• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films you were not emotionally prepared for/traumatized by as a kid

I wasn't prepared . . . . .

Transformers the movie. You know why.

The first several minutes with Unicron, right? Completely terrified my 8 year old mind when I saw it on VHS in '87. It was so bad I could not watch that opening scene on re-watch for years and it completely horrified me and at least at one point I remember being behind the couch until the scene was over. Like the Terminator I still get the occasional nightmare for that.

Some horrifying trivia: The Japanese dub added screams for the opening scenes with the terrified and dying Lithonians.

Juken

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I watched Land Before Time when I was 4 and had never watched anything sad before. The movie starts with Littlefoot's mom's death and I was a wreck for days...

Transformers 1986 - in the first like 10 minutes they wipe out like half of the auto bots. Optimus get killed pretty early in it too. There's a feeling of coldness to a lot of the killing that I doubt today's kids movies would have.

I watched Land Before Time when I was 4 and had never watched anything sad before. The movie starts with Littlefoot's mom's death and I was a wreck for days...
Yeah that fucked me up when I first saw it.

Myriadis

The german animated movie Felidae was kinda fucked up, especially for a 6 years old.

110104040505903367416dyr0z.jpg

Just some examples:
felidae4uirtd.jpg

felidae-deadcgojw.jpg

I remember this one running on TV on evening slots, because hey it's animated so it's for kids.

Neith

Banned
I was not traumatized at all. I really really loved A Land Before Time, and I am glad my mom showed it for me. I should have been traumatized by Robocop--my catholic mother thought this was like a normal kid's type of thing LOL--but it actually instilled in me a good set of morals and stuff despite all the horrific violence. Thanks mom!

Neith

Banned
Movies that actually frightened me as a child we all the weird horror films like Freddy and Jason and stuff. That shit was batshit creepy to me as a kid. I could never figure out why people liked that stuff.

cakely

For me, it was Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

I was like, six, but it was wayyy to much for me at the time.

GhaleonEB

Quite a few movies hit me with levels of violence I was utterly not prepared for when I was pretty young.

Robocop and Hard Boiled are two the come to mind, with the former fucking me up for a while and the latter just leaving me kind of numb. I'd never seen that much violence in a film before and while it was awesome I couldn't really take it all in.

Watership Down. I mean, duh.

A couple graphic depictions of violence still fuck me up and I think of them at random points in time and get angry about them. The two that haunt me are Quint's death in Jaws, and the soldier slowly stabbed through the chest in Schindler's List (thanks, Spielberg!).

The demonic firefighter clown in The Brave Little Toaster. Like, what the fuck were they thinking? It didn't even really have a purpose in the film.

Seriously though, I didn't get to watch much "edgy" stuff as a kid, The most I got to see was the Indiana Jones trilogy when I was 7 and I love those movies.

giphy.gif

Did not expect this when I was 10.

I remember a math teacher in high school let us watch this (the movie was already a good few years old by that point) and one kid was so startled that he fell in his chair backwards. One of the funniest things that happened in high school.

I went and saw Batman Returns in theaters and had to leave after this
giphy.gif

Something about it really disturbed me back then. I see it now and it's just a nasty DeVito biting some dudes nose but when I was young I thought he bite his nose OFF. I can still feel my stomach reeling...

Edit- Maybe a little more in line with emotionally unprepared for, I found and watched a copy of Deepthroat when I was like 7 or 8. Definitely wasn't prepared for that...

weepy

Marv's electrocution scene in Home Alone 2. My big sister took me to the theater and when I seen it, it kinda fucked up my whole evening. Also, there's another electrocution scene in The Green Mile that was even worse. Again, witnessed it at the movies. Man...

pushbyte

Neo Member
I watched the first 5 minutes of Plague Dogs as a kid and had to shut it off. A few months ago I picked it up again, thinking I'd finally be ready for it, and instead turned it off after roughly the same amount of time.

Poltergeist. That movie was rated PG. My parents rented it thinking "Oh, poltergeist means friendly ghost." Much trauma ensued. My sister had a clown doll that immediately went into the attic for literally 5 years.

D6AMIA6N

Watched most of The Exorcist once when I was 8 or 9.

I couldn't sleep for days, and haven't seen it since.

I'm 39

Also, Aliens, The Amityville Horror '79, Robocop, Revenge of the Nerds ( I had never seen that much T&A in my young life, it was awesome/scary/exciting?), Platoon, probably a bunch more

Most were watched at my cousins house who had HBO and Cinemax

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That scene in Spiderman where the spider bites Peter, PRETTY sure that that gave me arachnophobia that still persists to this day.

Ralemont

not me
Ernest Scared Stupid. Parents had to turn the movie off because I was so petrified I couldn't get up and do it myself. The director later said in an interview that the movie bombed because he stupidly made the troll way too scary for the target audience:

584c620cac4fb_scared-stupid_main_troll.jpg

HercRaato

For me there were 3 that stick in my mind.

The Wizard of Oz the flying monkeys tearing apart the scarecrow. I had to be younger than 5 watching it on tv with my parents. I avoided that scene for years when it was on tv.

Bambi I cried when his mom was killed, again I was younger than 5 or 6. Went to the movie theatre with my Mom to seethe this one.

The last is Rosemary's Baby. I was probably 7 or 8 when I saw that one. Talk about messing up a kids head.

the movie KIDS about HIV. That was hard.

Another one I cant remember but it was disturbing, and had a just a colorful eyeball on the cover. Wish I could remember what it was but I remember watching it and being like "I only need to see that once"

Edit: It was Requiem for a Dream.

Surprised of all the horror movie posts. Those never bothered me but stories about real life depressing scenarios hit me the most.

woopWOOP

The Butcher Boy though was a film my dear mother left me to watch on my own when I was home sick from school with a low grade fever thinking it was a nice Irish film about a red head boy just like me. The film chronicles the insane period of a 12 year old boy's life in the 1960s after his mother commits suicide from severe depression and his alcoholic father is basically MIA. He gets into trouble for smearing shit all over the walls of his mean neighbor lady's house writing PIG with it and is sent to reform school where he's molested by a priest. He then has hallucinations of Virgin Mary played by Sinead O'Connor, returns home where his dad shortly thereafter drinks himself to death and he just leaves his body chillin in the parlor to be eaten by flies and maggots. He also talks to him. Almost immediately losses all grip on reality and takes the bolt gun from the butcher shop he worked at and kills his mean neighbor lady with it, smears her blood all over her walls like he did previously with his shit, decapitates her and tosses her head in pile of rotting cabbages to be found by even younger boys playing in the back alley.
THANK YOU
I've caught the final 1/4th or so of this movie a long time back while flipping channels and the scenes of the boys finding the head in the well and the main character being all grown up at the end really stuck with me, but I never figured out what the movie was called. I think I even asked about it on here in some "help me find movie" thread to no avail.
Gonna have to give this a full watch sometime soon :D

Oh and on-topic, The Thing definitely scared 11 year old me, but I couldn't stop sneakingly watch it past midnight and Robocop's mutant henchman being splashed like a water balloon was stand out gross.

Nepenthe

Fluke.

Fluke_poster.jpg

Aww look, it's gonna be a cute movie about a puppy going home-- what the fuck?

Puppy is actually a reincarnated man. Realizes this once he grows into an adult. After his friend with the same condition dies in a botched animal lab escape, he runs off to find his actual wife and son. Cue a second act that's nothing but this poor dog trying to communicate that he was once the husband/father to his wife and child respectively amidst the most heart-tugging orchestral score they could wrought. Then enter a business partner who the dog believes killed him and caused him to reincarnate. After deliberately causing a car accident, dog realizes that he was once a shitty person and the partner he almost killed makes a better husband and father than he did.

I've never trusted a film's box art since.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
THANK YOU
I've caught the final 1/4th or so of this movie a long time back while flipping channels and the scenes of the boys finding the head in the well and the main character being all grown up at the end really stuck with me, but I never figured out what the movie was called. I think I even asked about it on here in some "help me find movie" thread to no avail.
Gonna have to give this a full watch sometime soon :D

Oh and on-topic, The Thing definitely scared 11 year old me, but I couldn't stop sneakingly watch it past midnight and Robocop's mutant henchman being splashed like a water balloon was stand out gross.

Glad I could help. I desperately want to know the name of the second film I saw. I never got to actually see the whole thing because my Mom noticed the practically naked dead woman hanging in the basement scene and kicked me, and my friend who was also there, out to review it and never let us finish it.

The other crazy thing about The Butcher Boy is that the whole thing has this weird upbeat narration and joyful Irish tunes playing in the background while all this horrendous shit is going on. It's a great and bizarre movie, but not at all something I was expecting or ready to watch that day.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I watched the scene in the church from Kingsman with my 16 month old daughter the other day, she just sucked her thumb and blankly stared, I wonder if that's gonna end up in her subconscious somewhere. She's probably starting to get to the age where we can't just keep whatever we want on the TV any more huh.

Top Bottom