• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Odyssey digital = 51$

Cbajd5

Did this for Mario Kart 8 and ARMS, it's easy and as long as it's a universal release (like those two were and Odyssey seems to be) it'll be no different than buying it from the local eShop if you switch the region of your account to redeem the code. (You can only do this if you've got no eShop balance though.)

Blam

I guess once again CA gets shafted hard on the price. 81$ here.

Why the fuck are they adding $20 to the price wtf and come on no digital codes here either?

Dyle

Just FWIW posters on here (including myself) have many times found Amazon's release day delivery to be unreliable. So I would make sure to keep on it and bug them 1-2 days before to make sure it's really going to arrive on release day. (Or just go with this digital deal.) Just my two cents, hope it's helpful.

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably just stick with the amazon preorder for now because I won't really have much time to play it until Sunday anyway due to my work schedule that weekend, but it's good to know

SomTervo

Amazon.co.jp says I'm shopping in the UK. Even though my account is set up as JPN.

What's going on

Edit: aha, had to add a JPN address from the account menu, then click 'change address setting' once prompted

mnemonicj

To be clear, can I buy this and set my Nintendo account to the Japanese region to redeem the code, and then go back to my normal region?
OP states that I need to log in with my Japanese account, and I'd rather have everything consolidated on a single account.

roytheone

To be clear, can I buy this and set my Nintendo account to the Japanese region to redeem the code, and then go back to my normal region?
OP states that I need to log in with my Japanese account, and I'd rather have everything consolidated on a single account.

I did this with mario kart 8 and there you need to be logged into your Japanese account to download the game after redeeming the code, but then you can switch back to any account to play.

If you use one account and you keep switching regions, I think your account may still need to be on japan when downloading, but after that you should be able to switch back and all would be good. I have a bunch of games on my Dutch account that I bought on the Russian store while having my account set to russia, and after downloading and swithcing back to dutch I can play them without problems.

SomTervo

Yes but I find it easier just to keep a few unique Nintendo accounts

Downhome

If I were to order this, being in the EST time zome in the US, when would I likely first be able to download the game?

EDIT:

Didn't notice the info in the OP. Awesome.

Lylo

I did this with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I was saving some balance on my US account that i gathered in the last few months with the PCgamesupply deals to buy Mario Odyssey, but this one with 10% and the possibility of playing the game earlier, seems like a good deal. I'm gonna save the US account balance for other games. Thanks for sharing!

Yes but I find it easier just to keep a few unique Nintendo accounts

Yeah, i like to keep different accounts too.

jacobeid

Banned
That lone 9 from Famitsu is really causing some fallout.

I haven't been following that thread at all considering I'm on a media blackout. Are people actually upset about this or is this a joke post? Serious question, I'm just in the dark here.

Because if so.... o.0

Early access is tempting, I'll be honest.

but I'm paying $38 for a physical version at amazon and if they miss delivery date I can just a snatch a $5 certificate and get a prime extension.

I'm good.
I haven't been following that thread at all considering I'm on a media blackout. Are people actually upset about this or is this a joke post? Serious question, I'm just in the dark here.

Because if so.... o.0

No, the review thread has people cracking the same joke.

Cleve

Damn, I'd buy so many more digital console games if they were discounted at launch like physical or pc games tend to be.

My thirst is real for Odyssey, and I'd love to get it a bit earlier, but I'm going to hold off for that full 20%

jacobeid

Banned
Early access is tempting, I'll be honest.

but I'm paying $38 for a physical version at amazon and if they miss delivery date I can just a snatch a $5 certificate and get a prime extension.

I'm good.

No, the review thread has people cracking the same joke.

Oh ok good ha. I will be picking up a physical copy from Best Buy next week, but thanks OP for posting this for people!

Lutherian

All the reviews so far(edge and famitsu) seem to indicate that Mario Odyssey may not score as well as BOTW. BOTW had 40/40 from famitsu. Mario Odyssey may score very high, just not as high as BOTW which was what I was getting at.

For Nintendo to push for a sales of Mario Odyssey before its release, there has to be justified concerns that the expected initial sales number is not going to be met. I would imagine a highly anticipated release like Mario Odyssey, Nintendo's own sales forecast relies heavily on critical reviews.

As always, we all know that Nintendo is

doom_switch_nofrag.jpg

Raytow

That's weird. Worked just fine for me a few days ago. Guess too many people did the same.
It worked now, had to add a french address, and then my card info again, weird. Do I need to make a fr eshop account, or would it work with just a regular EU account, for redeeming the code I mean.

All the reviews so far(edge and famitsu) seem to indicate that Mario Odyssey may not score as well as BOTW. BOTW had 40/40 from famitsu. Mario Odyssey may score very high, just not as high as BOTW which was what I was getting at.

For Nintendo to push for a sales of Mario Odyssey before its release, there has to be justified concerns that the expected initial sales number is not going to be met. I would imagine a highly anticipated release like Mario Odyssey, Nintendo's own sales forecast relies heavily on critical reviews.

The hell are you even talking about? EDGE gave SMO a 10/10. As for Famitsu, it should be noted that they have never given a 3D Mario game a perfect score. They gave Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 a 38 and 37 respectively, and both those games were rated just as high as Breath of the Wild by literally everyone else (all three games have a 97 on MC). So they don't mean shit.

StuKen

If you are in japan yamada denki are selling the digital codes in store even cheaper. I picked it up for 5600yen last week.

Its going to sell gangbusters regardless of review scores (be it 39/40 or 40/40).

Does the same delivery address trick work for other Amazon regions too? Like if a digital code is only available in UK can I just put in a UK delivery address and it'll work?

Danneee

I will be buying from south african eshop, 42€.

Is the price up now? I’ve been looking at the game page daily to see if they updated the price so I could decide where to get it from.
42 Euro sounds awesome, a bit cheaper than I would have though.

tp-lynch-dont-understand.gif

What in the world lead you to this conclusion?

IMACOMPUTA

Anyone have a more detailed guide on doing this? It's impossible for me to enter my correct zip code for billing address as it is formatted for japanese zip codes and only allows 3 characters in the first box or 4 in the second.

weltalldx

Its going to sell gangbusters regardless of review scores (be it 39/40 or 40/40).

Yes undoubtedly but the question is whether it will achieve the same level of critical reviews and good will that BOTW garnered. I personally believe BOTW singlehandedly lead the initial Switch success. If this game does not achieve and build on the hype that BOTW started, Nintendo may lose much traction it gained so far.

Sanpei

Anyone have a more detailed guide on doing this? It's impossible for me to enter my correct zip code for billing address as it is formatted for japanese zip codes and only allows 3 characters in the first box or 4 in the second.

use this

bLkLJn.jpg

sinonobu

Banned
Yes undoubtedly but the question is whether it will achieve the same level of critical reviews and good will that BOTW garnered. I personally believe BOTW singlehandedly lead the initial Switch success. If this game does not achieve and build on the hype that BOTW started, Nintendo may lose much traction it gained so far.

The fact that you are using Famitsu score to argue this is confusing to me.

No 3d Mario ever got full score there and this is the highest score that 3d mario ever got alongside with 64.

But most importantly Famitsu’s reviews are not trustworthy at all. Jojo All Star, the game that got nominated for the worst game of that year, got a dull score on Famitsu.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Ooooh Nice, didn't even know this was a thing. Bought! How does it work? Will I receive a DL code in my email box once the game is available?

I don't know, it's the first time I preorder a key on Amazon, I hope I'll receive it in time, the page says the 27th at midnight.

I checked a few days ago and they were not selling the digital version.

ronpontelle

Neo Member
In the UK Amazon have an offer on some accounts where you can buy a £30+ gift card and you get £6 credit (took a day or so for it to be applied to my account).

You can get Odyssey that way for £35.99, which is $47 or so.

I did that for my Switch from Amazon France.

Another thing I've done in the past is bidding on eBay for Amazon gift cards. Got my Wii U pretty cheaply doing that!

Every single preview has said the game is incredible. Hype is off the charts.

Top Bottom