• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two former Last Guardian artists start an indie studio

awww they're adorable: "Friend & Foe is an independent game developer founded in 2014 by five devilishly handsome artists & unlettered programmers. We've set up shop in lovely Tokyo to put our years of experience and complaining to the test - going full indie and bringing our own games to the world. We consist of three-fifths Swede-in-exile, and two parts Southern European madman. We are clearly up to no good".

2nsWgde.gif

In-game, yes. Actually there is one detail of those gifs that is slightly annoying me because everything else looks so good. With the sandstorm in the background and the lightning kicking stuff of, the sands beneath the characters feet should be a constantly shifting thing, blowing in lines and snaking across the surface. It seems pretty static for the storm going on.

I think the artistic direction is friggin sick, so I dunno why that little thing sticks out to me cause it looks so damn good lol

I think they're still in the development phases, or it could be the technology isn't up to snuff but it clearly shows why Team ICO is being selective with their headcount when you consider talents like this.

krYlon

Looks amazing.

Maybe this will be the game to finally fill that team ico hole. I didnt really like journey like everyone else, this seems a lot closer to the atmosphere I dig.

Paz

Fantastic artwork but I feel like a lot of people in this thread are projecting Team Ico game qualities on to something we know barely anything about, there's a lot more to those games than just their visuals.

Cautiously optimistic.

Fantastic artwork but I feel like a lot of people in this thread are projecting Team Ico game qualities on to something we know barely anything about, there's a lot more to those games than just their visuals.

Cautiously optimistic.

That's true, I'm one of those who love the look of the game and get a strong ICO vibe. The devs have worked on some major games though and have a lot of experience between them so I'd be surprised if the gameplay isn't up to par.

God I waited so much for The Last Guardian. Even if Sony said otherwise I'm now convinced it won't come or it won't be as good as I hoped it would be.

Good thing is I have now a new baby to love. This looks amazing... but only PC for now... and more importantly
RELEASE: when it's done
:/

Yeah... I'll go back into sleep mode. Now ThatGameCompany, please announce this "Under Development" game ! Or at least release Cloud on PS4.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Just realized a friend of mine is actually helping them out on the other game they have on their site, I even saw an early prototype for it a long time ago. Too bad (in a way) that it wasn't Vane instead!

Haunted

This looks great! Considering Team Ueda's headcount, we could get like 4-5 more indie studios out of the talent that once made up that team. :D

Though most of them probably have been folded back into SCEJ or snatched up by other devs.

Zoe

Rui is actually a common first name for Portuguese boys so it might be Deguchi who is Japanese. Also Allan Becker is half Japanese. He talks about it in interviews.

Rui may be Brazilian-Japanese. It would be surprising for Deguchi to not be part Japanese with that last name.

Allan Becker's "origin story" sounds like it is straight out of an anime. A half american living in Japan? Manga/Anime has been using that excuse for quite a long time to explain how blonde people are running around Tokyo. His life story is like a fantasy tale for those fascinated by the west.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
These gifs look insane! I want it!!!

Wasn't the original Team ICO basically made up of animators and artists from a bunch of studios who went off to do their own thing?

Either this is secretly TLG or TLG is truly dead

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Edit: hmm, my attempt to edit that GIF didn't turn out as smoothly as I hoped. Just need to trim a few seconds at the beginning to get rid of the cursor.

Game looks very promising.

CamHostage

This looks great! Considering Team Ueda's headcount, we could get like 4-5 more indie studios out of the talent that once made up that team. :D

That's not really how Japanese companies tend to work, though. They use the more general large company style (I believe places like Midway and EA worked like that back in the day) with no walls and dedicated office groups, where there are just a pile of staffers, and they're doled out as needed and shifted depending on the demands of the project. You'll work on one game now, a totally different project later on. When you're committed to a development, that's your "team" and the group does solidify in that process, but you don't necessarily stay with the same people throughout your career (though creative heads do often pull common staff, and there are of course people who specialize.) Nowadays, with 100+ staffers working 3 years on a project, you can't really work so loosely in most companies; that's also unfortunately a factor in the harsh project launch cuts and to a lesser degree the annualized game projects, there's not the same ebb&flow when the scale is so big.

Apparently, TGL's downfall is supposedly how Puppeteer was able to spin up so fast, they had a lot of bodies ready to jump ship when Last Guardian was put on development turnaround.

Top Bottom