• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two former Last Guardian artists start an indie studio

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
wall_small2.gif

storm.gif

DitherTest.gif

boyStampWater.gif
ZYN9F.jpg

Holy shit. I want this. I want this NOW.

KOHIPEET

Hopefully this signs the end of TLG and people can finally mourn it with respect while playing this awesome looking game.

sublimit

Banned
This looks very interesting but for me the real news here is that two non-Japanese people worked for Team Ico (a previously Japanese only team.)
I wonder if any other western devs worked for Team Ico during TLG development (besides SSM) and if that has impacted the game in comparison to Team Ico's previous two games.

Hopefully this signs the end of TLG and people can finally mourn it with respect while playing this awesome looking game.

Everyone knows that development studios go out of business when team members leave. Hence why Uncharted 4 was cancelled and Ubisoft went bankrupt after Phil Fish left... wait, what?

This game looks great but has nothing to do with TLG eventually being released or cancelled. They are still working on it, that's all we know for now.

Holy shit. I have straight up experienced stuff like this in dreams.

When it comes to ICO and/or Wander & The Colossus, the overall aesthetic and how it's presented really makes those games come to life. For me, the character and environment art in those games are their most defining qualities, and definitely places them in a realm separate from a majority of titles one encounters.

The media presented in this title shows you how instrumental these two artists were in defining the presence found in ICO as well as Wander & The Colossus. (Except they didn't work on either of those titles. HURR)

Two former Team Ico concept artists have started up an indie studio called "Friend & Foe." Rasmus Deguchi and Rui Guerreiro (former character artist) worked on The Last Guardian in 2009-2012.

I think this quote and Ueda's obession with wanting to push the power of systems confirms that it was moved to Playstation 4 in late 2011-2012.

∀ Narayan;117826529 said:
The media presented in this title shows you how instrumental these two artists were in defining the presence found in ICO as well as Wander & The Colossus.

To my knowledge, neither worked on those titles, only The Last Guardian.

zeopower6

To my knowledge, neither worked on those titles, only The Last Guardian.

It looks as though they were both picked up for The Last Guardian... Possibly from that job listing in 2007-2008?

I think one had a much larger role (Rui) than the other however. The overall vision was likely still Ueda's for all three projects, it was just a matter of finding artists to help execute.

This looks very interesting but for me the real news here is that two non-Japanese people worked for Team Ico (a previously Japanese only team.).

Both of these artists are half Japanese aren't they? The new guy in charge at Japan Studio is also half Japanese.

This.... is just made by two guys? God damn, what the hell was the scope of TLG when they were 50?

I always thought the main issue with The Last Guardian was trying to get the AI right. :/ Also the PS3 reportedly couldn't handle the game...

Their studio seems to be made up of people from Shapefarm?

Harlequin

Wow, the game looks gorgeous. This is the kind of cel-shading I can get behind. Either way, I hope they'll have platforming mechanics in the game :D.

sublimit

Banned
There's a small handful western names on Wikia's list of past and present Team Ico members: http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Team_Ico

Umm...only one westerner worked in any of Team Ico's previous games (Rory Little SOTC character animator) which i admit i knew nothing about.

∀ Narayan;117826529 said:
The media presented in this title shows you how instrumental these two artists were in defining the presence found in ICO as well as Wander & The Colossus.

Only they have never worked in either Ico or SOTC. But they are taking inspiration from those games which is a good thing i guess.
Edit:Oops i missed qualitydisc's response.

sublimit

Banned
Both of these artists are half Japanese aren't they? The new guy in charge at Japan Studio is also half Japanese.

I think one of them is indeed half-japanese (as the name Rui suggests) but not the other one.

And if you mean Allan Becker (the current head of Japan studio) i think he is 100% non-Japanese.He was previously working for SSM.

Amir0x

Banned
Those gifs are from an actual game? Not some concept to get funding?

Looks incredible if those are from a game.

In-game, yes. Actually there is one detail of those gifs that is slightly annoying me because everything else looks so good. With the sandstorm in the background and the lightning kicking stuff of, the sands beneath the characters feet should be a constantly shifting thing, blowing in lines and snaking across the surface. It seems pretty static for the storm going on.

I think the artistic direction is friggin sick, so I dunno why that little thing sticks out to me cause it looks so damn good lol

zeopower6

I think one of them is indeed half-japanese (as the name Rui suggests) but not the other one.

And if you mean Allan Becker (the current head of Japan studio) i think he is 100% non-Japanese.He was previously working for SSM.

Rui is actually a common first name for Portuguese boys so it might be Deguchi who is Japanese. Also Allan Becker is half Japanese. He talks about it in interviews.

Becker is actually half American, Half Japanese and has been raised in Japan. He speaks Japanese fluently and he embodies both the American and Japanese cultures. He loves the Japanese culture and the most creative Japanese games. He really loves PaRappa the Rapper for instance. That’s why he accepted without reserve.

J-Skee

This looks insanely good. Looks a lot like Rime (which, funny enough, is inspired by Team Ico). Hope it comes to console sooner than later.

Sweet Ivy

Allan Becker is half-Japanese (as far as parents go) and actually lived his first 18 years or so in Japan, so he is very Japanese.
His appointment as head of the Japan Studios was actually kind of a going back home for him (he said that in an interview): http://kotaku.com/how-sonys-most-creative-studio-rose-from-the-ashes-1458030068

sublimit

Banned
Allan Becker is half-Japanese (as far as parents go) and actually lived his first 18 years or so in Japan, so he is very Japanese.
His appointment as head of the Japan Studios was actually kind of a going back home for him (he said that in an interview).

As i said i was wrong.
His name and him being the head of SSM before moving to SCEJ kinda fooled me.

Top Bottom