• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rest of the PS Exclusive Destiny Content coming to Xbox in October

Mafro

Every single piece of news about Destiny or Destiny 2 is bad or just makes Bungie look bad. I guess they don't care because people still buy the games but it's really off putting how greedy or just incompetent they are.
I don't think I've ever known the developer of such a big game that has pissed off their fanbase as much as Bungie has for the past few years. Every time someone from there opens their mouth it doesn't seem to end well.

everyer

Phil has already stated he doesn't want to do deals that involve locking out exclusive content to other platforms. So Anthem, Shadow of War etc won't have exclusive shit, just co marketing.

He'd better say something for TombRaider.

A whole game for time exclusive deal.

Disgusting

pitchfork

Completely done with Bungie and Destiny myself. Decision was made a while ago though

I sincerely despise them and Activision with a fucking passion after all this bullshit

Thankfully (imo) Destiny 2 looks pretty 'meh' anyway for a sequel and more of the same, so cant be too salty. A real kick in the stones for everyone else though

As far as whether Microsoft was the white knight that kept Tomb Raider going, Gallagher thinks that the franchise would have always found a way. In other words, no the exclusivity deal wasn’t what kept the series going.

https://gamerant.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-microsoft-exclusive-publish/

The interviewer went on to ask Gallagher if he thought that Crystal Dynamics' partnership with Microsoft was so deep that Rise of the Tomb Raider could not exist without it. Gallagher said he doesn't think that's the case.

"I wouldn't say that," he said. "If you look at Tomb Raider, it's been around for 20 years, so I do think that Tomb Raider would still be around [without Microsoft]."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-dev-talks-xbox-exclusivity/1100-6425471

Zemm

Everything about this game series rubs me up the wrong way.

It feels like a series that wasn't concieved out of a passion to make something great, more just to make something that will bring in a lot of money. Obviously a lot of series are like this but this one has no subtlety about it.

nOoblet16

I play on PS4 and I don't like exclusive content because:

1) It means the maps will never be on trials and the Strikes will never be on Nightfalls unless they come to Xbox.

2) It also means Xur will never sell the exclusive weapons, but it doesn't matter much when the exclusive weapons are tied to quests instead. That way it's fine.

When Bungie's deal with Activision expires they'll have another "Independence Day" party.

By that time the Xbox community will probably be like

fuck_off_dinklage.gif

I bought Destiny but got bored after doing the same type of missions over and over again, only reached level 20 and already burned out by it. Hope for all those buying D2 that it will be much better, ill pass on this one.

That's talking about the Tomb Raider series as a whole though. Would we still have gotten Rise of The Tomb Raider in 2016? Of course there was eventually gonna be another Tomb Raider game. It's one of the most popular video game IPs in the world.

Even still. I see a whole game as less of a problem than exclusive DLC. In the case of DLC both consumers are paying the same price, but one is getting a demonstratively lesser experience. When Rise of the Tomb Raider came to other platforms it came complete. Actually it came with even more content. Platform holders are always gonna have exclusive games. It's the main differing point between platforms. A lot of those games wouldn't be created if it wasn't for exclusive publishing deals.

That's definitely not the case with Destiny 2.

That's talking about the Tomb Raider series as a whole though. Would we still have gotten Rise of The Tomb Raider in 2016? Of course there was eventually gonna be another Tomb Raider game. It's one of the most popular video game IPs in the world.

Even still. I see a whole game as less of a problem than exclusive DLC. In the case of DLC both consumers are paying the same price, but one is getting a demonstratively lesser experience. When Rise of the Tomb Raider came to other platforms it came complete. Actually it came with even more content. Platform holders are always gonna have exclusive games. It's the main differing point between platforms. A lot of those games wouldn't be created if it wasn't for exclusive publishing deals.

That's definitely not the case with Destiny 2.

Second quote I posted is clearly talking about Rise Of The Tomb Raider. I think all this exclusive stuff is bad, but I would rather wait a year for a few pieces of content than an entire game. People saying otherwise are fooling themselves. If the entire Destiny 2 game was exclusive to PS4 for a year people would be losing their minds.

Yeah...an exclusivity deal with Sony instead.

That is one way to twist it. I wonder how they are managing to fund this third game with no money hat then if the series is such bad shape. Rise sold worse then reboot. Might as well shut the IP down...

EmiPrime

It feels like a series that wasn't concieved out of a passion to make something great, more just to make something that will bring in a lot of money. Obviously a lot of series are like this but this one has no subtlety about it.

Yep, it's borderline sleazy.

oldergamer

He responded to that on twitter when someone brought it up something along the lines of "That's called us publishing a game" or something, was a while ago and I can't find the tweet any more though

Edit: https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/812015845358473216

I said it before, there's a difference between:

1. paying for an exclusive game on a platform ( be it timed or permanent )
2. paying to make competing consoles versions of the game to have less content

The two aren't the same IMO. Could you image a RPG where say, Sony pays for content exclusivity and they ship the game on other platforms with a shorter story? How is that fair to the gamers when that content could easily exist for all platforms?

I hate this timed dlc exclusive method. It sucked for PS3 owners last generation and it sucks for XB1 users this one. Someone is always getting screwed and it's obviously not like everyone can own every system. I'm one of the few people that does own each system and it still frustrates me.

Stuff like this always rubs me the wrong way regardless of my console or side of preference. I don't have an Xbox and this still annoys me. I just think it's a really lame look.

I said it before, there's a difference between:

1. paying for an exclusive game on a platform ( be it timed or permanent )
2. paying to make competing consoles versions of the game to have less content

The two aren't the same IMO. Could you image a RPG where say, Sony pays for content exclusivity and they ship the game on other platforms with a shorter story? How is that fair to the gamers when that content could easily exist for all platforms?

Both scenario suck. I still think being denied an entire game is worse. If I was on the bad end of this deal I would still buy the game. I don't feel like the extra content in Destiny enhanced my experience much.

Patrick S.

Banned
So if I buy Destiny 2 for PC I can play at 60 fps with keyboard and mouse, but miss out on exclusive content. We don't know the future, but in Destiny 1's case, was that exclusive content actually good and/or essential?

Second quote I posted is clearly talking about Rise Of The Tomb Raider. I think all this exclusive stuff is bad, but I would rather wait a year for a few pieces of content than an entire game. People saying otherwise are fooling themselves. If the entire Destiny 2 game was exclusive to PS4 for a year people would be losing their minds.

That is one way to twist it. I wonder how they are managing to fund this third game with no money hat then if the series is such bad shape. Rise sold worse then reboot. Might as well shut the IP down...

Could have sold worse, but the exclusivity deal gave them a bigger chunk upfront to make up for the loss of sales. Who knows.

I didn't really see Tomb Raider exclusivity as a problem nor did I see sfv exclusivity as a problem. Those are complete games that in themselves could be reason to buy a console. You don't have the option to pay for them so you're not getting screwed out of something. My problem lies with two consumers paying the same price at the same time and getting different products.

It was shitty when Microsoft did it and its still shitty now that Sony is doing it. A lot of people wanna bring up microsofts history like it is relevant to the current conversation. It isn't. As of now, Microsoft is no longer engaging in this practice. My hats off to them for making that choice. I'll give my thanks to Sony as well if they decide to do the same.

rise sold worse? do you have a link to the revenue made from both? because i know the first was on sale for penny's

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Oh come on. How can you read those comments and not think he's saying "Tomb Raider has a decent brand. If MS hadn't paid up, someone would have".

gatti-man

I don't think I've ever known the developer of such a big game that has pissed off their fanbase as much as Bungie has for the past few years. Every time someone from there opens their mouth it doesn't seem to end well.

Is it really their fan base though? Because Destiny (and destiny 2) sold gangbusters and still generates massive hype. I don't think their core fan base really cares enough to cost them meaningful sales. It's distasteful and off putting to me but I'm still in for D2 because of how great D1 played.

So if I buy Destiny 2 for PC I can play at 60 fps with keyboard and mouse, but miss out on exclusive content. We don't know the future, but in Destiny 1's case, was that exclusive content actually good and/or essential?

One of my favorite weapons was exclusive in D1 and I enjoyed it immensely (hawkmoon). None of the exclusive content was essential or even meaningful beyond that. The exclusive strike was the worst one in my opinion.

Could have sold worse, but the exclusivity deal gave them a bigger chunk upfront to make up for the loss of sales. Who knows.

I didn't really see Tomb Raider exclusivity as a problem nor did I see sfv exclusivity as a problem. Those are complete games that in themselves could be reason to buy a console. You don't have the option to pay for them so you're not getting screwed out of something. My problem lies with two consumers paying the same price at the same time and getting different products.

It was shitty when Microsoft did it and its still shitty now that Sony is doing it. A lot of people wanna bring up microsofts history like it is relevant to the current conversation. It isn't. As of now, Microsoft is no longer engaging in this practice. My hats off to them for making that choice. I'll give my thanks to Sony as well if they decide to do the same.
Hasn't this been a problem for a long time with different exclusive DLC depending on retailer bonuses.

charpunk

This shit needs to stop. Both Sony and Bungie can get fucked.

30 day times exclusivity is one thing, but holding content for two years only to release it after the next game is disgusting.

Think of it as DLC that's on the disc but you're locked out of it while other people have fun. It might not be hours of fun but it's still content you've paid for.

Both scenario suck. I still think being denied an entire game is worse. If I was on the bad end of this deal I would still buy the game. I don't feel like the extra content in Destiny enhanced my experience much.

Have you played through it without the extra content or only with the content? If you haven't played it without, you honestly have no idea on how much it enhanced your experience. That's the point. The same game at the same price point should have the same content.

In the case of exclusive games, you're not being denied anything. You don't have the option in the first place. There's a difference there.

entremet

Have they though? Destiny was a massive success.

Cranster

Banned
When Bungie's deal with Activision expires they'll have another "Independence Day" party.

By that time the Xbox community will probably be like

fuck_off_dinklage.gif

I bought Destiny but got bored after doing the same type of missions over and over again, only reached level 20 and already burned out by it. Hope for all those buying D2 that it will be much better, ill pass on this one.
At this point Bungie is not even the same company from the Halo era. What they did to Marty is proof enough of that.

Raide

So this will just be free content appearing massively late because the timer ran out on the Sony deal? Probably sets a precident for anything exclusive during the D2 lifespan, which knowing Bungie, is exactly what they will spin as being a good thing.

Xbox was suppose to get it earlier but when Destiny 2 got delayed they extended the exclusivity deal with Playstation for another year.

Why the fuck did they do that? "Our completely separate game got delayed so the DLC exclusivity period on a completely seperate game is getting extended." How sway?

By his logic SFV excuses are also bullshit, specially after SFIV which sold the most.

But there's an ocean between paying to get the game before competition, or even paying so your platform has extra content than just paying to make the other versions worst.

I honestly prefer if D2 came out an year later, but it was fully complete on release than this shit show we are getting. But since sony couldn't/wouldn't afford keeping the entire game exclusive we got this.

I dunno why they just haven't made some Playstation themed exclusive content like most people do. You still gets to champion exclusive content but it doesn't make the other versions worse.

SgtCobra

No not at all, other than the Hawkmoon everything else was really meh.
Im surprised there seem to be no thread about this on the destiny subreddit. Are the mods in the pockets of bungie?
The community over at Reddit (and also YouTube for that matter) do not seem to be as outraged as over here. Although most of them don't agree with these practices too from what I've seen.

oldergamer

Pretty sure the former head of Crystal Dynamics said they decide didn't need Microsoft's money to make that game. Taking it and needing it are not the same thing.

Why does that make a difference? Whether they needed the money or not won't change your opinion.

I think the real issue is multiplatform games coming out at the same time, lacking content on one or the other.

Top Bottom