• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Valve making SOB, open world space game, concept art leaks [Update: Post 117]

Fake or not, I'd just like to express my full support of a game where you guide spirit breaker as he travels through space ramming random planets for kicks.

I honestly would not shed a tear if Valve just cancelled all other games and just made spinoffs for Dota characters. QoP's game would be pretty saucy.

dota 2, flimshaw, pish posh, it's being made by the community, look at all the crap the community is selling which valve gets a cut of. Not as if valve designed all the characters and the single map either, they're merely rebuilding a game that already exists. And portal 2? well, i guess after the narbacular drop team members left someone had to make it.

I'll make sure to tell the programmer from Valve I know who works on TF2 that he isn't actually doing anything and might as well just quit. Right after I tell him about a bug and he fixes it and ships it the next patch.

wrowa

And portal 2? well, i guess after the narbacular drop team members left someone had to make it.
So, Kim Swift is now the entirety of the Natbacular Drop team? Good to know.

How much she had to do with Portal's quality is quite apparent by the blandness of her new game. Both Portal games are team efforts, reducing it to single persons is ridiculous.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
If true, whatever happens don't lie to us valve about choosing our own journey and the lumping everyone together with a three option ending regardless of what you did in the games.

Though regardless, more Sci-Fi games the better!

Haunted

lkhi6.gif

Open world space game with capital ships is fantastic. Gaming needs more epic space operas. Infinite Space :bow.

edit: even if this turns out to be nothing but König's portfolio, seeing what Valve's concept artists are producing is also fun.

Please get the guy making the Infinity engine or at the very least a true 1:1 scale. An open-world space game is not complete if I don't get to do this:
ibepaP8L6bNAgX.gif

Apath

Holy shit if true. Day 1 for me.

Amazing how Valve and Blizzard have pulled a complete 180 on my perception of them over the past few years.

diamount

Banned
Open world

Space

Valve

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!!?!??!

Yeah, this is like a 360 degree turn in terms of game development as all of their games have been first person in some form or another even though they vary drastically. This is just on another plane of existence.

Waaghals

So, Dishonored, a new Xcom game, a new space game from the wing commander creator and a space game from valve?!

Maybe there is something to this 2012 stuff.

sinxtanx

that must be a massive ship for that planet to actually be planet-sized

Actually, in the video, the spaceship is just moving really fucking fast. Persective on that scale really messes with your perception.

EDIT: @br0ken Don't be like that, our explanations complete each other's. Together we are strong.

DiscoJer

In case anyone else didn't know, "Barathrum" means "pit, abyss / the underworld" (it's Latin)

I had heard that name used a couple times before (as names), but had no idea it meant anything.

VALIS

What is it with all the irrational fear of MMOs?

Most of them are filled with assholes and cheaters, but most importantly, they cease to be functioning products/works of art once everyone goes somewhere else and the servers are shut off. There should be a golden rule of game design that every game must have a single player mode so that when this hobby matures and there is frequent discussion and analyzation of the art form and its past, these games will actually still exist in some form.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
What is it with all the irrational fear of MMOs?

I have no idea. If it is hatred for grinds or what have you then I can completely understand, but if the sole excuse is because there are other people playing it as well then it doesn't make much sense. Any game that is available to play online can be perceived as an MMO - even moreso in the past few years where unlocks and RPG stats have become the norm.

Most of them are filled with assholes and cheaters, but most importantly, they cease to be functioning products/works of art once everyone goes somewhere else and the servers are shut off. There should be a golden rule of game design that every game must have a single player mode so that when this hobby matures and there is frequent discussion and analyzation of the art form and its past, these games will actually still exist in some form.

A lot of MMOs are supported through private servers, as are many FPS games from yesteryear. But I can understand your viewpoint.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dota 2, flimshaw, pish posh, it's being made by the community, look at all the crap the community is selling which valve gets a cut of. Not as if valve designed all the characters and the single map either, they're merely rebuilding a game that already exists. And portal 2? well, i guess after the narbacular drop team members left someone had to make it.

Haha I love when this argument comes up

The OP in facepunch's thread, the source of these news, realized his mistake and requested the closure of his thread: http://i.imgur.com/w9gOA.png

The OP of this thread should be edited as well, because it's misleading to call 7 month old concept art images publicly available as recently leaked :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
There were some rumors that Valve was making open world game... this could be it.

I like it, hopefully it will not have subscription.

I seriously doubt Valve would ever make a game with a subscription model.

Top Bottom