• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Diablo III expansion is "Reaper of Souls", teaser site is live

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the game is fundamentally broken. Unless they're making huge changes, and I'm talking down to the core game systems, I won't be coming back.

Valnen

Please for the love of god remove the auction house and add a ton of new set and unique items!!!

Why do they need to remove the auction house when drop rates are going to be adjusted so that you can completely ignore it? There is no valid reason for removing it.

Terra

I feel like the game is fundamentally broken. Unless they're making huge changes, and I'm talking down to the core game systems, I won't be coming back.

This.

They should learn from the developers of Civilization V. Made HUGE changes, listened to the fans, bettered the game, and earned a lot of money in the process.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
here is a simulation

Error 37 was nothing compared to the first two months of D3, it was UNKILLABLE PACKS THE GAME III

Shit like
cotb.jpg

Reflects Damage was insane early on so you couldn't kill it ranged. If you got close it would poison you or push you back while snaring you at which point the horde of adds would get you. There was no challenge, it was a three second fight: 1, 2, dead. Which is when inferno mode became a glitch / exploit fest and a marathon of running away as a demon hunter.

My "favorite" pack was one that was those wyverns from act 3 that had the affixes invulnerable minions, vampiric, molten and knock back. You couldn't touch em and if you did they jumped away while knocking you back, you could never stay out of range of molten or anything. They were the perfect predator.

That said a D3 expansion would have to be careful not to raise the level cap for fear of essentially nullifying everyone's gear by the end of the new content. Maybe introducing item level 64 and 65 gear would be enough so they're slight upgrades but still meaningful, and instead making quests the way you unlock your new skills.

ironcreed

Banned
Nice, but right now I am looking forward to finally getting to play the game itself on my PS3 next month. A definite buy and this will be something to look forward to down the line in order to give it more life.

Yeah, honestly. You all who bought it and didn't like it, try reinstalling and playing an act or two. The game's gone through some pretty serious changes in the last year and a half. It's pretty great.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
One of the first to Inferno.

Apparently since I picked a Melee class and didn't want to farm for 2-4 weeks I was fucked due to unkillable packs, stuff that one shot you from offscreen (lol Act 2), and having such low DPS to stay alive that mobs would 'enrage' and go SSJ5 and just sap your life.

Good shit Blizzard. Still walked out with about +$400 from AH so I guess that's not bad.

Mechanics and gameplay and loot just didn't work well for months in Inferno, such a damn shame, I haven't gone back to it.
Yeah, honestly. You all who bought it and didn't like it, try reinstalling and playing an act or two. The game's gone through some pretty serious changes in the last year and a half. It's pretty great.
Core gameplay is the same though in the same areas unless there's something different I don't know of. I'm done with my loot grind.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's funny because the game is nothing like that now and demon hunter is considered to be the weakest class.

The game is definitely better than it was at release, but man some wounds take a lot of time to heal.

Any speculation on who the might use as the main antagonist? Corrupted tyrael?

I bet it will be like, Adria goes to some realm of chaos to bring the spirit of primordial death (who I bet will be the first angel ever, or a "fallen" one) to destroy all of sanctuary after her plan was foiled.
Mark my words.

The game is definitely better than it was at release, but man some wounds take a lot of time to heal.

I bet it will be like, Adria goes to some realm of chaos to bring the spirit of primordial death (who I bet will be the first angel ever, or a "fallen" one) to destroy all of sanctuary after her plan was foiled.
Mark my words.

I wouldn't mind some other evils. D3 and WoW have been reaching for the top shelf and it's a little upsetting. World enders are only exciting if they're not the only thing you fight. There's a reason Darkseid isn't the antagonist of every single DC comic.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Any speculation on who the might use as the main antagonist? Corrupted tyrael?

Corrupted Imperius is much more likely, or some involvement from that missing Angel of wisdom.

zashga

First time I've ever wanted an expansion to remove features from the base game.

I'm talking about the auction houses.

MKAllDay

So I understand that they could not ladder reset because of the real money people have invested on their characters(lol). But can Blizzard use this expansion as an excuse to ladder reset?

That is the only way I see myself buying this expansion.

I'm talking about the auction houses.

Why remove something that makes it easy to trade though? I literally wouldn't trade without the AH because I don't want to have to get on a certain time or stay up late just to have the chance to sell my items.

Auction House solves problems.

Dahbomb

So I understand that they could not ladder reset because of the real money people have invested on their characters(lol). But can Blizzard use this expansion as an excuse to ladder reset?

That is the only way I see myself buying this expansion.
They can easily have a AH ladder and a non-AH ladder (softcore and hardcore).

Thing is that the main director behind the game was very anti-Ladder but he's not on the project anymore so who knows. The game definitely needs a ladder system though, especially a non-AH ladder.

Yeah. The problem with the auction house wasn't that it existed. It's that it was the biggest priority when they designed the game's itemization. Which is no fun and it should have been obvious that it would be no fun.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Diablo III was massively disappointing in many ways, but it was also pretty damn enjoyable. I just went into it with very high expectations. I'm definitely in for an expansion.

They really need to do something about Metzen, though. All that money and production values spent on some of the shittiest, cheesiest stories and characters ever created.

Dahbomb

The game's itemization sucks with or without the AH. The loot drops however used to be absolutely horrendous until they slowly tuned it so that you can have a comfortable experience without using the AH. Nowadays you can easily play the game and beat Inferno with self found gear and slowly build yourself up towards higher MP levels.

Error 37 was nothing compared to the first two months of D3, it was UNKILLABLE PACKS THE GAME III

Shit like
cotb.jpg

Reflects Damage was insane early on so you couldn't kill it ranged. If you got close it would poison you or push you back while snaring you at which point the horde of adds would get you. There was no challenge, it was a three second fight: 1, 2, dead. Which is when inferno mode became a glitch / exploit fest and a marathon of running away as a demon hunter.

My "favorite" pack was one that was those wyverns from act 3 that had the affixes invulnerable minions, vampiric, molten and knock back. You couldn't touch em and if you did they jumped away while knocking you back, you could never stay out of range of molten or anything. They were the perfect predator.

That said a D3 expansion would have to be careful not to raise the level cap for fear of essentially nullifying everyone's gear by the end of the new content. Maybe introducing item level 64 and 65 gear would be enough so they're slight upgrades but still meaningful, and instead making quests the way you unlock your new skills.

brings back memories. I was one of the first GAFers to hit inferno. was loving the game. Then came Act II, and it was so utterly unenjoyable and perpetually frustrating I quit for 7 or 8 months. I stopped in June and the bad memories kept me from coming back again until February or March. That's how bad Inferno's difficulty scaling was. Those who came late to the D3 party, be glad you did.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I wouldn't mind some other evils. D3 and WoW have been reaching for the top shelf and it's a little upsetting. World enders are only exciting if they're not the only thing you fight. There's a reason Darkseid isn't the antagonist of every single DC comic.

Yeah but the thing about "non world enders" is you have to give them a sense of importance and that would require character development or an intricate plot, things which blizzard has proven incapable of doing.

Also they basically set Adria up to be the main villain at the end of act 3 so she's definitely involved some how and this whole Reaper of Souls name is definitely "Death" so either he's some omnipotent being that we're trying to reason with or she's turned him against us. Or blizzard might actually pull out something cool.

Those who came late to the D3 party, be glad you did.

Definitely this, I could imagine if I played the game the way it is now first I wouldn't be so irrationally angry with it. Oh another awesome pack, life link, invulnerable minions, reflects damage, vamp. That one was truly unkillable, but at least it wouldn't gank you. All damage split evenly among the pack members and it's minions, minions cant be hurt but damage is still mitigated, basically you're dealing 1/8th the damage and they heal if they hurt you, and because of reflects damage they'd heal to full as soon as you hurt them at all.

Balance.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
brings back memories. I was one of the first GAFers to hit inferno. was loving the game. Then came Act II, and it was so utterly unenjoyable and perpetually frustrating I quit for 7 or 8 months. I stopped in June and the bad memories kept me from coming back again until February or March. That's how bad Inferno's difficulty scaling was. Those who came late to the D3 party, be glad you did.

Yeah, Act II and beyond were shitty and just frustrating. I got up to the end of Act III before the first big nerf, after which I was able to finish Act III and IV pretty easily.

I haven't played the game since last August or so. I should really go back and take a look at it one of these days to see what's changed.

Played my Barb a few months ago and got him up to Paragon 49. This was after I stopped playing back in Fall of last year. I gotta say the one thing D3 did right was the combat. It was very satisfying smashing demons and watching them fly into the air.

Unfortunately the loot is the number one issue that plagues this game; not the auction house. Out of the 30 or so legendaries that have dropped for me, maybe 1 or 2 were actually useful and worth keeping. The rest I just brimmed.

Next big issue is the BORING world levels. Sick and tired of trodding through dessert and snow. Give us something interesting to grind with, Blizzard.

Zimbardo

i'm all over any D3 expansion on day1.

the flaws of D3 have been beaten to death, but damnit ...the combat is just sooo good.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I did... probably more than Yoshi did...

Hell, I still defend the game (i even played it over the weekend!)
What do you mean "probably more than Yoshi did"...?

zashga

Why remove something that makes it easy to trade though? I literally wouldn't trade without the AH because I don't want to have to get on a certain time or stay up late just to have the chance to sell my items.

I blame a lot of the problems with the loot game on the auction house. It's hard to escape the impression that Inferno mode in its original form was balanced around the existence of the AH. I know Blizzard has denied it, but the amount of farming required to overcome the "walls" at the start of each act was so unreasonable that this is the only explanation that makes sense.

Even now that that's been fixed, the mere presence of the AH greatly diminishes the excitement of picking up loot. You know going in that you won't find anything useful. Your best bet is to find something that some else can use, sell that on the AH, then use the proceeds to buy something for yourself. The AH changes the defining action of Diablo 3 from looting to trading, and I hate that.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So PC gamers can't have offline mode?

If offline mode existed on PC, people could reverse engineer stuff and make private servers a lot more easily. I think as long as there's money to be made while keeping it online-only they'll do so.

Svafnir

My biggest issue with an offline mode is the ability for hackers to reverse engineer things. I always hear "why would you care if other people cheat?."

Well in a game where you can play online with random people and do PvP (I imagine more PvP in the future) isn't a fair balanced enviroment better? I guess I am in the minority, but I never played Diablo 2 offline. I don't see it being the same thing as Sim City at all.

Nokterian

Auction house creates problems...i played a shit ton of D3 and every single time i finished the game i had a total of 2 or 4 better items that's the course of the whole damn game that's it,only way you could get good items is buy it from the AH when doing a Action RPG i expect to see good loot drops with my playthrough not just a few items,but a bunch to choose from . Witch is fucking stupid,it was not a loot game it was farming gold and lots of it.

I want Blizzard to work a bit harder and listen to the community instead wearing those rose tinted glasses and think "what is best for the game".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom