• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murder on the Orient Express | Official Trailer 2

"It was simple. We thought he had been shot. But in chasing this erroneous conclusion, we missed the obvious staring us right in our eyes.

They were FINGERED to death."

jett

D-Member
I watched the '74 movie some time ago, I thought it was pretty dull. This looks like the XTREME version, but I don't really know how you make something interesting out of that story.

Toa TAK

Banned
"It was simple. We thought he had been shot. But in chasing this erroneous conclusion, we missed the obvious staring us right in our eyes.

They were FINGERED to death."

97a4a10fb06e1f29cc57196384638f606566ece5cc263249156e00e3b51ac359.gif

JCHandsom

All aboard the hype train!

I'm only familiar with the 1974 film, which changed the ending I believe? Curious to see if this film does the same ending, sticks to the book ending, or tries something completely different.

Ridley Scott is producing this.

I wouldn't be averse to them changing the ending to Fassbender's David being the murderer

no no no nonononononono

I don't know for sure if that's the case but I was just going by how the sequence leading up to the murder was edited. I also missed Depp pulling out the the same gun model, thanks for pointing that out.

You seem incredibly detail oriented for someone who's so spoiler averse to this product you have avoided it your entire life

berzeli

Banned
I'm only familiar with the 1974 film, which changed the ending I believe? Curious to see if this film does the same ending, sticks to the book ending, or tries something completely different.
The 1974 one did not change anything really iirc, it dropped a few things, and the Poirot characterisation is a bit different. But it follows the book very closely.

JCHandsom

The 1974 one did not change anything really iirc, it dropped a few things, and the Poirot characterisation is a bit different. But it follows the book very closely.

Ah, okay. It's been a long time since I've seen the film, and I could've sworn somebody told me it was different in the book, but that's just me. Really liked it, interested to see what they do here.

Showed my mom the trailer (she's a HUGE fan of mysteries, Poirot especially) and she's already planning on seeing it.

The heaviest modification an adaptation has ever made was the PC game they did a long time ago

Suchet voices Poirot, but you play as someone created for the game, and you can change the ending entirely if you want

SeanC

I feel the style and tone of the movie isn't really what this trailer represents. Trailer is trying to be hip and cool but that doesn't really fit the tone of the story. I mean, it's directed by Brannah, he's not someone who tries to be "hip and cool." He's pretty old school.

SexyFish

Banned
I can't tell if I think Kenneth Branagh is a great director who just hasn't cared for the last couple of years or if he just got super lucky with Shakespeare plays.

Jedi2016

Hard to say. The trailer is clearly cut together to entice today's ADD crowd, who probably wouldn't enjoy the film at all if it's even remotely like the book. Makes it look like an action-oriented thriller, when it should be pure suspense. I'll have to wait and see what the actual reviews say.

wandering

Banned
I feel the style and tone of the movie isn't really what this trailer represents. Trailer is trying to be hip and cool but that doesn't really fit the tone of the story. I mean, it's directed by Brannah, he's not someone who tries to be "hip and cool." He's pretty old school.

He's done some pretty pop-culturey stuff. He directed Thor and Jack Ryan.

I can't tell if I think Kenneth Branagh is a great director who just hasn't cared for the last couple of years or if he just got super lucky with Shakespeare plays.

I'm pretty wary of anything he directs outside of Shakespeare tbh. The man is just pure mediocrity behind the camera

This would be a skip too if it wasn't for the cast and the agatha Christie story

Oh, I thought Bobby's reaction was because literally every human being over the age of 20 knows what the twist of the story is, because it's one of the most famous kinds of twists of all time.

I didn't know the ending until I watched the Suchet version just a few years ago (and yes I am well over 20). *shrug*

In general I think a lot of people tend to overestimate the degree to which the things they like and know about are known outside the circles of people who like the same things they like. A lot of people today don't read and especially don't read century-old mystery novels and wouldn't be conversant in even the most famous of them -- these are people whose sole consumption of pop culture is contemporary and mainstream. And even if you want to say that some works are so ubiquitous that they become enshrined into pop culture discussions at large, that still assumes that everybody participates and listens to pop culture discussions at large, even of works with which they are not familiar. I'm not sure that's the case.

PaulloDEC

It looks very slick, but I'm not sure I can get past the casting of Poirot. After a lifetime of watching David Suchet, Kenneth Branagh just looks like everything the character isn't; he's tall and imposing, traditionally handsome, he looks strong and tough... it's a difficult thing to adjust to.

Top Bottom