• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two former Last Guardian artists start an indie studio

wall_small2.gif

storm.gif

DitherTest.gif

boyStampWater.gif

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Django-Unchained-You-Had-my-Curiosity_zpsba929738.gif

zeopower6

They should just let everyone go. So much talent wasted on single title. Let those guys work on a more competent studio that will actually release a freaking game in less than a decade.

Japan Studio has produced a bunch of games in the last year or two. I don't think they'll ever dissolve that, but from what Shu's said it sounds like they scaled back on Team Ico's efforts a while ago (like 2012-2013) so these artists were able to leave and do what they wanted. Some of them seem like they were recruited from freelance for The Last Guardian, so they're just going back to what they had been doing before.

This article probably illustrates what had been going on at the studio for a while before they got a new head of Japan Studio.

(this was sometime in 2010/2011)
At that time, there were 40-something titles in production, and the environment was, what Becker called, "a free-for-all."

A more recent interview had better news.
All three titles we’re announcing today are for PS Vita. Is this a coincidence or is JAPAN Studio putting a special emphasis on handheld development at present?

Allan Becker: As I mentioned, we are tasked with supporting our region and the PS Vita market in Japan/Asia is still growing. So we hope that these three titles will support continued growth of the PS Vita. Currently, the studio has many titles in development across several hardware platforms, so there is no specific emphasis on handheld development.

Codeblue

Certainly looks like something Team Ico would produce. Hopefully it'll play like one too even without Ueda, although it'd be great if he were involved as well.

I'm just loving some of the pictures and GIFs I'm seeing. We're truly at a point now with games where developers have as much power as they require to express just about any vision. It simply comes down to having a clear vision and the necessary creative, artistic and technical talent to pull it off.

Can't disagree. It looks fantastic. Like a grim, darker version of Journey...

Hedge

Wow, this does look interesting. But the colour spectrum shown thus far does have me worried they won't go beyond that palette.
Either way, can't wait to see what they'll produce.

Journey meets ICO, I like what I see in these screens and gifs. Day 0 probably ;)

TLG is still alive and kicking though.

Will that boy be able to transform into a bird, could this be his "odd ability"?

Prototype

The landscape looks extremely barren and the story sounds incredibly similar to ico.

Not sold on this at all. Need to see more.

Top Bottom