varying rates starting in the very first zone of the game and have effects which are useful at all stages of the game, meaning that the Orbs you're building up from selling items in Act 1 Normal are both useful to you right then and are currencies that hold their value forever and can be traded for high-level items once you reach that stage of the game. Orbs are of course of varying rarity and utility and some, like the Mirror, are zod-level rare and valuable. This also ties directly into the itemization system in PoE, resulting in itemization of greater variation and depth than even Diablo 2, and drop rates which make actually playing the game (And not an AH or gold grinding) for upgrades a permanently viable means of advancement.

That Torchlight 2, a budget title plagued by development issues, has better core system mechanics than Diablo 3 is embarrassing enough; Path of Exile, a game made by a handful of guys in New Zealand on basically no budget, utterly humiliates it.

Rubius

Sounds too far in the other direction to me, good loot is supposed to be kind of rare. It was in Diablo 2.

Good loot in PoE is rare, but its still obtainable. Orbs a random too. The really rare orbs are there to rerandomize the stats of items. This mean that you can get a worst roll than the original one.
Some guys use 100 orbs on an item and still do not get a perfect roll. Orbs that are worth 100 or 200 of other lesser orbs.
You should try it, its really interesting and free.

Hurf

Neo Member
You should try it, its really interesting and free.

It should be noted that PoE takes after Diablo 2 in that it starts very slow with combat. It ramps up much more quickly in difficulty, depth and speed than Diablo 2 did but you won't be blasting a zombie ragdoll across the screen on the very first map like in Diablo 3.

Donax

Neo Member
They'd better take example on Path of Exile :
- warp to all the zones and difficulties previously unlocked
- pvp
- lots of customizable skills
- giant passive skills/attributes tree
- random items with nice properties
- random areas
- possibility to reset an area, boss included without leaving the party or the game
- useful white items
- interesting crafting
- intelligent currency system and no AH
- possibility to play with more than 3 other people
- interesting late game mechanics with the maps

Mugaaz

The existence of an auction house doesn't remove the ability for you to farm for loot and improve your character. I'm sorry but you're being absurd.

The existence of the auction house removes the ability for farming loot to be the best way to improve your character.

Cipherr

When they open a self found server/mode its going to be jam freaking packed.

They used to say they wouldn't implement a self found mode, but now little by little they have been warming to it in their responses.

A lot of gamers just want a server/mode where you can only use gear you have crafted or found. If they do that, I could see a shitload of the playerbase flocking to it. That will be a problem though because itll leave the Auction House enabled servers desolate.

datamage

Actually think Diablo III is my most disappointing game purchase ever :(

Yep. Most disappointing sequel of all time for me.

For those saying that the game is drastically improved, yea, they've fixed some stuff, however, the most important aspect of a loot game, is the fucking loot. The loot is still uninspired, bland, and boring. Unless this aspect gets a major overhaul, R.I.P. Diablo franchise.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Actually think Diablo III is my most disappointing game purchase ever :(

Yep. Most disappointing sequel of all time for me..

It's not my most disappointing sequel of all time. That title is reserved for Master of Orion III, followed closely by Kohan II. But yeah, Diablo III is up there on the list too.

What's really strange is that if you look at Diablo III by itself then it isn't really a horrible game, I mean it's well done for what it sets out to do. But when you compare it to it's predecessor, D2, well D3 just pales in comparison. They missed the mark, they chose to ignore what made D2 so great. And that's really what is so depressing. The new expansion might improve greatly on D3 as it is now, but I fear that at it's core, D3 is just implemented badly conceptually and not what D2 fans wanted, and I doubt any expansion fleshing out any aspect of D3 will compensate for that. It will always be less of a game than D2 is, unless they make some drastic reversals of design and change the mechanics of the game profoundly. Which I very much doubt will happen.

Still, I'm eager to see what they do have planned for the D3 expansion, but my enthusiasm is just metered with the reality of their poor design choices.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Well in a game where you can play online with random people and do PvP (I imagine more PvP in the future) isn't a fair balanced enviroment better? I guess I am in the minority, but I never played Diablo 2 offline. I don't see it being the same thing as Sim City at all.

This is BS. Not saying you're doing it on purpose, but I ran into this argument a lot of the official forums when talking about offline mode.

Why is it BS? Because online players and the online ecosystem could function exactly as it does now, making all of the exact same server calls for the exact same things.

Offline mode would have these things provided by the client only when playing an offline character. It would be rife with all manner of chicanery but one thing it would not do is compromise a closed online ecosystem.

It's possible, and not very difficult, to solve this problem well. Hence, that oft repeated argument is just BS.

There's no separation between offline and online characters. You can export your offline character to USB, hack it to bits, import it again and then go online and wreak havoc.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9280998875

Also, if console offline play is implemented by just having a copy of the server process running locally, and that server process has a lot of code in common with the PC servers, then it can be reverse engineered to find out how items are rolled when crafting, for example. In the worst case scenario someone could make a utility that crafts only when the craft will turn out to be good.

inky

What's really strange is that if you look at Diablo III by itself then it isn't really a horrible game, I mean it's well done for what it sets out to do. But when you compare it to it's predecessor, D2, well D3 just pales in comparison.

I had fun with D3. certainly $60 worth of fun, which is what I paid (and got like 8 times back), but the most disappointing thing about it is the support it's got since launch. It is fucking abysmal and certainly not up to par with the online games of today, especially one that was as successful as D3.

I got over D3's many problems and shortcomings long ago, but not that one, which makes me very wary of an expansion that could potentially bring new problems to the table.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
necromancer seemed like a shoe-in... i wonder if they'll announce it later.

i heard through "a friend of a friend" that the paladin thing was going to happen, so that sort of was unsurprising to me. oh well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There's more to this expansion, right? One new class and one new act seems really meager. Maybe they're holding stuff back for BlizzCon?
Of course! That's just the "big" content stuff. They'll most likely change a lot of stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom