• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (UPDATE: Fix out, go back to ripping spines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digoman

I'm more convinced now that they just don't handle some return value from some Steam API function correctly.

Yeah... I don't think the game executable itself makes any connection to the internet... it's just Steam. That and the "just crash without warning" makes me think it's a big "oooops" from the developer when dealing with the API.

Spaghetti

isn't the game steamworks? unless valve changed something significantly i don't believe there's even the option for always online within steamworks at all

moreover, when you try to play the game it starts boot then just stops, no 'please connect to the internet' message, which is usually good for to have if you include always online drm

i'm willing to bet it's a dumb bug for now

if it is always online, way to screw the pooch on a big release, konami

Dario ff

Banned
This is definitely a function of the way MGR uses the Steam API. Using a modified steam_api.dll allows it to work in Steam Offline mode. I can't say whether it's a bug or deliberate implementation, but it's not any other sort of DRM, all Steam.
Yeah, I just tested this and it works. It's definitely a bug of using the Steamworks API incorrectly if this causes it. No extra DRM to be found.

Durante

Not that it's particularly excusable to never test your game without an internet connection (apparently), but at least it's not intentionally being an ass.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Steamcloud saves

Always nice to be able to download a game on another pc and have my save come with it

Actually it seems the problem isn't steamcloud saves. If you start Steam online, then cut internet and start the game Steam waits a bit and throws up an error saying it couldn't sync your savegame so it might be out of date (like it should do). After saying you want to play anyway it begins to startup and then cuts to desktop. So it seems like the cloud saves stuff is separate and working fine.

Eusis

Not that it's particularly excusable to never test your game without an internet connection (apparently), but at least it's not intentionally being an ass.
Wouldn't be surprised if they have non-Steamworks versions to put through the most QA then just do some basic QA with Steamworks on to make sure it works. And they weren't thorough enough this time.

Parsnip

Yeah, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. It's probably not malicious. I hope.

Just somehow slipped through the cracks at QA.

Grief.exe

Can't that get you banned from Steam?

Valve tends to look the other way on cracked .exe files, there used to be mods that would only work through such an implementation.

Tough to justify punishing a paying customer who is just enjoying their game the way they see fit. Keywords: paying customer.

Cade

If this really is just a glitch then I take back what I said, but how the hell does this kind of thing slip through QA?

MormaPope

Banned
The time has come to an end
Yeah – this is what Konami planned

Being tracked by a starving publisher
Looking for its daily feast
A predator on the verge of death
Close to its last breath
Getting close to its last breath

Rules of Nature!

And they run when the sun comes up
With their money on the line
(Alive)
For a while
(No choice)
Gotta follow the laws of the wild
(Alive)
With their money on the line
(No choice)
Out here only the strong survive

What’s done is done
Survived to see another day
The game of porting
The consumer and the agile publisher
No guarantee
Of which of them will succeed
Strong or weak

Rules of Nature!

What a load of shit, I finally made some headway against these sewer raptors or whateverthefuck when my internet farted out for like a couple seconds and the game just blinked out of existence.

Fuck YOU.

paolo11

Super WTF, Konami!!????? I fucking preordered the game!!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!

Damn, I'm sorry but this is wrong!!!!

Aklamarth

Dario ff said:
Yeah, I just tested this and it works. It's definitely a bug of using the Steamworks API incorrectly if this causes it. No extra DRM to be found.

Testes with what ? A modified steam_api.dll by........Skidrow ? Hehehe....

Dysun

Awesome how paying customers get screwed over and pirates will have a crack out within the week letting you play offline.
Get your shit together Konami/PG/etc

Grief.exe

This is definitely a function of the way MGR uses the Steam API. Using a modified steam_api.dll allows it to work in Steam Offline mode. I can't say whether it's a bug or deliberate implementation, but it's not any other sort of DRM, all Steam.

Probably quote these in the OP as well. Direct proof that it is Steamworks API and not an always online DRM.

Should probably get the title changed as well.

Guess Who

Banned
Testes with what ? A modified steam_api.dll by........Skidrow ? Hehehe....

Not by Skidrow, but this sort of thing is admittedly widely used for piracy. That said, I can certainly post my Steam receipt for this game and a picture of my PS3 copy if there's a concern.

demolitio

What a load of shit.

Apparently CD Projekt has been thinking the wrong way this entire time. :D

People would have a point if online DRM actually STOPPED piracy instead of it just being easily cracked meaning the pirates still get it and the DRM is only hurting the real customers. It's quite ironic.

Almighty

Dark Souls doesn't use DRM in some evil, insidious way though. It just relies on GFWL for the net-coding, specifically for when you play online. I'm sure if it was SP only, FROM/Namco would have just released the game on Steam as it was, without the need for GFWL. Do I wish it didn't have it? Sure, but then it was a rushed port anyway. All being well, GFWL will be removed soon anyway.

Is using an offline GFWL account not an option? That is what I have done with the few GFWL games I have. My friend gifted me that game in the winter sale.

Anyway on subject I am glad that this is sounding more and more like a bug and not a case of Konami being a bunch of fuck faces.

Would buying a new router fix this? I didn't know so many people here had such poor connections.

Well, that may be a valid suggestion that's worth considering. However, as it relates to this and examples like this (i.e. single player games), why is that the solution? Maybe it's the router and the user should buy a new one. Or, we could focus on why an internet connection is required in the first place. There are other reasons that one might lose their internet connection than user error.

Or, you might also read this as a suggestion to stop your line of rhetoric.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That the game auto quits the moment the connection drops is the killer here; this is the last kind of game on earth you want to just up and die on you in the middle of a level.

Sure does sound like a bug, but jesus christ, Konami best respond to this ASAP.

I just took a little nap and this is what I wake up to.

Holy goddamn shit. They have some stuff to patch I can say. Resolution lock and now thisalways online DRM/glitch. *SMH*

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Well, that may be a valid suggestion that's worth considering. However, as it relates to this and examples like this (i.e. single player games), why is that the solution? Maybe it's the router and the user should buy a new one. Or, we could focus on why an internet connection is required in the first place. There are other reasons that one might lose their internet connection than user error.

Or, you might also read this as a suggestion to stop your line of rhetoric.

Well it's not meant to be a "line of rhetoric" as it was a legitimate statement of surprise that this many people had such fluctuation internet connections. I already agreed that in principle it was scummy so I understand people arguing about that, I was just generally surprised that seemingly a lot of people would have problems playing this in-practice because of on and off internet connections.

xBladeM6x

Made a topic on the Steam Discussions board asking about the optimization of the game, and it seems people are saying that this game is unbelievably polished and runs extremely well on all levels of PCs. So it seems aside from this bug, that the whole release was actually quite a surprising success. :D

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Probably quote these in the OP as well. Direct proof that it is Steamworks API and not an always online DRM.

Should probably get the title changed as well.

Added to OP, but it could still be an intentional implementation that is just not spitting out a disconnection message when kicking you out.

epmode

Made a topic on the Steam Discussions board asking about the optimization of the game, and it seems people are saying that this game is unbelievably polished and runs extremely well on all levels of PCs. So it seems aside from this bug, that the whole release was actually quite a surprising success. :D

Aside from the lack of >1080p support, sure. And if Platinum confirms that this online-only thing is definitely a bug.

Grief.exe

Its a little rough around the edges, bug included, but the port is quite solid.

The AA/AF solution seems to be a tad unoptimized and it has troubled with specific refresh rate setups, other than that its pretty solid.

Added to OP, but it could still be an intentional implementation that is just not spitting out a disconnection message when kicking you out.

Incredibly doubtful, there is no evidence for that.

Assburger

Neo Member
Only way to release SP games on PC, like it or not, it is how it is.

seriously.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom