• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
lherre basically confirmed that it's not 2GB.

I remember the line that everyone reacted that way to and I didn't get that from his statement. It sounded almost like was overreacting for fun: "Huh? 2GB? What? Huh? Where am I? Who are you people?" I couldn't really take it as a denial of any sort. Heck, I might have even thought it was a confirmation...

z0m3le

Banned
Agreed but he was "comparing" it with the IPAD/other tablets, in regards to web browsing.

I'm not so sure the WiiU will replace my -shitty- Archos70IT for sofa browsing.

It should be comparable... most people surf with 1 hand on a tablet anyways, and scrolling can be offset the same way it was on the G1 (single touch) heck using a stylus with the tiny buttons you get all over the web will be a breath of fresh air, can't tell you how many times I've tried to click something on a website and either the page hadn't loaded fully, and the link that I clicked on moved, so I hit an advertisement or I just didn't hit the button right on... With the faster specs (easily 10x current tablets) should make that pretty much instant, ESPECIALLY thanks to the ram.

I could go on, but it's really just opinions we are throwing around here, at least if we get draw something on Wii U, I might actually be able to draw... what a change that will be.

About the 2gb ram Many systems doubled ram right before release... 3DS is one of them, but 360 was another, so 2GB isn't outside the realm of possibility, it really comes down to if the system will need it, and just my opinion again, but 2GB would help this system more than a bump in any other spec, it's also relatively cheap and shouldn't raise the heat very much. It's possible.

So who else is in favor of a totally open HW system/OS/boot loader? Keep the online/patches/updates secure, but the system itself and what you can do with it totally open to user options. That would be a great console.

It'll never happen, but I can dream.

BurntPork

Banned
yeah but that was ages ago.
It was recent.
BP, can you link me to his post regarding this please?
Remind me later. Searching for it on my phone would be a pain.
I remember the line that everyone reacted that way to and I didn't get that from his statement. It sounded almost like was overreacting for fun: "Huh? 2GB? What? Huh? Where am I? Who are you people?" I couldn't really take it as a denial of any sort. Heck, I might have even thought it was a confirmation...
Nothing wrong with seeing the glass half full I guess.

Here's the problem I have with the Android rumor:

Isn't the Wii U effectively a closed-box PC?

Why use a mobile-centric OS in a PC? That's like installing Windows Phone 7 series or iOS on your desktop. Does it even have the resources necessary to handle high-end graphics cards?
I'm guessing that you haven't seen Windows 8 or OS X Mountain Lion.

I'm guessing that you haven't seen Windows 8 or OS X Mountain Lion.

False. Like the new Xbox 360 Dashboard/Home Menu, I dislike it immensely. That big-box-icon interface is fine for a mobile device, but a desktop? No thank you.

AceBandage: give me the original lherre post(s), please, if you can.

It doesn't matter how powerful the console is when you have a resistive touch screen.

This will be solved when Sony and MS roll out their imitation resistive touch screen controllers on their more hardcore super, duper powerful systems. Then having a touch screen controller will be much more psychologically acceptable!

Can't imagine "smooth" browsing with anything other than capacitive.

mst3k_no.gif

wsippel

Banned
Thing is: Android is just a collection of software and libraries running on Linux, not really an "operating system" in itself. And Integrity, like Linux, has no graphical user interface, no user interface toolkits, no clipboard handling, no browser - nothing. Outside of the Windows and OSX world, you can have ten systems running ten completely different operating systems and the user would think they're all the same - or the other way around.

False. Like the new Xbox 360 Dashboard/Home Menu, I dislike it immensely. That big-box-icon interface is fine for a mobile device, but a desktop? No thank you.

AceBandage: give me the original lherre post(s), please, if you can.
Also on my phone, sorry. The search feature is still not fully featured for mobile.

Thing is: Android is just a collection of software and libraries running on Linux, not really an "operating system" in itself. And Integrity, like Linux, has no graphical user interface, no user interface toolkits, no clipboard handling, no browser - nothing. Outside of the Windows and OSX world, you can have ten systems running ten completely different operating systems and the user would think they're all the same. Or the other way around.

I really do miss rocking the command line to do any and everything these days. And sadly most of the youth these days are such spoon fed Windows babies they never learned the command line (Unix/Dos or otherwise). I'm actually considering teaching another *nix class over the summer! :)

z0m3le

Banned
Thing is: Android is just a collection of software and libraries running on Linux, not really an "operating system" in itself. And Integrity, like Linux, has no graphical user interface, no user interface toolkits, no clipboard handling, no browser - nothing. Outside of the Windows and OSX world, you can have ten systems running ten completely different operating systems and the user would think they're all the same. Or the other way around.

Yeah, Android just won't be there, I could see Google making the browser for Wii U, or eventually having chrome as a download in the Wii U's ware channel, but I can't imagine Nintendo putting an OS on their box that has free emulators of their past systems, not to mention that Nintendo hasn't done anything like this in the past.

Besides out of all 3 companies, Nintendo's OS is probably the most functional interface, definitely enjoy the 3DS's, and Wii's was remarkably good 6 years ago, heck I personally think it inspired Windows 8.

I think that it was inclusive. That's just the way I see it.

I just pray that he meant RAM for games and not total RAM.

Hey. You can always count on nintendo to fuck at least one thing up. Developers most requested feature for the upcoming gen seems to be RAM, so it figures they'd cheap out. I hope not though. But ninty nailing everything just seems too good to be true.

tkscz

Thing is: Android is just a collection of software and libraries running on Linux, not really an "operating system" in itself. And Integrity, like Linux, has no graphical user interface, no user interface toolkits, no clipboard handling, no browser - nothing. Outside of the Windows and OSX world, you can have ten systems running ten completely different operating systems and the user would think they're all the same - or the other way around.

This is correct. Learned that from my Unix class. A lot of shit uses a custom Linux, except Apple, that's just Linux with a fruit slapped on it.

Can't imagine "smooth" browsing with anything other than capacitive.

TV shows the full website. uPad shows a zoomed in version. You can zoon in/out with the "L1/L2 Buttons, R1 and R2 does the same". Works for Left and Right handed people. Both Sliders move the zoomed in image around the website. Again, this would work for left and righthanders.

A red box on the TV shows wich section of the screen is displayed on the uPad

With the stylus you clock in links, etc...

So wheres your problem?

We've seen how that worked out for sony.

Haha, yeah.

But to be fair the PS3 was never totally open to any nerd to play with it on the metal. Sony actually wanted it to be too secure (imo), instead of just capitalizing on the idea of a open creative environment.

Mainly I just want to see some version of Dolphin be able to run on Wii U, and to not get banned from NiN for using it.

z0m3le

Banned
I really do miss rocking the command line to do any and everything these days. And sadly most of the youth these days are such spoon fed Windows babies they never learned the command line (Unix/Dos or otherwise). I'm actually considering teaching another *nix class over the summer! :)

LOL, Humanity always moves in this direction, soon enough we will all talk about how we miss keyboards and web browser address bars... Command line OSes still exist too, but of course we all use Windows/Linuxwgui/macos because it's faster, feels more intuitive, if you want to blame anyone for current GUIs blame the creator of the mouse. Don't know why I'm going on about this, just that comment sounded like a hipster.

Personally I am glad Wii U comes with a tablet though, it should take interfaces on home consoles to their logical conclusion.

wsippel

Banned
Yet even the shell is just an application running on top of the operating system, not part of the operating system itself. ;)

BurntPork

Banned
Hey. You can always count on nintendo to fuck at least one thing up. Developers most requested feature for the upcoming gen seems to be RAM, so it figures they'd cheap out. I hope not though. But ninty nailing everything just seems too good to be true.
Shut it. I don't even want to think of the disaster that would be Wii U only having a gig of RAM... Just let me dream. :(

Goodlife

I know what you're saying.
But for all intents and purposes what the end user sees and interacts with is the OS, doesn't really make much difference to what's sitting behind that.

z0m3le

Banned
Shut it. I don't even want to think of the disaster that would be Wii U only having a gig of RAM... Just let me dream. :(

Yeah, 2GB would definitely help it compete with the other consoles when they release, it obviously won't be superior in any specs, but with 2gb ram, it should be able to keep up with those systems, even if they push for 4gb or more (higher complex boards)

Haha, yeah.

But to be fair the PS3 was never totally open to any nerd to play with it on the metal. Sony actually wanted it to be too secure (imo), instead of just capitalizing on the idea of a open creative environment.

Mainly I just want to see some version of Dolphin be able to run on Wii U, and to not get banned from NiN for using it.

Then I can tell you with 1000% accuracy that this scenario will never happen. At least not officially.
Given how the 3DS is clamped down, and how the Wii and the DS were basically piracy heaven, losing them and 3rd parties a shitload of money, let alone ruined their efforts in online etc, we won't see an open WiiU. If anything, they'll open their rules to content providers, but not to the end user. The fact that they're actively planning to have SD Cards and USB HDDs is allready open standard enough for what I expected them to do.

BurntPork

Banned
^^^ Yep, that's it.

Well you better starting thinking. Anything is possible.
But only going tri-core and not a full gen leap could already be counted as where they drop the ball. Hell, third parties would feel that even 2GB is too little. Why do I have to believe that it'll be even worse? At that stage, I might as well believe that it'll be weaker than 360...

But only going tri-core and not a full gen leap could already be counted as where they drop the ball. Hell, third parties would feel that even 2GB is too little. Why do I have to believe that it'll be even worse? At that stage, I might as well believe that it'll be weaker than 360...

So it's definitely tri-core? And I definitely think that 2GB might be too little.

Believing Android on any Nintendo platform is smoking crack. Bad crack. That's some crazy joo joo nonsense. Like Nintendo would ever let an open platform anywhere near their own meticulously controlled environment.
Full android...hell no. Enough of a layer to make porting of android games trivial? That I could believe. Using that same layer to provide a framework to run their GUI. Maybe.

Yet even the shell is just an application running on top of the operating system, not part of the operating system itself. ;)

Very true, have you ever written your own Unix/Linux OS (distro/kernel/shell???), or a firewall or anything? I used to do nothing but pour through Cisco/Security/*nix/Windows/web security books and program syntax when I was indisposed shall we say in my youth, eventually I learned how to apply it and made it into a living.

I swear, I need to start trusting my hunches more. I said 349 from day 1, but as usual later started waffling on it...

I think that $299 to $350 has been the mostly universal consensus for what the price will turn out to be, though Walmart doesn't really have much to stand on here, as Nintendo doesn't set pricing nearly this early on their products, and even if they were set on a price, they would not have told it to their vendors as a concrete statement (aside from vagueries like "we're targeting the $XXX to $YYY general range of price points, subject to change").

I think that Nintendo might be wise to go back to their 1980's-style method of multiple skus for home console, especially if they're thinking about starting off with a negative profit margin on hardware. Having something like this could help them out:

Wii U Action Set - $299.99 with one pack-in title, probably something family-oriented
Wii U Deluxe Set - $399.99* with a somewhat grittier pack-in (or at least something that's less Mii-ish and more Internet-y), along with a Nintendo-branded external hard drive.

They should be able to get something resembling a profit margin on the Deluxe Set, assuming they use the time honoured industry tradition of using a really low capacity hard drive (500GB would seem a reasonable maximum here). Breakeven on the Action Set could mean perhaps $25 profit on the Deluxe Set. And there's still less loss of initial functionality here compared to, say, the stigma associated with the Xbox 360 Core model, as there is a decent amount of internal space to start with, easily-obtainable SD cards are still an option, and people dedicated to the hobby pretty much universally know how to plug in an external drive that they either (A) already own, or (B) can obtain easily at larger capacities for far less than the $100 price differential.

Their strategy for the last few generations have been one sku in order to reduce complexity for the consumee. However, nearly everything** in the electronic realm that typical consumers buy these days have multiple skus. Their phones, their tablets, other video game systems, television sets -- it's kind of seen as a normal thing nowadays, so jumping into this fray would likely not reduce the number of people willing to plunk down clam for the product.

* ugh, though I'm not a fan of the "Action Set" price, either
** this is hyperbole, but I was trying to nail in a point

"K Is For Kitty, M Is For Murder."

I've heard this oddly specific idea before… somewhere.

Then I can tell you with 1000% accuracy that this scenario will never happen. At least not officially.
Given how the 3DS is clamped down, and how the Wii and the DS were basically piracy heaven, losing them and 3rd parties a shitload of money, let alone ruined their efforts in online etc, we won't see an open WiiU. If anything, they'll open their rules to content providers, but not to the end user. The fact that they're actively planning to have SD Cards and USB HDDs is allready open standard enough for what I expected them to do.

I agree, but it would be nice to see eventually. After all there's no greater "piracy haven" than PC gaming, and we're still ranking in money. The piracy reasoning probably needs to go the way of the dodo, we as users gain very little from the anti-measures, and the companies themselves see ever decreasing workable measures against it. In the end it just makes sense to expect it to happen, don't burden paying customers, and profit from disruptive marketing/innovations at reasonable costs.

wsippel

Banned
I know what you're saying.
But for all intents and purposes what the end user sees and interacts with is the OS, doesn't really make much difference to what's sitting behind that.
Well, it's what people call the "OS" - even though it isn't. Not that it matters. Thing is that Android was designed for a class of devices Wii U isn't part of. For what Nintendo does, they could get away with bolting WebKit directly on top of Integrity and calling it a day.

darthdago

what was going on the last days anything new (about Wii U).

I only went through the last pages and saw some...ehh...urgh...conversation about brownies and how to make them...kind of...special....

...and then something about the android OS and now again there is the RAM talk back.

So do we have anything new about it?

I only read somewhere that Iwata wants to release detailed specs on E3 but not the price and that with the Wii U the company is aiming definately the core market first and later on at mass-market to not make the same misstake like with the Wii.

LOL, Humanity always moves in this direction, soon enough we will all talk about how we miss keyboards and web browser address bars... Command line OSes still exist too, but of course we all use Windows/Linuxwgui/macos because it's faster, feels more intuitive, if you want to blame anyone for current GUIs blame the creator of the mouse. Don't know why I'm going on about this, just that comment sounded like a hipster.

Personally I am glad Wii U comes with a tablet though, it should take interfaces on home consoles to their logical conclusion.

I wasn't blaming anyone or shunning any of the GUI innovations over the last decade. I'm actually very happy about how easy and intuitive it's become.

I was just waxing nostalgic is all. :p

Would be nice to give some information in why thats the case for you. Because i can´t come up with a valid reason.

For me the "extra effort" required to navigate around with a resistive touch screen is a valid reason enough.

I'm lazy though ;p

Edit: Of course I'm just talking from experience with only a couple of resistive devices , namely DSPhat, DSLite, 3DS and Samsung mobile phones.
Don't know if newer and/or more expensive devices are doing something more with their resistive screens.

1. Andoird is optimized for capacitive multitouch input (and so are games, apps, etc.)
Apparently you don't remember the early days of Android, which didn't even support multitouch (there was fear that Apple had all the multitouch patents and would sue them if they used it). It's definitely not "optimized" for multitouch and has plenty of support for doing everything with single-touch devices. And as I said, it wouldnt have access to any third party app store, just Nintendo's own app store. And if an app is written for Wii-U, it would have no need for multitouch, with all the controls on the unit.

BP, can you link me to his post regarding this please?

lherre also shared this, a pretty definitive statement about how much memory is in the Wii U
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37026671&postcount=5333

>_>

This is correct. Learned that from my Unix class. A lot of shit uses a custom Linux, except Apple, that's just Linux with a fruit slapped on it.

Apple is BSD (and Mach) with a fruit slapped on it, not Linux. To my knowledge, there is no Linux in any of Apple's product lines whatsoever, probably largely due to the license to which it is bound.

what was going on the last days anything new (about Wii U).

I only went through the last pages and saw some...ehh...urgh...conversation about brownies and how to make them...kind of...special....

...and then something about the android OS and now again there is the RAM talk back.

So do we have anything new about it?

I only read somewhere that Iwata wants to release detailed specs on E3 but not the price and that with the Wii U the company is aiming definately the core market first and later on at mass-market to not make the same misstake like with the Wii.

#17042: Nintendo has confirmed to IGN that it plans to support both third and first party content for its new digital initiative.

#17287: yet another U/Android rumour

#17303: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120427qa/index.html ← English version of Investor Q&A uploaded

#17410: further Röstinfo on the Wii U trademark issue, regarding a possibility for amicable mediation by June

#17417: interview from Akaoni studios: "I talked with developers in Japan that are already working with it, and everyone says it's full of surprises that will surprise people much more than what at first seems."

#17186: Walmart google advert lists $349 for Wii U

#17468: Iwata goes into further details on Nintendo's shift back in the direction of "those who play games as their hobby".

#17615: Nintendo Presentation @ E3 2012 ; Tuesday, June 5, 2012 ; 9am

#17831: Trent Oster interview, much less inciteful and much more insightful than his slightly infamous twitter remarks

Azure J

Why are we backpedaling to "lol Wii U has no games RAM" again? Wasn't it fairly recently that we got a strong hint at the system having greater than 1GB definitively with 2GB being a strong possibility thanks to IdeaMan's note on the system having something like 512MB portioned off for OS stuff?

You guys are so wishy washy. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom