• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rest of the PS Exclusive Destiny Content coming to Xbox in October

If they paid to keep it away from the competition, it never would appear on Playstation. So in your mind it would be better if the game never came out on other consoles?

I don't think MS would pay that much to keep a series like Tomb Raider exclusive forever. Just too much money involved.

leeh

So this thread has just turned into a MS too one... Great.

Y'all talking about RoTR like its the pit of exclusivity, yet SFV happened.

RPGamer92

Banned
So this thread has just turned into a MS too one... Great.

Y'all talking about RoTR like its the pit of exclusivity, yet SFV happened.
Difference between SFV and RoTR though is:
1. RoTR was already announced for PS4 before MS timed-exclusived it
2. Capcom said before SFV was announced that the game wouldn't be released before 2018 or so without help.
3. SFV released concurrently on PC with the PS4 version.

Basically, SFV was much more of a Bayonetta 2 situation than a RoTR one. Not that I will defend Sony for the Destiny stuff, that is bullshit.

leeh

2. Capcom said before SFV was announced that the game wouldn't be released before 2018 or so without help.

Basically, SFV was much more of a Bayonetta 2 situation than a RoTR one. Not that I will defend Sony for the Destiny stuff, that is bullshit.
1) No it wasn't, the game was just announced. People presumed it was on the PS4, albeit for obvious reasons.
2) RoTR wouldn't of been a thing if it wasn't for MS' help, unless they got it from somewhere else.
3) Yeah, and where's the Xbox version? I can buy RoTR for the PS4.

mrk8885

Banned
I always find it so interesting when one side yells at the other about exclusivity.

Guess what? PS4 and XB1 both do it. There's examples both ways. And that's not going to end. Every console generation has exclusives.

I've also seen posts where people say they'd rather not have destiny on Xbox at all than have a version with some (EDITORS NOTE: minor!) missing / timed exclusive content. And that's just crazy to me.

Synth

!) Ono stated that SFV would be released for XB1 and PS4 (but no plans for Wii U)
2) Not only do I not believe this (hell, not even MvCI is taking that long), but that means little to an Xbox owner that could have played it in 2018 otherwise.
3) What does PC have to do with anything?

Nobody rightly believes Tomb Raider wasn't getting sequelled without an exclusivity deal... and nobody with any sense honestly believes that SFV required one either.

mrk8885

Banned
1) No it wasn't, the game was just announced. People presumed it was on the PS4, albeit for obvious reasons.
2) RoTR wouldn't of been a thing if it wasn't for MS' help, unless they got it from somewhere else.
3) Yeah, and where's the Xbox version? I can buy RoTR for the PS4.

Can you provide proof of how "ROTTR wouldn't have been a thing" if it wasn't for Microsoft. I see people say this all the time but no one can provide any evidence.

Yes, Microsoft "supported" the product and SE "knew they had a friend in MS " and all that. But I've seen nothing to suggest Microsoft paid for development or anything like that. Seems to be one of those things everyone repeats but no one can prove.

They paid for exclusivity. That's it.

Can you provide proof of how "ROTTR wouldn't have been a thing" if it wasn't for Microsoft. I see people say this all the time but no one can provide any evidence.

Yes, Microsoft "supported" the product and SE "knew they had a friend in MS " and all that. But I've seen nothing to suggest Microsoft paid for development or anything like that. Seems to be one of those things everyone repeats but no one can prove.

They both did anti consumer shit and this an example for Sony.

mrk8885

Banned
Well obviously all exclusivity deals are "anti consumer. "

and both sides do it.

So let's not act super offended when one side does it but not care when the other does.

Fuck sake, they both did shoddy shit we shouldn't be happy about. Right now though, there only seems to be one of them still pushing shoddy shit.

leeh

Its on the last page...

When people pay for exclusivity deals, what do you think that goes to? Development...

If they agreed to an exclusivity deal, they were obviously trying to get some entity to subsidise the cost, especially considering its a large franchise.

My point is, yeah RoTR was shitty deal, but people make out this was so much worse than what's been done by Sony, which is simply not true.

Synth

Funny thing about RoTR, is that when it did come to PS4 it contained PSVR content that PC gamers got locked out of for a year also (which is happening far too frequently with PSVR stuff right now imo)

mrk8885

Banned
Its on the last page...

When people pay for exclusivity deals, what do you think that goes to? Development...

If they agreed to an exclusivity deal, they were obviously trying to get some entity to subsidise the cost, especially considering its a large franchise.

My point is, yeah RoTR was shitty deal, but people make out this was so much worse than what's been done by Sony, which is simply not true.

There's a difference between "paid for exclusivity" and "game wouldn't have been made with the money. " of course it helped, but ithe game was getting made either way. If the game truly wouldn't have existed without MS, it never would have come to PS4.

---

For the record, I disagree with anyone acting like it's so much worse than what Sony does. It sucks both ways. No consumer benefits from it, except immature console war lovers who get their jollies from people on the opposing side being denied content. I just think both sides do it, so anyone crying foul ONLY when it affects them bugs me.

I'm more of a PS gamer though I own both systems. I don't recall any Xbox fans last gen lamenting exclusivity deals with COD DLC, or GTA IV DLC. I don't recall MS fans saying "hey that's not fair" when Microsoft locked down sunset overdrive.

Fredrik

Well obviously all exclusivity deals are "anti consumer. "

and both sides do it.

So let's not act super offended when one side does it but not care when the other does.
Yeah everybody lose on these deals, sooner or later. Either by not even getting access to a game or by essentially being forced to buy an inferior version because content you may want are locked away from the definitive version. Don't defend this no matter who's doing it. Just vote with your wallets, and spread the word, hopefully it'll make a tiny dent in the sales curve and they'll get annoyed from the constant complaints so they stop doing stuff like this in the future.

leeh

There's a difference between "paid for exclusivity" and "game wouldn't have been made with the money. " of course it helped, but ithe game was getting made either way. If the game truly wouldn't have existed without MS, it never would have come to PS4.
So why did SE approach MS with the deal then? Just for fun? They were obviously seeking investment. Would it of happened if they didn't? Probably, they would of just gone to someone else.

As said, its not any different, you just choose to think it is in a thread which is all about the shitty practise of what Activision and Sony have done.

Just read your edit, locked SO down?! Lol, they paid for it and let them keep the IP. Is that bad practise now?

Wonder if they'll even bother having Xur sell the Jade Rabbit at this point like they did with Hawkmoon.

giphy.gif

I've never played Destiny.

mrk8885

Banned
Yes leeh. As I've said multiple times now, I think it's crappy when either side does exclusivity deals. It doesn't benefit any of us. But both sides do it.

I'm not sitting here and defending the destiny deal. It doesn't benefit anyone here. I just hate when gamers on either side acts like the opposing company is the only one to do this stuff.

mrk8885

Banned
Also interesting that you said "it's on the last page" when I asked for proof TR wouldn't have existed without Microsoft. Because all I saw was evidence to the contrary.

"As far as whether Microsoft was the white knight that kept Tomb Raider going, Gallagher thinks that the franchise would have always found a way. In other words, no the exclusivity deal wasn’t what kept the series going."

"The interviewer went on to ask Gallagher if he thought that Crystal Dynamics' partnership with Microsoft was so deep that Rise of the Tomb Raider could not exist without it. Gallagher said he doesn't think that's the case.

"I wouldn't say that," he said. "If you look at Tomb Raider, it's been around for 20 years, so I do think that Tomb Raider would still be around [without Microsoft]."

cakely

This is straight-up trolling on Bungie's part.

If I played Destiny on an Xbox platform I'd be really ticked off now.

I'll try to summarize this thread and contribute to the community so I can finally get the member status:

"This game/content is exlusive to my BOX??
Brilliant! Smart business move! You guys can't play it because you support the wrong overlord! That developer there? They are wizards and will optimize the shit out of the game. Exclusive is love. Exclusive is life."

"That piece of shit box that I didn't buy dares to have some exclusive content? OMG! Most evil ever! That developer? COPORATR SELLOUT!! The franchise is dead now. Pick the right overlord next time, developers."

That is all I see on this forum these days. A bit sad really. /r/ps4, /r/Xboxone and /r/nintendoswitch are more mature these days and they don't even strict rules for membership. What happened here?

Fredrik

I don't recall MS fans saying "hey that's not fair" when Microsoft locked down sunset overdrive.
I don't think anyone understood how the future regarding exclusivity deals would look at that point, previously it just felt like certain third party devs sided with Sony or MS for... reasons... and I don't think we understood that it was probably just money all along.

I mean, Team Ninja on Xbox, Insomniac on PS3.
Correct me if I'm wrong but was there anything except money involved there? I know people assumed that Itagaki was a huge Xbox fan and Insomniac loved the PS3 hardware etc. But maybe there was simply a deal signed that pretty much made them first party for a while?

I know I was really surprised to see Insomniac make a XB1 game, that was just plain odd imo, in my mind they were Sony first party at that point, I never thought Sunset Overdrive would stay Xbox exclusive and never thought much about it.

What's the story on Bungie btw? Were they Microsoft first party and was sold off to Activision? or were they third party devs that signed an excusivity deal to make a certain number of Halo games?
Whatever happened they must know that they aren't making themselves popular at this point since they're pretty much pissing on the customers that made them who they are today.

That is all I see on this forum these days. A bit sad really. /r/ps4, /r/Xboxone and /r/nintendoswitch are more mature these days and they don't even strict rules for membership. What happened here?
Lol I doubt you really browse r/XboxOne because hoo boy, that sub acts like toddlers when it comes to Destiny. Any Destiny thread is just filled with "Fuck Bungie, hope they run out of fucking business, they BETRAYED ME!" and people who like the game get downvoted just for liking it.

looking at what has happened to street fighter capcom would have been better off waiting and developing without the moneyhat

c0de

Funny thing about RoTR, is that when it did come to PS4 it contained PSVR content that PC gamers got locked out of for a year also (which is happening far too frequently with PSVR stuff right now imo)
7 is the same, right?

Fredrik

looking at what has happened to street fighter capcom would have been better off waiting and developing without the moneyhat
Very likely. Same thing with Rise of the Tomb Raider. The deal definitely hurt the sales and general appreciation of the game, it's a great game but the talk was mostly about the exclusivity deal and exaggerated fanboy related complaints.
I wouldn't rule out that the same thing happens with Destiny 2 now. It's really not a smart business decision to piss off half your potential customer base.

Trup1aya

Why are we splitting hairs here?

SFIV and Tomb Raider (2013) both sold like 9million copies. Any notion, official or otherwise that sequels couldn't/wouldn't be funded w/o exclusivity deals is extremely hard to believe. Both of these deals sucked ass and appear to have actually harmed their franchises.

Destiny's timed exclusive season pass content is especially egregious, because it delays gamers access to content they paid for. It's disgusting and I'm really surprised to see Bungie participate in this since they fought constantly to keep MS' DLC practices in check with Halo.

mrk8885

Banned
Damn, what an awful agreement.

Awful for XB1 players sure.

Seems just fine for bungie/activision. Sales are pretty similar on both consoles, they get added exposure from Sony at their confidences. They seem to be doing just fine.

Doesn't seem like Xbox players are punishing the exclusivity with their wallets. Wonder if it'll be different with 2.

border

RotR was never announced for PS4. People just assumed it was.

The "Oh but Sony helped Capcom make SFV faster!" Excuse rings super hollow when Capcom rushed a half-finished game to market.

Chris1

It was never announced for PS4. The fact it was exclusive didn't come until later yes, but it was never officially announced for PS4.

Anyways I don't think they're comparable. In TR case your $60 got you the same (or more) as what your $60 did on Xbox. With Destiny you're paying the same amount for less content. FIFA Legends is more comparable than TR IMO

Dabanton

I don't recall MS fans saying "hey that's not fair" when Microsoft locked down sunset overdrive.

Totally different situation. IG wanted to retain the IP for the game. They went to a "few different places" to pitch, we can assume one of those places was Sony.

"We pitched it a few different places, and it was really important to [Insomniac CEO] Ted [Price] that we own the IP, so some of the conversations broke down over that," Smith admitted. "With Microsoft, they just came in very energetic and excited to work with Insomniac, period. And we'd heard some really good things about them and some resources that they would be allowing us to have."

Insomniac's obsession with owning its own IP started with its co-op shooter Fuse, and comes from a long legacy of making famous franchises -- like Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, and Resistance -- that it doesn't own. "Most publisher conversations begin and end with IP ownership," Murray said candidly, "and I think [Microsoft] has been talking to Ted for a while, and at some point it was like, 'you can retain the IP,' and suddenly, it was a conversation point."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/05/09/how-sunset-overdrive-became-an-xbox-one-exclusive

c0de

I'm not sure if you mean Tekken 7, Resident Evil 7, or Ace Combat 7... but yes. :p

I meant Resident Evil but eh, yes ;-)
I mean it's hard for vr to take off in general but hurting other platforms which aren't even in competition on the console or consoles in general is just insane to me.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
What really infuriates me about this is the false pretense that this is timed exclusive content. The content was obviously meant to be exclusive until that part of the game or the game itself was outdated by new expansions or a sequel. This timed exclusive content also hurt PS4 players because the exclusive strikes and whatnot are not in the Nightfall rotations due to it. I couldn't believe that the timed exclusive content was delayed a whole year because Sony/Activision/Bungie didn't want to make it available to any other platform before D2. It's just stupid because it's like Bungie doesn't want this content viewed as permanent exclusive content even though it practically is.

Poor form, Bungie. They lost a lot of respect I had for them after this deal, and even if they don't care, I doubt they will make back that respect. They used to be one of my favorite developers, but it's really hard to say that now.

It probably would have still been crap. Maybe crap is a strong word, but the it's not par with Mortal Kombat or Injustice in terms of production values and content. Look at the new Marvel v Capcom. I'm not sure what they are doing at Capcom with their fighting games.

Well some of my Xbox destiny friends are switching to PS4 for Destiny 2 because of this exclusive content. I don't want to join them so it's really soured me on the whole prospect of buying Destiny 2.

MaulerX

Personally what makes this more offensive than most other agreements is the fact that:

1: Two years. Think about that for a second. But that isn't the worst part.

2: Have it come out AFTER the sequel comes out. By that time no one would care. It's structured in a way that goes beyond business. It's personal and a literal "fuck you" to it's customers.

Top Bottom