• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Tenebrous

I really doubt they drastically changed the tone of the writing. The game might just not be for you.

Fair enough, not sure much of that will change now tbh.

Maybe it's just not the game for you.

Maybe. I can ignore the writing if there's a quick combat option added/modded in, though. Everything about it screams "a game for me." I should love it. It should be my GOTY 2014.

Maybe the EE will be my GOTY 2015. As I said, it definitely deserves another shot!

Lanrutcon

Should I play the earlier games before I play D:OS EE?

Divine Divinity is a really, really good game but nothing like D:OS. You can probably get it for super cheap and give it a try, if you don't mind the old graphics. I still digs it. It's very Diablo 2-ish in presentation.

Beyond Divinity is universally acknowledged as terrible. Avoid.

Divinity 2 is fun, but again: a very different game than DD or D:OS. It's an 'open' world action game. I enjoyed it a lot, but people are very divided on it. It even has a pretty decent expansion.

None of the games are required for you to enjoy or make sense of D:OS.

Edit: I forgot Divinity Dragon Commander. Which is a freaking RTS :p Also not required, and I kind of skipped this one. Bought it, never really played it.

Staf

Just bought it on my PS4 app. It should be downloading right now at home. Can't freaking wait to get home from work. The combat system looks so damn good. Really hope this is a success on the consoles because we really need more turned-based combat games.

Alexm92

Divine Divinity is a really, really good game but nothing like D:OS. You can probably get it for super cheap and give it a try, if you don't mind the old graphics. I still digs it. It's very Diablo 2-ish in presentation.

Beyond Divinity is universally acknowledged as terrible. Avoid.

Divinity 2 is fun, but again: a very different game than DD or D:OS. It's an 'open' world action game. I enjoyed it a lot, but people are very divided on it. It even has a pretty decent expansion.

None of the games are required for you to enjoy or make sense of D:OS.

Edit: I forgot Divinity Dragon Commander. Which is a freaking RTS :p Also not required, and I kind of skipped this one. Bought it, never really played it.

Ok thanks for the information! I might just jump straight in to the EE and then maybe get Divinty 2 and Divine Divinity some time afterwards. Cant wait for the EE, it looks amazing.

Btw for bored people, this wiki http://divinityoriginalsin.wiki.fextralife.com/ seems to have EE changes, at least some of them(not sure how accurate the stuff will be compared to the version we're getting though) specifically for character stuff(the crafting is not updated for example). You can compare with http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Divinity:_Original_Sin which is the old wiki and see a lot of differences.

Notably, Lone Wolf(which was buffed) and Glass Cannon(which was nerfed) cannot be taken at the same time, nor can Leech and Comeback Kid(broken combo making chars almost immortal).

Backstab and Guerilla seem to have been nerfed putting more emphasis on Scoundrel skills for damage, all of which have been massively buffed in both damage(generally most skills are 100%weapon dmg when they used to be 30 or 60) and application of status effect(most are 100% instead of 70%).

Tank warriors have received a good amount of new skills to let them do their jobs, including a very potent Taunt shout and a reflect damage stance, while 2H warriors have gotten a bunch of nerfs to get their damage back in line I assume.

Mages have a ton of changes, though Fire didn't change much other than an obvious nerf by removing Magma Orb which was fairly broken(though it was so late in the game it wasn't too much of an issue).

Archers got some buffs I think but I didn't play one so I didn't really look into it. Notably though the talent to get special arrows back is 33% instead of 20% so that's something.

Lanrutcon

Btw for bored people, this wiki http://divinityoriginalsin.wiki.fextralife.com/ seems to have EE changes, at least some of them(not sure how accurate the stuff will be compared to the version we're getting though) specifically for character stuff(the crafting is not updated for example). You can compare with http://divinity.wikia.com/wiki/Divinity:_Original_Sin which is the old wiki and see a lot of differences.

Notably, Lone Wolf(which was buffed) and Glass Cannon(which was nerfed) cannot be taken at the same time, nor can Leech and Comeback Kid(broken combo making chars almost immortal).

Backstab and Guerilla seem to have been nerfed putting more emphasis on Scoundrel skills for damage, all of which have been massively buffed in both damage(generally most skills are 100%weapon dmg when they used to be 30 or 60) and application of status effect(most are 100% instead of 70%).

Tank warriors have received a good amount of new skills to let them do their jobs, including a very potent Taunt shout and a reflect damage stance, while 2H warriors have gotten a bunch of nerfs to get their damage back in line I assume.

Mages have a ton of changes, though Fire didn't change much other than an obvious nerf by removing Magma Orb which was fairly broken(though it was so late in the game it wasn't too much of an issue).

Archers got some buffs I think but I didn't play one so I didn't really look into it. Notably though the talent to get special arrows back is 33% instead of 20% so that's something.

That Archer change....

Every time I ran into a fight I didn't want to bother with, I'd just shoot Charm arrows at everything. Funnily enough, there are a ton of enemy types that you'd think would be immune to Charm.

You'd be wrong.

Edit: Ok, lots of new Archer changes. So sexy. Def rolling an Archer.

Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

azanpDe.gif

Almost here boys.

Lanrutcon

I think they removed Tactical Retreat. I think they removed the only movement skill the ranged tree had.

This will have to be confirmed.

That Archer change....

Every time I ran into a fight I didn't want to bother with, I'd just shoot Charm arrows at everything. Funnily enough, there are a ton of enemy types that you'd think would be immune to Charm.

You'd be wrong.

Yeah I don't know if there's any changes to special arrows. Taking a quick look at abilities though, they follow the same pattern as the Scoundrel abilities. For example Ricochet which is your basic lvl 1 ability that hits 2 targets used to do 70% per target for 6AP but now for 100% per target for 4AP, making it a lot better. The stances follow the same changes at the warrior ones also by becoming a bit weaker but losing the 1AP penalty on everything which makes them more desirable I think.

A lot of skills were added to the Marksmanship stuff too, especially the higher tiers which have 2 entirely new damage abilities(Rain of Arrows which is a large burst damage aoe and Shrapnel Scatter which explodes corpses/container for aoe damage also) while a bunch of stuff was removed to balance it out(Tactical Retreat is gone for example).

And yeah I remember Charm was pretty broken in some fights back when I played rogue and had Charm Touch or whatever and that was very limited in comparison to charm arrows. Both the Marksman and Scoundrel charm skills were removed however(and one was added to Witchcraft), so I don't know if Charm arrows will still be a thing since it feels like they tried to limit charm options. Or maybe they just wanted to make the special arrows more special by doing it like that. I assume scoundrels will be able to use the new grenades too for the same effects.

Moff

how much new content is there really, in numbers?
I don't think it's worth a replay from what I've seen so far.

how much new content is there really, in numbers?
I don't think it's worth a replay from what I've seen so far.

Not much, apparently only the ending area, but they changed a lot of the existing content especially if playing on Tactician difficulty.

Oh and while I was exploring the wiki, best new skill in the game by so so far:

Scoundrel Master, Crawling Infestation
Plant a monstrous egg in a nearby target.
Unless the target resists or succeeds a saving throw using Constitution, its mortal shell will give way to a monster as it comes out after 3 turns.

Shinjica

Someone can do a test for me?

If someone can try if the elemental shields now only absorb that element damage or, like it was in the original, absorb all king of damage

Lanrutcon

Yeah I don't know if there's any changes to special arrows. Taking a quick look at abilities though, they follow the same pattern as the Scoundrel abilities. For example Ricochet which is your basic lvl 1 ability that hits 2 targets used to do 70% per target for 6AP but now for 100% per target for 4AP, making it a lot better. The stances follow the same changes at the warrior ones also by becoming a bit weaker but losing the 1AP penalty on everything which makes them more desirable I think.

A lot of skills were added to the Marksmanship stuff too, especially the higher tiers which have 2 entirely new damage abilities(Rain of Arrows which is a large burst damage aoe and Shrapnel Scatter which explodes corpses/container for aoe damage also) while a bunch of stuff was removed to balance it out(Tactical Retreat is gone for example).

And yeah I remember Charm was pretty broken in some fights back when I played rogue and had Charm Touch or whatever and that was very limited in comparison to charm arrows. Both the Marksman and Scoundrel charm skills were removed however(and one was added to Witchcraft), so I don't know if Charm arrows will still be a thing since it feels like they tried to limit charm options. Or maybe they just wanted to make the special arrows more special by doing it like that. I assume scoundrels will be able to use the new grenades too for the same effects.

I'm thinking a grenade based Scoundrel (maybe the NPC Rogue) with a level in Man at Arms for the grenade perk. I'm eager to see some grenade stats (crafting materials required as well) to see if they'd be viable to create elemental combos.

nonnocere

Scrolling through responses, but I don't see the answer.

I backed D:OS 2 on Kickstarter, haven't played OS, awaiting a download code. I would suppose that will be out today as well?

Is this like Dragon Age Origins? is the story and quests engaging and deep? voice acting?

How does this compare to DA: Origins/Mass Effect 1/2 and Witcher 3?

Lanrutcon

Is this like Dragon Age Origins? is the story and quests engaging and deep? voice acting?

How does this compare to DA: Origins/Mass Effect 1/2 and Witcher 3?

- View is isometric, like Diablo or PoE
- You create 2 party members, can recruit 2 more from a range available in game
- Combat is turn based and works on action points
- Combat is pretty deep, but you don't need a degree to understand the numbers
- Character progression has attributes, perks and abilities you buy/learn
- There are no classes, just preconfigured builds or make your own
- Loot is like Diablo (random item + random quality + random modifiers)
- There's crafting
- Lots of talking, puzzles, optional stuff
- Tone is not grimdark serious. Tone is lighthearted.
- No random encounters, no respawns
- Non-linear, but not open world
- Coop play!
- Voice acting! (but no idea how much, they did mention they added a lot though)
- Absolutely nothing like ME, but neither is Baldur's Gate (thank god)

Can't wait to play D:OS EE with my mate after work tomorrow. The combat in this game is so good that it has effectively killed my joy playing ARPGs.

danthefan

I can't remember what classes I used initially. I certainly had two mages and a warrior but the fourth is escaping me. Are the only other two classes an archer and rogue?

Think this time I might just use one of each.

I have the PC version with a merely two hour save.

I still don't know if I should stick to the PC version or go for the console one.

I really love playing in my couch.

Lanrutcon

I can't remember what classes I used initially. I certainly had two mages and a warrior but the fourth is escaping me. Are the only other two classes an archer and rogue?

Think this time I might just use one of each.

There are a few 'classes': Mage (the 5 kinds corresponding to the different kinds of magic), Man at Arms (Warrior), Scoundrel (Rogue), Archer (pew pew).

danowat

Banned
I picked a female battlemage for my "main" character, as that seemed the most balanced class to me, and a male rogue for ranged attacks, seems ok so far......

Lanrutcon

I didn't like that I had to craft every potion. Is it still here? Can I buy potions?

You could always buy potions from specific vendors. They were just very limited if you drank em like soda. The new version has a special note saying 'vendors sell more shit', so we'll see if that extends to potions.

Ploid 3.0

Wow nice, can't wait to download it in 5 hours. Guess I can delete my old files I had backed up on the other HDD. Will there be two versions, should I update the old version now and save it just in case?

I think I'll be ditching a warrior this time. I never felt like they helped other than being a bard, having high hp/def, and smacking things that tried to leave their area (only played near launch, around 2 months). I know there's a correct way of making them very useful, I suppose I could just see how other people use them. Two mages are a must though, they are so awesome.

Lanrutcon

I am sure I read somewhere there was a penalty for using potions, rather than crafting them?

I don't know of any, and I've been through the base game.

Also: vendors restock when you level up, so checking all vendors every time you level and buying rare stuff pays off for crafting special potions, arrows, armor/weapon upgrades, etc. Crafting was actually really, really handy now that I'm recalling all the uses.

AlanOC91

Can't wait to get stuck into this. Only have about 2 hours playtime in the original non enhanced version.

This time around I'm going to take it a proper go on my couch and try get immersed.

Do any of you recommend starting on tactician? These type of games wouldn't be my first and I tend to prefer a slightly higher challenge rather than ploughing through areas.

danowat

Banned
I don't know of any, and I've been through the base game.

Also: vendors restock when you level up, so checking all vendors every time you level and buying rare stuff paid off for crafting special potions, arrows, armor/weapon upgrades, etc. Crafting was actually really, really handy now that I'm recalling all the uses.

Yeah, I got my wires crossed.

Certain talents will even reward the player for eating food instead of buying copious amounts of healing potions.

heres a weird question.

just how long is this game?

I got passed the first 'town' (i guess?) on pc,
went to a lighthouse, found another town in the woods
if i remember right. how far did i get? it was awhile ago and i just had other stuff to play.

AlanOC91

heres a weird question.

if i remember right. how far did i get? it was awhile ago and i just had other stuff to play.

My mate has around 120 hours in one playthrough. Take what you will from that.

patapuf

Can't wait to get stuck into this. Only have about 2 hours playtime in the original non enhanced version.

This time around I'm going to take it a proper go on my couch and try get immersed.

Do any of you recommend starting on tactician? These type of games wouldn't be my first and I tend to prefer a slightly higher challenge rather than ploughing through areas.

From what we've seen, tactian is geared towards you having a good understanding of the mechanics.

Divinity isn't the most complex there is but understanding how the spell interaction work and what you can do with them takes some time. More than what the game will give you on tactician. If you don't mind a rough start go for it, if you prefer to learn this stuff organically i'd save it for a later playthrough.

Hard is difficult enough, at least for the first half.

heres a weird question.

Most common times i've heard were 60-70 hours, but the EE will be a bit longer due to new content.

yuraya

heres a weird question.

About 80-100 hours if you don't use a guide/walkthrough. If you do use a guide probably around 50-80.

It also depends on how good you are in combat. That number will go up if you die a lot.

heres a weird question.

Very long. You're like 5% into the game or so. Game's like 60-80hours if you do sidequests and stuff. I think I did it in like 60 on my min max playthrough and that's with combat resolving pretty quickly cause I was bulldozing my way through.

Tenck

heres a weird question.

I've got 70 hours, and I'm not finished with it. I'm just going to go ahead and do the EE instead.

NoWayOut

Can't wait to play this on PS4! I put about 30 hours in with the PC version when it came out, but didn't manage to complete it. Now I'm ready for this version.

Top Bottom