• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

Shiloa

Are there actually going to be space levels? Not maps which are simply ground maps, but with a space backgroud, but actual space levels.

Are there actually going to be space levels? Not maps which are simply ground maps, but with a space backgroud, but actual space levels.
Are you asking about flight missions in space without somewhere to land? I have no idea. But there are flying segments before and after ground missions to take out flying enemies that are attacking supply ships or whatever...

jred2k

Sorry if I've missed it in the thread, bit is there any sort of GAF players list for this? Considering how team-focused the game is it would be cool to get some regulars together.

so is anyone buying this?????
This thread is so dead without my "padding". Not looking good if gaf is anything to go by. Hopefully the rest of the world has some spirit.

As for a players list. I'll leave that to someone more attuned to the MP like the takeoutbandit (who hasn't been seen in this thread unless I'm blind). Last I knew, he wasn't interested much anyway...

I wish they were doing another warhawk downloadable type again. Id rather have this on my system at all times and pop in and play.

I admire Lightbox for trying something new and not merely updating the graphics and adding more content, but I'd be lying if I told you Starhawk just aint working for me. After seeing how this turned out I don't really blame other devs for playing it safe with sequels. That being said, what do you guys think the odds are of a Warhawk 2? More or less than .01%?

I really hate when people say this. What we played was a beta build, not an alpha or pre-alpha build. All that's going to be changed from here on out are the minor types of tweaks we saw from November to March. What others and I disliked about from the beta is something much more core to the game that is too late to change.

I'm willing to play the game again in a demo form to see if something they tweaked magically changes how I feel about the core gameplay, but not pay $60 and hope it's completely different.

I hope this game does well so that they can stay afloat and make a true sequel to the PS3 Warhawk.

I bought my PS3 for a chance at Warhawk's Beta, sunk 961 hrs into playing over the years and won a gamebattles.com championship playing "competitively". That's how much I loved playing Warhawk. As much as I wanted to like Starhawk everything about it is just off-putting. I'll check for a day one patch to see if it gets any better though.

Great first post OP good shit.

This game is gonna be shooter of shooters. Can't wait. 7 days to go.
Thanks. Means a lot coming from a WH vet. My first OT. It was done last minute because no one has heard of this game apparently haha so I stepped up thanks to Loudninja's nudge.

According to a buddy of mine, Starhawk is the number 2 most looked forward to game of May as mentioned in a Yahoo article. Anyone have links? I'm on mobile and can't seem to find it.

KalBalboa

Banned
Those preorder bonuses are ridiculous.

Free month of PS Plus
Free co-op map
Two free skins
$10 of bluetooth headset
Warhawk PSone Classic
Soundtrack

Looks like a day one for me now.

Loudninja

As with most shooters nowadays, Starhawk uses a regenerative health system; although this one is not always as forgiving as the likes of Call of Duty or Halo. Once your screen starts to go red at the edges you really should look to take cover by crouching behind some piece of wall, door or turret. The non-linear level design means you'll have to have your wits about you when entering a fight as enemies can attack from multiple angles and vastly outnumber you and the small number of AI companions we've fought alongside thus far.
http://www.incgamers.com/Previews/413/starhawk-preview---an-rts-a-shooter-and-a-space-combat-sim

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Preordered yesterday, one of the rare times I'll do that. Was very happy with the direction of the game based on the beta, just wish I had time to play after the 1.3 update to see how BnB restrictions held up with 32 players.

The game felt very much a spiritual successor to Warhawk to me and I don't really get the comments about how it doesn't gel with old Warhawk players here but, to each their own.

I'm grateful that the game empowers the engineer type player even moreso than Warhawk did, while still allowing for some fantastic run and gun gameplay when I'm up to it.

the game is pretty unique, no other multiplayer game like it, so as long as more people get to try it, I'm sure some of them will stick with it.

Torgo

Co-op is a separate mode.

Yeah, co-op is kind-of a hybrid between a horde mode, but with teh ability to Have AI teammates, and full vehicle and Build&Battle support. It's in 6 waves, and enemy attack waves atre completely randomized every time.

Afrikan

The videos that GT put up of the campaign recently looked really good. This one especially.

Technically, it reminds me of inFamous with a ton of shit going on with no drop in frame rate.

I stopped watching after fast forwarding to 1:35....oh man is that beautiful wow...yeah I'm getting this one now, if anything but for the single player.

I mean, I LOVE Warhawk....and I want to Warhawk 2....but the single player in this game might make me warm up to the multiplayer.

Loudninja

Yeah, co-op is kind-of a hybrid between a horde mode, but with teh ability to Have AI teammates, and full vehicle and Build&Battle support. It's in 6 waves, and enemy attack waves atre completely randomized every time.
Sounds really awesome!

Loving the teases, torgo. Not liking the trailer things. They need to open the floodgates and show us the other maps and types of missions in store.

I know there are bigger enemies as seen in the story trailer, but I'm wondering if (hoping) there are giant, alien-esque monsters that takes all or most of the vehicles to take down. Like weak points up top that are only vulnerable to hawks, chase sequence using the jetbike, firing at its legs with the tank etc.

Top Bottom