• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Credo

ive read on countless other forums that trying to get the proper uniques in this game is very rare more rare than getting a legendary in diablo 3. does this have any truth

I played a marauder to 40 in closed beta and found 3 uniques. I played all classes except one to lvl 60 in Diablo 3 and found 3 uniques. Obviously, each person's experience will differ but........yeah.

Got the email for the open beta starting 1/23.

After listening to the impressions on Weekend Confirmed I might as well give this a shot. F2P and all...

Ricker

Kinda late but hey,I got the supporter pack from them for the soundtrack and all so I have an extra key if anyone wants to try it out a few days before the server get really busy in 2 days...quote to get.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda late but hey,I got the supporter pack from them for the soundtrack and all so I have an extra key if anyone wants to try it out a few days before the server get really busy in 2 days...quote to get.

could i have it for my friend please :)

JWong

Banned
Good morning PoE-GAF! As you already know, I've been working on a legendary for a couple of days and I've managed to gather a lot of my own ideas that I might implement. But I thought that I don't want to do anything drastic until I get some ideas from you guys. I've always wanted to create something that "we" (PoE-GAF) will take in special consideration. So bottom-line is:

I need your help to give me ideas regarding:

1. What type of base item type would you want it to have?

2. What sort of theme and mods for the item? (Fire, Leech, etc)

3. Early-mid-or-late-game legendary?

4. I'm also open for any inspiration regarding the design of the item!

Please PM me if you have serious ideas that you'd like to share. Note that I won't be able to respond (or I might not even respond at all), until after I get back home from work.

Love,
Yoshi

I'm thinking...

Late game 2h Mace with Ghost Reaver property or straight up ES gain on hit.

ive read on countless other forums that trying to get the proper uniques in this game is very rare more rare than getting a legendary in diablo 3. does this have any truth

you can also get rares by using orbs of chance which make white items either magical, rare, or unique. Obviously that's very rare to get but you don't just have to find stuff on drops.

undu

Why doesn't he understand yet that explaining the punchline with such long texts is not funny?

This would be better (I'd delete the FWOOSH if I could, too):

7uA41Sv.png

injurai

Banned
Good morning PoE-GAF! As you already know, I've been working on a legendary for a couple of days and I've managed to gather a lot of my own ideas that I might implement. But I thought that I don't want to do anything drastic until I get some ideas from you guys. I've always wanted to create something that "we" (PoE-GAF) will take in special consideration. So bottom-line is:

Please PM me if you have serious ideas that you'd like to share. Note that I won't be able to respond (or I might not even respond at all), until after I get back home from work.

Love,
Yoshi

A 1-handed Flail, where the iron ball on the end is replaced with a Heavy Iron Lantern. This lantern would glow (I suppose orange for neogaf) but upon striking an enemy the flames would look more blueish-purple. With each it releases spirits that do area effect damage before returning back into the lantern.

This ghosts should whisper the names PoE-gaffers, who where victims of Diablo 3 and are looking join the fight in Wraeclast in the new form of a weapon.

The weapon itself could be called djöfulsins svipa (The Devil's Whip in icelandic) and would be a flail with very long range, say 1.5-2 times the range of a normal melee weapon (unless this could pose a balance issue). It would have a high attack speed, but With each hit more and more souls come out, causing the Physical damage to drastically drop while the area effect damage goes up.

The souls do much more damage in form of a melee attack, and the aoe is supplementary. But a rapid succession of hits could be pulled off if with the extended range to make this weapon the perfect stutter stepping aoe crowd control melee weapon.

If you hit rapidly enough that all the ghosts are expelled from the weapon, upon return you will get a guaranteed critical hit or perhaps a heal based on a percentage of aoe-damage done.

Morokh

I really don't like the graphical part of the game for everything I saw in pictures and videos until now (you can make dark and gritty and make it stylish, and not just boring classic medieval-ish), but everything about the game mechanics seems really interesting, and now that I know it's f2p (in a manner that seems reasonable) i'll definitely give it a serious try.

I was about to bitch about the (always) online part of the game, but I guess it comes with the free-to-play model, BUT then i read the thing about leagues and events, that actually give meaning and incentive to that beyond the classic 'play with friends' or 'trade' and it sounds quite fun.

JWong

Banned
I really don't like the graphical part of the game for everything I saw in pictures and videos until now (you can make dark and gritty and make it stylish, and not just boring classic medieval-ish), but everything about the game mechanics seems really interesting, and now that I know it's f2p (in a manner that seems reasonable) i'll definitely give it a serious try.

I was about to bitch about the (always) online part of the game, but I guess it comes with the free-to-play model, BUT then i read the thing about leagues and events, that actually give meaning and incentive to that beyond the classic 'play with friends' or 'trade' and it sounds quite fun.

That's what they're going for. They even talked about getting licenses to medieval weapons to use in their art. Don't be deceived by early levels. The game means for you to be picking up trash as equipment until later on in the game.

After seeing the fiasco with Torchlight 2, always online is the way to go if any online community is to exist for an ARPG.

"In April 2012 we launched a crowdfunding campaign on our website where users can purchase Supporter Packs with prices ranging from $10 to $1000. So far the community has contributed US$2.2m to the development of the game. This support has allowed us to grow our team and to polish Act III to a level we are very proud of. Thank you so much for the generous support!"

Dayum.

Arksy

I think this is always online done right at least, there are people chatting, mods and devs chiming in and it seems to be a decent community so far of hardcore diablo fans breathing a breath of fresh air.

nan0

Just saw the open beta starts at 22:00 CET, so it's nearly going to be Thursday for EU :/
Did they say if there is an additional (large) update coming for that day, or is the transition more or less smooth (bar the char wipe)? I can imagine that there will be a huge run on the servers.

Arksy

Just saw the open beta starts at 22:00 CET, so it's nearly going to be Thursday for EU :/
Did they say if there is an additional (large) update coming for that day, or is the transition more or less smooth (bar the char wipe)? I can imagine that there will be a huge run on the servers.

I think there's an entire new act coming.

Perkel

Banned

Act 3 dude. Ton of changes in Act 1 and act2 too.

Vodh

So, who's a better pick for a high damage, fun and quick melee character? If squishiness is a concern, I'd rather deal more damage and die quicker than sacrifice damage for survivability.

I'm thinking Duelist or Shadow. Who'd you recommend and why?

Perkel

Banned
So, who's a better pick for a high damage, fun and quick melee character? If squishiness is a concern, I'd rather deal more damage and die quicker than sacrifice damage for survivability.

I'm thinking Duelist or Shadow. Who'd you recommend and why?

Shadow with daggers and crits is fun to play.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'd like to thank every single one who gave me ideas for the legendary item. The PMs, specifically, have been great and I really appreciate it :)

Gonna give this one bump and see if I add anything to my ideas!

Love,
Yoshi

garath

"In April 2012 we launched a crowdfunding campaign on our website where users can purchase Supporter Packs with prices ranging from $10 to $1000. So far the community has contributed US$2.2m to the development of the game. This support has allowed us to grow our team and to polish Act III to a level we are very proud of. Thank you so much for the generous support!"

Dayum.

Very nice! Good for them. They deserve it. Very excited to start a new char Wed. I really want to play but don't want to get any more invested before the wipe.

I'd like to thank every single one who gave me ideas for the legendary item. The PMs, specifically, have been great and I really appreciate it :)

I hope you get your own unique item automatically :)

Yoshichan's GAF-Cape.
Wearer becomes increasingly excited.
Around Christmas time provides wearer with +Magic Find

JWong

Banned

I got my email about what I want to make. I think I'll play OB for a week or so before deciding.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I confirmed with EviLore, you can indeed use the GAF-logo for an item :3. Oh, and he told me to leave enough time of the day to get some sleep and rest my fingers :lol Come on, why would I play that much of a game!

<,<
BTW, does the game have voice chat?
Nope.

I confirmed with EviLore, you can indeed use the GAF-logo for an item :3. Oh, and he told me to leave enough time of the day to get some sleep and rest my fingers :lol Come on, why would I play that much of a game!

<,<

Nope.

OK thanks. So I take it this game has the Yoshi seal of approval since you are diamond? So must be better than D3 eh

Ferny

OK thanks. So I take it this game has the Yoshi seal of approval since you are diamond? So must be better than D3 eh
I would say if you're looking for a true successor persay to D2, look to PoE for that. I'm enjoying it more than I was D3 and I actually liked D3.

JWong

Banned
Marauder is pretty fun if you go leap slam/ground slam. Wand marauder seems to work pretty well too.

I have the most fun with the Marauder. It's mainly because the initial survivability with the Marauder's life branch is so good that it makes the start a lot easier.

And that doesn't mean that the endgame is harder. Life is pretty much the most valued passive for survivability in any tree.

Yoshichan

I don't talk about that game in this thread, but I can tell you that I've already played the closed beta of PoE more than D3 retail (not counting D3 beta, obviously - since I played 800 hours of that :lol)

Edit: injurai, haha!

Yoshichan

Yoshi, you have your avatar idea?
I'll have something Yoshi-related, I don't know the details yet though! What about you?

JWong

Banned
I'll have something Yoshi-related, I don't know the details yet though! What about you?

I gave them a very specific imagery. Something cool that I liked from the OB trailer.

Hope they do well with it.

Also asked if they could give me a poster size resolution so I could make a poster out of it.

Top Bottom