• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new OT? Awesome.

giphy.gif

Also: Hall of Fame/Shame from OT4

Fowler

Some of the minifigs have already leaked out of the factory, so what you saw may indeed be legit.

Yeah, that might explain the selling-in-a-bundle. It's just strange because I also haven't really ever seen that before either -- as far as I can tell, I've never seen minifigs go on sale "early". They're usually only out when the set is out (and therefore when the shops can open up the sets to take them out). So factory leaked minifigs would be a new thing here too.

On the flipside, Angry Birds are pretty big out here, so I wonder if the added excitement over that has something to do with it.

LEGOGAF is best GAF.

But damn it, those Angry Birds sets are souring our legit hobby.

Really think there is a lot of very poor series coming up.

Angry Birds just seems a waste.

The nexo knight thing is a good idea in principal but the sets look awful.

Lego City needs to stop with the same police and fire crap. Give us hospitals etc. When I was a young lad I had a Doctors Van, post van, pizza delivery guy. There was variation in sets. I want them to take a step back from the police.

Money really is a factor for me so its tough to get big sets, I like seeing what the Ideas sets are like. Wall.e Ghostbusters and back to the future were ace (especially the Ecto 1 build).
Not a fan of doctor who but partner is so she is getting the Tardis for Christmas... Although last set I bought her was an Easter Bunny which is still in the sealed box!!!

willp2003

Good work Phon! I had no idea of the effort that went into a first post - I joined half way through. However I also hate you for making me buy more sets than I ever felt I needed! I've been tinkering with the idea of modulars, and I have no room or money to do it. UCS Star Wars will take all my money this year.
That pirate mixel looks like a purchase as well.

sharbhund

Lego City needs to stop with the same police and fire crap. Give us hospitals etc. When I was a young lad I had a Doctors Van, post van, pizza delivery guy. There was variation in sets. I want them to take a step back from the police.

Money really is a factor for me so its tough to get big sets, I like seeing what the Ideas sets are like. Wall.e Ghostbusters and back to the future were ace (especially the Ecto 1 build).
Not a fan of doctor who but partner is so she is getting the Tardis for Christmas... Although last set I bought her was an Easter Bunny which is still in the sealed box!!!

I'm relieved that Angry Birds is the next major license, because it means there's a theme I can completely ignore. If it was Mario or Legend of Zelda, my budget would be in trouble.

And while Castle is my favorite theme, I don't see myself buying any of the Nexo Knights sets unless they hit 40%+ off like some of the Chima sets did.

Angry Birds looks like Spongebob to me. Wacky and colourful and generally not interesting (although Spongebob was before I returned so I didn't have to take a closer look). I see some interesting parts like a hotdog and the egg. There seems to be a red dish - is that one of the super rare parts for the Akira bike, or some newer part?

Nexo Knights is an alternate Ninjago to me. I don't generally care for the play features but I'll probably get all the knights at some point. It's also notable for introducing a ton of new parts. It looks decent enough, and some designs are great (the sword car and the knight mech, for example).

When you were a young lad, Lego didn't have Friends and Creator, and sort of Speed Champions. The everyday stuff is in there. Also, outside the police and fire stuff we've had both arctic explorers and underwater explorers recently.

Oh, and checking in for the new thread. Thanks for the mention in the OP!

TheFuzz

JLuY7Xl.jpg

Not sure if anyone else uses them, but IKEA Lack shelves are perfect for modulars. I installed a second one today and took a quick shot of my modular collection. I've got room for my MOC, Brick Bank, and one more now.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Oh hey. New thread!

Angry Birds, one theme i can easily pass on at least...

Oh and also: That Jamzy Mixel looks like an Earthbound enemy (i am currently playing Earthbound and those guitars are giving me some serious trouble in the department store)
Need to get ALL those Mixels, they look amazing!!!

I'm relieved that Angry Birds is the next major license, because it means there's a theme I can completely ignore. If it was Mario or Legend of Zelda, my budget would be in trouble.

And while Castle is my favorite theme, I don't see myself buying any of the Nexo Knights sets unless they hit 40%+ off like some of the Chima sets did.

Yeah if nintendo ever does a lego partnership I will make some atrocious decisions.

Wil348

After seeing The Force Awakens (and falling in love with Poe) I really want to get Poe's X-Wing for my birthday next month. Is it easy enough to mod the wings so they are flush with each other, and is it possible to move the rubber bands inside the engine without much impact on stability?

Might also get
Battle on Takkodana
though if that's not out on the 26th I'll have to wait until I have money. Really want Finn.

TheFuzz

After seeing The Force Awakens (and falling in love with Poe) I really want to get Poe's X-Wing for my birthday next month. Is it easy enough to mod the wings so they are flush with each other, and is it possible to move the rubber bands inside the engine without much impact on stability?

Might also get
Battle on Takkodana
though if that's not out on the 26th I'll have to wait until I have money. Really want Finn.

I'm with you, really think Poe's X-wing and the Tie are in my future.

Only finished with bag 1 of Jestro's Evil Mobile, and this is fantastic. Never thought of this obvious SNOT stuff before. And dat brick built Not Balrog!

Maengun1

new thread <3

I finished putting the Pet Shop together recently (I tend to build slowly...a 2000 piece set easily takes me a week to complete going a couple hours a night) and am going to start the Palace Cinema tonight!

Fishlake

Only finished with bag 1 of Jestro's Evil Mobile, and this is fantastic. Never thought of this obvious SNOT stuff before. And dat brick built Not Balrog!

Stop you will make me get them.
Tell me more.

I also may get the Angry Birds castle. Between Elves and that I may have a good fantasy castle year anyway.

How'd you get this already?
Posted earlier, but they are at Barnes and Noble stores now. Grabbed Jestro's Evil Mobile, Fortrex, and the two tiny $10 sets. Will get the rest later.

Already some cool techniques in it, and some really, really handy new types of bricks. Just small modifications or shrinking of older ones, but the shrinking increases their usefulness. I will post lots of pics from the in progress build later.

Pixels

JLuY7Xl.jpg

Not sure if anyone else uses them, but IKEA Lack shelves are perfect for modulars. I installed a second one today and took a quick shot of my modular collection. I've got room for my MOC, Brick Bank, and one more now.

Sweet! I know where I'm going soon.

Jimbro72

Seriously, I'm indifferent on the majority of them (was hoping for more jungle stuff) but that castle is rad. Gonna probably wind up getting that one.

Agreed. The rest are of little to no interest to me but that castle looks rather interesting and something that may be fun to build. Will probably take finding it on a decent sale/clearance price down the road but that one has caught my eye from that line.

Ponn

Banned
Ok MERRY CHRISTMAS time!

aVRjkoB.jpg

CGwng8V.jpg

The bigger Santas sleigh and all 8 reindeer and Rudolph was planned. What I didn't count on was it being much too large to do what I originally intended having it flying off one of the winter village house's rooftop. Coupled with the fact i'm just short on clear pieces to try and make something that would work for that I had to improvise to just get it done. The lights I ordered for my village was a mixed bag. Rudolphs nose works good, the lights for the lanterns on the Sleigh just aren't bright enough though. The ones for inside the workshops work wonderfully though and they are the usb powered ones. The battery operated one for the tree top though didn't work at all. So if you are thinking of getting these type of lights I would suggest sticking with the usb powered ones.

SstNIYU.jpg

CDJpgD1.jpg

AgKtAwl.jpg

fL2NwwJ.jpg

ITmttn5.jpg

cSDjqg1.jpg

Santa's Sweatshop

5njVfGg.jpg

ydLaQpT.jpg

yay I got a chainsaw for Xmas!

Hey wait a minute, if Santa was over there, who was that on the rooftop?
L5S6hkn.jpg

Oh it's just Santapool bringing disappointment and misery to all kids of the world.

Kyari

I'm not hugely hot on most of the early 2016 sets. There are a few creator sets I want, the Duck Hunt and the red plane are both neato. I kind of like the corner deli shop creator 3 in 1 set too.

Nexo Knights is a cooler concept than it looks to be executed :/ but I'll get some of the minifig packs for that.

Angry Birds is an easy pass for me.

The superhero stuff I'm kind of "meh" on, and I'm generally their biggest fans. Might pick up some of the 2 pack weird kart looking sets. Spidey's o_O face is great, and the Flash/Captain Cold set is neat too.

Star Wars is a little lackluster for me, what we've seen so far. The episode VII sets coming out early means few surprises left for that, and I'm not a huge fan of most of them as is. I'll grab Rey's speeder on sale at some point, and I'm kind of sore that Finn is only in the Falcon right now :(

JLuY7Xl.jpg

They really need to make an inside corner building. Maybe make it the first 48x48 modular so it has a big enough front, but I would love a different corner.

Ok MERRY CHRISTMAS time!

aVRjkoB.jpg

CGwng8V.jpg

The bigger Santas sleigh and all 8 reindeer and Rudolph was planned. What I didn't count on was it being much too large to do what I originally intended having it flying off one of the winter village house's rooftop. Coupled with the fact i'm just short on clear pieces to try and make something that would work for that I had to improvise to just get it done. The lights I ordered for my village was a mixed bag. Rudolphs nose works good, the lights for the lanterns on the Sleigh just aren't bright enough though. The ones for inside the workshops work wonderfully though and they are the usb powered ones. The battery operated one for the tree top though didn't work at all. So if you are thinking of getting these type of lights I would suggest sticking with the usb powered ones.

SstNIYU.jpg

CDJpgD1.jpg

AgKtAwl.jpg

fL2NwwJ.jpg

ITmttn5.jpg

cSDjqg1.jpg

Santa's Sweatshop

5njVfGg.jpg

ydLaQpT.jpg

yay I got a chainsaw for Xmas!

Hey wait a minute, if Santa was over there, who was that on the rooftop?
L5S6hkn.jpg

Oh it's just Santapool bringing disappointment and misery to all kids of the world.
Love it! Never got to put all the winter village stuff together this year. Perhaps next year.

Edit: and damn...banished to Community in the first page. Oh, well.

ghostmind

I'm not hugely hot on most of the early 2016 sets. There are a few creator sets I want, the Duck Hunt and the red plane are both neato. I kind of like the corner deli shop creator 3 in 1 set too.

Nexo Knights is a cooler concept than it looks to be executed :/ but I'll get some of the minifig packs for that.

Angry Birds is an easy pass for me.

The superhero stuff I'm kind of "meh" on, and I'm generally their biggest fans. Might pick up some of the 2 pack weird kart looking sets. Spidey's o_O face is great, and the Flash/Captain Cold set is neat too.

Star Wars is a little lackluster for me, what we've seen so far. The episode VII sets coming out early means few surprises left for that, and I'm not a huge fan of most of them as is. I'll grab Rey's speeder on sale at some point, and I'm kind of sore that Finn is only in the Falcon right now :(

That will change on the 1st, when the Battle on Takodana set comes out.
http://brickset.com/sets/75139-1/Battle-on-Takodana

4Tf5meyl.jpg

Not only is the Necronomicon...I mean Book of Monsters a printed piece, it is a brand new mold. At least to me.

Once together, the side fits in a minifig hand so they can hold books. Fantastic new piece for very few, yet specific uses.

How many plates high is the Necronomicon? I'm still working on a bookshelf in my haunted fort MOC and will now make sure it will fit somewhere on it.

How many plates high is the Necronomicon? I'm still working on a bookshelf in my haunted fort MOC and will now make sure it will fit somewhere on it.

The pic I took shows two studs inside. In fact, in the build you put a 1x2 tile inside of it. It seems to be only slightly larger than the old book molds at first glance. I don't have any handy for actual reference though. But the grip at the edge for figures to grab is a very welcome addition.

Anyways, PICS!

This was in the first part of the build, when you are making the small robot horse thingie. The SNOT work in this little bit is so obvious that I am ashamed I didn't think of doing it that way before.

One of the useful new pieces. One stud smaller in each side than the old pieces like this. It will be much easier to integrate this into builds for stability.

More new stuff, at least for me. The 1x1 pyramids are going to be especially popular with MOCcers I think.

Neconomicon, ex brickus. The brick of the dead.

Not Balrog pulls the Evil Mobile.

Jestro, the offspring of Kefka from FFVI and Destro from GI Joe.

The robot horse thingie. Really awesome lil build.

More Not Balrog.

The Evil Mobile. The wheels are really cool, and I love how rolling it makes the jaw move up and down slowly. Great play feature there.

Jester's throne can be raised up...

...or lowered for protection.

The back end also opens up to hide whatever inside.

This was a really, really awesome set. I was not expecting such a fun build out of this thing. I hope the rest of the line lives up to the surprise of this set. Tomorrow is Fortrex time!

boltz

Thanks for the new OT Phon! Lots of good info for any Lego newb.

Built the Bike Shop & Cafe creator set today and I love all the detail that's packed into such a small set (relative to the Modulars). The size worked out perfectly for my display shelf size, so I think I'm going to pick up the Toy & Grocery shop as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom