• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGR Revengeance PC doesn't work offline (UPDATE: Fix out, go back to ripping spines)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
...But you can play it offline no issues.

You are using a mistake I made, that I edited out, in order to find proof for your argument.

Quite the circular reasoning.

The mistake you made wasn't calling it Steam DRM, it absolutely is Steam DRM. The mistake you made and have not edited was saying that Konami's previous games are DRM free.

Trojan X

Banned
Be kind and read the OP, please.

Understood. *read OP*

Ok. Then we just have to wait for an update whether via a patch or clear answers to the question. Still upsetting that I can't even buy the game nor take advantage of my rig like other people. I guess Platinum and Konami don't want my money?

What we know:
* MGR can not be played offline out of the "box"
* There is a custom work around that lets you play offline related to the steam api
What we don't know:
* The source of this issue
* When or if it will be fixed

What we can assume:
* This is just a bad bug and will be fixed

Thanks for this. What is the work around for offline play?

Valnen

Yes and no. Obviously, it's comforting to know that there was no malicious intent, but if the end result is the same, it doesn't makes ton of difference to the user.

It may not make a difference to the user, but it's not factually correct to call it DRM if it's a bug. DRM is an intentional thing, bugs are not.

pixlexic

Banned
i was hyped for last 2 weeks waiting for this game to unlock. Came home today.. hit play ... played the first level... probably wont ever touch it again. Its not wowing me at all.

Valnen

i was hyped for last 2 weeks waiting for this game to unlock. Came home today.. hit play ... played the first level... probably wont ever touch it again. Its not wowing me at all.

Have you not tried a demo or anything of the game? Did you not know what you were buying?

FYI, the first level doesn't allow you to do most of the awesome things you've heard about the game. More of an introductory level.

I know we're all supposed to be dumping on Konami at the moment, but this isn't true. I bought MGR in the UK and am now in Japan, it runs fine.

I said region-locked places, like Brazil.

If you're in Brazil and buy it, you won't be able to play it if you move to the US, for example, even if you already activated the game on your account.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I said region-locked places, like Brazil.

If you're in Brazil and buy it, you won't be able to play it if you move to the US, for example, even if you already activated the game on your account.

I don't think this is quite correct. I might be mistaken, but I thought it was only a restriction on where you can purchase and trade the game. If you purchase and activate it on your own account, I can't imagine the game would actually be inaccessible when you move.

edit:

Holy shit. Triple fuck this game. Konami just shot straight to the top of my "Avoid at all costs" list.

Are you sure? That doesn't sound right to me.

Yes.
yyKN6D3.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

While they may indeed turn out to be true, I've learned to never--and I mean *never*--believe a damn word that any online support agent tells you. Always doubt their words.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
While they may indeed turn out to be true, I've learned to never--and I mean *never*--believe a damn word that any online support agent tells you. Always doubt their words.

That is true often they do not know what they're talking about (though that's true for a lot of customer services) no idea if steam is like that.

Wouldn't that need some sort of DRM to even work. Maybe that's the cause of this.

I don't know why Steam support would lie to me.

Blame Konami. Steam isn't the bad guy here unless you want to get mad at them for even having the option in the first place. It's unfortunate that we have publishers still opting to use region lock on platforms where most games are region free. Konami here, Atlus on P4A PS3, Nintendo in general, I just don't get it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

So, I'm looking at the store page and I don't see anything about region restrictions. Does anybody know if they only show when you try to access the game outside of a region that it can be played in, or were they lifted?

Or was that support agent just wrong on at least one front and hopefully more?

I know I've been negative about this whole issue, but it's a nearly inexcusable oversight if it's a bug and it's straight offensive if it isn't. That said, I'd love for them to come out and say it was a bug and that they've got a patch ready, and I'd really like it in general if the Steam support agent was wrong, because

Steam Store said:
There is an option reading "ZANGEKI" that will modify the amount of cuts you can make.

How can you not want to buy that game?

So, I'm looking at the store page and I don't see anything about region restrictions. Does anybody know if they only show when you try to access the game outside of a region that it can be played in, or were they lifted?

Or was that support agent just wrong on at least one front and hopefully more?

Just took this screenshot.
fd3EZmf.jpg

I really don't like Konami's decision.
I mean, if it was only the activation or the selling that was region locked, then it'd be fine. But region locking people who already have the game on their account is downright stupid.
I know that this doesn't affect many people, but still.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just took this screenshot.

Oh, it looks like they are only region locking the game where it can be bought for less. There's no such notice on the US store. That's awful. I get where they're coming from, there are certainly people out there who want a good deal enough that they'll use a VPN and create a Steam account for a few cheap games. But it's never the right choice to fuck over your other customers because of the fringe few who would abuse the system like that.

It is insane how many people seem to use a VPN to buy from Nuveem. But I think that most people would draw the line at needing to create a South American-specific account and lose access to the rest of their games to save ten bucks. Restricting purchasing, trading, and gifting would stop most of the people who would buy the game on a foreign store. And really, if they are going through that much trouble to save money buying your game they probably aren't going to jump at paying the price in their own currency anyway. That's the sort of person who can wait for a sale.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I guess I'm not buying this. Pathetic yet people just give their money without thinking much.

I've been offline several times in the last month so while this normally doesn't matter it certainly does now.

catmario

if this is glitch, this should gonna fix it!

But I cannot buy it. Korean users cannot buy in korean store, and because of registering restriction, I cannot buy at the other stores like gamersgate and amazon!

Developing on Steamworks myself, I can see this happening accidentally.
There's a myriad of similar named functions to check if someone is logged in to Steam, is logged into an account and if they have an Internet connection.

And a lot of those checks are skipped over when running from the command line as opposed to from Steam itself, especially when dealing with the Steam DRM wrapper.

They confirmed it was a fucking bug and people still want to shit on this game so bad. Since day 1 people have been rallying against this game for some reason. "Shit port, shit game, muh 1440p!!" No way these people actually give a fuck about the game. The port is near perfect and now people are literally grasping at straws.

They confirmed it was a fucking bug and people still want to shit on this game so bad. Since day 1 people have been rallying against this game for some reason. "Shit port, shit game, muh 1440p!!" No way these people actually give a fuck about the game. The port is near perfect and now people are literally grasping at straws.

Only the region-lock thing that's really sad.

abtom

Banned
It's a great port, and they just confirmed that the always online thing is a bug not DRM. I have a 1440p display so I'm obviously going to wait for a patch/fix, but they have done a kickass job with it. Save your cynicism for some other game.

Gvaz

Banned

Lets not be dismissive:

1. valid bugs and crashing for some
2. resolution lock is inexcusable
3. 1:1 fps:hz issues, resulting in 24fps for some
4. 16:10 non-support is minor but it can be listed as it seems some monitors don't like the weird shit MGR does with the resolutions and doesn't even list 1080
5. cutscenes drop down to 30fps, really now? that's jarring
6. game seems to run well but issues i have is that changing graphic settings doesn't seem to change much of anything really, and also TWENTY ONE GIGS OF CINEMATICS out of 24. Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom