• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you complain about neighbourly noise or just let it be?

Jindrax

So last night at one am I was woken by the sound of my upstairs neighbors TV ... I was going to let it go but after lying there for half an hour it was driving me insane. So I go up and knock. Ring the doorbell. Nothing.

At this point my anger gets the better of me and I start kicking his door until he comes and open it. He then tells me it's not him and i have the wrong house... I go back to my room and magically no more TV... Prick.

But anyway flashforward to this morning my mother was telling off for making a scene and I should have just left it because now things will be awkward. This baffles me... Okay maybe I should have been more diplomatic about it but not say anything ???

Boem

I mean kicking someone's door does sound like taking it too far. That would put someone straight into the nutjob category for me honestly.

He may not have even been aware his tv was too loud. Can't blame someone for not answering the door in the middle of the night, I've gotten my share of random drunk guys that I just ignore.

Syf

Banned
I mean I wouldn't start kicking their door but sure I'll complain if they're being unreasonable. Bass is the worst for me.

Gastone

Nah, never. I can handle the odd lawnmower or high-pressure power washers on a sunday morning from the neighbors.

Jindrax

I mean kicking someone's door does sound like taking it too far. That would put someone straight into the nutjob category for me honestly.

Fantastic. If they think I'm insane they'll watch their volume in the middle of the night on a Tuesday.

Always let it be.

Meanwhile the dickhead who lives above me makes up noise in his head to come and blame me about. I don't know if he's got bad tinnitus or what, but multiple times this year, the arse has come down and hammered on my door complaining about noise...when I've been lying in bed trying to sleep, making no noise at all. Frankly, he's lucky I don't know what noise he thinks I'm making, or I'd do it deliberately.

ZanDatsu

I consider it my own responsibility to avoid being bothered by a noisy environment. I sleep wearing ear protectors every night, and that's only because I sleep with my fan on. It just has the natural side-effect of also blocking every other noise from outside.

ae235

Live and let live is my motto. Unless it becomes too unreasonable of course. My neighbors in the appartement upstairs have a baby that cries pretty loudly sometimes, in the middle of the night too. Then they have two dogs that go nuts every time someone passes our block, often I don't need to set an alarm because the dogs barking will wake me just fine.

I don't make a huge deal out of it, it also means I don't feel guilty when I'm watching a movie or playing a game with the music turned up really loud from time to time. Haven't heard anybody complain about that either.

danowat

Banned
I consider it my own responsibility to avoid being bothered by a noisy environment. I sleep wearing ear protectors every night, and that's only because I sleep with my fan on. It just has the natural side-effect of also blocking every other noise from outside.

ae235

Holy shit, you sleep in those?

One neighbor I asked politely one night and she hasn't really been an issue since.

My other neighbor was an issue he would play his death metal loud as possible at 1 am. He clearly wasn't the type to listen so I called the landlord who called him and he claimed it wasn't him, he continued to be loud, I called on him three more times. Nothing.

The fourth time I called the cops on him and they talked to him, he quieted down for a couple of days. Then he did it again for like 4 days straight so I called the cop and this time they came while he was being loud and that silenced him. But the next day I got a note on my door calling me n asshole and a nutless punk for calling the cops on him.

He hasn't really been loud since.

Before him I had neighbors that had very loud/moany sex, I didn't complain about them because well that's awkward and it isn't like the sex lasted long.

gamz

I let it go and ignore it. My Wife doesn't.

She'll confront the source of the problem immediately. LOL

ZanDatsu

And that's comfortable?

Luckily I live in a small village in the middle of nowhere, and all I can hear at night is Barn Owls.

It's more comfortable without them, but it's a choice between hearing my fan and being woke up early by noise, or sleeping with these while hearing nothing and waking up when I want to. I'm a light sleeper so these help a lot, totally used to them now.

I cut in a line of mercury to their tap water. It's easy to do when they're at work or asleep. The most expensive part is the mercury.

Then they quiet down progressively until I have a new neighbor.

At least, that's what I used to do. Now nobody will move in near me and the local children call me "hombre muerto", which I believe means "quiet neighbor." My landlord won't even speak to me and sends all of their correspondence rolled in the collar of a black cat, the only creature that does not flee from my appearance.

venomenon

Depends. If someone is blasting music in the middle of the night on multiple occasions, I will definitely complain and have done so in the past.

With other noises, I realise I'm hypersensitive because of misophonia and usually don't complain. I did when my upstairs neighbours' constant jumping, trampling and slamming of doors from 6am to 11pm started heavily affecting me mentally and physically but in the end I just moved. People this inconsiderate are probably not understanding anyway.

Gotta remember that mercury way of handling things next time.

spuckthew

Depends what it is and how frequent. Last night for example at around 8pm I heard what sounded like someone hammering (like DIY stuff). It was weird and kind of inappropriate for the time of day, but I figured it wouldn't go on for long or be a regular thing so I didn't say anything.

On the other hand, one time on a Saturday at 6.50am I got woken up by the washing machine of the person above me and I went upstairs to ask them not to use it that early on weekends. Haven't heard it that early since.

Luckily I haven't had real bad luck with noisy neighbors, and may it continue!

Dishwalla

Banned
Anything short of like gunfire I'd probably let it be. I can sleep through a lot really, picked it up from being on a Navy ship, where noise is always present.

I ignore it if it happens from time to time, rarely.
If it's a regular thing, or if it's incredibly irritating, I'd probably go talk to them.
Hasn't happened so far though.
I think I have a high tolerance, unlike my insane neighbors.
I can see myself confronting them next time they wake me by screaming "PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO SLEEP" to silence a party upstairs.

Let it be. We live in a house so we don't care. My neighbor will repair his cars early in the morning and sometimes that's like revving the engine or whatever, but it's not a big deal. It's like an alarm clock, woo woo.

jb1234

I have a grand piano in my living room. My neighbors can make all the noise they want (at least up to 10 pm).

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Nah

Although i had a neighbour start mowing his lawn at 9am on a saturday when id gotten back from a night shift at work at 7am

Who is up on saturday at 9?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I cut in a line of mercury to their tap water. It's easy to do when they're at work or asleep. The most expensive part is the mercury.

Then they quiet down progressively until I have a new neighbor.

At least, that's what I used to do. Now nobody will move in near me and the local children call me "hombre muerto", which I believe means "quiet neighbor." My landlord won't even speak to me and sends all of their correspondence rolled in the collar of a black cat, the only creature that does not flee from my appearance.

Thanks for the lifehack dude. Can't wait to try this!

EGM1966

I'll complain if noise warrants it. I'll always try and be nice about it but if necessary I'm quite willing to escalate if the other party won't discuss a sensible compromise.

My basic principle is live and let live and compromise sensibly unless the other guy won't play ball.

I never just ignore noise that interrupts my life though.

RMI

Banned
I've had neighbors play music so loud it rattled my windows. You better believe I went right over there and complained. Next time it happened I went to the management. Then one time people were fighting (physically, not just yelling) in the next door apartment and on the landing, at midnight on a Sunday, so I called the police.

Escalate your complaints in a logical fashion.

SummitAve

Banned
Would you want somebody kicking your door when you are watching tv? That's all you have to ask yourself. Just get ear plugs if it's a problem.

Stalk

I started to have words with a neighbour after they were playing their music late, turns out parts of the wall between my room and their room below are kinda hollow, so the noise carried perfectly.

Walked down, opens the door, blood shot red eyes and just kinda monged out. I had a stern word and then he never really did it again except once or twice but only for like twenty minutes sometimes.

(the more annoying habit is him smoking weed at 3am during the summer when I have to leave the windows open, and it being a strong enough smell to wake me up)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I punch through the wall between our apartments, reach through the newly made hole and start grabbing stuff off their walls and throwing it to the ground.

Ragnaroz

Nah

Although i had a neighbour start mowing his lawn at 9am on a saturday when id gotten back from a night shift at work at 7am

Who is up on saturday at 9?
People who don't work night shifts?

Anyway, to answer the thread, no, I've never done anything of the sort. Then again, my hearing is pretty bad, so it's hard to bother me with noise.

I live in a nice neighbourhood that is very quiet and seems to be mostly middle aged people.

My neighbours are great and have even come over to apologise for their grandkids being loud when in the garden, which they're not.

Christ, we are far louder then them.

13ruce

Banned
Only if it is continued. I blast splatoon (or just radio or music from spotify) music while i workout sometimes lol and they never complain so if they blast out music sometimes why should i.

Unless they do it like at midnight for a week+ well then i will probably say something about it but if it's just a rare party here or there or just music to enjoy sometimes. Why should i complain?

gatling

Note this is a nice complex. I had a continual problem last year with constant loud bass from next door. Like at 5:30 when she got ready for work, right when she got home. Every day non stop. I was starting to get headaches. Waited, talked to her with an exchange that was pleasant. It worked for a while, then continued. Went to management over a period of 2 months. Never changed.

Moved down two floors. Not because of her, but smaller apt because roommate left. Very very quiet. I forgot what quiet was like. So nice. Until someone operated an illegal tattoo parlor out of his bedroom. It was also speculated to being used as an airbnb. Constant weird buzzing at 2 am. 3 neighbors got him evicted for breaking policies. Now its quiet again.

EVOL 100%

I let it be. Then again I sing and play guitar, I'd have to be massively hypocritical to say anything.

It sure is a godsend living in a house and not have to deal with noise and feel like I'm walking in eggshells all the time myself.

Top Bottom