• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films you were not emotionally prepared for/traumatized by as a kid

yeah, as others have said already: Stephen Kings’ IT.

fucked me up royally, saw it when i was thirteen, couldn’t sleep alone for a week, and i don’t think i’m exaggerating when i say i didn’t watch a proper horror movie until i was twenty.

with that said, i’m planning on facing my fears and watch the new one on day one.

It's weird a lot of people are saying IT, I'm not trying to be a badass (I was scared of horror movies for a while after just the opening of the Ring) but I watched IT when I was 10 or younger and it didn't phase me at all, if anything I laughed at some of it and was confused how it was supposed to be scary lol.

KdylanR92

I had nightmares about that Pinocchio horror movie for like a year when I was a kid.

I feel like no one will know what i'm talking about.

ezekial45

Banned
Robocop, to say the fucking least.

oMs3xM0.gif

I still can't bring myself to watch the scene where Murphy gets gunned down again. I saw that when I was 8 or 9, and I'm still bothered by it.

Aside from that, I love the movie. Hell, I find the scene with the toxic waste to be hilarious.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
When I was young, like 11, 12, I hadn't seen any horror films. Like, not the Wolfman, not Frankenstein, nothing.

So I went to a friend's house, and we watched VHS tape of a movie called the Exorcist.

I lived in a looming gray tenement at the end of a dark street. So obviously I walked home after the movie, at night, utterly traumatized. My neighbor from across the hall, a funny dude, my friend's dad actually, saw me coming (I didn't see him) and decided it would be top highjinks to leap out of the stairwell at me and scream boo.

Yeah. So that was great.

Nightfall

The Witches

This movie traumatized me as a kid!
giphy.gif

anigif_enhanced-995-1413317151-1.gif

giphy.gif

And also anything with dolls.
I think I remember some kids movie with a doll wich looked similar to the one from Dead Silence which was insanely creepy... but I can't remember the name...

kyser73

Watership Down in the cinema when I was about 5. Killer bunnies.

Kes when I was 7. The tale of a w/c kid who rescues a kestrel, raises it, gets bullied by his big brother but the kestrel helps him develop other parts of his life, assisted by his English teacher.
Brother then does something awful.

Scum when I was 12. Ray Winston is sent to borstal - the UKs 'short, sharp shock' juvenile detention centres in the 70s. Basically Oz but with British teenagers.

I saw the Terminator when I was 10 in 1989.

The nightmares began that night.

I still get them every so often.

Oh man yes. I was about 8 when I saw that. For weeks I was legit afraid of being abducted by aliens.

Then I realized it was just fantasy and got into that sorta stuff and started watching the X-Files a couple years later.

And then you see your first UFO and that shit starts all over again.
Semi-jesting :p

Syf

Banned
Watched Blair Witch Project while camping with my dad when I was really young, never been so terrified in my life lol

SugarDave

I realise how dumb it all is now, but I would always start to freak out when they perform surgery on the alien in Independence Day.

I'd run outside the room ask "is the cutting bit finished?" over and over.

Also, not a film, but the theme tune of Men Behaving Badly would send me into hysterics for reasons unknown. Link

hermit7

I must have seen American History X when I was 8 years old but the curb stop is still deeply rooted in my mind.

I have seen the movie since then, but I still avoid the scene whenever I have watched it again.

biteren

the tales from the dark side movie.

theres a story in the movie involving a Gargoyle, it scared the fuck otta me as a kid. scariest looking thing to me, diddnt help that my second grade class had a Halloween decoration of that very same gargoyle.
EDIT: spoilered for possible nightmare fuel (also so it doesnt bother me)

even today as a grown ass man it still makes me uncomfortable. this is what satan looks like to me.
TalesGargoyle-1024x576.png

Ecotic

When I was maybe 5 or 6 I distinctly remember my younger brother and myself hiding under our parent's bed and then watching the 1980's Mel Gibson movie they were watching. I thought I had seen 200 people get killed.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
All we had for tv entertainment most of my life growing up were vhs tapes.
One day when I was about 8 I popped one in that was unlabeled that someone had recorded a bunch of random shit on for us. One of the things on there was a short film about a tiny goblin type creature that came out at night and tried to kill a boy. He ends up getting saved by the pet cat. It fucked me up good and I slept with the family car in my room for years after that.

Oh and robocop 2. The torture scene did a number on me as a kid.

DiscoJer

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. That scene where the creepy kid gets kidnapped and all his toys start moving. I had seen a UFO (it was the 70s after all) and it terrified me, giving me nightmares and Close Encounters just made it worse.

Barbarella and those evil dolls. I was drawn by the supposed nudity (there's some, but not that much and I was disappointed), but those dolls, those dolls.

DiscoJer

All we had for tv entertainment most of my life growing up were vhs tapes.
One day when I was about 8 I popped one in that was unlabeled that someone had recorded a bunch of random shit on for us. One of the things on there was a short film about a tiny goblin type creature that came out at night and tried to kill a boy. He ends up getting saved by the pet cat. It fucked me up good and I slept with the family car in my room for years after that.

Cat's Eye. The wrap around story (it's an anthology of Stephen King short stories)

Reversed

Plenty of Disney deaths and the ugly looking witch from Snow White. I dunno why the death of Grasshopper from Bugs makes me feel uncomfortable from this day.

Also, I got a belated trauma from watching Frankenstein (the 90s movie). I didn't find it scary but it gave me a motherfuck of a nightmare.

biteren

i also got pretty fucked up from Faces of Death. diddnt sleep that night. probably shoulnt have watched it when i was 10.

jiiikoo

Banned
Pet Sematary. I couldn't sleep for the longest time after seeing it. The dead boy that speaks to the father scared me so much. I think I was about 6 or 7 when I saw it for the first time.

EAPidgeon

What stuck with me was weirdly the disembowlment scene in Shaun of The Dead as a kid. Strange as I loved the movie, but it kept coming up in dreams.

Other contenders:
AI
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Gremlins (really young)

Pet Sematary. I couldn't sleep for the longest time after seeing it. The dead boy that speaks to the father scared me so much. I think I was about 6 or 7 when I saw it for the first time.

Yup~

Both of them fucked me up as a kid. But my older brother loved these movies so we watched them dozens of times. Heck when we got a cat we named her Church. No one got the reference but us haha. Also the dirt bike scene in the second one... ugh.

I always had a trauma/brutally huge dislike for killing kids in movies, even teens so a lot of slasher flicks don't sit well with me. Though my tolerance for it with late teens/college kids is pretty meh.

I would add one of the Conan or Red Sonja movies or movies like that, the scene where they are sacrificing children in the fire pit. Yo fuck that. Maybe it was Beastmaster? I had to watch so many of these 80's swords and sorcery films they blended together.

I clearly had no say in the movies watched as a kid with an older brother lol. My movie of choice was freaking Jurassic Park.

Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County

It was a made for TV "found-footage" movie about a family being terrorized by aliens in their home before "never being seen from again."

It did the found-footage thing before it got popular with the Blair Witch Project I think, and I was so young (probably 9 or 10) I didn't really realize it was a fictional story. It didn't help that they had Riker from Star Trek doing segments after commercial breaks talking about alien autopsies and making it seem like it was a documentary/history channel style show.

That movie fucked me up for a long goddamn time.

Mr_Moogle

The opening couple of minutes of Scream weren't good for me as a 10 year old. I was way too young to understand that the film is a homage to classic slasher movies and not supposed to be taken too seriously.

I wasn't prepared . . . . .

I still haven't gotten over this. I spent the whole movie thinking "he's coming back right?".

bunbun777

5 years old watched the Shining with my parents at my grandparents house. Dad asked if I could handle a scary movie, no regrets but the ghost lady was especially spoopy.

Lucumo

Some movie where ants are killing people, crossing running water via leaves and camera shots of a skeleton in a barn of which the ants ate all the flesh (they showed him getting killed earlier, I think). Not the best one for a kid.

Metalmarc

Oh man i used go annoy my parents when i was sent to bed but theyd be watching films & i wouldnt go sometimes they were horror so they'd say suit yourself and leave me attempt to watch it

I saw Alien & I cant even remember what scene it was, probably the chest burster scene & I flew up the Stairs to my room

Also used to be creeped out by any movie with piles of Skulls & bones even if it wasn't horror, i think because i'd heard that when we die we are reduced to our bones, so i kind of thought there were actual real bones on the T.V, i didnt think about the fact they could be fake, but i was about 8 or 9yrs old.

Also beetlejuice creeped me out even though later on i learned it was like p.g i think, i saw that at 9yrs old too

The first ever movie that creeped me out was when i was 6, first experience in a cinema (my dad previously told me that in scary movies in the cinema they throw bats & spiders at the audience, cos i made a fuss when he went to see a horror film & i wanted to tag along, i was 5yrs old & in the UK at least kids aren't allowed in 15-18 rated movies not even with an adult, so it was his way of stopping me msking a fuss that day) anyway back to my first cinema experience a year later as a 6yr it was E.T, as many others i now found out years later thanks to the internet, i am not alone being creeped out by that movie & mine was made extra scary as i was expecting the experience my dad said, cos it felt like a horror film to little old me, i was wrecked haha

emalord

As a child, I watched "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", my parents weren't at home. I was 9 years old. A couple of scenes really disturbed me. I still recall them.

As an adult, Requiem For A Dream made me cry a river

Oreoleo

I saw Terminator 2 when I was like 5 or 6 and the scenes of judgment day occurring with everyone instantly turning to ash and bone fucked me UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP (My dad's explanation of the scene certainly did not fucking help at all- thanks a lot pops!). For almost a decade afterwards I would have recurring nightmares about ineffectively trying to outrun/hide from the blast.

Now it's my favorite movie. Go figure.

I watched Videodrome with my parents when I was 7 or 8. It didn't really disturb me, but I was very confused at the time.

I was super into Jurassic Park when it came out, and my parents rented Carnosaur for me shortly afterwards -- I must've been 5 or 6 -- and it didn't phase me. I just loved watching dinosaurs wreck shit.

GonzoCR

I had nightmares of the last toon from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That was some scary shit for me as a kid. (Edit: just watched that scene again, still creeped out).

I also find the intro to Beauty and the Beast (the animated movie) to be ridiculously creepy and still get uncomfortable if I hear that music.

I'll also add one that I didn't see as a child, or even see at all, but just thinking about Human Centipede really grossed me out, and continues to.

I only ever watched the trailer and read a synopsis for it, and I regret doing both. It's just such a gross concept down to the core.

Bellamin

Return to Oz.

Expected: Dorothy and pals singing and skipping together on a brand new adventure.

Reality: Fucked up evil queen with a room full of detached heads screaming at Dorothy. Half-men/half-machine wheelers chasing people down.

Nokterian

The Witches

This movie traumatized me as a kid!
giphy.gif

anigif_enhanced-995-1413317151-1.gif

giphy.gif

And also anything with dolls.
I think I remember some kids movie with a doll wich looked similar to the one from Dead Silence which was insanely creepy... but I can't remember the name...

Lots of movies traumatized me even this one also robocop,predator,the thing..i mean i was 10 years old or something, as kids we where parked in front of the tv and watched what was shown.

Top Bottom