• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

TheFatOne

I want to start out as a witch, but I have no idea which direction I should go with my build. Anyone have any tips/builds for witches?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Like a pair of gloves that allow you to move faster, but you have a 1/100 chance when you attack to lay an egg?
We were talking about the custom made forum avatar XD

Baffey

Neo Member
I have the most fun with the Marauder. It's mainly because the initial survivability with the Marauder's life branch is so good that it makes the start a lot easier.

And that doesn't mean that the endgame is harder. Life is pretty much the most valued passive for survivability in any tree.

Yea if you get a couple coral rings brutus is a walk in the park.

A little advice to any new players, don't invest too many passive skill points into dmg/offence, you'll get most of your damage from weapon + armour. Focus on survivability.

A little advice to any new players, don't invest too many passive skill points into dmg/offence, you'll get most of your damage from weapon + armour. Focus on survivability.

but Glass Cannon

xclaw

I want to start out as a witch, but I have no idea which direction I should go with my build. Anyone have any tips/builds for witches?

Do you like fire, ice or lightning? Are you interested in being a glass cannon or summoning minions?

I started with a cold witch which would focus on freezing and blasting away foes with various ice spells. It was a really fun to play but at least for me wasn't working to well for solo play.

Then I switched over to a summoner with lightning which worked out a lot better in solo and group play.

But can you reset your skill tree?

KKRT00

It was true in closed beta, but it wont be true anymore in Open Beta.

Nope but you get those orbs which grant you 1 level of respec and sometimes you get respect points from quests.

You can't buy full respec

Just a heads up, those orbs now buy 1 alchemy which makes white items into rares. So Orbs of Regret will be even harder to use on yourself because you will want to use them on alchemy orbs.

You build up respec points, though I'm not exactly sure how that all works...

There are side quests in act 1 and 2 in closed beta that give 2 respec points each.

Vodh

I bit the bullet and bought the 25$ kiwi pack, the game seems good enough to convince me to support the devs.

But what am I supposed to do with my life for the next 2 days?!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks again for the ideas, guys! It's shaping up to be something really cool!

I think I'm heading to bed very soon... I can't believe the next day I'm gonna wake up will be the day PoE is gonna be released :D 10PM tomorrow can't come soon enough! It'll also be the last time I go to bed this week :3

So excited... SO EXCITED!!!!

Vodh

Thanks again for the ideas, guys! It's shaping up to be something really cool!

I think I'm heading to bed very soon... I can't believe the next day I'm gonna wake up will be the day PoE is gonna be released :D 10PM tomorrow can't come soon enough! It'll also be the last time I go to bed this week :3

So excited... SO EXCITED!!!!

You got a 1 day headstart for the diamond support or something? 'Cause the clock on the website says it's still 48 hours to go.

Ricker

Just got an e-mail about the game..they got 2,2 millions from all the support packs since close beta started,that's pretty good and they say that helped them put the finishing touches on Act 3...

Can we keep our current game and just patch it up on the 23th or do we have to delete it and redownload...?

Ricker

key for the impatient? i always want to play these games tanky, then see some wizard doing something explody. so torn.

You should be able to do a little bit of explody stuff even if you tank...just put a 2 h staff or something like that in the second weapon set and with the proper gems inserted,it should work...just found a nice yellow staff this morning with 3 slots and my duelist is suddenly flinging spells and all...

JWong

Banned
key for the impatient? i always want to play these games tanky, then see some wizard doing something explody. so torn.

It's going to be really hard to be able to tank everything. ARPGs are never meant to allow you to tank and spank. It's not like regular RPGs since there are no healers.

There are mechanics in the game that won't allow to facetank things since, if you're not careful, they can one shot you when their damage is stacked.

Just got an e-mail about the game..they got 2,2 millions from all the support packs since close beta started,that's pretty good and they say that helped them put the finishing touches on Act 3...

Can we keep our current game and just patch it up on the 23th or do we have to delete it and redownload...?

Your closed beta client will patch up to the open beta version. Keep it.

I hate looking up builds online. Fully expecting to go through several characters until I figure out how I want to play, which I've gone through several already in closed beta. It'll probably be at least 3-4 more in open beta until I start to develop a character I want to spend my time on.

Anno

Your closed beta client will patch up to the open beta version. Keep it.

I hate looking up builds online. Fully expecting to go through several characters until I figure out how I want to play, which I've gone through several already in closed beta. It'll probably be at least 3-4 more in open beta until I start to develop a character I want to spend my time on.

This is what I've done all weekend. Fortunately they seem to transition well from one to another because I can just stash all of my currency items, rares and spell gems. I'm glad that GGG doesn't allow full respecs and I really hope they keep it that way.

Ploid 3.0

If there was one video to show to D2 fans that didn't like D3 what video would it be? I know they would like Path but I want to show them a video that will drive the point home without having to show them a wall of videos.

Card Boy

Banned

Vodh

If there was one video to show to D2 fans that didn't like D3 what video would it be? I know they would like Path but I want to show them a video that will drive the point home without having to show them a wall of videos.

As it is now, I'd say PoE reminds me more of D1 than D2. And as a presentation of how PoE is closer to D1 than D3 is, just about anything would do.

What's the default number (and limit) on character slots and stash pages? Thinking about chipping in $10-$15 and trying to figure out if the extra money is worth it.

injurai

Banned
What's the default number (and limit) on character slots and stash pages? Thinking about chipping in $10-$15 and trying to figure out if the extra money is worth it.

yes, Join us brother

and if your planning on it, might as well get a free kiwi at $25... i've yet to support, though it's enticing.

Vodh

yes, Join us brother

and if your planning on it, might as well get a free kiwi at $25... i've yet to support, though it's enticing.

Might as well get a free kiwi, it's only $25! Free! Just $10 more than you're considering!

Yeah, you're still getting your money's worth in the microtransactions currency. In fact, that's what I did, got the kiwi pack mainly for the kiwi. Just joking here.

So can anyone provide reasons where this game bests Diablo 3? I'm not saying D3 was great by any means just looking for honest responses as I haven't yet played this game. I get the darker artstyle ala d2 but what else? Also the skill tree looks WAY more configurable...what else?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So can anyone provide reasons where this game bests Diablo 3? I'm not saying D3 was great by any means just looking for honest responses as I haven't yet played this game. I get the darker artstyle ala d2 but what else? Also the skill tree looks WAY more configurable...what else?

Character customization and loot is the common thought. It also eliminates free and immediate respeccing so build planning actually becomes a thing. And no RMAH.

Vodh

The passives tree is pretty amazing, especially if you enjoyed Final Fantasy X. The materia-like skill gems are pretty neat for fans of FF VII. Overall, there is a lot more in terms of versatility and build customization, and the builds actually feel like builds instead of 'load-outs'.

But the biggest advantage of PoE right now from my point of view is that it is a good ARPG and it's new. Seems like a great way to pass some time until 1.08 or 1.09 comes to D3.

Character customization and loot is the common thought. It also eliminates free and immediate respeccing so build planning actually becomes a thing. And no RMAH.

So you can actually customize the way your character looks like hair, skin etc unlike D3? EDIT: oh yeah it does have arenas at launch too right? lol

Top Bottom