• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films you were not emotionally prepared for/traumatized by as a kid

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The Exorcist when I was 12

Kept me awake for a couple nights, got sick for a week because of that.

Old Yeller.

The boy has to shoot the dog himself after it gets rabies, but before that happened... The dog gets mauled and has to be stitched up. I remember the stitches looking really thick and dark and covering the dog entirely, like it was a bunch of body parts Frankensteined together. Freaked me the fuck out.

dosh

Psycho when I was eight.

Specifically the staircase sequence, and even more specifically that top-down shot when Arbogast gets killed.

Everything about this shot is frightening. I wasn't used to this kind of framing and very slow, careful pacing, and then the music suddenly going "wee-wee-wee"... I wasn't ready for this stuff.

Oppo

was never freaked out by scary moves when I was a kid

but

saw Jacob's Ladder when I was 9

that was a bad idea

faint.

I saw an early screening of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I don't remember how old I was, but I'm 23 now, and that movie fucked me up.

I remember I was 10 and went to go watch Jurassic Park with some friends for one of their birthdays. My eyes were covered the entire time. The funny thing was that I eventually watched again like 2 years later and was fine.

Not a film, but Spongebob Squarepants fucked me up when I was a kid.

An episode about a cute little butterfly? This should be a nice, relaxing-

FHZkvM.gif

Needless to say, I had an unusual phobia ever since.

JonnyKong

It's amazing how we all have our own stories for this question. How did we all as kids get access to such horrific horror films? 🤣

My answer is both IT and Freddy 3, I have no idea how or why I came to watch these, why my family was allowing this, but it definitely fucked me up at the age of 9 or 10.

The Fly (Cronenberg) when I was about... 7?

My uncle exposed me to some pretty out there stuff like The Thing, The Blob etc but The Fly really got to me. Things like the monkey getting turned inside out are so... Meaty. Really disturbed me.

Wood Man

The Fly (Cronenberg) when I was about... 7?

My uncle exposed me to some pretty out there stuff like The Thing, The Blob etc but The Fly really got to me. Things like the monkey getting turned inside out are so... Meaty. Really disturbed me.

Same here. I must've been about 7 too. Freaked me out.

Weevilone

My parents somehow took me to see Boxcar Bertha (1972) at the drive-in. I don't think it was fresh off the press or anything, so probably part of a double-feature. Lots of bad R stuff, but I still have the dude crucified on the side of the car burned into my brain.

I also walked in on a bad scene in Gargoyles (1972) when I was young, not sure how old. I thought they were under my bed for years.

1972 movies were not kind to me.

220px-The_Thing_%281982%29_theatrical_poster.jpg

Think I was like 5 or 6.

Didn't sleep for three days.

Sheeeeit

My mom was a cool mom but maybe too cool. I grew up on horror movies and weird cyberpunk shit from the 80s and 90s.

First film that really got me was Aliens at age 5. Had alien nightmares ever since, to this day (age 32).

Aliens is also my favorite film of all time so go figure.

jelly

After watching 'It' I always faced the wall in bed and feared turning around because he could be right there. That got me good for a little while.

bengraven

American Werewolf in London.

It was supposed to be a comedy. That's why my uncles let me watch it at age 4. They swear.

NastyBook

Prince of Darkness and Dreamscape always stayed with me. PoD for the eerie found footage at the beginning and end of the film, and Dreamscape for the old woman in the opening that was running away from a city that got nuked behind her.

But how do you guys feel when parents are super protective and selective with their 8-9yo kids. Like oh my god, no, you can't let him watch Die Hard.
In my opinion, it's best to not watch too hard over their shoulder, let them feel it out for themselves. Don't make it a crime, but definitely don't encourage them if they like brutal action movies. Play it like you don't like it that they know stuff like that until they are like 14 or so. Then help them see the difference between good stuff, unambitios-fun and bad trash.

StayDead

But how do you guys feel when parents are super protective and selective with their 8-9yo kids. Like oh my god, no, you can't let him watch Die Hard.
In my opinion, it's best to not watch too hard over their shoulder, let them feel it out for themselves. Don't make it a crime, but definitely don't encourage them if they like brutal action movies. Play it like you don't like it that they know stuff like that until they are like 14 or so. Then help them see the difference between good stuff, unambitios-fun and bad trash.

My parents watched terminator with me when I was 9. It scared me a little, but I enjoyed it so much.

eso76

Poltergeist , the face ripping scene and the pool with skeletons which I later found out were real fucked me up!

I watched Poltergeist when I was very small, like 8 or 9.
No problem then.
I would have troubles watching it now, though, knowing how the little girl died :(

But then I have been watching zombies and splatter since very young and while I had no issue with those I do still have nightmares with zombies and stuff, so maybe they did affect me ? :D

The one movie I remember haunted me for a while is Class of 1984. The scene in which teacher Perry King throws the punk student on a circular saw cutting his arm off and then killing him.
I was 8/9 and that was just fucked up.

AHH, yes, that scene in Pinocchio in which Lucignolo turns into a donkey and you see his shadow as he's dragged away. Saw it in theatre, must have been 5.

Daughter saw it at 3/4.
Few days ago she told be she had this dream in which she turned into a donkey like Pinocchio.
I told her I'm sorry, must have been scary.
She said what, no it was great !
: /

+1 for Child's Play. I was terrified of Chucky as a kid, he game me nightmares.

Also Neverending story, Gremlins, and probably many others I'm forgetting now.

Oh, and I was terrified of Alien, without watching it! Just the monster was enough to terrify me, I could never get the nerve to sit down and actually watch it!

RedSwirl

Top Gun. I must have been like 5 and came in right at the part where Goose died. Did not watch it again until I was an adult.

The Relic. I was probably like, 8.

Vyer

I was not ready for the death of all my favorite toys in Transformers: The Movie.

And Neverending Story is just traumatizing.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Officer Murphy's brutal murder in Robocop scarred me as a kid.

Also when Judge Doom killed that clown shoe with dip in Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Kaiterra

Banned
Oh, I remember another one: Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County aka The McPherson Tape. It's that shitty found footage movie about a family that ends up being abducted by aliens, and my dumb-ass kid self thought it was actually real (because I had no idea about "found footage movies" as a genre) and the movie tried incredibly hard to seem real. Like, it had interviews with "UFO experts" and shit to break the found footage segments.

The whole descend into madness vibe, with things getting progressively worse just unsettled me. And then the ending... fuck. It got to me good, and I already had a trauma regarding aliens - it just made it worse. And after the movie "ends", they show pictures of each "disappeared" family member with a telephone number to call if you had any info about them. I was chilled and my trauma sorta got worse for a while :p

This, Fire in the Sky and Communion all had me fucked up and looking over my shoulder constantly. Could not sleep without a night light. Got really big into reading all the UFO conspiracy theory bullshit and was really convinced it was real.

My mom and her boyfriend played a really mean prank on us kids once thanks to this. I was in the backyard with some friends and this thing comes on the TV that is a special feature Fox was running to promote the movie Independence Day prior to its debut, basically a fake news report about the invasion in that movie, and she came running out and going "Quick you have to come see the news, aliens are invading!" And I was legit piss pants shook for the first while because of that, yeesh.

Don't watch AI when you're in you're 15 and depresed as hell and struggling with the realisation of your own mortality.

I don't think I've watched it since (I'm 31) nor do I want to.

Oh and I saw Mars Attacks when I was 11 and the multi coloured skeletons freaked me out big time.

DirtyCase

Robocop 2. I was 6 maybe 7 when I caught the brain stomping scene. Watching that scene combined with my brother telling me where meat came from led to me not eating any meat products for roughly a year. Mostly ate Kraft Dinner, cereal, and pizza. I was not the healthiest 7 year old.

Spenny

E.T. - age 4 - When Elliot finds E.T. In the field and they both scream I used to get very scared. The scene with agents in astronaut suits breaking into their home used to freak me out too.

Halloween - age 6 - my moms work had a party and at one point the kids were told to go to the back room and watch a movie (probably so the adults could do drugs). The oldest kid picked out Halloween and we all watched it. Fucked me up for a while.

tootie923

Salem's Lot. Needless to say, I covered up bedroom window immediately. Also, for some reason my father decided The Exorcist was okay viewing for the under 10 crowd.

giphy.gif

Buckle

Blue Velvet.

Particularly the scene where Dennis Hopper was doing his creepy roleplaying.

First time I think I was genuinely and physically disturbed while watching a movie.

Saw a lot of horror movies as a kid that completely unphased but that... Yeesh.

Elandyll

Banned
Catching a glimpse of The Amityville Horror on tv when I was about 9 or 10.
At some point Margot Kidder is in the kitchen and we can see yellow eyes outsidebin the dark looking in from the window.

Been freaked by glowing eyes in the dark ever since.

Found it:
The-Amityville-Horror-1979-Jody-glowing-eyes.png

KDR_11k

The german animated movie Felidae was kinda fucked up, especially for a 6 years old.

110104040505903367416dyr0z.jpg

Just some examples:
felidae4uirtd.jpg

felidae-deadcgojw.jpg

I remember this one running on TV on evening slots, because hey it's animated so it's for kids.

Yuuuuup. Me and my sister watched that on TV for some reason. Bonus crap fact: The author joined the alt-right.

Daughter saw it at 3/4.
Few days ago she told be she had this dream in which she turned into a donkey like Pinocchio.
I told her I'm sorry, must have been scary.
She said what, no it was great !
: /

Congratulations, your daughter is a furry.

Top Bottom