• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Studios Could Launch $30 Movie Rental Service Early Next Year

kunonabi

I mean if im in a rush to see a movie ill see it in the theatre with all the bells and whistles that come with that. Otherwise i have no problem waiting for the 2-6$ Redbox/Amazon rental. This middleground period where paying 30$ seems like a good idea just doesn't seem like something I'd ever consider.

A $30 rental for a 30 to 45 day old movie? If you went 45 days without seeing the movie wouldn't most people just wait another few weeks for the digital release or Blu-ray or a much cheaper rental?

If it was day 1 with theaters, or even a week delayed I think tons of people might do it.
My thoughts exactly.

Kind of people who would wait 30-45 days after release are the kind of people who already wait for home video release anyhow. This time table makes no sense.

Apt101

Overall I am not sure I watch $30 worth of entertainment in theaters a month, on average, counting me and my GF. But it's intriguing. I know that if I subscribed I certainly would start doing so.

-Deimos

You got me f*cked up if you think I'm gonna spend an extra $20 on a movie ticket just so I don't have to leave my house. But then again, that's just me. Apparently, all of GAF has home theatres, 7.1 surround sound and neighbors who are deaf.

Thoughts?
Some people also have friends to split the cost with. Day 1.

As for the piracy argument, Netflix is doing just fine the last time I checked.

Cake Boss

Banned
Wouldn't that just increase piracy and reduces the amount of people going to the movies?

Isn't that the opposite of what you should be seeking to accomplish movie studios?

rjinaz

I'm sure there is an audience but I'd rather wait 30-45 more days and just own it digitally. I get most new releases for $6 through people selling digital codes.

So for me my two choices are go to the theater, or wait for digital.

andthebeatgoeson

This is exactly the usecase for this, which is of course why GAF doesn't get it because it's not aimed at them.
Naw, plenty of people have explained it. Just because you have a new born doesn't stop you from being apathetic about a movie 1 month after release.

I have 3 kids and my disinterest is higher about movies. Once the ads stop, i have no interest. This would be great for my 5 member family compared to the movies but we still like the experience of actually going to the movies. It's the movie makers who convinced us to 'let's go out to the movies' and get over priced snacks. That messaging has worked phenomenally and no one is excited about last month's movies. That's born out in many ways, including the opening week 2.5 multiplier: that means everything is front loaded and less people are interested after the first movie. By then, you have 3 new movies to look forward to, less ads for old movies, less talk, etc. That's not our fault.

ElRenoRaven

A $30 rental for a 30 to 45 day old movie? If you went 45 days without seeing the movie wouldn't most people just wait another few weeks for the digital release or Blu-ray or a much cheaper rental?

If it was day 1 with theaters, or even a week delayed I think tons of people might do it.

Yup. That price for that long of a wait is bullshit. Rather save money and just wait for Netflix, etc.

Cake Boss

Banned
Hmmm it's good value for families and groups but for 1 person it makes no sense.

$10 for a movie ticket.
+ $20 for UHD Blue Ray physical copy if you really want to own the movie, with all the benefits of physical copy over digital.

>

Renting a digital copy 45 days earlier for $30.

Kusagari

Only really makes sense for families.

Wait 30 days and then watch the latest Marvel movie with your kids at home with your own food.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
30 bucks is for Day 1 and nothing less. I'm patient enough to wait if they're going for 30-45 days.

They have this day 1 right now but it's $500 for a 24-hour UHD rental and the player costs $35,000.

This is one of things that's hard to argue for or against. It completely depends on your situation.

If you're a family and have a great home theatre setup, this makes sense. But all you really gain is seeing it sooner than later.

If you're willing to wait, you can see it for the price of a blu ray...or a rental of one.

Once everyone does the flow charting on this to determine if it makes sense, I have a feeling it wouldn't do well. The street dates on the biggest movies these days seem to happen somewhat sooner than they used to years ago.

ISOM

If people wait another 45 days they can get the movie for way cheaper on Amazon, dvd or some shit like that. The cost doesn't justify the release date.

T-0800

Choice is great and all but for me I'm happy waiting. No way I'm going to pay $30 to rent a movie that will be $5 a few months later.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
I'd pay $30 only if I could rent the film within a week it was released. Beyond that it's too much to pay for the average film.

They desperately need to completely get rid of the dead time between when a film is taken out of theaters and released on bluray.
And get rid of rental exclusivity bullshit too, stop asking me buy a $20 digital copy because the only place to rent it is my (former) cable provider.

With MoviePass just dropping to $10/month, this is already too late. I would have done this a few years ago and if it was closer to release, but even then 4-6 weeks after release I can wait until the digital release.

Leynos

Oh, cool, spend thirty bucks to avoid noisy-eaters, slobs, talkers, and...wait...

30- 45 days out? This is useless. Might as well just wait for the blu-ray.

Edit: what the hell is going on? Why is the word "blu-ray" a link?

andthebeatgoeson

I'm gonna say it doesn't make sense for families. Only rich families. Families i know are falling asleep in front of the couch after a month and ordering takeout. Why rent the old movie for $30 when you can rent the other old movie for $5?

Who actually gives a fuck that King Kong is 5 months old, it's a movie. And i just saw it on on-demand last week and we enjoyed it and still feel asleep. And watched it the next day. Or i could have gone to Walmart and bought a bluray for $20. This seems like a terrible idea in many ways and comparisons.

snap

Banned
that $50 after 17 days is a better sell than this

at least with that you can get a handful of people and watch a movie relatively close to opening date

nobody wants to go out and see a movie a month after it's been released

Oh, cool, spend thirty bucks to avoid noisy-eaters, slobs, talkers, and...wait...

30- 45 days out? This is useless. Might as well just wait for the blu-ray.

Edit: what the hell is going on? Why is the word "blu-ray" a link?

it's showing up in other posts too. this is not cool.

edit: and now it's stopped?

I'm gonna say it doesn't make sense for families. Only rich families. Families i know are falling asleep in front of the couch after a month and ordering takeout. Why rent the old movie for $30 when you can rent the other old movie for $5?

Who actually gives a fuck that King Kong is 5 months old, it's a movie. And i just saw it on on-demand last week and we enjoyed it and still feel asleep. And watched it the next day. Or i could have gone to Walmart and bought a bluray for $20. This seems like a terrible idea in many ways and comparisons.

when you've seen the new releases for rental already in theaters or otherwise want to see something in theaters but don't want to go to the theater this would come into play

RowdyReverb

A godsend for people with kids who can't reliably get to the theater while a movie is showing. Would be able to watch blockbusters close to the same time as the rest of the world, and the cost of a sitter would offset the higher price per rental

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Have any of you people mentioning MoviePass actually signed up? I still haven't seen their servers work for even a second.
I feel like I'm being pranked.

TronWayne

I just go to the matinee on weekends for 6 bucks, never buy snacks, and only occasionally buy drinks. If the ole lady has her big purse we just bring 20 ouncers. I haven't experienced the high prices everyone mentions. This would be a no go, wouldn't even cross my mind.

Seesaw15

Same day or bust. If it's a big movie I want to see in the theaters I'll go opening weekend. If I can wait 45 days I'm better off waiting for it to be on dvd and paying a dollar to rent.

Terrible plan for me.

Rival

Gold Member
No way not paying that to watch a movie I won't own. The only way it would work is if movies for sale started coming out way after the movie releases like way back in the VHS days but that's not going to happen either. Let me keep the dogital copy for $30 and we might be on to something.

The longer these studios continue to hold on to the traditional business model the more Netflix and Amazon continue to make them irrelevant.

Metalmarc

This could be good, wait hear me out.

If it encourages some people to go "Oh you know what? it's bloody cheaper to go to the cinema than it is to rent", then we may (note the may) get even more people going back to the cinema.

This may also be nice for housebound people, if they can share the costs, and maybe a family of four or more at £10 per person (not counting cheap days) = £40 for a family of four, thats before snacks.

This could be good, wait hear me out.

If it encourages some people to go "Oh you know what? it's bloody cheaper to go to the cinema than it is to rent", then we may (note the may) get even more people going back to the cinema.

This may also be nice for housebound people, if they can share the costs, and maybe a family of four or more at £10 per person (not counting cheap days) = £40 for a family of four, thats before snacks.

30-45 days after release, a lot of movies are already out of the big chains and heading to second run/dollar theaters.

Top Bottom