• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Valve making SOB, open world space game, concept art leaks [Update: Post 117]

Derrick01

Banned
Just make it like SWG pre NGE.

Yup, that's the problem every MMO now wants WOW money, so they try and copy the same old themepark design.

A MMO where you didn't have to quest and save the world/galaxy and just take up some small time job if you wanted to would be more refreshing to play. I hope they don't go as far as Eve though because as I said people will always find a way to ruin things for other players if given enough freedom.

Mrbob

Space DOTA incoming?

The real description, if true, is mouth watering. Please be true! I'm not going to get my hopes up and treat this as fan fiction until confirmed by Valve.

Zzoram

Valve is remaking EVE?

Ok, I guess. I hope it isn't some barebones F2P game that nickel and dimes us for features.

And please don't bring up TF2. It started life as part of TOB then became a standalone game, and was only monetized later in order to continue community support. It's a severe outlier in terms of both success and quality of F2P games.

DOTA2 is F2P and is feature complete without paying anything.

chiablo

cGQIn.jpg

sflufan

Banned
What if somehow this was tied to the Half-Life universe? For example, other parts of the Combine Transuniversal Union?

If this is true then I hope it isn't similar to Star Citizen. I would just hate to see the guys behind that game getting overshadowed by a similar Valve game.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Valve?... Open World Space Sim?...

Take my money, all of it!

wrowa

Great-looking art.

Also, if true it's kind of funny to see the space genre gain popularity again all of a sudden.

whatever it is that art looks fantastic. I'm not going to get too excited, though, considering this is a leak and the game is likely still ages off.

RealMeat

Banned
If THIS is the reason HL3's been taking so long... I'd actually be OK with that, it sounds amazing. Hopefully it comes out some time this decade.

Anustart

Those ships are obviously different versions of the borealis after each of its event horizon jumps.

We don't need eyes to see where were going.

I have no clue how this could end up, but that concept art is hot.

Actually the more I think about this, the more I realize how great my desire for an open world space game is.

eot

Banned
Valve is remaking EVE?

Ok, I guess. I hope it isn't some barebones F2P game that nickel and dimes us for features.

And please don't bring up TF2. It started life as part of TOB then became a standalone game, and was only monetized later in order to continue community support. It's a severe outlier in terms of both success and quality of F2P games.

It doesn't sound anything like EVE.

EVE is just a bunch of systems that facilitate interaction between players, you can't compare it to a single player game just because it's a space game. I guess this could be a multiplayer game too but I still doubt it will be even remotely similar to EVE.

No credible source, nothing to see here folks. The images prove nothing; we've actually seen them months ago.

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1217651&p=38008766&viewfull=1#post38008766

Here we go again with another groundless rumor from the community!

An inside source? Is it your grandma?

The images in the OP were lifted from MY album of SOB concept art http://imgur.com/a/AiCRE#0 uploaded SEVEN MONTHS AGO and with 60,000 views - They're from my album for two reason: 1.) I added the "may or may not be SOB" text and 2.) you can see the flash navigation arrows at the bottom of the images as a result of my lifting them from Peter Konig's portfolio http://www.peterhkonig.com/, and it looks like most of the images are still on there.

I also emailed Peter seven months ago asking about the images and he said:

Some of it is mine, not all. Can't comment on it either way.... Some of it is on my site now, so it can't be toooo sensitive, now can it?

And the name is bullshit. Someone is just trying to build credibility with their rumor by giving "SOB" a name. But it's bullshit.

More resources:

http://www.valvetime.net/threads/pe...-unknown-valve-ip-sob-and-left-4-dead.181897/ - Initial findings

http://lambdageneration.com/posts/f...sob-and-a-possible-half-life-prototype-level/ - Brief clip of "SOB" in Gray Horsfield's demo reel.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
2 pages and no frytakemymoney.gif yet? For shame.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
The art looks good, I like the idea, and Valve has consistently made great games. But if it's an MMO, it will be a tougher sell to me.

slider

Hah, saw this on N4G earlier but ignored it because a) it was N4G, b) it was at 90 degrees and c) I'd never heard of the source site.

I'm very interested.

Even if it's an MMO, it's Valve, so it's likely to be F2P. So if your issue with it being an MMO is because of the cost then I don't think you have anything to worry about. I could go either way but I highly doubt it will be a purely single-player game.

Top Bottom