• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films you were not emotionally prepared for/traumatized by as a kid

Baleoce

Opening scene to Jaws,
IT in general,
That scene where the woman gets turned into a machine in Superman III

Shaanyboi

Banned
vigo-test-sm.png

I was scared shitless!!!
The scene where his head peeks out, watching Dana? That shit fucked me up. Left me paranoid of any picture with a creepy face like it was watching me.

Also the nanny that grabs baby Oscar with the red eyes? Don't watch that when you're 3.

Mahonay

Banned
Fire in the Sky fucked me up REAL GOOD.

For years I slept with my bed in the corner right up against my wall, fearing that aliens were going to abduct and perform nightmarish experiments on me.

The Cowboy

Short Circuit 2, my younger self was not prepared.

They spend an entire movie showing how Johnny 5 is alive, they also show he is very child like and super trusting - then they have 2 people with crowbars try to beat him to death (whilst a 3rd watches egging them on) whilst Johnny 5 screams "please don't kill me", then they also throw in battery fluid flying of him out like blood!!!.

I was in tears the 1st time i ever watched it.

Redd

Grave of The Fireflies... I wasn't even a kid, more of a teen when I watched it. of course I was thinking "oh, an anime from the folks who did Totoro." when I was going in...

Oh man. Watched it once and will never again. It just went from bad to worse for those kids.

War is brutal.

notsol337

marked forever
When I was 6 years old, I loved space and spaceships. I watched Star Wars and Star Trek quite a bit, and was constantly talking about the stars and the moon.

My dad was flipping through channels, and landed on what was clearly a giant spaceship. I was really excited and asked him if we could watch the space show. Dad said "I do really love this movie" and so we watched it.

I saw Alien for the first time at 6. I could not handle it. I had really bad night terrors for weeks afterward, and I distinctly remember my mother being infuriated with my Dad for not using enough judgement to tell me no.

eso76

Oh, I just remembered something

The company of wolves:

This picture was printed on the back of the VHS box I saw while casually browsing through movies to rent at the local store.

I was 8/9 and this gave me nightmares for months.

(of course though, i still had to rent the video and watch the movie, which iirc consisted of of 7 episodes, each a different take on the werewolf theme and varied greatly in mood and cinematography: dark, humourous, scary, sexy..)

Full transformation scene here, still have a hard time handling it for some reason.

Enjoy this guy peeling his skin off !

Oh and of course this motherfucker right here:

used to love Creepshow as a kid,
Wasn't too scared with the rest of the movie, but this guy just standing (floating, likely) just looking at you through the window...my curtains remained closed for a while.

I would not say it "traumatized" me, but watching Sleepaway Camp at like 10-11 had a memorable effect on me for sure. In particular, the ending. Had that creepy image stuck in my head for a few days.

Otherwise, sure, I watched plenty of other violent movies around the same age, like Robocop, but did not have the effect on me like Sleepaway Camp did.

Jumeira

Banned
RoboCop, the melted man, the guy in the board room getting lit up with chunks of his flesh splattering everywhere. Shook me as a kid, it was awful.

Chucky from Child's play, I wasn't able to sleep anywhere near my sister's dolls.

Michael Jackson's Thriller. That bloodcurdling laugh still haunts me today.

Night of the living dead fucked me up pretty bad as a kid. Childs play gave me nightmares for a while. Batteries not included fucked me up for life.

The Mule

Where the hell were parents/guardians when you lot were watching stuff like Robocop or The Thing at 5-6? wtf

G'mork in Never Ending Story, as well as Artax dying in the swamp. The golden sphinx gates also put the fear of God in me.
Yes, the golden sphinx too. There was something unsettling about the cold dead stare.

Top Bottom