• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlander - Season 3 - Sundays on Starz

Stiler

Interesting premise. How much does the show deal with the time traveling / sci-fi aspects?

It's the basis of the story, her being a woman out of time and having to learn/adjust to living in this world while being torn not only between two men but two men in different times.

However like said above, it doesn't really get into "explaining" the time travel thing or how it works, it's more of a mysticism rather then science.

The show itself is more about the characters and setting (Scotland 1740's) and drama.

Just started watching this on Netflix, finished 3 eps. The main character is so beautiful, dear Lord. <3 A Goddess. Digging the entire storyline and taking this slowly. Gotta watch that Viking Lost Kingdom show next, but gotta finish the first 2 seasons of this first. Very fun so far. Lawd, that priest is such a dickhead lol..

Very good episode this week.
They're going through history, at least with Claire's side, faster than I expected they would. Hope we see more of Claire working at the hospital before she goes back through time.

Also, RIP Frank :(

Excellent episode. I watched it back to back with last night's Halt and Catch Fire. I can't handle all these feels.

Oh my goodness Ep3 was good.

Episode was really good. Glad the show is back.

Last nights ep was great, so much happening.

RIP Frank, sad to see him go, the actor that plays him was fantastic and I was looking forward to seeing him more since his "past" character was killed off.

I must have watched a different episode than you all did. I thought there were some good parts but overall this was a weaker episode with some glaring faults in it. One, everyone acts out of character when the mistress shows up. Let's face it, that girl sees the door open and would have said, 'Oh I think I have the wrong address, so sorry.' and then left. Or Claire would have said, 'Frank, please get her out of here.' But dragging the girl into the house while you break up your party because she showed up? L.O.L. So poorly done. And so completely unlike Claire.

Then Frank dying just felt like 'welp, not sure how to solve this corner I've written myself into, so... car crash!'

The Jamie stuff was good though.

Stiler

I must have watched a different episode than you all did. I thought there were some good parts but overall this was a weaker episode with some glaring faults in it. One, everyone acts out of character when the mistress shows up. Let's face it, that girl sees the door open and would have said, 'Oh I think I have the wrong address, so sorry.' and then left. Or Claire would have said, 'Frank, please get her out of here.' But dragging the girl into the house while you break up your party because she showed up? L.O.L. So poorly done. And so completely unlike Claire.

The Jamie stuff was good though.

I agree that the mistress scene was a bit over the top, I was mainly talking about the Jamie stuff since that was what the show focused the ep on mainly. I found it quite enjoyable seeing these two characters start off one way and then grow over the episode as the years passed and how their relationship changed.

hythloday

I agree that the mistress scene was a bit over the top, I was mainly talking about the Jamie stuff since that was what the show focused the ep on mainly. I found it quite enjoyable seeing these two characters start off one way and then grow over the episode as the years passed and how their relationship changed.

After letting it marinate for 24 hours, I still think it was a great episode, but once again Claire's half is eclipsed by Jaime's.

I agree that the mistress showing up was silly. I kinda get it though. From the beginning, they've made Frank a lot more sympathetic as a TV character. He's taken a lot of shit with Claire leaving and coming back with another man's child, then being emotionally absent once she returned. I think this was an attempt to let him lob a good "fuck you" back at Claire. Book readers in general are a lot less sympathetic to Frank (no spoilers for future shows here, just comparing what we already saw)
Claire resents but never mentions or complains about Frank's infidelity, and he doesn't mention it either. "Sandy" isn't his only affair by any means. He's tolerant but not enthused about Claire's career as a doctor. During the fight you find out at some point one of Frank's mistresses came to Claire personally to ask her to divorce him, because he wouldn't do it himself. It culminates in the fight where Frank finally asks for his divorce. He gets a little meaner, accusing Claire of fucking Joe Abernathy and telling her he's got to get Brianna out of America before she marries one of Joe's sons (or grandson) that she's getting "too friendly" with. I think it was wise to leave the racial stuff out of the TV show! Brianna is still only 17 in the book during the fight scene and would have had to finish school in England and wouldn't have been able to choose to stay or go, being a minor. In the TV show, Brianna being 18 could choose where to go, and I think that was another dagger at Claire, since she would have been absent a lot during medical school and as a surgeon. It emphasizes that Brianna was closer to her father than her mother as a result, which Claire probably resented.
Small, small differences, but it changes the tone a bit.

Jaime's scenes on the other hand carried a lot more emotion. We found out what happened to Murtagh! I thought I was sure I saw his body in one of the Culloden aftermath scenes.

This is the episode I've been looking forward too (okay, one of many) because my favorite character in the series is Lord John Grey. I think they did really well casting David Berry and I'm eager to see more of him.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was a pretty good episode, even if they didn't show much about Claire going to school. As for the mistress, I think it was more to drive home how far apart they are, what Claire is willing to put up with and why Frank does not leave.

I enjoyed the Jamie parts, and I thought it was a good reminded of what happened to Jamie when Grey touched his hand. You could literally see Jamie tense up. It's nice that they haven't forgotten and a good way to show how it's always with him.

While they aren't doing summaries this season, Tom & Lorenzo did do a bit on Claire's ep 1 wardrobe. While it is wardrobe focused, they always tie it to themes and characters.

Maffis

Really enjoying this season so far. I had no idea that the story would spend the majority of it's time with Claire and Jamie being above middle aged.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Of Lost Things

While serving as a groomsman at Helwater, Jamie is pulled into the intrigue of the British family. In 1968, Claire, Brianna, and Roger struggle to trace Jamie's whereabouts, leaving Clarie to wonder if they will ever find him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's a bit jarring that Claire is already caught up to the "present" timeline but Jaime still has a ways to go yet. Jaime's storyline this season has been far more compelling than Claire's - it almost makes you think that they couldn't come up with an interesting enough "in the meantime..." arc for her, so they just jumped right ahead to the end.

At any rate, Jamie is more than capable of carrying the show by himself and that continued this week with the story of his time as a servant which ultimately lead to him fathering a(nother) child for the first time. I thought was very sweet and I wonder how long it will be before he is able to reunite with Willy?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Haven't watched Episode 4 yet but man this show is blazing through the years. I expected then to linger on this in-between time more than they have. I'll watch 4 tonight, need a break from the melancholy. Lol

I watched the first five episodes of the first season back when it was airing, and I stopped. The slow pacing was just killing me. Does it get better or is it still the same?

Gin-Shiio

I think this was my favorite episode of the season yet. This show keeps on surprising me, I had never expected the woman to die after giving birth. While they did not outright say so, I feel the scenes shared between her and Jamie showed that he had taken a liking to her, and it's not difficult to see her resemblence to Claire both in looks and personality.
Jamie is an unaging demon.

Solid episode. I'm really enjoying the season so far.

Tell me about it. I think that among all three seasons, this one has had the strongest start yet.

I watched the first five episodes of the first season back when it was airing, and I stopped. The slow pacing was just killing me. Does it get better or is it still the same?

"Better" is subjective in this case, as some of us enjoy the slower pacing. That said, things won't change too much in that regard, so the show might not be for you.

It's inconsistent. It will be slow for a while, then go gangbusters.

I nearly quit Season 1 for unrelated reasons
a lot of sexual violence
but glad I stayed with it. This season is pretty great so far.

sammex

Really loved that episode. Who knew Jamie was the real star of this show? After 2 seasons of being more invested in Claire, it's taken 4 episodes to completely turn that on it's head. Like Ratsky said his material is far more interesting/compelling.

Sir Doom

Beginning of the episode I was ready for Claire and her daughter to go back in time, but Jaimie’s episode and his new position made me forget that.

That was great episode it’s like a side story of Outlander. Self contained episode

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Freedom & Whisky

Brianna grapples with life-changing revelations and Claire must help her come to terms with the fact that she is her father's daughter. Roger brings news that forces Claire and Brianna to face an impossible choice.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was a fantastic episode!
We all knew Claire was capable of carrying an episode, but it was high time we were reminded of that fact. :D

I think Claire and Jamie were kept apart for the perfect amount of time - any longer and it might have felt like things were being stretched out; any sooner and they wouldn't have been able to fully explore the realities of Claire and Jamie's new lives.

That was great, along with the ending, even if cliched.
Back to Future 2 ending when you think about it.

I actually wasn't expecting him to faint, so it got a big laugh out of me!
I've only seen BttF 2 once

That was a fantastic episode!
We all knew Claire was capable of carrying an episode, but it was high time we were reminded of that fact. :D

I think Claire and Jamie were kept apart for the perfect amount of time - any longer and it might have felt like things were being stretched out; any sooner and they wouldn't have been able to fully explore the realities of Claire and Jamie's new lives.

I actually wasn't expecting him to faint, so it got a big laugh out of me!
I've only seen BttF 2 once

I laughed as well
1955 Doc faints when seeing Marty just after he sent Marty back to the future

Edit: One minor gripe. I don't think Charlie Brown Christmas special was a tradition at that point, was it? I could be wrong.

sammex

Another good episode, especially the ending, and I liked
how they left things with Claire's daughter too.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season and seeing how they use the historic parts of Edinburgh in filming (I went to uni there).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I laughed as well
1955 Doc faints when seeing Marty just after he sent Marty back to the future

Ahh!

Edit: One minor gripe. I don't think Charlie Brown Christmas special was a tradition at that point, was it? I could be wrong.

Wiki sez:

Contrary to that apprehension, A Charlie Brown Christmas received high ratings and acclaim from critics. It became an annual broadcast in the United States, and has been aired during the Christmas season traditionally every year since its premiere.

Still, I don't know that it was a 'tradition' just three years after its initial airing...

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
That was a fantastic episode. My favourite of the season.

and yes, Jamie fainting made me laugh. I don't mind the bit with A Charlie Brown Christmas. It does become a tradition after all....

Huh. I again have a different opinion than the rest of you. The best parts of the eps this season have been on Jamie's side. This felt like 58 minutes of boring, then I got the goosebumps for that "It's me" ending.

Maybe the one part I liked was Brianna saying she was not either of her fathers but Claire through and through. But the rest was yawnsville. Seriously, her asking her friend whether she's sexually attractive? There's been so much awkwardness on Claire's side this season, with so many things that feel completely out of character.

Looks like they took a lesson in moving things along from GoT.

GoT should take lessons from this show. I can see Benioff and Weiss watching it right now "Oh this is what a well produced and acted drama that is emotionally engaging is like. At least we have dragons."

Gin-Shiio

Great episode. I feel like I could make a macro for a weekly post saying that at this point. I don't want to get into a GoT vs Outlander debate, but does anyone feel that the quality of the set props so far has been phenomenal this season? I'm stunned by the view all the time.

Huh. I again have a different opinion than the rest of you. The best parts of the eps this season have been on Jamie's side. This felt like 58 minutes of boring, then I got the goosebumps for that "It's me" ending.

Maybe the one part I liked was Brianna saying she was not either of her fathers but Claire through and through. But the rest was yawnsville. Seriously, her asking her friend whether she's sexually attractive? There's been so much awkwardness on Claire's side this season, with so many things that feel completely out of character.

I'm with you.

Jag

From her saying goodbye to Brianna and narrating in the cab to seeing Jamie was about 2 minutes. I thought at least they would show her at the stones, contemplating her decision. Some sort of transition. That part just felt rushed.

From her saying goodbye to Brianna and narrating in the cab to seeing Jamie was about 2 minutes. I thought at least they would show her at the stones, contemplating her decision. Some sort of transition. That part just felt rushed.

Agreed. I turned to my wife and asked, "Did I miss her going through the stones?" And she said, "Why did they need to show it again?"

And I shrugged. But yeah, it felt like an important moment they skipped.

Gin-Shiio

No new episode next week

noooo-willl-o.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I thought it was a clever transition. We already saw Claire express sufficient hesitation and doubts about returning to the past during her scenes in Boston, so more of those scenes, after she had already resolved to go, would have been redundant.

weekev

Banned

Yeah not sure they even moved any of the characters on story wise this week. Bit of a snooze fest. Looking forward to next week.

Okay apparently I forgot to subscribe to this OT...

So, at the risk of Claire being deemed a witch again, did she bring a photo of Brianne with her for Jamie to see? It'd be kinda shitty if she didn't.

And yeah, I laughed at the faint as well for the same reason.

Jag

So, at the risk of Claire being deemed a witch again, did she bring a photo of Brianne with her for Jamie to see? It'd be kinda shitty if she didn't.

Thought about that too. She should have, but it is risky. Better thinking would have been for an artist to draw Brianne.

So, lemme get this straight, she just said "Hey, yo, uh, you're this man's kid, but I'm going back in time to screw your dad, but you can't come"?

I've gotta start watching this show more regularly.

Top Bottom