• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rest of the PS Exclusive Destiny Content coming to Xbox in October

RPGamer92

Banned
Not only are you wrong, but as I said above. Tomb Raider 2, for example, was moneyhatting by Sony on the original PS1. Even though Sega gamers experienced the first title (memory is getting a little foggy here can someone else elaborate?).

People saying Microsoft started this are laughable when Sony has been doing it much worse and much longer.

And Rise of the Tomb Raider was just hunky dory am i rite?

Oersted

While I appreciate whataboutisms as "defense" as much as the next one, I do think there is a difference between a single player game coming later and a online multiplayer game getting full content when the successor releases.

Most of these situations are way more about "i can play with my friends on PS4" than "i can get this weapon and this raid on PS4"

And the first situation wouldn't be any less enticing without the timed content

Well, duh. I'd also imagine that if little Timmy only has an Xbox he's not going to beg his parents for a PS4 just because Destiny has more content there.

There are millions of people out there who are multi console owners, along with their friends. I said that exclusive content works, I didn't say that it was the be-all-end-all.

jett

D-Member
That's hilarious.

Crazy that the Taken King shit was exclusive for two years. Sony must be paying some big bucks.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
This stuff just devalues the game for everyone. There's nothing gained by these restrictions. The fact they only managed to release them to other players after they've stopped supporting the game is so bad. This stuff really is one of the reasons I'm so cold on Destiny 2

J_Viper

So you're gonna give up an uncapped framerate and 4K support because of a little extra content? The PC version is by far the best version after playing it at 60fps at E3.

I know it's silly, but yeah, it'd bother the hell out of me to be missing "stuff"

Plus, I can't get into kb+m, so I'd get demolished in the Crucible on PC like I do every other PC competitive shooter

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
So just in time for it to be irrelevant? Hahahaha. Sony, Bungie and Activision can all go jump off a fucking cliff together.

I hope Anthem eats D2's lunch, it looks more interesting.

Venom.

I haven't played The Taken King but is this stuff superficial items? If not actual levels, quests or stories maybe it wasn't that important to non-completionists. Not nice for Xbox owners but the length of the exclusivity window will reaffirm PS4 owners decision to play on PlayStation. Come Christmas Microsoft will be boasting about how Destiny 2 plays best on XBO X and Sony will be boasting how Destiny 2 is best on PS4. Both are companies trying to win consumer money.

Nydius

I hate these threads because they always end up turning into a debate about who started what first and who's worse at it. (Yet, like car wrecks, I always end up watching.)

The reality is, none of that matters. What does matter is that this kind of bullshit hurts ALL gamers regardless of platform. Someone buying a multiplatform game should get all of the same content as every other platform. I was an Xbox 360 primary player when Microsoft did it and I didn't like it then; I'm a PS4 primary player now when Sony does it and I still don't like it.

Companies win and gamers - no, consumers - lose, especially as we bicker among ourselves and use this for "console war" nonsense.

Head.spawn

Gonna be very interesting reading the same people's reactions if it does...

Is there something I've missed that is giving you guys some indication that MS would do a deal holds random content away from the other consoles for 1-2 years on top of other content that is exclusive as well?

Some exclusive content doesn't sound ridiculous, it's the other content people people are having to wait until the release of the sequel to get.

I haven't played The Taken King but is this stuff superficial items? If not actual levels, quests or stories maybe it wasn't that important to non-completionists. Not nice for Xbox owners but the length of the exclusivity window will reaffirm PS4 owners decision to play on PlayStation. Come Christmas Microsoft will be boasting about how Destiny 2 plays best on XBO X and Sony will be boasting how Destiny 2 is best on PS4. Both are companies trying to win consumer money.
No it was actual PVP maps and Strikes along with gear that was quickly dismantled. I believe all the Strikes are available. Some weapons and maps are locked away.

So just in time for it to be irrelevant? Hahahaha. Sony, Bungie and Activision can all go jump off a fucking cliff together.

I hope Anthem eats D2's lunch, it looks more interesting.
I'm sure these can coexist but we don't know very much of Anthem to really get a feel for how it will play or its progression system, especially at higher levels. In my opinion it looked just a generic as Destiny.

theBmZ

At this point, who gives a fuck? Destiny 2 is just around the corner. Any regular player will be jumping to that game. This exclusive shit is stupid.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Except until its announced, it isn't getting timed exclusive DLC. I'd wager that would have been announced at E3 if it was the case.

Phil Spencer even confirmed as much -- that Anthem, among the other games with current marketing deals, will not have exclusive content.

Next time you hit that post button you should stop and question yourself, because you clearly fail at whataboutisms.

RotTR was a timed exclusive (which means, guess what, it released elsewhere after a while) and it was also published worldwide by Microsoft.

Tomb Raider 2 was a sequel to a game that was on multiple consoles, suddenly exclusive for no reason whatsoever, and for life. IIRC so was the sequel, and then eventually the IP became associated withe Sony. This situation is infinitely worse, and only benefitted Sony.

To compare the two gives away alot about yourself.

Tecnniqe

Banned
At this point, who gives a fuck? Destiny 2 is just around the corner. Any regular player will be jumping to that game. This exclusive shit is stupid.
I mean it might as well be a year exclusive turned into permanent one because the vast majority won't get to play it since the sequel is well out.

broony

Sony pays Activision to create more content and make it only available on Sony consoles. Sony pays more to make it exclusive for much longer than normal exclusivity deals. Activision accepts and orders Bungie to create this content.

Sony and Activision are responsible.

Fredrik

I hate this timed dlc exclusive method. It sucked for PS3 owners last generation and it sucks for XB1 users this one. Someone is always getting screwed and it's obviously not like everyone can own every system. I'm one of the few people that does own each system and it still frustrates me.
Yeah, the worst part is that it may also force those with all platforms to buy an inferior version if the exclusivity sits on a weaker platform. Everybody loses. Exclusivity deals are seriously the cancer of gaming today.
Vote with your wallets people!

Bold One

csLBQ9Z.gif

Daffy Duck

I thought I was served enough Bullshit from Activision with Call of Duty, but it seems like they treat Destiny players even worse.

I was really hyped to jump on board with Destiny 2, I picked up Destiny The Collection at around the launch reveal of D2 to get into the game, but now I give them enough money in CoD and they won't be getting my money for Destiny 2 I am afraid.

Also as someone who doesn't have hours to grind away it seems like I'm not the player they want anyway.

Sony

Nintendo
While I appreciate whataboutisms as "defense" as much as the next one, I do think there is a difference between a single player game coming later and a online multiplayer game getting full content when the successor releases.

Added, both Microsoft and SE were grilled by the community to clarify the exclusivety period. Relatively short after announcing RoTR, they had to clarify it's for 1 year.

JayDub

This shit is insulting from Bungie to their loyal fan base. Many of which purchased Destiny from the good will they earned from the Halo series. Sucks that Sony would do a deal like this.

Worse MS did was one year exclusivity for Tomb Raider, right? Not sure.

I bought Destiny. Won't be buying Destiny 2 because of this crap. Hope other Xbox owners do the same.

Ashler

Holy shit. I'm a PS4 destiny player and feel disgusted by this.
Between this and the Trials/IB removal from D1 announcement, I'm seriously considering not buying Destiny 2 at all.

Microsoft fans and Sony fans and gamers in general: You all have to realize that the main topic of this discussion shouldn't be who has been a bigger dick to consumers over the years. They have both been huge dicks to consumers at one time or another. What is worthy of discussion is how these two companies continue to escalate their anti-consumer practices as one's action provokes the other's even worse reaction. It doesn't matter if at this point in time you are on the side that isn't hurt by these practices or not. Sooner or later you will be and that's why gamers should be united against them.

This is not healthy competition. Paying money to withhold third-party content from other platforms doesn't benefit anyone. These deals are put in place to force you to make a purchasing decision based not on factors like the quality of the product or the service provided but on the fear that you will be arbitrarily locked out of some amount of content. Without the deal being in place everyone would have received it, so even if you own the 'right' platform you haven't actually gained anything.

When a console maker produces original content, that's proper competition. By buying into that platform you are gaining access to something that wouldn't have been created otherwise. When a console maker introduces a new feature or changes its policies to be more consumer-friendly, that's proper competition. These moneyhats, whichever side they come from, are little more than withholding content at ransom and no one should support them.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
There is another way to look at this, and I'm not necessarily saying this is what has happened here:

Where would people stand if a game developer/publisher had no intention of blocking any content, but a platform holder asked them if they'd be willing to make some stuff specifically for their customers, entirely on their dime, and they agreed?

Pay to create, rather than pay to block.

The fact that this stuff has come to Xbox eventually suggests that this wasn't the case here, but the above is a situation I'd not particularly object to, so long as they were explicit about it.

Fredrik

Microsoft fans and Sony fans and gamers in general: You all have to realize that the main topic of this discussion shouldn't be who has been a bigger dick to consumers over the years. They have both been huge dicks to consumers at one time or another. What is worthy of discussion is how these two companies continue to escalate their anti-consumer practices as one's action provokes the other's even worse reaction. It doesn't matter if at this point in time you are on the side that isn't hurt by these practices or not. Sooner or later you will be and that's why gamers should be united against them.

This is not healthy competition. Paying money to withhold third-party content from other platforms doesn't benefit anyone. These deals are put in place to force you to make a purchasing decision based not on factors like the quality of the product or the service provided but on the fear that you will be arbitrarily locked out of some amount of content. Without the deal being in place everyone would have received it, so even if you own the 'right' platform you haven't actually gained anything.

When a console maker produces original content, that's proper competition. By buying into that platform you are gaining access to something that wouldn't have been created otherwise. When a console maker introduces a new feature or changes its policies to be more consumer-friendly, that's proper competition. These moneyhats, whichever side they come from, are little more than withholding content at ransom and no one should support them.
Great post.
Sony is on a roll with this nonsense right now but next time it could be PS owners who's getting screwed. Everybody needs to speak up against this whenever possible.

Unfortunately it's not likely to go away though, look at retail dlc exclusives, tv show exclusivity, etc. It's here to stay. Not sure when it all started but the battle has already been lost. I'll keep going with the definitive edition regarding performance rather than content no matter what.

Spades

Such a dick move. Would it have killed anyone involved to have made these available on Xbox a week or two before D2 launches, at least?

Caayn

Why do people care so much about who started this practice? What difference does it make? The content won't suddenly become available to everyone by knowing/agreeing who started it. It won't undo previous anti-consumer moves.

The fact is that content is withheld from paying costumers just because the system they play it on has the wrong logo on the front. This isn't a practice where we should muddy the waters by deflecting and arguing in favor of the companies who partake in this practice. Not a single consumer benefits from this, not a single one.

Venom.

Microsoft fans and Sony fans and gamers in general: You all have to realize that the main topic of this discussion shouldn't be who has been a bigger dick to consumers over the years. They have both been huge dicks to consumers at one time or another.

Pub-fight poetry, brilliant! :)

Zemm

Every single piece of news about Destiny or Destiny 2 is bad or just makes Bungie look bad. I guess they don't care because people still buy the games but it's really off putting how greedy or just incompetent they are.

Everyone should be able to enjoy the Jade Rabbit. The timing is awful, D2 is early September. And by then, PC/Xbox users will be locked out of more exclusive stuff..

As a PS4 owner and member of the fenomenal Destiny community, I don't like this one bit.

Top Bottom