• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Diablo III expansion is "Reaper of Souls", teaser site is live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Into

D3 was not what most people wanted, but its not so bad that it cannot be repaired. The game does have potential, it just needs the right people behind it who actually understand why people like action RPGs like this.

I am excited to see if the developers "get it" this time, or whether they are just as confused as they were during D3 development.

Tiamant

That has to be one of the most stupid quotes I've seen in a while.

But I know this is only the beginning, I wonder how Metzen will break his cheesy limits this time.

That has to be one of the most stupid quotes I've seen in a while.

But I know this is only the beginning, I wonder how Metzen will break his cheesy limits this time.

It's going to be really hard to top the one-two punch that was Diablo 3 and Heart of the Swarm.

He's going to have to dig up some bad poetry he wrote in middle school.

Lothars

Loved Diablo 3 apart from the story, so I'm looking forward to this.

The trick to really enjoying Diablo 3 is to not be a hardcore Diablo player, as is my case :p .
I just like to collect stuff and destroy shit, and Diablo 3 did that very well. It's the best combat feeling of any ARPG I've played, specially as the barbarian, you really feel those hits.
Nope you can be a hardcore Diablo player, I still think Diablo 3 is one of the best arpg's, I definitely think it can get to Diablo 2's level especially with expansions.

Remove/rework paragon, or be sure to make them trivial for the espansion..
Bring back charm and runewords..
Bring back old classes..
If you take back d2 classes into d3 you can even keep ah in for all i care

KorrZ

I stopped playing pretty quickly after hitting level 60. I think this game is definitely recoverable though. I checked it out briefly recently and I think they've already come a long way, hopefully a full on expansion justifies them digging deep to fix problems.

Give me some more classes, more content, and most of all BETTER ITEMS! None of the items in the game are even close to as interesting as the ones in D2. Bring back rune words, let me gain other classes abilities with my items, make cool set bonuses like the Necro in D2 that gave you a whole new model. I know this has been said a million times, but that is in my opinion, the biggest reason why the game doesn't have nearly as long legs as D2 did.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I would love to see a ladder system that mitigates or outright removes AH (or at least RMAH), and I actually think that is pretty likely.

Itemization, of course, is a huge issue. items need to be actually fucking interesting (OH BOY THIS ITEM HAS .5% MORE CRIT THAN MY CURRENT ITEM, FUNGAEM) and there are already tons of ideas out there on how to accomplish this. Some of these ideas are mechanics that exist in Diablo 2 for fucks sake. Aside from the lazy, tragic design that dictates "main stat plus dps equals win" and overall lack of interesting/meaningful effects on items, the thing that bothers me most about the current itemization system is the entire socket/ gem system.

Sockets should not only exist as an affix. D2's system of sockets and runes being an alternative source of awesome gear completely separate from the affix/unique/set rng was brilliant. Scrapping all that and just making sockets/gems another boring cog in the "main stat plus dps (and maybe crit!)" machine was so fucking dumb.

Had good fun co-oping with friends in D3, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I notice how people have no feelings for D3 like one could have love for Minecraft, or Dark Souls..or D2.. I believe the RMAH killed that passion for 99,999% and made a few bucks for the rest..

Anyway, day 1 buy if I can convince friends to co-op :)

I agree. I'm not opposed to grinding but it sucks when the drop rates force you to spend as much as $250 on a digital weapon.

Fuck that. I quit after beating the game on Normal.

Im just curious, for all of those that hate the AH with every fiber of their being, how do you want to trade your items? Do you want to go back to the d2 style where you spam in game messages or create a game hoping someone actually shows up with the item you want? There was also d2jsp where people bought, sold, and traded items with forum tokens or real money.

I completely get that tuning drops to be poopy and good ones be rare because of the AH was a bad move and that tuning is supposedly being undone, but how do you want to trade items? The AH was a safe and secure place to do business and nothing more.

I am anxiously awaiting and xpac. I do miss random zones, but at least dungeons and monsters are random. I did put in 1200 hours into my DH and love it. I am taking a break to play other games, but I am for sure going back when the item patch hits.

Risible

probably will not get it at launch. Wait for initial reaction before jumping in.

If you had told me two years ago that I would be agreeing with this post I would have said you were fucking nuts. Not buying a Blizzard game Day One? Madness!

Then D3 came and I realized how far Blizz had fallen :(. Fucking RMAH and shitty item drops, so fucking stupid.

inky

So conflicted. Will definitely wait for impressions and a detailed view of all the changes, but if it pays for itself like the last one I might end up getting it.

Risible

Im just curious, for all of those that hate the AH with every fiber of their being, how do you want to trade your items? Do you want to go back to the d2 style where you spam in game messages or create a game hoping someone actually shows up with the item you want? There was also d2jsp where people bought, sold, and traded items with forum tokens or real money.

I played a shit ton of D2 and NEVER traded. It was easy to find "good enough" drops that allowed me to play the game. With the way DPS is tied to your main weapon in D3, if you don't have good weapons and armor good luck getting through Inferno.

In addition, it was fun to play through D2 trying different builds. With the way skills are implemented in D3 there's no reason to play more than one class to 60 because you can experience everything it has to offer by switching on the fly.

LogicStep

Really? Do you really want D2? When the last time you played it? Do you remember D2?

Am i the only one who remember how shitty the items were in D2? Excluding OP duped items, the core fucking items in the game. There were like 8 items. Everyone used the same thing minus charms/weapon. The level design was extremely weak, PVP was highly unbalanced. You spend day and night farming SOJ's.

D2 isn't the master piece everyone claims it to be. It's an extremely flawed game that was completely ruined 2 years in from hacked items.

Yes I remember the game, I gave over 4 years of my life to that game. The original D2 had many issues but it was better than D3. LOD made the game even better. 8 items? Way to limit yourself. Yeah most people used the top tier items but there were a lot of top tier items, or viable if you will. The game was FUN, something I didn't get from D3. The level design kicks the shit out of D3 level design. The levels were mostly random with a few key things that always stayed the same, D3 did the opposite, most of the levels were always the same with some random elements thrown in. At leas that's how it felt to me, much less random. I didn't care for PVP so I have no opinion on that. I didn't spend day and night farming SOJs, I did spend time farming bosses and stuff and that was fun. There were a lot of set items that were good, uniques that were good, we had amazing rune words, and the rares could be godly. D3, not so much.

Though I haven't played D3 in a long time so I don't know if things have changed.

Considering the radical changes that D2 underwent in it's first and only exspansion, and considering how much better in every category it made the game, people probably shouldn't be so quick to write this off.

D2 wasn't the amazing game people remember when it came out, what most people remember is what it was post LoD and post patches after LoD. D2 was kind of just ok during its launch and didn't become the greatest loot game to this day until LoD and after. D3 is ok right now, so wait and see what they do in this exspansion or you may end up robbing yourself of something potentially special.

I agree with you. I hope the expansion turns the game into the loot game of the forever but it's just frustrating that they couldn't get it right the first time considering they went through this with D2. So with that experience I would have expected for D3 to be even better that LOD but obviously that wasn't the case.

I played a shit ton of D2 and NEVER traded. It was easy to find "good enough" drops that allowed me to play the game. With the way DPS is tied to your main weapon in D3, if you don't have good weapons and armor good luck getting through Inferno.

In addition, it was fun to play through D2 trying different builds. With the way skills are implemented in D3 there's no reason to play more than one class to 60 because you can experience everything it has to offer by switching on the fly.

And this.

Magnus

I....I can't fathom spending hundreds of dollars for in game weapons. I'm so glad the RMAH is so reviled. I'm just hoping that design never makes it to WoW.

KrawlMan

Did anyone like Diablo 3 - except Yoshichan?

I loved it all the way up to, and partly into, Inferno. I started to dislike the game when I realized that there was no way I was going to ever feel "powerful" in the endgame like I did in Diablo 2. I didn't love Diablo 2 because it challenged me to survive every encounter in Hell. I loved it because I could see so clearly how with each piece of gear upgraded my character was slowly but certainly turning into a complete badass even in the game's final battles.

All Inferno did was beat me to a pulp and absolutely crush my spirit.

I still enjoy jumping in and playing Diablo 3 from time to time. I had a lot of fun playing it when it came out. Hopefully Blizzard delivers with this expansion.

Then play self found and ignore the AH an it goes away. Its easy to find "good enough" gear to beat inferno on mp0 or 1, especially with the new crafting. Its not like theres AH spam all over the game. Its a single button on home screen. You don't need high end weapons or armor for this game unless you want do play at high MP or complete with other high end players.

For paragraph #2, this one of the reasons I love D3 over D2. I don't have to waste 10-20 hours leveling a character just to find out the build I chose sucked butt. I can change my build anytime I want, and frequently do depending on what Im doing. I know there are those that want to build a character and want permanent choices and I thought I felt that way when D3 launched, but I changed my mind. Being able to freely change builds helps break up the monotony of A3 (D3s Baal runs) runs.

Skab

It's probably already been mentioned, but the quote comes from the prophecy talked about in The Book of Cain.

And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost
as Justice falls upon the world of men.
Valor shall turn to Wrath-
and all Hope will be swallowed by Despair.
Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all-
as Fate lies shattered forever.

Which is obviously talking about the Angris Council.

D3 Has the potential to be a great game, but they really need to take out the RMAH. It is the killer of the game, If you want to keep RMAH then make D3 free to play like a lot of other companies are doing.
As for abilities and spells, they really did a good job there. Its fun to try different styles and see how they work against certain opponents.
The Magic find buff though has to go, why collect\use Magic find gear when you're maxed out by Paragon level 10...
The bosses need to be more difficult (with the exception of Belial) and drop better loot, I can do 5 Diablo runs with full Magic find and find absolutely nothing that can be sold.
The legendaries are improving, but its quite the annoyance when you find a weapon that does as much damage as a blue. I don't care if I leave a trail of fire behind me when I walk, I need the damage!

mrhGB

Banned
Day 1. While Diablo III wasn't what I wanted at launch the first playthrough was extremely fun. I'd pay good money for more of those gorgeous cut scenes.

Then play self found and ignore the AH an it goes away. Its easy to find "good enough" gear to beat inferno on mp0 or 1, especially with the new crafting. Its not like theres AH spam all over the game. Its a single button on home screen. You don't need high end weapons or armor for this game unless you want do play at high MP or complete with other high end players.

For paragraph #2, this one of the reasons I love D3 over D2. I don't have to waste 10-20 hours leveling a character just to find out the build I chose sucked butt. I can change my build anytime I want, and frequently do depending on what Im doing. I know there are those that want to build a character and want permanent choices and I thought I felt that way when D3 launched, but I changed my mind. Being able to freely change builds helps break up the monotony of A3 (D3s Baal runs) runs.

I don't mind having the option to re-roll a character but I would like a real skill tree.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

i didnt realize my demon hunter played the same as my barbarian, bro. give me your secrets!!

C.Dark.DN

Banned

RNG doesn't go away just because I choose to ignore something. What if I want to go higher than mp0/1? I wont play Diablo 3 again until the auction house and RMAH are removed and then the RNG would be scaled for self found/small scale trading completely. D3 burned me out so bad that I haven't really spent time on Path Of Exile, which doesn't have an AH. I haven't even got to level 2 in POE.

Teknoman

I seriously doubt they'll rip out the auction house. That is here to stay... I can see them trying to further improve on item aspects though. Kinda sucks to see no one really has any hopes about the soundtrack though. I know the core gameplay systems are important, but now i feel like rev. lovejoy's wife lol. "will someone please think of the soundtrack!"

I agree with you. I hope the expansion turns the game into the loot game of the forever but it's just frustrating that they couldn't get it right the first time considering they went through this with D2. So with that experience I would have expected for D3 to be even better that LOD but obviously that wasn't the case.

Yeah it certainly would have been nice to have it be the game everyone hoped it would be and be a better more modern version of LoD, but the developers are only human and it is incredibly hard to even come close to reaching the level of quality that LoD was at never mind surpass it right out of the gate on a totally new game.

It is fine to be dissatisfied with D3 to whatever extent you feel, I would just advise people to not let it sour them to the point they completely write a D3 exspansion off because they likely could be doing themselves a disservice. Wait for some info and other peoples impressions before deciding ultimately if you are interested or not. There is a precedent for Blizzard and releasing products that are "OK" out of the gate and then later improving them massively through patches and exspansions and its not just from the Diablo series.

Ultimatum

Banned
You shouldn't preorder any game from any company.

Why not? There's a handful of developers I trust to release games which I will enjoy, and those are the games I preorder. Being part of that release day community in online games is especially fun too, but I can't be bothered to waste my time/money on Diablo.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
This fucking game.
THIS FUCKING GAME

The only reason I am even contemplating buying this, is to watch the trainwreck come to life again. Although I made a blood oath to never give blizzard another dollar of mine, so I'll have to either cash in on one of my characters to get it or something.

V_Arnold

i didnt realize my demon hunter played the same as my barbarian, bro. give me your secrets!!

Yeah, I must have played a different game as well. It is one thing to have 4 different classes at lv60, but I also had like half a dozen different Wizard builds (not even exaggerating the number), and at least 4-5 Mp4-5-viable WD builds as well. Insane.

RNG doesn't go away just because I choose to ignore something. What if I want to go higher than mp0/1? I wont play Diablo 3 again until the auction house and RMAH are removed and then the RNG would be scaled for self found/small scale trading completely. D3 burned me out so bad that I haven't really spent time on Path Of Exile, which doesn't have an AH. I haven't even got to level 2 in POE.

Well, supposedly, they are taking a lot of RNG out equation. Instead of a stat on an item rolling 25-100, its going to roll 75-100. RNG will still be there for getting the right rolls, but they shouldn't be terribly low anymore.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
probably will not get it at launch. Wait for initial reaction before jumping in.

This is my stance too.

I'm very excited for the expansion just to see what it will have, but I won't be buying it day 1. I bought D3 at midnight on day 1, and although I have over 100 hours into it, and I still play a little bit of it now and then, the game greatly dissapointed me. This will be the first Blizzard game that I don't buy on day one in over a decade, but after the initial D3 letdown that's just how I feel as a consumer. And they have a lot of impressing to do in order to convince me to buy it at all.

I hope they really bring their A game this time...

davepoobond

Yeah, I must have played a different game as well. It is one thing to have 4 different classes at lv60, but I also had like half a dozen different Wizard builds (not even exaggerating the number), and at least 4-5 Mp4-5-viable WD builds as well. Insane.

how dare you experiment and change the way you have fun with a character on the fly

you should be leveling a whole different character that is the same class if you want to do that! there's like no reason you should be able to re-customize anything in any game. you should have to start over from the beginning. that's what makes it fun

Maledict

That doesn't work. My wizard was paragon level 26 and has yet to find a single item worth selling on. The 8 uniques I found were completely garbage and I haven't found a single set item. Every item I'm wearing comes from the AH and not a single one of them cost more than 250K. The games itemisation is based on their being an AH and a massive,massive turnover of items. Attempting to play with just 'earned items' is frankly impossible unless you are a masochist or the luckiest person alive. You would also need the patience of a saint.

davepoobond

That doesn't work. My wizard was paragon level 26 and has yet to find a single item worth selling on. The 8 uniques I found were completely garbage and I haven't found a single set item. Every item I'm wearing comes from the AH and not a single one of them cost more than 250K. The games itemisation is based on their being an AH and a massive,massive turnover of items. Attempting to play with just 'earned items' is frankly impossible unless you are a masochist or the luckiest person alive. You would also need the patience of a saint.

the itemization problem is completely separate from the AH.

the AH solved a problem that was unintentionally created. it was bad game design, not the AH that created what you are seeing.

you're going to see the same shit on the console version. they didn't improve the loot in the console version for "Loot 2.0"

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
you should have to start over from the beginning. that's what makes it fun

It... kind of is, though, at least to some degree. Unlike D3, D2 didn't really have a reasonable level cap. Sure, 99 existed, but most character never got there. A big part of the D2 experience is the constant, incremental feeling of increasing power as you level up your build and assign skill points. That in itself is a fun experience for many, and at least objectively can be agreed that it's a different experience from swapping skills on a max level character.

Dysun

Hopefully the expansion makes the game playable again, if for only a few weeks at least.
Never thought Diablo would file in with the rest of my disposable gaming experiences, but hey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom