• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch worldwide sales top 10 million

sublimit

Banned
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Despite launching in March, a month not usually reserved for home console launches, and with the busy holiday shopping season still in full swing, the Nintendo Switch system has already sold 10 million units to consumers around the world, according to Nintendo's internal sales figures.

”As you can see in people's living rooms, on a plane or riding the subway, fans all over the world can enjoy playing Nintendo Switch wherever they go," said Nintendo of America President and COO Reggie Fils-Aime. ”The response from fans has been great, and we're doing our very best to satisfy demand during the holiday shopping season."

After a record-breaking 2017, Nintendo Switch will continue its momentum in 2018. The system will see the launch of Nintendo-published games like Kirby Star Allies, Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 and a new game in the beloved Yoshi franchise, in addition to big third-party games like Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus from Bethesda, Mega Man 11 from Capcom, PROJECT OCTOPATH TRAVELER (working title) from Square Enix, Shovel Knight: King of Cards from Yacht Club Games and Runner3 from Choice Provisions.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171212005456/en/

Well not bad for a mere 9 months that is out. :p I will add one more unit to their numbers next year.

Very impressive that Nintendo has been able to turn it around so quickly after Wii U.

I can say it's been a great consoles to me. So many quality games in such a short timespan.

RootCause

So close to the wiiu lifetime sales in just 9 months.
Things are looking great for the switch. Nintendo, please don't ever go back to the old way of making consoles. I need my hybrid.

Pan0u

That's nearly one-third of total Xbox One sales, which was released in 2013. Quite impressive. Really happy to see Nintendo in the race again.

Sapiens

It’s going to be really hard for Nintendo to ever top this year ( it is simply their best ever ), but here is hoping that they have plenty of surprises for next year.

While the Mario and Zelda fields lie follow, I do hope Nintendo takes advantage of their renews success and we get more risks.

Optimistic that 2018 will be another killer year. I fully expect things like Smash for Switch, but I can’t wait to see what else they unleash.

Well deserved success.

JP

Good sales.

I think the negativity of the Wii U was probably a good think in the long run as it likely contributed to having both Mario and Zelda there so early. I mean, Zelda is very much a Wii U game and I wouldn't be surprised if work on Mario was already in progress for the Wii U before the console was cancelled.

It'll be interesting to see if they can still capitalise on that during 2018.

Sojiro

Awesome to see after the shortcomings of the Wii U, and very well deserved. Crazy that this is about to pass Wii U lifetime sales already.

Aztorian

13.5million.

Glad to see the Switch catching up then. I love the concept and would like to see many more first party and third party games on this. The Wii U had shit third party support, but despite the sales the first party games were still being rolled out, so it must look better in every perspective for Switch, right?

I believe we should look at the 3ds for the comparisons, and I think that the Switch is doing really well despite the higher price!

3DS was the main Nintendo platform of the last years, Switch will be their main platform (and only maybe) for the near future.

It's a really awesome concept that they executed perfectly. The library looks fantastic as well. It's been just a great year for the industry.

xandaca

PS4 sold 10M in just under 9 months so it’s close to what PS4 was which is impressive.

The PS4's nine-month sales must've been higher than that, unless its sales more than doubled over the three months that followed, to 18.5m (source). Anyway, seems the Switch is off to a good start, seems likely to hit the Wii U's final numbers by the end of its first year. I don't own a Switch yet (waiting for prices to come down and more details to be revealed about how the online is going to work) but even if Nintendo aren't strangers to shady business practices of their own, it's good to have a healthy participant in the console game who isn't solely focused on the graphical arms race. Fingers crossed they can keep the games coming.

goldenpp72

Before the switch launched I stated that it would outsell the Wii U before E3 2018 and was laughed at, feeling pretty confident right now :p

Jaruru

very impressive. Mario and Zelda in the first year really helps. Along with Mario Kart etc.
I hope they have a great line up for 2018 as well though

pervasive

Neo Member
Upon hearing the info that Nintendo was making the Switch, I knew that they were gonna sell a lot of units, never thought they would reach 10 million in 9 months though. I thought they would reach around 7-8 million. Good on ya Nintendo!

rockyt

PS4 sold 10M in just under 9 months so it’s close to what PS4 was which is impressive.

The thing that's really uumpressive is that the switch reached those number even though launching in March. The PS4 launched around the holidays so it's really comparable. If the switch launched around the holidays than it would be comparable.

JP

The thing that's really uumpressive is that the switch reached those number even though launching in March. The PS4 launched around the holidays so it's really comparable. If the switch launched around the holidays than it would be comparable.
I think that oversimplifies it somewhat, it's worth remembering that although it launched closer to the Christmas rush, the Xbox One also launched at the same time as the PS4 so there was competition there that the lower priced Switch avoided.

I think it's worth recognising that all three of the consoles have sold really well and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that all three have sol over their initial expectations since launch, which benefits us all.

LordRaptor

I mean, if Nintendo can supply them, doing 3 million in December could be entirely possible with 1 million apiece NA / JP / EMEA

Well deserved, I've had mine since launch and spent a wallet-busting $1200 (CAD) at "Switchmas" last year. Ended up with extra joy-con's, a pro controller, BotW Master Edition and Bomberman. My only regret might be 1-2 Switch haha. Love that things are going so well for the big N.

Kid Ying

If i remember right, the wiiu was at almost half of it on the same timeframe, and most of it's sales was on it's launch, where it sold 3,65 million (and moved almost nothing else for quite some time).

Switch really improved a lot over wiiu

RaptorGTA

Between the tech of the console and the first year line up Nintendo is on a roll. No reason the Switch wont surpass the WiiU by March. Curious to see how they follow up year two of the Switch.

Unknown?

Right it’s not entirely compatible of course. PS4 launched $100 more and didn’t even launch in Japan till 4 months after and Switch did have half of a Holiday in this 9 month period. Both are just as impressive imo. I expect 15M by year 1.

DonF

Good console, and great exclusive games. The fact that it can go mobile its just the cherry on top. Hope they keep this "steady" supply of great games.

Top Bottom