• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (UPDATE: Fix out, go back to ripping spines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
valve doesn't really have to check the games at all

they're not the publisher, steam is just the distribution platform

you don't ask gamestop to check games for bugs

I ask Gamestop to check the disc.

Even GOG provides a refund now if the product doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Don't see why Valve can't with all the money it has.

joe2187

Banned
Exactly. This is not the same thing as saying that they should have been able to disclose the bug beforehand. What I mean is that it doesn't really matter to me right now whether they did it intentionally or not. As it stands the products just isn't what was promised. It's already early Friday in Japan. Fix might take a few days if one is coming. Of course I get that shit happens and it's part of the game. That's what you get for pre-ordering games on this platform (or any platform these days it seems).

That said let's not act that this is anything that any half-decent QA wouldn't have been able to catch.

So your logic is.

Game you pre-ordered has an issue/bug that the devs werent aware of.

instead of giving the dev a chance to even respond or learn about said issue, you automatically demand a full refund.

Vaporak

How does any bug slip by QA? Shit happens.

And as said above, you said bug or not they let this thing through without disclosing.

This may shock you, but almost every bug a game ships with is documented and just deemed not worth fixing. The odds are that if this is a bug, it was known about before release and simply never got fixed along with the huge list of other bugs.

I ask Gamestop to check the disc.

Even GOG provides a refund now if the product doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Don't see why Valve can't with all the money it has.

Historically Valve do issue refunds for games with such large issues, or games that had DRM or some shit but didn't properly advertise it.

Coldsun

Banned
If Platinum wants my future preorders and just purchases in general, they need to fix the CTD and offer something more than 1080p.

Capcom and Sega have been fantastic lately in allowing eyefinity setups to work (through modified inis or simply through the ui) and in turn I'll continue buying their games.

Sendou

So your logic is.

Game you pre-ordered has an issue/bug that the devs werent aware of.

instead of giving the dev a chance to even respond or learn about said issue, you automatically demand a full refund.

Why do you try to put words into my mouth? I don't understand this.

antitrop

xOIW3IV.png

Working in the games industry in a public capacity must require the patience and iron will of a God.

Parsnip

This may shock you, but almost every bug a game ships with is documented and just deemed not worth fixing. The odds are that if this is a bug, it was known about before release and simply never got fixed.
I don't know man, this seems too big for known shippable. Maybe that's just me.

Grief.exe

Can we please get a title change to something more relevant? This just stokes the flames right now.

'Metal Gear Rising has a Steamworks bug that prevents its use while offline. Waiting for Platinum response.'

This guy has already updated his review

2cOuLTV.png

Further updated his review as soon as I linked him to the relevant posts in this thread. Respect.

gkkLRSX.png

The internet is out of control.

Jintor

I thought Valve does check the games coming to the service to some extent. At least I remember seeing some ramblings about removing this requirement before patch is allowed through making the process faster (and riskier I suppose). Did this already happen or is QA 100% on the developer/publisher?

The War Z was let through to Steam, so I assume they don't QA the games coming through

phanboy4

*checks GAF*

"OMG ONLINE-ONLY DRM IS MAKING GAME CRASH"

*checks GAF again*

"THERE'S A BUG WITH HOW THEY USE STEAM THAT'S MAKING IT CRASH"

So, online-only DRM is making it crash. ;)

Qassim

Well, it'd be understandable if someone didn't know because I think for a week or so after launch it required it, then they dumped it.

It requires a connection to uPlay servers (on ALL platforms) for certain features of the single player game, but it never had any always on DRM as far as I know.

His comment was about PC games, this thing in ACIV was on the console versions too.

BlackJace

Can we please get a title change to something more relevant? This just stokes the flames right now.

'Metal Gear Rising has a Steamworks bug that prevents its use while offline. Waiting for Platinum response.'

Further updated his review as soon as I linked him to the relevant posts in this thread. Respect.

gkkLRSX.png

The internet is out of control.

Editable reviews should be standard practice, that's pretty cool of the dude.

Parsnip

gkkLRSX.png

Seeing this guy change his review restored my faith in people, and then the twitter took it away again.

Grief.exe

We have no reason to not give Platinum the benefit of the doubt.

Activision and EA? Not so much.

Konami as well, none of their other games released on the platform have had this issue.

Editable reviews should be standard practice, that's pretty cool of the dude.

I'm certainly impressed with how he handled it.

Wow I'm starting to get impressed by basic cognitive abilities and social interaction skills...The internet has really lowered my expectations.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I'd support a change to "MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (may be bug) or something like that, but I think the bug mention in the current title is enough

feel

I had a CTD earlier mid cutscene and my internet connection happened to go out for a couple of minutes at that exact time, I was wondering if it was a coincidence.

LeleSocho

Banned
Man, people jumping to conclusions about this kind of disappoints me.

But still, Platinum better patch this.

The best thing to do is always assume the the worst with these company, if you give them the benefit of the doubt they'll fuck you over so it's better to let out your voice as soon as possible.

I'd support a change to "MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (may be bug) or something like that, but I think the bug mention in the current title is enough
It isn't because we have absolutely no indication that it is an actual DRM so far.

This is just riling people that don't bother reading.

Like Dark Souls nobody will give a shit, blah, blah "PC is awesome so whatever." Also why PC pre-sell is bullshit. I thankfully dodged a bullet here.

What? People made a bunch of noise and jumped up and down about the shortcomings of the PC port of Dark Souls. They stopped when a fantastic easy to implement fix was made available.

Poor ports are treated very harshly on PC. In fact, I'd say PC users often expect more from games in terms of graphics options, performance etc.

Also, aren't the reactions in this thread evidence that people do indeed give a shit?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It isn't because we have absolutely no indication that it is an actual DRM so far.

This is just riling people that don't bother reading.

Sure we do. The game doesn't work offline. It's either DRM or incompetence. I personally will continue not paying people for either.

We have absolutely zero confirmation that it's a bug. We have one person saying he'll look into it. Right now, it's effectively DRM.

Grief.exe

Sure, much better.

As Stone Ocean says, its just riling people up over, what could amount to nothing. If it turns out to be DRM, by all means, but right now you are making quite the leap to get to the current thread title.

antitrop

The best thing to do is always assume the the worst with these company, if you give them the benefit of the doubt they'll fuck you over so it's better to let out your voice as soon as possible.

When a traditionally console-centric developer releases their first port on the PC without mentioning any sort of Always-Online requirement in the storefront, my first assumption is "bug".

I'm also assuming they're going to patch this, though. If they don't, then it's something worthy of some ol' fashioned nerd-rage and I'll line right up with everyone else to request a refund.

Would buying a new router fix this? I didn't know so many people here had such poor connections.

Yeah sure, but then not everyone has it that easy, sometimes the available options are all bad when dealing with such restrictions as this that take as a given your connection is fast and reliable at all times, not to mention it precludes the option to use it when you travel to a place with no internet acces. In other words, its a grievance that has no reason to exist since it benefits no one and easily bypassed by those it aims to block away.

Glad that this seems just a bug that will (hopefully) get fixed soon, but until then you won't be seeing any of my money Konami.

Persona7

Banned
Man, people jumping to conclusions about this kind of disappoints me.

But still, Platinum better patch this.

Either way you can't play this offline and if you are in the middle of a game it sucks to get kicked out.

Hopefully this doesn't take more than a few hours to patch.

dumb question is 1080P broken in this game? my monitor shows it display as 1080i and everything is cut off on the screen for me

Sure we do. The game doesn't work offline. It's either DRM or incompetence. I personally will continue not paying people for either.

We have absolutely zero confirmation that it's a bug. We have one person saying he'll look into it. Right now, it's effectively DRM.
Did you read Durante's post?

And accusing someone of anti-consumer practices and incompetence are two whole different things.

Grief.exe

When a traditionally console-centric developer releases their first port on the PC without mentioning any sort of Always-Online requirement in the storefront, my first assumption is "bug".

I'm also assuming they're going to patch this, though. If they don't, then it's something worthy of some ol' fashioned nerd-rage.

Especially when the publisher has not history of this type of thing.

If Ubisoft, EA, or Blizzard did it then we probably wouldn't be giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Currently, there just is no evidence that this is intentional always-online DRM, in fact, there is plenty of evidence of the opposite.

dumb question is 1080P broken in this game? my monitor shows it display as 1080i and everything is cut off on the screen for me

If you are having issues, try settings a custom resolution to 1920x1079.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Maybe that bug has anything to do with MGR being the first Play region-locked game on Steam?

Probably not, but the fact that MGR is the game that inaugurated that specific type of region locking on Steam is part of what's keeping me from giving Konami complete benefit of the doubt in this case.

Zemm

I don't know, I can't imagine much of the pity people have on here if it was a Bioware or DICE or Activision title.

It's not even about pity really. It's not even about forums, websites and twitter are the worst culprits where people see 'bad news' and just throw it out everywhere before doing any sort of checking, then people get worked up. It's pretty annoying. Sometimes feels like people want stuff to not work so the can get angry.

Kotaku are the worst for it, like that Japanese artist they contacted but couldn't wait longer than 30 minutes for a reply before posting their garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom