• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Valve making SOB, open world space game, concept art leaks [Update: Post 117]

Zaptruder

Banned
Yeah I could dig this.

As long as one half of the game is focused on space, and the other half on constructing stuff on planet surfaces (ala Minecraft).

Imagine a persistent Minecraft universe where you travel to each planet via an elaborate space star system.

Holy crapamungas.

It'd be basically OASIS described by Ernest Cline in Ready Player One.

No credible source, nothing to see here folks. The images prove nothing; we've actually seen them months ago.

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1217651&p=38008766&viewfull=1#post38008766

Related to "the community trolling the community".

The news come from 4chan's /v/. http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1217651&p=38003436&viewfull=1#post38003436
The images are 7 months old. Not a single one of them is new. Many of them may not even be from this game/project as they are simply copy-pasted from an ex-Valve employee's portfolio. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43127146&postcount=91

Nothing to see here.

edit: It's like copy-pasting the 5 year old HL2:EP3 concept arts as proof, writing that "an insider source told me HL2:EP3 has time travel elements and takes place in 2222", and people believing this crap.

quoting for a new page. show's over folks

Like people have said before the idea of Valve reviving the space genre would be awesome.

But come on Gabe and make a new Half life. If the core Valve team doesn't want to make it then find a outside team to do the heavy lifting like L4D and CS:GO.

Plenty of talented teams out there can make seesaw puzzles.

Yeah I could dig this.

As long as one half of the game is focused on space, and the other half on constructing stuff on planet surfaces (ala Minecraft).

Imagine a persistent Minecraft universe where you travel to each planet via an elaborate space star system.

Holy crapamungas.

It'd be basically OASIS described by Ernest Cline in Ready Player One.

Notch is already making this.

Zaptruder

Banned

Oh, 0x10c is going to feature a minecraft component?

There's really not been that much detail released, but yes, they would seem like the logical gaming company to make such a thing if such a thing is to be made.

Shame that notch likes atrociously shit graphics - but I'm sure modders will come in and make things look respectable like with Minecraft.

*edit*

Hmm. Graphics don't look Minecraft bad out of the box. There could even be potential once he shows off a well designed space ship. And again, I'm sure modders will come in to make it look swank anyway.

Holy crap. That's going to be pretty farkin' awesome.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_mbr1rpcfky1rtaf8o5u.jpg

It's a remake of the Andromeda.

injurai

Banned
Wow this sounds incredible. I know we all want HL3, but it will be so much better if comes out deep into next gen. Plus I'm all for new IP's especially from Valve.

Sentenza

I don't care at all if this rumor is accurate in any detail, I just want to know if this supposed game ("SOB") exists or not.
I still hope it's a real thing, because that art direction gives me a massive boner.

Sentenza

now gaf hates MMOs?
Many people always hate MMOs. I personally find them mostly unappealing for their focus on time sinks and repetition, but I'm not totally closed to the genre.
And yet I'm not sure why everyone is focusing on the "MMO" bit, when that's simply a made-up speculation from the guy who wrote that article.

heyitsphil

Neo Member
This would be day 1 for me. I played Freelancer for years online and EVE almost as much but have fallen out of it recently. If they could successfully make a freelancer eve hybrid i think it would blow up. Hell it doesnt even have to be an MMO players could set up servers with huge player caps like they did in Freelancer and it would still be sweet.

Looking forward to further information.

I wish someone would remake Elite. The best game ever developed imo, hate to think how many hundreds of hours I put into that game. Freelancer was the nearest to it I've seen but there was a crappy plot that got in the way of your trading/piracy.

I want to fire up a Cobra Mark III again!!!

(._.)

Banned
Sounds like a Mass Effect game that isn't corny and complete crap. Only I'm guessing this is like a strategy game and not in first person?

Randdalf

quoting for a new page. show's over folks

Regardless of whether this "leak" is fake or not, the images are real concept art by a Valve artist, and we know that Valve is working on a game abbreviated SOB (from stuff found in gamefiles), which is set in space. Obviously somebody got imaginative with that information, but it's pretty much certain that Valve has or had a space-themed game in development.

Top Bottom