• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAPitts

Believing Android on any Nintendo platform is smoking crack. Bad crack. That's some crazy joo joo nonsense. Like Nintendo would ever let an open platform anywhere near their own meticulously controlled environment.

lol wow, based off of this statement, who's making the bad decision here? Nintendo or Google? I'M SO CONFUSED...

Goodlife

Again: That's what multivisors are for. Not that I'd expect Nintendo to use Android, but not because it's insecure. They won't use it because it's useless.

Even if none of the apps currently on Android work on the WiiU, at least there will be easy development tools and a established way for developers to get their stuff out on the WiiU. Would be a lot easier, I'd imagine for any who wanted to tweak their apps a bit to run on the WiiU, using the same tools and methods they know, rather than them start from scratch on new tools and have to go through N's new processes to get the stuff out.

If he isn't back in time, the NeoGAF Nintendo conference thread will be cancelled.
my ban [for piracy related stuff lol] was for 2 or 3 weeks, so I guess he will be back

Even if none of the apps currently on Android work on the WiiU, at least there will be easy development tools and a established way for developers to get their stuff out on the WiiU. Would be a lot easier, I'd imagine for any who wanted to tweak their apps a bit to run on the WiiU, using the same tools and methods they know, rather than them start from scratch on new tools and have to go through N's new processes to get the stuff out.
you think the company that made N64 difficult to program for purposefully, would do something like this over all their other guidelines?

Again: That's what multivisors are for. Not that I'd expect Nintendo to use Android, but not because it's insecure. They won't use it because it's useless.
Having a highly polished touchscreen OS that millions of people already like to use without having to spend millions of dollars developing, that's useless? And getting an easy development environment for Indy apps so they can quickly fill out their own highly controlled app store, that's useless?

Believing Android on any Nintendo platform is smoking crack. Bad crack. That's some crazy joo joo nonsense. Like Nintendo would ever let an open platform anywhere near their own meticulously controlled environment.
Even MS level "control everything that happens" internet is too uncontrolled for them.

Having a highly polished touchscreen OS that millions of people already like to use without having to spend millions of dollars developing, that's useless? And getting an easy development environment for Indy apps so they can quickly fill out their own highly controlled app store, that's useless?
1. Andoird is optimized for capacitive multitouch input (and so are games, apps, etc.)
2. It used its own hardware
3. it'll be very insecure, pose bugs issues, etc.
4. Currently it has very few games; I guess even eShop on 3DS will be better than it pretty soon

wsippel

Banned
Yes. Completely useless. Wii U is neither a smartphone nor a tablet.

zbeeb

1. Andoird is optimized for capacitive multitouch input (and so are games, apps, etc.)
2. It used its own hardware
3. it'll be very insecure, pose bugs issues, etc.
4. Currently it has very few games; I guess even eShop on 3DS will be better than it pretty soon

bit off topic, but no.

Bumhead

Banned
Yes. Completely useless. Wii U is neither a smartphone nor a tablet.

I'm only speaking personally here, but if Nintendo allowed you to use the Wii U tablet to web browse, check email/messages and use a small selection of "everyday" apps, and it did those things competently, then that would replace the need for a seperate tablet to me, personally.

Nobody is saying the Wii U is going to kick the iPad out of its place but to just not even bother with apps for the tablet would be shortsighted, IMO.

Man, the Android rumour just won't go away.

Anyways, I have a great idea for a game that would be a fantastic showpiece for the U-Pad's screen and streaming capabilities. The title borrows from Sue Grafton's mystery novels and the concept is loosely based on the old Meow Mix commercials from the 90s where the cat kept calling his owner on the phone and bugging him. It's called:

"K Is For Kitty, M Is For Murder."

In the game you play a hardened detective named Vince Chamborino who is investigating a series of gruesome murders. Early on you discover the terrible truth. The murders are being committed by a sociopathic, intelligent talking cat named Scruffle Face. It's a mixture of 3rd person action and shooting on the TV and puzzle solving on the UPad screen.

Anyways, Scruffle Face keeps kidnapping people and each mission is timed so you have to rescue them within the limit. If you don't, the system will stream a video message from Scruffle Face to your UPad taunting you that you failed, "Hahaha Meow, meow You're PATHETIC, Chamborino! Meow, they all died because of YOU, meow."

Leave the system in sleep mode and if you have your U-Pad by your bed, Scruffle Face will up the ante by using the controller to wake you up loudly at some random point during the night to announce his latest kidnapping/killing. "Meow, meow wake up, you fat slob! I have more hostages!!! Hahaha, MEOW!" So much for peacefully drifting off to sleep after playing a VC game on the controller, this game is intense. You'll be frantically jumping out of bed and racing to your living room to boot up your system in another possibly vain attempt to save the hostages.

Also, you have to frequently de-stress Detective Chamborino and convince him not to kill himself due to all the pressure from these cases and also make him feel better about himself since all his colleagues on the force won't believe him and keep making fun of him for chasing after a talking cat.

I think this is a really fun idea.

joshwaan

I was just thinking of something quite funny and wicked in my head.

Prediction of this years E3. Reggie gets on stage first this year and delivers the following

We come to you live from Los Angeles to drop the Mother fucking bomb I hope your body is ready for this shit cause mine is!

Here's the Wii................ had U with last years not so great E3 muhahah!!!!

Here's the NINTENDO ULTRA REVOLUTION!!!!!

Reel comes up shows Mario,Zelda,GTA,Pilot Wings, Metriod, F-zero, Wave race, Yoshi's Island, Conkers Bad Wii Day, After 25 minutes of mind blowing video reel Reggie comes back on stage proceeds with launching this year All games will be there at launch.

“ We are returning to our greatness and given you the gamers what ya want “

Oh lastly here's the Game Boy II peace out!!

Goodlife

I'm only speaking personally here, but if Nintendo allowed you to use the Wii U tablet to web browse, check email/messages and use a small selection of "everyday" apps, and it did those things competently, then that would replace the need for a seperate tablet to me, personally.

Nobody is saying the Wii U is going to kick the iPad out of its place but to just not even bother with apps for the tablet would be shortsighted, IMO.

Yep, this.
What's the specs on the new ipad, do we know?

VAPitts

Prediction of this years E3. Reggie gets on stage first this year and delivers the following

We come to you live from Los Angeles to drop the Mother fucking bomb I hope your body is ready for this shit cause mine is!

Here's the Wii................ had U with last years not so great E3 muhahah!!!!

Reel comes up shows Mario,Zelda,GTA,Pilot Wings, Metriod, F-zero, Wave race, Yoshi's Island, Conkers Bad Wii Day, After 25 minutes of mind blowing video reel Reggie comes back on stage proceeds with launching this year All games will be there at launch.

what in god's name are u talking about?

No I want my 3DS!

z0m3le

Banned

To be perfectly honest, I think the Wii U as a tablet would be frighteningly good... I mean the specs of the Wii U, whatever they are, should be snappy and produce graphics that outstrip the ipad for the entire generation, even just looking at memory performance of portable devices, it will be a long time before they can really catch up...

Having a browser that is comparable today to what the Wii's was on release would be fine, the interface would be far superior, and youtube should obviously be there, netflix is also confirmed... game wise, I imagine angry birds and more popular apps will have no trouble making it over, and if Nintendo puts some of their mini games on there... it's going to be pretty amazing... This is all just added on to also being an amazing console, I can see the system having a tablet being a major selling point... that is really all I am saying.

I don't think android will be on it though, the main reason being that Nintendo would really gain nothing from it, Nintendo has the ability to put games on their system, which is really what Android would do in the end, but with far inferior quality... apps from google's play store would literally be useless, though I think google will likely push a few apps on the system anyways, I could see them bringing over their ebook service, though Kindle will likely be first, amazon will probably try to bring over other services too, since their focus has been software lately.

Wii U does have a tablet, to say otherwise is certainly wrong. I doubt someone could name one useful feature that any android/ipad tablet would have that Wii U's controller could not do.

Conor 419

Banned

Hasn't the entire rhetoric of Nintendo's Wii U strategy been 'we're going to be more open than our competitors?'

Or maybe that's only relative to the online.

Jackano

Hasn't the entire rhetoric of Nintendo's Wii U strategy been 'we're going to be more open than our competitors?'

Or maybe that's only relative to the online.

No, they just said they will be listening to third party demands and advices regarding the hardware and online capabilities.

joshwaan

I'm preying the rumors are correct and we end up with 2GB memory for the Wii U. I hoping the Wii U get's a port of GTA 5, I just hope the dev's don't get lazy would love to see them take advantage of the Wii U's extra memory access.

I cannot wait to see the games in action at E3, I hope they really blow us away and give me that N64 feeling I had back in 1996 playing Mario and Pilot Wings :)

z0m3le

Banned
Seems like folks are dropping like flies in these threads.
Soon it shall just be BurntPork and Ace.

Yeah, I haven't been posting a lot since the PS4 rumors and the Wii U tablet resolution being too low, lol got a bit heated in those threads and I want to be here for my first Neogaf E3 as a member.

So if it's just burntpork and ace, I'll be here, just stalking the thread in the background.

wsippel

Banned

That's probably a given, but I don't know what any of that has to do with Android, how it would require Android, or why it would be better with Android.

Here's the problem I have with the Android rumor:

Isn't the Wii U effectively a closed-box PC?

Why use a mobile-centric OS in a PC? That's like installing Windows Phone 7 series or iOS on your desktop. Does it even have the resources necessary to handle high-end graphics cards?

How did that work out for Wii softmodding? :p Of all three next gen consoles I see the Wii U being less concerned about potential piracy holes.

I see what you're getting at in context of Android OS/apps, but I think policy-wise and logistically speaking Nintendo would do well long term to be a bit more open in these regards.

To be perfectly honest, I think the Wii U as a tablet would be frighteningly good... I mean the specs of the Wii U, whatever they are, should be snappy and produce graphics that outstrip the ipad for the entire generation, even just looking at memory performance of portable devices, it will be a long time before they can really catch up...

Having a browser that is comparable today to what the Wii's was on release would be fine, the interface would be far superior, and youtube should obviously be there, netflix is also confirmed... game wise, I imagine angry birds and more popular apps will have no trouble making it over, and if Nintendo puts some of their mini games on there... it's going to be pretty amazing... This is all just added on to also being an amazing console, I can see the system having a tablet being a major selling point... that is really all I am saying.

It doesn't matter how powerful the console is when you have a resistive touch screen.

Can't imagine "smooth" browsing with anything other than capacitive.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Here's the problem I have with the Android rumor:

Isn't the Wii U effectively a closed-box PC?

Why use a mobile-centric OS in a PC? That's like installing Windows Phone 7 series or iOS on your desktop. Does it even have the resources necessary to handle high-end graphics cards?

The OS has very little to do with what a system can do graphically :p. But yeah Android won't be in the WiiU.

I seem to remember reading Google and Nintendo or Nintendo and some other company were working together creating an open source OS though. Wonder what came out of that.

It doesn't matter how powerful the console is when you have a resistive touch screen.

In terms of comparing the potential of the Upad to other popular features/services/INET on 360/PS3, it beats the hell out of a traditional controller. In that way for a home console the Wii U controller will be a revelation. Single touch will work just fine for these things.

In terms of comparing the potential of the Upad to other popular features/services/INET on 360/PS3, it beats the hell out of a traditional controller. In that way for a home console the Wii U controller will be a revelation. Single touch will work just fine for these things.

Agreed but he was "comparing" it with the IPAD/other tablets, in regards to web browsing.

I'm not so sure the WiiU will replace my -shitty- Archos70IT for sofa browsing.

BurntPork

Banned
Seems like folks are dropping like flies in these threads.
Soon it shall just be BurntPork and Ace.
My next ban is perma, though. :(
I'm preying the rumors are correct and we end up with 2GB memory for the Wii U. I hoping the Wii U get's a port of GTA 5, I just hope the dev's don't get lazy would love to see them take advantage of the Wii U's extra memory access.

I cannot wait to see the games in action at E3, I hope they really blow us away and give me that N64 feeling I had back in 1996 playing Mario and Pilot Wings :)
lherre basically confirmed that it's not 2GB.

z0m3le

Banned
taking a wild guess does OS mean Operating system maybe :p

On a Nintendo console, it will be a Nintendo OS, that I am as sure of as that it will get a mario game sometime in it's life... doesn't mean there won't be an android emulator (would be dead simple to do, since mobile specs are horribly low) but there is absolutely no reason Nintendo should do this, Nintendo doesn't make money from android apps, and even if they did, most android downloads are free... and are MOBILE apps, Nintendo should be able to fill up the games side of it super easily, I mean all they need to match android's game library is some mini games from past games, throw on some SNES/GBA games and heck get revio and some other mobile success stories on there, and they should be golden.

Android offers Nintendo nothing, especially since the tablet is tethered (wirelessly) to the console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom