• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump’s lawyers seek to undercut Mueller’s Russia investigation

Surfinn

So Trump refuses to release his tax returns. Then places a red line on investigators obtaining them. Then asks if he can pardon himself. Then his lawyers leave.

I for one think he's totally innocent

gamz

So Trump refuses to release his tax returns. Then places a red line on investigators obtaining them. Then asks if he can pardon himself. Then his lawyers leave.

It's only been 6 months. Unreal.

Yep, probably this. Every sane lawyer would leave the ship in that case.

I'm just wondering that firing Mueller is not seen as obstruction of justice... and if that process can be done indefinitely. So Trump fires Mueller somehow, Congress re-hires him, Trump fires him again etc.

And well, Trump also fired at Sessions and Rosenstein, so they will probably leave soon, too.
If Congress "re-hired" him, it would be by reinstating the act that allows them to appoint him as an independent investigator outside the President's reach.

Did he really ask if he can pardon himself? How did I miss that if true?

Zolo

Sessions isn't going to give up power, and Trump isn't going to fire Sessions because he'd be hard-pressed to find someone more loyal.

jelly

Anybody still think Mueller isn't going to find anything? Lol

He will find something, it's just when he drops the hammer that I'm wondering and even if Trump gets the boot before then, the investigation will still continue and people will be brought to justice, nobody can resign and just walk away clean, Mueller and others can still go after them and will be allowed to do so?

HylianTom

Banned
This investigation feels like a ticking bomb, but one where we can't watch the numbers tick down to zero. So we live our daily lives, knowing that at some point, it's going to explode. We just don't know when.

It's unlike anything we've seen.

BriGuy

If Congress "re-hired" him, it would be by reinstating the act that allows them to appoint him as an independent investigator outside the President's reach.
And we all know how fast congress acts, and how cordial they are with one another.

If Mueller gets fired, that's pretty much it. There will be enough interference at play to allow Trump to complete his first term unabated and maybe even secure his second, and when all the underhanded shit he pulled finally comes to light, we'll be told to stop "litigating the past" or "he's not president any more" or some variation thereof.

Surfinn

I can totally see Trump playing the angle of "he's too close to Comey to be unbiased, therefore he's unfit for the job"

Clefargle

A truly sad case study into cult of personality, blissful ignorance and wilful trolling through supposed anonimity.

keeping that subreddit around has really soured me on Reddit as a company

Not that I disagree, but maybe it will end up alright. If he gets impeached, that sub will turn into more of a goldmine for salt and shadefreud that it already is. I wonder if they'll go private again if /when impeachment proceedings begin

KingV

A truly sad case study into cult of personality, blissful ignorance and wilful trolling through supposed anonimity.

keeping that subreddit around has really soured me on Reddit as a company

Both that and Twitters failure to act on bots.

Rvaan

Banned
There's ways for Trump to do it, but he basically has to go down the line of succession until he finds someone who does

And really nobody wants to be the star of The Saturday Night Massacre 2
It would be career suicide to be the person to fire Mueller.

No way. Republicans still fear Trump... At least right now.

You that after the healthcare debacle. I mean come on now. The one display of fear and authority over his party that could achieve the administrations goals and Trump falters.

Despite all his efforts trump cant even strongarm his very first bill into law.

Repubs don't fear him. They know full well how currently useful he is, so they instead use him.

jelly

It would be career suicide to be the person to fire Mueller.

Put a few million in their bank account, a secret one....

The annoying thing is that after Trump is gone we will have endless, he didn't get the chance to MAGA so everything shit will be the Dems fault while the Republicans do nothing but turn the screw and obstruct if the Dems get back in. They need something to fight against while they suffer, it's all they know.

Thaedolus

I thought only Rosenstein could fire Mueller ?

Yes, but his boss (Rosenstein) can fire him and his boss's boss (Sessions) can fire Rosenstein, and Sessions can be fired by Trump. It would be a fucking clusterfuck if he were to do it, but what about that makes anyone think Trump wouldn't do it considering what a comic book villain he's turned out to be?

I am hopeful all of this leads to the inevitable downfall of this orange asshole. The walls are closing in on him and he knows he's pretty much fucked.

HolySheep

Neo Member
Congress will not rehire mueller . Firing him could be viewed as obstruction of justice . Mueller investigating his own firing would be a case of conflict of interests

bebop242

One of the lawyers on Trump's team is named Ty Cobb.

Not to mention John Dowd who was the videogame version of Barry Bonds when they couldnt use his name or likeness.

Edit: it was Jon Dowd in the videogame not John Dowd like the rat jumping ship.

Tovarisc

Congress will not rehire mueller . Firing him could be viewed as obstruction of justice . Mueller investigating his own firing would be a case of conflict of interests

They will not rehire Mueller because it would be opening for them to kill Russia Probe, at least special prosecutor part of it.

This investigation feels like a ticking bomb, but one where we can't watch the numbers tick down to zero. So we live our daily lives, knowing that at some point, it's going to explode. We just don't know when.

It's unlike anything we've seen.
What you are describing is like a movie trailer in the making.

They will not rehire Mueller because it would be opening for them to kill Russia Probe, at least special prosecutor part of it.

Until the IC goes ballistic again and leaks all sorts of stuff out to the public to the point where it forces their hands. So much of what's happening right now is because Trump was dumb enough to go to war with the IC.

And that's not even putting into consideration what sort of Dead Man's Switch(es) Mueller has to have put in place already. Even if Mueller gets fired, I don't think it's going to just end then and there.

Top Bottom