• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (UPDATE: Fix out, go back to ripping spines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbajd5

whatever anyone does, don't tweet kamiya about this

or do, but he probably won't have any idea about it/will reply as he does to such inquiries/block you

Grief.exe

Probably not, but the fact that MGR is the game that inaugurated that specific type of region locking on Steam is part of what's keeping me from giving Konami complete benefit of the doubt in this case.

That is a Steam client and registry implementation, has nothing to do with the actual playing of the game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Did you read Durante's post?

And accusing someone of anti-consumer practices and incompetence are two whole different things.

The post where he has absolutely no inside info into the decision making process and makes a guess and still says it's possible it was intentional? Yes. I did. That doesn't come close to confirmation.

LiK

whatever anyone does, don't tweet kamiya about this

or do, but he probably won't have any idea about it/will reply as he does to such inquiries/block you

i'm gonna assume he will have to deal with this either way. looking forward to his massive blocks.

Alexlf

The post where he has absolutely no inside info into the decision making process and makes a guess and still says it's possible it was intentional? Yes. I did. That doesn't come close to confirmation.

He checked the API calls himself. He doesn't need "inside info" because he has first hand info.

That is a Steam client and registry implementation, has nothing to do with the actual playing of the game.

But if you buy the game from a region-locked place, and move to another country, you won't be able to play it, even if the game is activated on your account and you've installed it on your PC.

Grief.exe

how do i do that?

AMD or Nvidia? I can only help with the latter.

Nvidia Control Panel > Change Resolution > Customize > Enter Value > save

What about these where they specifically queried the Steam API and it came back as the source of the issue?

This is definitely a function of the way MGR uses the Steam API. Using a modified steam_api.dll allows it to work in Steam Offline mode. I can't say whether it's a bug or deliberate implementation, but it's not any other sort of DRM, all Steam.
Yeah, I just tested this and it works. It's definitely a bug of using the Steamworks API incorrectly if this causes it. No extra DRM to be found.

i'm sure it's been posted already, but i'm not reading through a few more pages

PG_jp said:
So I’m going into work now. I’m going to have about 15 minutes to talk about MGR PC, and then meetings for 5 or so hours.

PG_jp said:
You won’t hear anything back from me for a while, maybe even not today… But don’t freak out. I’ll try to find out what’s up.

via Twitter

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
AMD or Nvidia? I can only help with the latter.

What about these where they specifically queried the Steam API and it came back as the source of the issue?

Show me exactly how that proves this was unintentional or that they didn't find and ignore it in QA.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If it actually is intentional, then ho-lee shit, Konami.

I suspect it's a glitch, though. Nobody but EA is stupid enough to do that shit in this day and age.

Grief.exe

Show me exactly how that proves this was unintentional or that they didn't find and ignore it in QA.

And that means it isn't intentional..how?

Could it be intentional? Sure.

Would have been a completely garbage way of going about such things.

• Something like that will be easy to circumvent by everyone involved. Disconnect the game from Steam API? Pirates win.
  • DRM checks in this manner aren't even apart of the Steamworks API
  • No DRM in history has ever detected a dropped internet connection and not displayed some kind of message. In fact, there is no files in the game folder that would even suggest such a message exists.
  • This would be a publisher decision, not Platinum. Konami's set a historical precedent of DRM-free releases so far.

I'm sure there are more technical reasons why this would never be set up in such a manner. But its a massive, massive stretch to call this intentional DRM at this point.

It's probably both unintentional and anti-consumer

Would not be surprised if this emerged from the anti-consumer region locking on it but did something they didn't intend.

Could it be intentional? Sure.

Would have been a completely garbage way of going about such things.

• Something like that will be easy to circumvent by everyone involved. Disconnect the game from Steam API? Pirates win.
  • DRM checks in this manner aren't even apart of the Steamworks API
  • No DRM in history has ever detected a dropped internet connection and not displayed some kind of message. In fact, there is no files in the game folder that would even suggest such a message exists.
  • This would be a publisher decision, not Platinum. Konami's set a historical precedent of DRM-free releases so far.

I'm sure there are more technical reasons why this would never be set up in such a manner. But its a massive, massive stretch to call this intentional DRM at this point.

I don't know. It seems to me that if you didn't want to waste resources creating a log in system of sorts(Which Konami has a track record of being shit at), this would be a very easy way to implement the DRM.

I don't trust this publisher any more than any other publisher, and much less in this case due to the region locking.

Grief.exe

I don't know. It seems to me that if you didn't want to waste resources creating a log in system of sorts(Which Konami has a track record of being shit at), this would be a very easy way to implement the DRM.

I don't trust this publisher any more than any other publisher, and much less in this case due to the region locking.

Again, that would be a massive leap since Konami's recent ports have been DRM-free.

I am implore you to just wait and see what comes of this, logic dictates that this was a mistake.

Deadbeat

Banned
This doesnt make any sense if you look at the Castlevania port (DRM wise). You go from Steam to ALWAYS ONLINE I think its got to be something else.

Region locking has been going for a long-ass while.

There's plenty of games that are not avaiable in the BR marketplace.

Playable region lock isn't the same as selling or activation region locks.

Activated MGR copies on Steam can only be PLAYED on the specific countries it's locked.
If you move out of these countries, you won't be able to play them anymore. It's like if Nintendo didn't let you play your JP games you bought digitally on your Japanese 3DS if you move out of Japan.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wait, are Konami's prior PC games actually DRM-free, or do they just use a non-hated DRM scheme like Valve's CEG?

Pretty sure they just use a non-hated DRM scheme.

Edit: looked at the above post. Is Castlevania actually DRM free? That sounds... kinda shocking.

Trojan X

Banned
Wow... First the game won't go above 60fps nor above 1080p for rigs that can handle it but that's ok, Then I can't even buy the game in Japan, but that's ok too for I will try to wait. Now the game is purely online only?! A single player game?! Sorry Platinum and Konami, you guys fucked up. It's obvious you want to do this due to piracy fear but still there are other ways. Please sort out ALL of the above if you want to be more successful in the PC market, and ALWAYS keep in mind that PC gamers always want games that showcase their system and provide flexibility in graphic options.

Spaghetti

I ask Gamestop to check the disc.

Even GOG provides a refund now if the product doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Don't see why Valve can't with all the money it has.
checking the disk does not equal doing unpaid quality assurance for a game they are merely distributing

money or not, valve does not have the human resources to put together a qa team for titles released on steam, nor should they have to as qa duties lie directly in the hands of the publisher

pahamrick

checking the disk does not equal doing unpaid quality assurance for a game they are merely distributing

money or not, valve does not have the human resources to put together a qa team for titles released on steam, nor should they have to as qa duties lie directly in the hands of the publisher

Pretty much. Valve/Steam is the distributor. Asking them to Q/A titles would be the same as asking Wal-Mart or GameStop to Q/A the titles they sell.

kulapik

Wow... First the game won't go above 60fps nor above 1080p for rigs that can handle it but that's ok, Then I can't even buy the game in Japan, but that's ok too for I will try to wait. Now the game is purely online only?! A single player game?! Sorry Platinum and Konami, you guys fucked up. It's obvious you want to do this due to piracy fear but still there are other ways. Please sort out ALL of the above if you want to be more successful in the PC market, and ALWAYS keep in mind that PC gamers always want games that showcase their system and provide flexibility in graphic option.

Be kind and read the OP, please.

But if you buy the game from a region-locked place, and move to another country, you won't be able to play it, even if the game is activated on your account and you've installed it on your PC.
I know we're all supposed to be dumping on Konami at the moment, but this isn't true. I bought MGR in the UK and am now in Japan, it runs fine.

What we know:
* MGR can not be played offline out of the "box"
* There is a custom work around that lets you play offline related to the steam api

What we don't know:
* The source of this issue
* When or if it will be fixed

What we can assume:
* This is just a bad bug and will be fixed

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
What we know:
* There is a custom work around that lets you play offline

What we don't know:

What we can assume:

Your post is too coherent to be in this thread
:p

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What we know:
* There is a custom work around that lets you play offline related to the steam api

What we don't know:
* How many other egregious bugs are in the game

What we can assume:

I'd like to be able to assume the last part is true, but we can't assume that right now. It's likely the case, but saying we can assume it is a bug and will be fixed when NOTHING of the sort has been said by Konami is a stretch. (edit: I'm not saying they should have responded already, it seems like this spread at the end of the business day in the US and the start of the day in Japan. Regardless of who would respond it's not likely that they would have had time to yet if it was something they didn't know about)

Call it Steamworks or Steam DRM, its the same thing, they can all be run in offline mode.

It is still the same thing-It's DRM. It's specifically DRM that most people aren't upset about as was claimed, and you implied otherwise.

Grief.exe

It is still the same thing-It's DRM. It's specifically DRM that most people aren't upset about as was claimed, and you implied otherwise.

...But you can play it offline no issues.

You are using a mistake I made, that I edited out, in order to find proof for your argument.

Quite the circular reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom