• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What have you bought during the Steam sale, are enjoying them?

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So far I have bought Batman: Telltale, Walking Dead S3: Telltale and Fallout 4.

Batman: I finished this one first and really enjoyed it, the story was interesting and I liked how they handled all the famous characters. After finishing the game I actually went and looked for some Batman comics to buy as the world really interested me and I've never been that into Batman. The only real negative was performance, the usual Telltale jank turned up a notch, but after fiddling with it a bit I minimised the issues which allowed me to enjoy it. The visuals were noticeably improved over previous games due to the upgraded engine and I thought the fight scenes were handled really well. For me it goes TWD1 > TWAU > TWD2 > Batman > TFTBL > TWDM > GOT

Fallout 4: This was my biggest gamble of the sale so far, I hated New Vegas but so far I'm enjoying F4, not massively and it does have issues but there's enough there to keep me engaged and wanting to come back. So far I've put 6 hours into it and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I'm really enjoying all the whacky and interesting characters you meet on a regular basis, and they're all voiced really well. The gameplay is a little rough, especially aiming and shooting which just feels less accurate than I'd like, and the AI could be better, my stupid companion keeps running into walls and barrels. Thankfully there's only a couple of issues that mods can't fix, I've installed about 15 mods so far and they've all improved the game for me. I will say the load times are atrocious though, the worst I can remember actually, and that's using a Samsung Evo 850 SSD.

The Walking Dead: Haven't touched it yet.

Wingus

Grim Dawn.

It's been a while since I've been addicted to a Diablo-style loot game, but this one has me hooked.

Durante

I've bought quite a few games, and I have absolutely no time to play them. I'm sure they are good.

The only one I bought during the sale and have actually played is Nex Machina. It's fantastic. Played it in coop for 2 hours and barely scratched the surface (we're not using continues).

Grim Dawn.

It's been a while since I've been addicted to a Diablo-style loot game, but this one has me hooked.
Grim Dawn is probably my favourite game of its type since Diablo 2.

Only bought Domina so far.

It's an interesting concept, like a roguelike influenced gladiator management game. But it's feels too random to be really fun.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Grim Dawn.

Grim Dawn is really good, backed it years ago and put over 100 hours into it. I can't recommend it enough to aRPG fans.

rrs

only bought subnauitca, and spent my first hour and half flailing around in an ocean unable to find the one thing I need to fix my pod

Grim Dawn love warms my withered heart. It is the Diablo 2 successor we've all been waiting for.

But, anyways, I bought Dying Light and... I've been downloading it for the past couple hours (Only 30 minutes to go!). I'm sure it'll be good--I liked the free weekend/demo it had some time ago. It's basically Dead Island done right.

I went ahead and bought Witcher 3 GOTY for my PC since I played the base game and the three expansions on my PS4.

Been itching to replay it, now the question is which mods to install and which work together whenever I do.

Robiin

I bought Hollow Knight and Dead Cells so far, mainly because of word of mouth impressions through podcasts.

Hollow Knight: played one hour, gave up on the first boss. Combat is not clicking with me, otherwise feels solid.

Then I went back to Breath of the Wild. Money well spent I guess...

Picked up Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster so far, played it before on PS2/3/4 and loved it. Didn't want to pay full price on the the quadruple dip so have waited. £9.99 was a steal as far as I'm concerend. The 'cheat' options will make it an enjoyable playthrough and less of a grind, done that shit before.

Planning a few other purchase, probably at least Arma 3 as I have a decent laptop that can run it now.

Bought fallout 4 and shadow of mordor. Started both of them and wolfenstein again for a while...

And realized i just wanted to play doom. Which is amazing

onken

Prey, and it's it's fantastic.

Also bought Talos Principle, Call of Juarez and Sleeping Dogs but haven't played them yet.

120v

I Am Setsuna been meaning to pick it up for awhile, knowing it wasn't that fantastic of a game but i wanted to support RPG Factory. but, yeah... this really wasn't doing anything for me. battle system is too simple and attempts give it depth aren't really much 'fun'. story is just kind of "there" and not in a charming old school way. and the piano only OST just really grates on my nerves

got it refunded yesterday, picked up Nex Machina. going to give that a whirl today

Laieon

Haven't bought anything yet. Thinking about getting ABZU, Transformers Devastation, How to Survive 2, Orwell, The Turning Test, and a lot of others but not completely sold on anything yet.

This sale is kind of weird for me. I've noticed that quite a few games on my wishlist that are pretty cheap have confirmed Switch ports, and I'd rather have them on that. First sale in maybe ever that I didn't buy at least 1 game on day 1.

...thanks for reminding me about The Walking Dead though OP. I'll definitely be picking that up. Season 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games ever. I've heard Season 3 was a bit "meh", so I've been waiting for a sale.

Bough Clannad. Loving it thus far. Probably not going to get anything else though even though there are a bunch more visual novels I'd like to get - will wait until I've cleared off more of the backlog.

I went in on cheap local multiplayer games, and had a couple of friends over last night.

Hidden in Plain Sight $1.19 - this one is one of the simplest of the bunch, but it was really fun. The idea is that you are in a crowd of same character sprites, and you have to figure out which you are without alerting your friends, and then complete some objective without getting killed. A really fresh concept, it was great fun.

8Bit Fiesta $3.19 - obviously simple graphics (8 bit), but a collection of really fun mini games. Think move or die without the stay moving mechanics. We had a lot of fun with this one.

Gurgamoth $0.49 - you fly around an arena and try to bump your friends into spikes/other deadly areas. It's neat looking, but the mechanics were not the most intuitive. There's a dodge button and a "stun" combo, but it was unclear the effect these things had. Middling fun.

Crewsaders $1.49 - think Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime but instead of a large spaceship, you and your cohorts are controlling a large robot, with the others controlling the enemy robot. There are different "stations" for major actions (move the robot, shoot a rocket, control the lance, etc.). You see into the robot, and have to move your character to a station to perform that action. I had fun with this one, my friends not so much. It did feel like it would've been better 3 v 3 (we only had 4 players).

Haven't bought anything yet. Thinking about getting ABZU, Transformers Devastation, How to Survive 2, Orwell, The Turning Test, and a lot of others but not completely sold on anything yet.

This sale is kind of weird for me. I've noticed that quite a few games on my wishlist that are pretty cheap have confirmed Switch ports, and I'd rather have them on that. First sale in maybe ever that I didn't buy at least 1 game on day 1.

My exact situation. I want Hollow Knight so bad and it's tempting to snatch it up for 10 bucks, but I'm trying to wait for the Switch port.

There isn't much else jumping out at me for this sale. Might pick up FFX or something since I still haven't played it, but that's about it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Loving Thumper. Hollow Knight seems great and will play it down the road. Refunded Darkest Dungeon (didn't like it on controller) and Hyper Light Drifter (just not for me).

Haven't played Virginia or The Beginner's Guide yet.

iclash

I brought shame and backlog upon my family for 4 generations

I picked up a bunch of games from the hidden gem thread. I'm currently enjoying the Valley. We'll see if I actually get to the others.

Got the metro redux bundle. Always wanted to play them and no regrets.
Also got Furi which I love to death.

I'm considering Naruto storm 3 and 4 as I loved 2 to death. Do they still have the epic cinematic fights in story mode?

I'm going to try something new this year: buying games early and ONLY going for more once I beat them. Thus far:

Rot Gut: Beaten. Super short platformer with guns. Really fun with tight controls. I'd love to see a longer version of the game.

Virginia: Beaten. Amazing. I want to talk about it forever. It hit the right mix of ambiguity and clearness.

Dishonored: I finally jumped on after a friend spent months telling me how great it is. I'm not that far in, but the game is super addictive. I'm really enjoying it.

Apotheon: Love the art style and am digging the exploration, but it seems a little too complicated for what it needs to be, and voice acting seems out of place for a pottery-painting-imaged game.

12 Is Better Than 6: Haven't tried it yet.

TheJoRu

Started playing Stardew Valley. At first I felt unsure of exactly what I should do; things didn't get better as I went online to search for beginner's guides, only to find these really stressful videos outlining how to play for MAXIMUM PROFIT. Like "So on the second day you better have planned for this thing and you better do this thing RIGHT NOW otherwise it's gonna be bad"; a lot of these guides I found felt at odds with the game's inherent message against soulless corporations who care for profit and nothing else.

But I tried to distill the more basic and useful tips I could find, and once I started to understand more and play the game as I think was intended - with determination and planning in mind, but relaxed - it started clicking with me. Making money and being efficient is still part of it, but I also find great joy in just observing the slow evolution of my farm and my relationship with all the characters. Really nice game.

I have bought 0 games this sale. I have way too many and currently playing Dark Souls which is keeping me busy.

DayEnder

Nothing. I want Stephen's Sausage Roll, but I just won't have enough time to play it and I'm trying to avoid growing the backlog.

Majukun

bought dead cells and i'm really enjoying it..if someone here likes rogue-lite games,i can't recommend it enough

and it's also cheap and still on early access,so it can't but improve

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I bought steins;gate, the silver case, Umineko and kindred spirits on the roof.

So far throughout the sale I've just been playing overwatch. >_> <_<

Yousefb

I bought some games that i missed out on from previous gen that I'm really enjoying so far.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
King of Fighters XIII
Bastion
Sonic Generations

I have been gaming for as long as I can remember but for some reason I didn't play as much during the Ps3/360 era. These steam sales are awesome way to catch up on titles. I want to get Vanquish but it's not on sale yet, so I'll just wait til I'm done with these titles first.

I also got Hollow Knight as one of the newer titles. Played an hour only so far and its beautiful!

GRaider81

Kerbal - amazing, will spend 100s of hours in it, I can tell already

Euro truck sim 2- haven't loaded up yet but looking forward to it

FFX-X2- missed this the 1st time round so excited to try it. Haven't played a FF since 9 and really don't like the way the series has gone so hoping it still has that old FF feel.

Gal Civ 3 - love space strategy games and seems to be we'll liked especially with Crusade Expansion.

Might still get a couple of smaller games as these 4 will be massive time sinks.

rrs

Euro truck sim 2- haven't loaded up yet but looking forward to it
It's a load of fun, a good game to put some music/podcasts on and drive some cargo about. Once you put in quite a few hours and get a good feel for your truck, you can join in on the MP mod for more fun

Putosaure

Bought Spec Ops The Line and only played the first level for now. Seems great.

Bought Windlands for VR too, great game.

Bought Killing Floor 2, Pillars of Eternity, and Tyranny.

Killing Floor 2's fun so far, haven't had much of a chance to play PoE due to work, and won't touch Tyranny until after PoE.

Jeff6851

Xenoverse 2: PLayed about an hour, gonna wait to see if my friend gets it before going too far in.

Wolfenstein TNO: About 8 hours in. Killing Nazis. Nuff said.

The Evil Within/Hollow Knight: Haven't started yet.

Picked up What Remains of Edith Finch and played through it all a couple nights ago.

I've played a lot of "walking sims" and I do enjoy them, but this one is perhaps the best game of its type so far, and just feels a lot more substantial in terms of actual gameplay interaction.

I highly recommend giving it a shot, even if these types of games wouldn't normally appeal to you. It only takes 2 hours to finish and I guarantee it will surprise and delight you. Kind of reminded me of Psychonauts in how I had no idea what crazy shit I would be seeing or doing next.

Top Bottom